who do you believe will be our starting receivers & qb by preseason

Jetknowledge

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for it but he's young and cheap and doesn't make sense to get rid of unless you're packaging him in a trade.

I mean he'll be in camp most likely but I wouldn't be surprised to see him let go. Unless we can pull off an AJ Jenkins like swap like the Niners/Chiefs did.

Bradford had no real WRs in StL either.  What, the first bunch of games of Tavon Austin's career? Caught a bunch of 3-5 yard passes is all I remember.  

Still he's shown improvement (perhaps thanks to working with Brian Schottenheimer, who everyone blamed for Sanchez's ineptitude).  But he came into the league with injury concerns and has missed significant time in 2 of his 4 seasons so far.  Whether they're related or not is irrelevant; some guys are just more brittle than others.  

But for his great improvement numbers, 9 of those 14 TDs came in 3 games against Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Houston.  Give him credit because literally everyone didn't toss 3 TD passes against them, but still none of them were any good.  He had a good game against Arizona, but they were a pretty schizo defense no matter what their final ranking was.  They got man-handled badly a handful of times last season, including that week 1 game against the Rams.

I think he's overrated.  I also think St Louis isn't moving him.  They drafted him #1, paid him all that money, he finally looks like he's turning the corner and then they're going to dump him to begin that process all over again with another rookie QB? Fat chance.

Great points.  SHOULD the Rams move him?  Yeah, probably.  They can do better.  Will they?  This offseason?  Not a chance.  

I'm all for it but he's young and cheap and doesn't make sense to get rid of unless you're packaging him in a trade.

I see what you mean, I have the same problem with it. It's kind of a tricky situation they're in right now. Too light on talent as a group and yet only so many spots to go around. And does Hill play special teams?

I think if they're taking risks with guys like Maclin then they're going to want to supplement that with a couple other capable guys.

You think Cook will last into the second round at our selection? Most have him going in the 1st even McShay in his mock had him going to us. But if he were to then right off the bat he would be better then Kerley.

No one knows. Cook is a beast though so he could be off the board by the end of the 1st round. Then we could simply go for Jarvis Landry, not as freakish as cook, but his hands are definitely better. Im actually thinking about redoing this anyway. Im really liking Austin Seferian-jenkins

No one knows. Cook is a beast though so he could be off the board by the end of the 1st round. Then we could simply go for Jarvis Landry, not as freakish as cook, but his hands are definitely better. Im actually thinking about redoing this anyway. Im really liking Austin Seferian-jenkins

I was surprised to see that Emory Hunt had Seferian-Jenkins as his #1 TE. I've been meaning to ask him about that because that's kind of a huge deal. He's been slipping to round 2 or even round 3 on most mock drafts, but he seems to be climbing up the boards rather fast.

Either way, the presence of a 3rd top tier TE (if you count Ebron and Amaro as well) would be great news for us in this draft. Hopefully 1 of the 3 can fall to us in round 2.

I was surprised to see that Emory Hunt had Seferian-Jenkins as his #1 TE. I've been meaning to ask him about that because that's kind of a huge deal. He's been slipping to round 2 or even round 3 on most mock drafts, but he seems to be climbing up the boards rather fast.

Either way, the presence of a 3rd top tier TE (if you count Ebron and Amaro as well) would be great news for us in this draft. Hopefully 1 of the 3 can fall to us in round 2.

I dont pay mind to these mocks. Why? Because last year no one knew who Ebron or Amaro was (meaning people who arent college football fans) but you knew who Seferian-Jenkins was. I remember poeple last year talking about wanting to draft him as a sophomore when he put up almost 900 yards and 7 TD's. Ebron and Amaro had a good year this year while Austin had a relatively quite one in relation to his sophomore year. 

I think between the 3 Austin could be better, why? Because he can stay on the field during running plays and he can pass protect, something that the Jets have never really had from a TE. His ability in the passing game is obvious. Actually I think i am going to redo my list! lol

Geno Smith

1. Free Agent

2. Draft Pick

3. Jeremy Kerley

4. David Nelson

5. Stephen Hill

6. Draft Pick

7. Free Agent gets cut. "pulls a Peterman"

and, just to get it out there, Jeff Cumberland is fine as our starting TE.

Jeff Cumberland is a decent to solid #2 tight end but has no business starting. An upgrade is definitely needed.

Jeff Cumberland is a decent to solid #2 tight end but has no business starting. An upgrade is definitely needed.

I think a lot of fans have illusions of grandeur when it comes to certain positions, TE is one of them.  There are maybe six elite TEs in the league, we don't need to enter the race to find the next GREAT one.  We need a serviceable blocker that can keep the underneath routes as available options.  I'd rather focus on getting elite outside threats, and a GREAT running back (with hands).  Our TE should be the third or fourth option in the passing game, and for that role, Cumberland/Zudfield (sp)  is just fine. 

Geno

Hill

Maclin

Sanders

And a bold prediction, hill will be the 1st 1,000 yard receiver in the rex ryan era, and geno will pass the standing most passing yards in a season held by joe namath, 4,007 yards.

Ok I think you need to take a breath-

Lol, right

Geno will average around 255 yards a game, and hill will average around 65 yards a game.

That's 4,080 for geno and 1,040 for hill

Have you seen our Schedule? We play in the NFL, not the Arena league. AND our coach would rather run 50 times and pass only if the microphone to Martys headset is malfunctioning.

Have you seen our Schedule? We play in the NFL, not the Arena league. AND our coach would rather run 50 times and pass only if the microphone to Martys headset is malfunctioning.

To add some facts marty loves to pass, he said that when he first arrived

And obviously we're in the nfl, and being that for a while geno as a rookie lead the league in deep passes and stephen hill has a 4.3 speed I don't see what's hard to believe?

And the schedule is just a schedule any given sunday the game is up for grabs.

I don't have that much of a problem with Cumberland starting, but I'm pretty sure he is a free agent. 

Cumberland only had 40 targets, but on a per-play basis, he was one of the best TEs in the league last season. I seriously doubt that will hold up if we start throwing it in his direction 5 times a game, but it'll be interesting to see what the team thinks of him.

Cumberland only had 40 targets, but on a per-play basis, he was one of the best TEs in the league last season. I seriously doubt that will hold up if we start throwing it in his direction 5 times a game, but it'll be interesting to see what the team thinks of him.

Cumberland would be Julius Thomas if Peyton was his QB.

edit- I should say Cumberland could play Thomas' role on the Broncos and put up those types of numbers.

That same head coach allowed a rookie Geno Smith to throw the ball the 19th most times in the NFL, it's not unreasonable to think the'll throw it more his second year in the league.

How would you guys feel if we ended up 2 good rookie TE's?

2 out of 4 of these guys: Ebron, Amaro, Seferian-Jenkins and Niklas?

Cumberland walks, you sign Maclin and the lineup looks something like this:

QB: Geno

WR: Maclin

WR: Nelson or Hill

WR: Kerley

TE: Ebron

TE: Seferian-Jenkins

How would you guys feel if we ended up 2 good rookie TE's?

2 out of 4 of these guys: Ebron, Amaro, Seferian-Jenkins and Niklas?

Cumberland walks, you sign Maclin and the lineup looks something like this:

QB: Geno

WR: Maclin

WR: Nelson or Hill

WR: Kerley

TE: Ebron

TE: Seferian-Jenkins

I would hate it.

I watched Ebron vs Duke, I was not impressed. He had one long catch & run, but was caught from behind by two defenders. It was a play Cumberland could have made. On top of that, reports are that he's put on significant weight to improve his blocking, but that will take away from his greatest asset, which in my opinion isn't that great to begin with. In this game he was molested by their CB on multiple plays, dropped easy passes, and was horrible in blocking.

Taking the highest injury risk in FA, and calling it a day doesn't do it for me either. We need to upgrade our outside threats. Cumby and Sudfeld should be fine intermediary options if we have legit deep threats to take the top off.

Add in the fact that we don't really run a 2-TE offense and I'd say it would be a horrible misuse of our available resources.

To add some facts marty loves to pass, he said that when he first arrived

And obviously we're in the nfl, and being that for a while geno as a rookie lead the league in deep passes and stephen hill has a 4.3 speed I don't see what's hard to believe?

And the schedule is just a schedule any given sunday the game is up for grabs.

Rex's favorite offense was built in the 60's.

That same head coach allowed a rookie Geno Smith to throw the ball the 19th most times in the NFL, it's not unreasonable to think the'll throw it more his second year in the league.

This is actually a surprising stat. For us not to be last in pass attempts goes against everything Rex stands for. I'm impressed.

Interesting.  It will be more interesting to see what other teams think of him.  

Archived