Jags Open to Trading 3rd Overall Pick

jgb

Johnny Jet?

David Caldwell: Jags open trading No. 3 overall pick

Jaguars general manager David Caldwell wouldn't take an overt stance like the team's owner, Shad Khan, did last week on Jacksonville's chances of drafting a quarterback.

"We're going through the process now," Caldwell said Thursday at a Jaguars Fan Forum, per The Florida Times-Union.

Caldwell did let on that his team has tentatively narrowed down whom they might target with the No. 3 overall pick.

"There's a consensus here," he said, per the team's official website. "We have a good idea who our Top 5 guys might be, but that's going to differ from team to team. It's hard to get a consensus among your own building, and the whole league."

Caldwell said the Jags would also consider trading down if the opportunity presented itself.

"We would not discourage that at all," Caldwell said. "I think it's a possibility, but it's so early in the process. There are going to be guys who are going to be weeded out. Some may have injury issues. Some may have other issues. Everyone thinks they're going to be a Top 10 pick and now they're not even going to be in the conversation.

"Then there will be guys that rise, (players) who have a great week at the combine."

The current three top-rated quarterbacks most likely to be linked to the Jaguars are Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles. Sitting at No. 3, the Jags will have a shot at one of those men, if Caldwell eventually decides quarterback is the way to go early in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000324358/article/david-caldwell-jags-open-trading-no-3-overall-pick

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets would need to move up to #1 or #2 to realistically get the QB they want.  

The cost for that trade would be more than the redskins gave up for RG3.   Looking at the cost I say no f'ing way could the Jets move all the way up.  For the Jets it would look something like: 

2014:

RD 1, #18

RD 2, #49

RD 3, #80

2015:

RD 1

2016:

RD1

The Jets would need to move up to #1 or #2 to realistically get the QB they want.

The cost for that trade would be more than the redskins gave up for RG3. Looking at the cost I say no f'ing way could the Jets move all the way up. For the Jets it would look something like:

2014:

RD 1, #18

RD 2, #49

RD 3, #80

2015:

RD 1

2016:

RD1

No question the Redskins would take a Do-Over on that one.

Way to much for RG3 and way, way to much for Manziel.

The cost for that trade would be more than the redskins gave up for RG3.   Looking at the cost I say no f'ing way could the Jets move all the way up.  For the Jets it would look something like: 

2014:

RD 1, #18

RD 2, #49

RD 3, #80

2015:

RD 1

2016:

RD1

NO, RGIII and LUCK were considered much better prospects, basically, cant miss FRANCHISE guys, where although theses are great prospects, Manziel and Bridgewater, they are not rated near as high, as those 2, in fact LUCK had some of the best grades EVER. The Jets would have to TRADE #1's this year, give up #1 next year, and a # 2 this year or next, to get to where they would need to be. They would only do this of course with Jacksonville at #3, if St Louis or Houston grabs Clowney, and 1 of the 2 top QB's is still available, unless they want to take a shot at St, Louis's slot.

No question the Redskins would take a Do-Over on that one.

Way to much for RG3 and way, way to much for Manziel.

the redskins would take a do over because Shanahan played RG3 with a sprained knee and he ended up tearing his ACL.     People forget just how good RG3 was as a rookie.  

If RG3 doesn't blow out his ACL it's debatable if they would take the do-over or not.   

NO, RGIII and LUCK were considered much better prospects, basically, cant miss FRANCHISE guys, where although theses are great prospects, Manziel and Bridgewater, they are not rated near as high, as those 2, in fact LUCK had some of the best grades EVER. The Jets would have to TRADE #1's this year, give up #1 next year, and a # 2 this year or next, to get to where they would need to be. They would only do this of course with Jacksonville at #3, if St Louis or Houston grabs Clowney, and 1 of the 2 top QB's is still available, unless they want to take a shot at St, Louis's slot.

sorry bro, you have no idea what you're talking about.  

The Redskins moved from #6 to #2.    That's 4 spots in the draft or 1,000 points on the value chart.    The Jets need to move from #18 to #2, that's almost 2x as much in terms of the value chart.     I was actually being conservative with the cost to move up that far.   

your logic for moving up that far is flawed anyway.   If Luck and RG3 are elite prospects and Bridgewater / Manziel are not "elite", why would the Jets or any team for that matter even consider moving up?   

Before you commit 3 years worth of draft picks for a player you should probably be certain.    These types of trades rarely work out, and for a cursed franchise like the Jets making any kind of huge bet on one player is always asking for trouble - see Robertson, Dwayne or Sanchez, Mark.    

The Jets have too many holes to fill, and no depth whatsoever.  They can't afford to trade away multiple picks.

They have or will have 12 picks. Under my scenario, they get a FRANCHISE QB, and still have 10,thats TEN picks. A franchise QB, and 10 picks to fill depth and needs? YES PLEASE.

sorry bro, you have no idea what you're talking about.  

The Redskins moved from #6 to #2.    That's 4 spots in the draft or 1,000 points on the value chart.    The Jets need to move from #18 to #2, that's almost 2x as much in terms of the value chart.     I was actually being conservative with the cost to move up that far.   

your logic for moving up that far is flawed anyway.   If Luck and RG3 are elite prospects and Bridgewater / Manziel are not "elite", why would the Jets or any team for that matter even consider moving up?   

Before you commit 3 years worth of draft picks for a player you should probably be certain.    These types of trades rarely work out, and for a cursed franchise like the Jets making any kind of huge bet on one player is always asking for trouble - see Robertson, Dwayne or Sanchez, Mark.

I would NOT do the Redskins deal. If they want that much, then simply say NO. BUT offer less and see if they bite.

There is elite and then their is all world elite: LUCK, RGIII, ELWAY, MANNING etc. are ALL_WORLD elite. 2nd level Elite is still pretty damn good, and lot better than what we have now.

in fact LUCK had some of the best grades EVER.

so did Ryan Leaf and Rick Mirer.  

the NFL draft is littered with can't miss busts....especially at the QB position.   

it's all theory anyway but there is such a minute chance that the Jets could get up that far it's not even worth discussing.   The only real chance they have to get one of the top QBs is if they drop past #6.   The Jets could realistically get to #7 (Tampa) ahead of Minnesota and pick a QB.

If one of the QBs drops past Minnesota @ 8 then the entire draft changes and the he could drop all the way to #18 or Idzik could move up a few spots and make the pick.   

so did Ryan Leaf and Rick Mirer.  

the NFL draft is littered with can't miss busts....especially at the QB position.   

it's all theory anyway but there is such a minute chance that the Jets could get up that far it's not even worth discussing.   The only real chance they have to get one of the top QBs is if they drop past #6.   The Jets could realistically get to #7 (Tampa) ahead of Minnesota and pick a QB.

If one of the QBs drops past Minnesota @ 8 then the entire draft changes and the he could drop all the way to #18 or Idzik could move up a few spots and make the pick.

I agree, and I don't even trust TB at #7. They might like Glennon, but if one of the top 3 drops to them, they could swoop in. Didn't they only use a 3rd rounder on Glennon? Not much to lose going in another direction.

They have or will have 12 picks. Under my scenario, they get a FRANCHISE QB, and still have 10,thats TEN picks. A franchise QB, and 10 picks to fill depth and needs? YES PLEASE.

To move up from 18 to 3 would require more than two picks in a trade.  It would probably require at least two firsts (this year and next year), plus a few more picks.

I don't see Idzik doing that.

To move up from 18 to 3 would require more than two picks in a trade.  It would probably require at least two firsts (this year and next year), plus a few more picks.

I don't see Idzik doing that.

Yes, I agree, if you look at my post, they switch #1's this year, they would get a #1 next year, and I would let them choose a #2 this year or next. That is far less than what the Redskins gave up, but those 2 prospects RGIII and LUCK were far superior to Manziel and Bridgewater. Redskins had to give up another #1 from a 3rd year. I would not do that, its toom much, but make the lesser offer and see if they bite.

The Jets don't have the resources to move up that far without depleting the next two or three years' drafts, and the Jags have no desire to slide all the way down to #18 - as they have their own QB needs that are almost as dire as ours.

If one of the top three or four QBs slides out of the top ten or twelve picks, maybe you see the Jets put a package together to move up. Maybe. I could see the Jets making a relatively modest move like that for a QB or WR this year. Top three is out of the question, though.

I'm thinking the Jets QB in this draft is more likely to be of the Mettenberger, McCarron, Garoppolo variety.

Yes, I agree, if you look at my post, they switch #1's this year, they would get a #1 next year, and I would let them choose a #2 this year or next. That is far less than what the Redskins gave up, but those 2 prospects RGIII and LUCK were far superior to Manziel and Bridgewater. Redskins had to give up another #1 from a 3rd year. I would not do that, its toom much, but make the lesser offer and see if they bite.

Moving that far up would require something along the lines of what Lionel Richie mentioned at the beginning of the thread.  It doesn't matter that Washington gave that much up for a better prospect.  What matters is they gave up that much to move up, period.  

If you're giving up first round picks for multiple years, you better be damn sure the player you pick is going to be someone really special.

Moving that far up would require something along the lines of what Lionel Richie mentioned at the beginning of the thread.  It doesn't matter that Washington gave that much up for a better prospect.  What matters is they gave up that much to move up, period.  

If you're giving up first round picks for multiple years, you better be damn sure the player you pick is going to be someone really special.

I agree 100%

SANCHIZE? Worst EVER by far.

bowling ball with butcher knives

boarhunter

bollywood

noodlearm

pick6

With recent, I meant more in the last handful of months. It's weird though, I usually love alliterations.   Bollywood actually made me laugh outloud, that's just classic. 

the redskins would take a do over because Shanahan played RG3 with a sprained knee and he ended up tearing his ACL.     People forget just how good RG3 was as a rookie.  

If RG3 doesn't blow out his ACL it's debatable if they would take the do-over or not.   

RG3 played well because of a pass thrown off the read option. That play was scrutinized to death over last off season and teams learned how to defense it and it was not effective this year. RG3 is not even the best QB on his own roster.

Would it be a dumb decision to trade up to 3 for Watkins or Evans?

Huge trade-ups are normally reserved fro Franchise QB's, except of course if your name is DITKA, where you trade your entire draft for a pothead RB who would rather be reading scripture from the Dalai Lama, than running over LB's.

Archived