receivers and corners

Jetknowledge

Based off of history winners are complete teams.

can run and stop the run, pass and stop the pass.

With rex in charge I'm confident our defense will fix there issues and our run game will improve.

I for one believe geno is the future and knowing we want to get rid of some wasted money and open up roster spots.

We will cut ties to cromartie and holmes, I frankly don't care about qb because if you have no receivers then a qb won't reach max potential and you can lose fastest at the qb & cb positions.

Idzik said he attacks free agency at a need base, and drafts at a talent base.

In FA who would you like to see us sign at corner and at receiver TO START?

My question was WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO SIGN AS OUR #1 CORNER & RECEIVER THROUGH FREE AGENCY

Decker is the best receiver on the market. We have the cash to get him if he's willing to come. That's easy enough. If we can't get him, Tate is my backup plan.

As for corner, I think they'll cut Cromartie and then try to bring him back at a reduced rate and I, for one, am quite happy with that. It depends on whether or not he's healthy. I don't believe he's as bad as he was in 2013, but nor is he as good as he was in 2012. Somewhere in between. Cro/Milliner/Wilson is fine, then you see what happens in the draft because maybe you end up with a player there as well. Either way I think they'll end up with an upgrade at safety and possibly one at OLB as well, so the pressure on the corners should be a bit less this season.

Decker is the best receiver on the market. We have the cash to get him if he's willing to come. That's easy enough. If we can't get him, Tate is my backup plan.

As for corner, I think they'll cut Cromartie and then try to bring him back at a reduced rate and I, for one, am quite happy with that. It depends on whether or not he's healthy. I don't believe he's as bad as he was in 2013, but nor is he as good as he was in 2012. Somewhere in between. Cro/Milliner/Wilson is fine, then you see what happens in the draft because maybe you end up with a player there as well. Either way I think they'll end up with an upgrade at safety and possibly one at OLB as well, so the pressure on the corners should be a bit less this season.

I agree with all but him returning I think he can get more then we will give somewhere else.

And brent grimes to me is the best corner in FA but I believe he will be franchised.

So I think we will bring in aqib talib or maybe alteraun verner.

At receiver I think decker is to expensive but kenny britt will be cheap and won't be many teams after him because of his history.

And physically he has everything want in a #1

I think the biggest problems last year

1.  QB play - Yes we had bad WRs and yes he was rookie.  I am in the group that thinks he will never be better than average.  I think this because I think his biggest problem last year was accuracy as he was always slightly ahead or behind his WRs.  I dont think that is something he can become elite with given his starting point.  I think his 2nd biggest problem was he was clueless out there he probably made one of the better OL in league look like one of the worst because he does not know how protections work.  This is something he can learn and get better at which may make him a serviceable QB in league.

2.  OL - see above yes we have bad QB play that highlighted the OL weaknesses but it was definetly evident at times if we had Joe Montana back there he would have got killed at times too.  Not too mention penalties.  I Do think there is great foundation there and we need to sign Howard.  Not sure Winters should be left guard though I think he is more of a mauling RG and I think Mangold, Winters, and Howard would make an awesome running attack to the right.  Get yourself a true blocking TE, a real FB, and watch what happens.

3. Secondary - Cro is done and both S need replacement.  Allen is serviceable but the Jets need a true FS.  I think though that money needs to be invested on the OF side of the ball though and we need to patch work this secondary with 2nd tier players.  Rex needs to put his money where his mouth is.  If he is the best defensive coach of all time (is what he wants us to believe) then he should be able to stop opposing teams with HS players.

1. QB play - Yes we had bad WRs and yes he was rookie. I am in the group that thinks he will never be better than average. I think this because I think his biggest problem last year was accuracy as he was always slightly ahead or behind his WRs. I dont think that is something he can become elite with given his starting point. I think his 2nd biggest problem was he was clueless out there he probably made one of the better OL in league look like one of the worst because he does not know how protections work. This is something he can learn and get better at which may make him a serviceable QB in league.

2. OL - see above yes we have bad QB play that highlighted the OL weaknesses but it was definetly evident at times if we had Joe Montana back there he would have got killed at times too. Not too mention penalties. I Do think there is great foundation there and we need to sign Howard. Not sure Winters should be left guard though I think he is more of a mauling RG and I think Mangold, Winters, and Howard would make an awesome running attack to the right. Get yourself a true blocking TE, a real FB, and watch what happens.

3. Secondary - Cro is done and both S need replacement. Allen is serviceable but the Jets need a true FS. I think though that money needs to be invested on the OF side of the ball though and we need to patch work this secondary with 2nd tier players. Rex needs to put his money where his mouth is. If he is the best defensive coach of all time (is what he wants us to believe) then he should be able to stop opposing teams with HS players.

geno showed good and bad, his main problem was holding the ball to long and staring down receivers.

His receivers could barely get open, failed winning 1 on 1 matchups, and drop passes that would've built momentum or lead to big plays.

Every qb can be better with better talent that soots there skill sets.

O-line had to protect longer doing to how receivers weren't open, no excuses but still they would benefit from a better skills position.

I agree with secondary except the statement about rex should be good with hs players. That's idiotic!

No 1 will make a player who is not good enough for the league a nfl caliber receiver.

I'd like Cro back unless we sign Verner or Talib (and I find that unlikely). At receiver I'm not in love with anyone, Decker is the obvious choice but I worry he'll get overpaid. I'd be fine with Sanders, Maclin, or Tate. No matter who we pick up at WR in FA, we need to draft at that position and early.

geno showed good and bad, his main problem was holding the ball to long and staring down receivers.

His receivers could barely get open, failed winning 1 on 1 matchups, and drop passes that would've built momentum or lead to big plays.

Every qb can be better with better talent that soots there skill sets.

O-line had to protect longer doing to how receivers weren't open, no excuses but still they would benefit from a better skills position.

I agree with secondary except the statement about rex should be good with hs players. That's idiotic!

No 1 will make a player who is not good enough for the league a nfl caliber receiver.

Guess we were watching 2 diff qb. The qb I was watching threw a lot of interceptions which were way off the mark!

And you were in press box or have access to coach film? Just curious how you assertion that the we never got open or took too long to get open...uh OK beevis

I can't believe people are mentioning Kenny Britt. The guy had better be basically free and 100% not relied upon.

Ideally? Verner for CB and Tate for WR.

I like it

I could live with that

You guys are okay with Carl's ideal situation?  Cool 

Scenario A:

Sign Nicks and one of Sanders/Maclin/Tate. 

Cut and re-sign Cromartie. 

Draft Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor. 

Scenario B:

Sign one of SandersMaclin/Tate and Denario Alexander.

Cut and re-sign Cromartie

Draft Evans, Lee or Benjamin. 

Nothing against your plans, but I don't see these as realistic scenarios because I don't want to draft based on need.  They should sign who they want to sign and then draft.  Sitting and saying we need a safety on draft day is horrible business IMO. 

I can't believe people are mentioning Kenny Britt. The guy had better be basically free and 100% not relied upon.

You guys are okay with Carl's ideal situation?  Cool 

Nothing against your plans, but I don't see these as realistic scenarios because I don't want to draft based on need.  They should sign who they want to sign and then draft.  Sitting and saying we need a safety on draft day is horrible business IMO. 

Never particularly intended them to be realistic, more just my ideal scenario. While I think Lee is the best WR in the draft, I believe that the impact of drafting Pryor/Clinton-Dix could be greater than Lee's if we were to already have added those two WRs in free agency.  I agree, you always go BPA, but I don't particularly have a hardened list that has Lee at 5 and Pryor/Clinton-Dix at 15ish, so I just listed the scenarios I preferred. 

Guess we were watching 2 diff qb. The qb I was watching threw a lot of interceptions which were way off the mark!

And you were in press box or have access to coach film? Just curious how you assertion that the we never got open or took too long to get open...uh OK beevis

you could watch the game and see they weren't open butthead, and interceptions came from staring down receivers even the commentators said that, and bad reads.

Rookies tend to do that, he'll learn with more reps and coaching.

Kenny britt can easily be a number 1, especially here but he has to stay out of trouble.

Easily?  The guy has never had an 800 yard season.  He wasn't a number 1 in Tennessee.  He hasn't been better than a #3 option there since 2010 behind the likes of Nate Washington, Damian Williams, Lavelle Hawkins, Kendall Wright and Justin Hunter.  In two of the past 3 years he was below 300 yards. He will more easily be out of the league than a #1 in 2014. He's from RU so I am rooting for him, but still...

Easily?  The guy has never had an 800 yard season.  He wasn't a number 1 in Tennessee.  He hasn't been better than a #3 option there since 2010 behind the likes of Nate Washington, Damian Williams, Lavelle Hawkins, Kendall Wright and Justin Hunter.  In two of the past 3 years he was below 300 yards. He will more easily be out of the league than a #1 in 2014. He's from RU so I am rooting for him, but still...

And it's not like he'd be jumping to a team who has some Star QB.   Geno really needs some star WRs, not guys people hope would be a #2 WR on a team with Manning or Brady as QB.

And it's not like he'd be jumping to a team who has some Star QB. Geno really needs some star WRs, not guys people hope would be a #22 WR on a team with Manning or Brady as QB.

You know what, honestly, you just changed my mind on the guy. I still believe he's good but to much risk, still don't want nicks or decker thoe.

And it's not like he'd be jumping to a team who has some Star QB.   Geno really needs some star WRs, not guys people hope would be a #2 WR on a team with Manning or Brady as QB.

To be fair, the guy has not worked with great QBs with the Titans either - Vince Young, 147 year old Matt Hasselbeck, slightly older Kerry Collins, Jake Locker and Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Sanchez and Geno would fit right in on that Mount Rushmore.  

You know what, honestly, you just changed my mind on the guy. I still believe he's good but to much risk, still don't want nicks or decker thoe.

Haha.  That was easy.  I like Danario Alexander.  A lot. That is the kind of signing Britt would be.  The Jets need guys to minimize their needs before the draft.  Guys that can be counted on as starters if necessary.  Alexander and Britt are tack on guys.  They need at least one reliable guy, then they can add guys like Britt or Alexander as low risk, high reward guys.  Otherwise they still NEED to go WR in the draft. 

Geno was terrible.  You can chalk it up a hundred ways...but he showed nothing in the way of being a successful professional quarterback.  He made me miss Mark Sanchez. And Missing Mark Sanchez is like being in a relationship with a person so awful that you miss your ex-girlfriend, even though your ex-girlfriend is your uncle Jerry who says it's OK to drink beer if you let him massage you and don't tell your parents.  And when you tell them your dad tries to kill him and gets sentenced to 12 years for aggravated assault and you feel so bad about it you recant everything and now dad thinks he's in jail for nothing and you're just a whiny little bastard who got him locked up for nothing but then you say, "no, dad, it wasn't for nothing!  I love you for trying to protect me!" and he tries to shank you through the little slot in the Plexiglas divider and smashes the phone receiver against the partition and screams, "You're not my son!  Your not my son!  YOU'RE NOT MY SON!".  That's what its like.  Kinda.  The Christmas of 1987 was awful.  Just awful, really.

Geno was terrible. You can chalk it up a hundred ways...but he showed nothing in the way of being a successful professional quarterback. He made me miss Mark Sanchez. And Missing Mark Sanchez is like being in a relationship with a person so awful that you miss your ex-girlfriend, even though your ex-girlfriend is your uncle Jerry who says it's OK to drink beer if you let him massage you and don't tell your parents. And when you tell them your dad tries to kill him and gets sentenced to 12 years for aggravated assault and you feel so bad about it you recant everything and now dad thinks he's in jail for nothing and you're just a whiny little bastard who got him locked up for nothing but then you say, "no, dad, it wasn't for nothing! I love you for trying to protect me!" and he tries to shank you through the little slot in the Plexiglas divider and smashes the phone receiver against the partition and screams, "You're not my son! Your not my son! YOU'RE NOT MY SON!". That's what its like. Kinda. The Christmas of 1987 was awful. Just awful, really.

Lmao, I pray you're joking because i'm dying from laughter right now and would hate to imagine someone literally going threw this.

Geno was terrible.  You can chalk it up a hundred ways...but he showed nothing in the way of being a successful professional quarterback.  He made me miss Mark Sanchez. And Missing Mark Sanchez is like being in a relationship with a person so awful that you miss your ex-girlfriend, even though your ex-girlfriend is your uncle Jerry who says it's OK to drink beer if you let him massage you and don't tell your parents.  And when you tell them your dad tries to kill him and gets sentenced to 12 years for aggravated assault and you feel so bad about it you recant everything and now dad thinks he's in jail for nothing and you're just a whiny little bastard who got him locked up for nothing but then you say, "no, dad, it wasn't for nothing!  I love you for trying to protect me!" and he tries to shank you through the little slot in the Plexiglas divider and smashes the phone receiver against the partition and screams, "You're not my son!  Your not my son!  YOU'RE NOT MY SON!".  That's what its like.  Kinda.  The Christmas of 1987 was awful.  Just awful, really.

been there, done that

1.  QB play - Yes we had bad WRs and yes he was rookie.  I am in the group that thinks he will never be better than average.  I think this because I think his biggest problem last year was accuracy as he was always slightly ahead or behind his WRs.  I dont think that is something he can become elite with given his starting point.  I think his 2nd biggest problem was he was clueless out there he probably made one of the better OL in league look like one of the worst because he does not know how protections work.  This is something he can learn and get better at which may make him a serviceable QB in league.

2.  OL - see above yes we have bad QB play that highlighted the OL weaknesses but it was definetly evident at times if we had Joe Montana back there he would have got killed at times too.  Not too mention penalties.  I Do think there is great foundation there and we need to sign Howard.  Not sure Winters should be left guard though I think he is more of a mauling RG and I think Mangold, Winters, and Howard would make an awesome running attack to the right.  Get yourself a true blocking TE, a real FB, and watch what happens.

3. Secondary - Cro is done and both S need replacement.  Allen is serviceable but the Jets need a true FS.  I think though that money needs to be invested on the OF side of the ball though and we need to patch work this secondary with 2nd tier players.  Rex needs to put his money where his mouth is.  If he is the best defensive coach of all time (is what he wants us to believe) then he should be able to stop opposing teams with HS players.

GENO WAS MUCH BETTER THAN AVERAGE LAST 4 GAMES, GO BACK TO SCHOOL.

At corner so much depends on Milliner.  But I think the Jets have no real choice but to count him as a starter next year.  This does raise the question who should back him up, though, and I am not sure the CS thinks Walls is the answer there.  So some thought should probably be given to whether a backup to Milliner can be brought in, and ftr that does not mean by a high draft pick.  Not another one of those at cb.

On the other starter the easiest move is to redo Cro's contract and bring him back, presumably after a cut and resigning, which he seems prepared to do.  He will likely be signficantly more healthy, and in that respect last season was aberrational.  I don't think he's near finished, and expect he will get himself in shape for the season.

Wilson will have to do at the nickel, although ftr I think his stats were higher than they would have been because Milliner was such a target and Cro was hurt.  In short, redo Cro and decide whether Walls should be the first CB off the bench outside.  And Milliner we have to pray will be better.

At OL and somewhat similar to Milliner's situation, the Jets will have to see if Winter can develop.  Last year he was bad, but imo not awful.  I may have been too optimistic about later progress, but I did see some toward the end.  The right side issues I think will prevent the Jets from making a big move at LG.  As for the right side, I hope they can bring back Howard.  Colon I think is less than likely to come back.  The other issue at OL is Vlad.  He might not come back, either.  So even if Howard is brought back and they leave Winter as a starter, they will likely have to make two moves at OL this off season.

i dont like the idea of bringing Cro back. He can't cover and he's lost the ability to run. Between him and Ed Reed it wasn't pretty. The reason why the Dolphins lost that last game was cause they threw at the wrong corner. Does paying Cro less money make him faster? 

On the other starter the easiest move is to redo Cro's contract and bring him back, presumably after a cut and resigning, which he seems prepared to do.  He will likely be signficantly more healthy, and in that respect last season was aberrational.  I don't think he's near finished, and expect he will get himself in shape for the season.

Don't be so sure.  Cro has had this problem since 2008.  That is one reason we were able to get him.  He kind of sucked in 2008 and 2009.  To many his bounce back was a pretty big surprise.  The guy does not miss games, but he doesn't always perform at a high level either. 

Cut cro, new cb, or resign walls and bring in a safety (byrd & ward will stay with their teams)

Cut holmes, new receiver, or 2

Trade sanchez, bring in new qb.

This shouldn't cost more then the money these players already eat up.

All other positions will be filled in house most likely except 1 guard we mite bring in.

The draft will be best player available as a way to build for the future.

Archived