Breno Giacomini A Jet

F.Chowds

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two year starting right tackle Austin Howard left the New York Jets via free agency signing a five year $30 million contract with the Oakland Raiders.

It did take long for the team to find his replacement by making their first official non-jet 2014 free agent signing brining in offensive lineman Breno Giacomini from the World Champion Seattle Seahawks:

Giacomini to the Jets made sense with general manager John Idzik’s familiarity with the lineman from his time as a Seahawks executive.

Every teams QB is all that matters every year.  Does that mean you dont go fill holes and add talent to your team?

Many, if not most teams know generally what their QB will be.  We do not.

Of course you fill holes, but you don't necessarily make huge splashes like 1 year deals for CBs at 12M.  We're still building this team the right way.

Cant tell if serious..but jeez...that was a quick turnaround on the guy if you are.

I was joking. Winslow probably graded out good over 9 games last year too. You can like this signing all you want. I think it sucks.

Many, if not most teams know generally what their QB will be.  We do not.

Of course you fill holes, but you don't necessarily make huge splashes like 1 year deals for CBs at 12M.  We're still building this team the right way.

Agreed.  Guess I'm not sure what you're point was.

I got a feeling the Jets are giving Geno another year.  And as long as they add some talent around him, I'm fine with that.  In fact, I think thats the right thing to do because even though their might be a player who's immediately better, no FA or rookie makes the Jets a SB contender.  So signing some misplaced vet because he's better than Geno really does nothing for this team in the future. 

Agreed.  Guess I'm not sure what you're point was...but I got a feeling the Jets are giving Geno another year.  And as long as they add some talent around him, I'm fine with that.  In fact, I think thats the right thing to do because even though their might be a player who's immediately better, no FA or rookie makes the Jets a SB contender.  So signing some misplaced vet because he's better than Geno really does nothing for this team in the future. 

Agree with all this... And my point was:

That the sky remains overhead.

We are obviously targeting offense right now.  We'll put some pieces in place and if Geno improves, the future is bright.  If he doesn't, and we get the same QB performance, than no CB is going to make a difference.

Maybe, maybe not.  The point is, he was obvioulsy in the range that Idzik wanted to pay and he has famiarity with the player.  He's seen him improving since Seattle signed him and he's a really big dude with incredible length who at the end of the day just might be a better player.  I highly doubt you notice a huge fall off from Howard to him.

The other thing everyone is missing here is, RT is a fairly easy position to fill and could easily be a position that Jets take in the draft, in addition to the players waiting in the wings.  This signing is by no means is the answer to the equation.  Hopefully it is, but I dont see any reason why they'd avoid taking a player that they like at the same position in the draft.

IMO it's still a much better philosophy to pay home grown players who succeed.   It sends a message to other players, you perform, we'll pay you.  In this case Howard is a slightly better player with an upside

Does anyone truly know if this guy is good or not? Is he about par with Howard? Worse? Can't lie and say I know about him.

They are about the same overall.  Avg players at best.   Only difference is the new guy is coming off a knee injury last year, but he did play in the super bowl.    His issue has been penalties.  He's been terrible at that for a couple of seasons.    It's a nice move, but it's not an improvement per say. It's more like they lost Howard, they need to replace him.   They didn't get better or worse, but about the same.    And does anybody know what the offer was?  Was it that much cheaper than Howards?

IMO it's still a much better philosophy to pay home grown players who succeed.   It sends a message to other players, you perform, we'll pay you.  In this case Howard is a slightly better player with an upside

Meh, the Steelers, Pats and now 49'ers do this type of sh*t all the time.  Being "loyal", doesnt always work. 

Does anyone truly know if this guy is good or not? Is he about par with Howard? Worse? Can't lie and say I know about him.

From what I'm reading, it's a push. I haven't seen contract numbers for Breno though, I'm hoping / assuming it's less than Howard got.

From what I'm reading, it's a push. I haven't seen contract numbers for Breno though, I'm hoping / assuming it's less than Howard got.

They are about the same overall. Avg players at best. Only difference is the new guy is coming off a knee injury last year, but he did play in the super bowl. His issue has been penalties. He's been terrible at that for a couple of seasons. It's a nice move, but it's not an improvement per say. It's more like they lost Howard, they need to replace him. They didn't get better or worse, but about the same. And does anybody know what the offer was? Was it that much cheaper than Howards?

If they signed him for cheap(er) I guess I'm okay with it. Any news on Decker?I heard he had dinner with the Jets and is spending the night in NJ.

While both graded out negatively this year, Giacomini, coming off surgery, graded out better than Howard per PFF. If Idzik got him for less money, we potentially acquired a better player for less money. That is why you wait till the dust falls, this is why you don't jump to pay someone just to pay someone. While it's possible his play is a complete wash, if we saved a million or million and a half per season, it not only saves us that money, but sets a precedent that Idzik won't be bullied into any deals.

As I've been saying all FA: we will replace Cro's abysmal play and Howard's JAG play without a problem this free agency. The one position that we most desperately need and the one we can actually have a huge upgrade in will be WR. If the Jets come away with Breno, Captain/DRC and then Decker or Jones, it's a win.

Decker & jones and we still need a guard who's left?

This.  If it's the same or close to Howard's contract, I could see the issue with it.  If it is a good bit less, then the only possible complaint would be health, and even then he was back late in the regular season and throughout the playoffs.  Anything beyond that is just some people's need to bitch about absolutely everything.

Decker & jones and we still need a guard who's left?

My gut feeling and has been all along, is that they resign Colon or another JAG and draft someone in the 2nd-4th rounds. I actually really like the MJD signing if it happens: he'd be a great third down back not only for his receiving skills, but the fact that he's actually pretty damned good in blitz pickup. 

If they signed him for cheap(er) I guess I'm okay with it. Any news on Decker?I heard he had dinner with the Jets and is spending the night in NJ.

Recent rumors seem to suggest that it's a matter of sorting out some last few details on the contract, which is why he's sticking around, and that most are expecting a deal to be done in the morning.  Who knows though, we'll see.

Recent rumors seem to suggest that it's a matter of sorting out some last few details on the contract, which is why he's sticking around, and that most are expecting a deal to be done in the morning.  Who knows though, we'll see.

Wow I didn't realize it was this close but like you said we'll see. Fingers crossed that his contract isn't ridiculous.

I must've missed the part where Breno was already appointed the starting RT gig.  For all we know, we're going to address the position in the draft and/or sign another body like Strief and have Breno compete for the swing tackle role with Aboushi.   

Archived