Breno Giacomini A Jet

F.Chowds

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the GM who brilliantly gave Howard $6M/year:

Rodger Saffold - T - Rams

Ex-Rams G/T Rodger Saffold has failed his physical with the Raiders, voiding his five-year, $42.5 million contract.

He's once again a free agent. It's to the point where we just feel bad for GM Reggie McKenzie, who is simply out of his depth. Valuing Saffold more, the Raiders let perfectly fine in-house option Jared Veldheer walk. Now they have neither, and a titanic hole on Terrelle Pryor/Matt McGloin/Unsigned Free Agent's blindside. As for Saffold, it wasn't exactly a secret that his health was a question mark. He's missed 17 games over the past three seasons. More versatile than effective, he'll go back to shopping his wares as a guard who can play tackle. It's quite possible he'll end up back with the Rams on a bargain deal. The Raiders are going to be historically bad (again) in 2014.

Lol.

Now watch the Jets sign Saffold for 1 year $2.25M.

Ex-Rams G/T Rodger Saffold has failed his physical with the Raiders, voiding his five-year, $42.5 million contract.

He's once again a free agent. It's to the point where we just feel bad for GM Reggie McKenzie, who is simply out of his depth. Valuing Saffold more, the Raiders let perfectly fine in-house option Jared Veldheer walk. Now they have neither, and a titanic hole on Terrelle Pryor/Matt McGloin/Unsigned Free Agent's blindside. As for Saffold, it wasn't exactly a secret that his health was a question mark. He's missed 17 games over the past three seasons. More versatile than effective, he'll go back to shopping his wares as a guard who can play tackle. It's quite possible he'll end up back with the Rams on a bargain deal. The Raiders are going to be historically bad (again) in 2014.

Lol.

I wouldn't mind signing saffold for cheap, many coaches think he's a better guard then tackle.

Lol.

You have been on quite the roll lately.  Just sayin'.

Denver 13- 3

Kansas City 11- 5

San Diego 9- 7

Oakland 4- 12

Let's see how well Howard does against Von Miller, Tamba Hali/ Justin Houston this coming season 2x/yr. Oakland will find out quickly why Idzik only valued Howard as a mid-level RT

Who cares, This guy sucks,

He sucks?  This is based on what?

This is a really good move.  Howard is an average player who just got an above average contract.  Great job by the Jets finding a cheaper alternative.  You can't go all out for Howard, he isn't good enough.

This is a really good move.  Howard is an average player who just got an above average contract.  Great job by the Jets finding a cheaper alternative.  You can't go all out for Howard, he isn't good enough.

I don't want Howard. Didn't want this guy either. My bet is the Jets draft someone. Lots of T's in this draft. Can be had in the 3rd, or even 4th rounds.

all I can say Phil to some of these 'he aint famous' comments is:

1290449_o.gif

Geno is crap IMHO

Yup.  And it's well documented that you form your opinions way to early and refuse to change them.  I'm willing to see how this year goes.  He gets an incomplete from me, as a 1st year guy out of a spread offense, who'd never taken a snap under center, and was playing with the worst offensive talent in the league (when healthy, which was rare).

Yup.  And it's well documented that you form your opinions way to early and refuse to change them.  I'm willing to see how this year goes.  He gets an incomplete from me, as a 1st year guy out of a spread offense, who'd never taken a snap under center, and was playing with the worst offensive talent in the league (when healthy, which was rare).

Smash was willing to give Sanchez a chance based on his lack of weapons, yet he's written off Geno already?  Ya don't say.

Not sure.  But we do know that the Oakland Raiders just made Austin Howard the # 4 highest paid RT in the NFL (base salary):  http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/right-tackle/limit-25/

Idzik avoiding that and bringing in a comparable talent is a win in my book.

Yeah, the difference between his and Decker's salary is about $1mil per. If losing Howard meant we could get Decker and a starting RT for another $3mil, then it was a good deal all along. I can't imagine Breno getting more than 2-3mil.

Anyone know the figures on this one yet?

Must be no where near the 7 Howard got cause no one is jumping all over how the Jets are a joke cause they couldve just resign Howard for a little more.

At worst...its a wash as far as talent.

Anyone know the figures on this one yet?

Must be no where near the 7 Howard got cause no one is jumping all over how the Jets are a joke cause they couldve just resign Howard for a little more.

At worst...its a wash as far as talent.

howard got 6m per, not 7. in a very manageable contract. at worst its a wash as far as talent? I think at the very best its a wash at talent and that is wishful thinking. howard was an improving solid young tackle..the most consistant player on the jets oline last year. the way posters around here discard him as a bum and praise idzik for  not overpaying to the tune of a half million dollars a year for our starting right tackle is laughable. 3/4 of this board never even heard of breno and all of a sudden its an upgrade pff is not the way to judge talent, my friends

howard got 6m per, not 7. in a very manageable contract. at worst its a wash as far as talent? I think at the very best its a wash at talent and that is wishful thinking. howard was an improving solid young tackle..the most consistant player on the jets oline last year. the way posters around here discard him as a bum and praise idzik for  not overpaying to the tune of a half million dollars a year for our starting right tackle is laughable. 3/4 of this board never even heard of breno and all of a sudden its an upgrade pff is not the way to judge talent, my friends

The Raiders paid Austin Howard like a top 5 RT.  He's not a top 5 RT.  Pretty simple.  He was an above-average pass blocker and a below-average run blocker.  On a run-first team.  He was very much expendable.  Also, you say no one here had heard of Giacomini?  Not true.  Meanwhile, 1 year ago, no one had heard of Austin Howard. 

Giacomini was a small part of the reason the Seahawks won a Super Bowl.  Idzik, a Seattle guy, is probably familiar with him.  I'll trust his judgment here.

Yeah, the difference between his and Decker's salary is about $1mil per. If losing Howard meant we could get Decker and a starting RT for another $3mil, then it was a good deal all along. I can't imagine Breno getting more than 2-3mil.

1.3m to be exact. I am sure with 40m-50m under the capped, they could have 'squeezed' howards & deckers contract in.

The Raiders paid Austin Howard like a top 5 RT.  He's not a top 5 RT.  Pretty simple.

Also, 1 year ago, no one had heard of Austin Howard either. 

every year, contracts go up. I am sure next year, another batch of tackles will make as much if not more and wont be considered top 5 tackles either. we all heard of howard and watched his game get better last year

every year, contracts go up. I am sure next year, another batch of tackles will make as much if not more and wont be considered top 5 tackles either

Cool.  So we're just supposed to overpay Howard because "market"?

He went to the Raiders.  Not exactly a team with a pedigree for accurately valuing talent.  They handed Rodger Saffold $42M before he failed his physical.  Yeah, I don't think we're the losers here.

Cool.  So we're just supposed to overpay Howard because "market"?

He went to the Raiders.  Not exactly a team with a pedigree for accurately valuing talent.  They handed Rodger Saffold $42M before he failed his physical.  Yeah, I don't think we're the losers here.

so we supposed to let our starting right tackle go to the tune of a half million dollars,amounting to peanuts in nfl $, on an already shaky oline, all the while trying to develop a shaky young rookie qb? genius. if idzik thought breno was the better option than howard, he wouldn't have made howard his priority signing and wouldn't have offered howard, from what I can tell, damn close to what the raiders paid. howard was idziks plan A, as well as it should have been and plan B took affect over a half million dollars or less. I could care less what the raiders did/do.. they have no bearing on this at all

Archived