Revis not worth 1/3rd of Jets Cap availability, IMHO

SouthernJet

We have what, 37M in Cap availability. You always want to keep 3-4M around for in-season move if needed for potential playoff drive etc. So, with ALL the Jets needs do we really want to spend OVER a third of our cap availability. on ONE player (approx 36%). Makes no sense to me where the Jets  are today. I get the Pats doing it, one last push w/Brady etc. BUT., the Jets needs lots of holes plugged to turn into a perennial solid team. 

That's a good point. CB was not the Pats biggest problem last year. WR, TE and stopping the run was. This was clearly a move by BB to stick it to the Jets and their fans. Ultimately it could easily backfire on them though.

That's a good point. CB was not the Pats biggest problem last year. WR, TE and stopping the run was. This was clearly a move by BB to stick it to the Jets and their fans. Ultimately it could easily backfire on them though.

We probably overestimate how much time belly spends thinking up ways to "stick it to us"

We probably overestimate how much time belly spends thinking up ways to "stick it to us"

Not really. The Revis signing was totally out of character for them with the exception of a way of sticking it to the Jets.

The thing that stinks is this....the Jets finally drafted a player, that is a hall of famer and he is the best at his position.  Yet that position happens to be CB.  Idzik clearly isn't going to break the bank for a CB, and he is right.  Getting Revis back would have been a lot of fun.  But Idzik made the right move here.

I don't know what Cromartie would take on a restructured deal.  But it would probably be half of what Revis got.  Cromartie is more than half the player Revis is, so I can see the Jets going that route.

If you believe that BB manages his team and personnel moves based on spite of the NYJ, you are highly delusional

He definitely does to some degree. This signing wreaks of it. There is no doubt about it.

If you believe that BB manages his team and personnel moves based on spite of the NYJ, you are highly delusional

He definitely doesn't manage his moves with this being his guiding light.  But he does enjoy sticking it to the Jets.  But he is smart enough to know that he can't make that his primary focus.

The thing that stinks is this....the Jets finally drafted a player, that is a hall of famer and he is the best at his position.  Yet that position happens to be CB.  Idzik clearly isn't going to break the bank for a CB, and he is right.  Getting Revis back would have been a lot of fun.  But Idzik made the right move here.

I don't know what Cromartie would take on a restructured deal.  But it would probably be half of what Revis got.  Cromartie is more than half the player Revis is, so I can see the Jets going that route.

Good Point

But CB would have been if Talib wasn't on the team.

Revis IMO saw an opportunity to get back up to $15M+ and that way was to play for a lock contender or to play for Ryan with the Jets (which would also soften his reputation by patching things up). The latter wasn't going to happen. Most likely because Woody doesn't want to write him checks for any amount - the last one he wrote was for a bonus in March of last year and he got traded a month later. But as SJ points out, our problems aren't going to be solved by one CB who makes at least $12M for 1 year. Any contract years beyond that are pointless unless the base salary is $15M or more, otherwise another holdout gets staged or threatened at a minimum.

A team with so many holes covers a lot more ground and can build a better team by filling them all with draft picks (if they're any good) and with multiple players in the $5M range, give or take, better than 1 or 2 supermen and then obvious liabilities playing alongside them (Eric Smith) because that's all that we can fit now. Further, it locks you out of that position in the draft even if the best player by far is at that position.

I like this way. This is what Idzik alluded to the way he was going to build the team. When he was hired the Jets weren't 1 season away from the superbowl. First off there was no QB. Second, the best way is to build through the draft. That means not only drafting well (and yes, getting lucky a bit) but also giving them more than 1 season to show if they're worth anything. We had a lot of draft picks last season. Only 1 is a true, obvious, long-term keeper but they only played 1 rookie season next to a mostly low-talent roster, with an offense that doesn't nearly hide mistakes as well as other teams' can. This year we have 12 draft picks it looks like (unless it's been announced we're only getting 11 and I missed it). Sign Austin Howard to a shiny, new $6M/year deal with $15M guaranteed and there is no competition for the RT position that is getting handled with mediocre play.

How would signing Revis to a long term deal be breaking the bank? Wake up people - how many of our own players are in line for big raises the next two years; besides Mo Wilk? ZERO. So what exactly are we saving all this cap space. Not to mention the cap is pretty much guaranteed to rise every year.

This was a gross failure by the Jets. Period. Only homer Jet fans would disagree.

They had Talib, one of the best cover corners.  He left to the Broncos.  The Revis deal actually has less exposure for them than what Talib is getting in Denver.

He signed Tim Tebow.  I think we are underestimating this factor.

Signing Tebow was a huge favor.  Having Tebow fail with the Pats was verification that Rex was right not to get anything out of him and to skip him for McElroy.  If Tebow just sat on the street we'd still be hearing how he'd be the best QB on the roster because .... HE WON THAT PLAYOFF GAME!

They had Talib, one of the best cover corners.  He left to the Broncos.  The Revis deal actually has less exposure for them than what Talib is getting in Denver.

Signing Tebow was a huge favor.  Having Tebow fail with the Pats was verification that Rex was right not to get anything out of him and to skip him for McElroy.  If Tebow just sat on the street we'd still be hearing how he'd be the best QB on the roster because .... HE WON THAT PLAYOFF GAME!

I agree regarding the Talib/Revis situation. Just pointing out that they had bigger issues to address and now have no cap room to do it. There are still plenty of good corners on the market. Fwiw DRC outplayed Talib last year. Not sure why no one is interested in him at all. Maybe his asking price is very high?

Agreed.

But CB would have been if Talib wasn't on the team.

Revis IMO saw an opportunity to get back up to $15M+ and that way was to play for a lock contender or to play for Ryan with the Jets (which would also soften his reputation by patching things up). The latter wasn't going to happen. Most likely because Woody doesn't want to write him checks for any amount - the last one he wrote was for a bonus in March of last year and he got traded a month later. But as SJ points out, our problems aren't going to be solved by one CB who makes at least $12M for 1 year. Any contract years beyond that are pointless unless the base salary is $15M or more, otherwise another holdout gets staged or threatened at a minimum.

A team with so many holes covers a lot more ground and can build a better team by filling them all with draft picks (if they're any good) and with multiple players in the $5M range, give or take, better than 1 or 2 supermen and then obvious liabilities playing alongside them (Eric Smith) because that's all that we can fit now. Further, it locks you out of that position in the draft even if the best player by far is at that position.

I like this way. This is what Idzik alluded to the way he was going to build the team. When he was hired the Jets weren't 1 season away from the superbowl. First off there was no QB. Second, the best way is to build through the draft. That means not only drafting well (and yes, getting lucky a bit) but also giving them more than 1 season to show if they're worth anything. We had a lot of draft picks last season. Only 1 is a true, obvious, long-term keeper but they only played 1 rookie season next to a mostly low-talent roster, with an offense that doesn't nearly hide mistakes as well as other teams' can. This year we have 12 draft picks it looks like (unless it's been announced we're only getting 11 and I missed it). Sign Austin Howard to a shiny, new $6M/year deal with $15M guaranteed and there is no competition for the RT position that is getting handled with mediocre play.

This has nothing to do with my comment. 

100% my thinking Phil...

dont use 36% of cap available cash for 1 guy, but bring Cro back.. Millners play in last 1/4th of season probably meant Revis wasnt going to get over paid by Jets..

I forgot I quoted you as I rambled on.

Oh, yeah I mean I get the first lines point about losing Talib. My original point was just that the Pats have many holes. Doesn't make sense spending all of that money on one CB. Again, BB likes to stick it to the Jets. All his big name guys in the past were buy low/sell high types. He is not buying low on Revis. Obviously the Talib deal has more risk - but still there are other corners out there who for less money would have gotten the job done.

I am a seriously distraught Jets fan today. I am livid.

1)      You have a need a CB

2)      You have 40M in cap space

3)      Revis wanted/would to come to NY

4)      You have NO-ONE on your current roster that you have to pay big money too in the next TWO years besides Mo Wilkerson. Who are you saving the cap space for? We arent the 49ers who have to pay Kap, Crabtree and Company OR the Seahawks with Wilson, Sherman and friends. I don’t understand at all.

5)      The NFL cap is projected to rise at least a little every year for the foreseeable future.

6)      This is a business. Revis is a business man. He deserves every cent he can squeeze out. And if Woody killed this deal bc of the past history with Revis, he’s a fukin piece of $hit.

And to top it all off, Revis is now on the Patriots. There is a tiny piece of me that hopes Revis has a game winning pick 6 in the Super Bowl bc Woody and the Jets deserve that fate...us Jets fans deserve a lot better.

Ok, here is my take on Revis.

The guy is all about the $$$$. The minute a CB makes more than he does he will break out the holdout card. You cannot sink that much money on te CB position and hope to field good players on the rest of the field. While I do agree that Revis is the best shutdown corner in the game, there are ways to combat that....you throw to your #2 reciever, you throw crossing patterns to your slot recievers, dumpoffs over the middle to your scatback RB, maybe run a pick play to rub Revis off your #1 wr. Bottom line, yes Revis is an upgrade over Aqib for the Pats BUT he doesn't, by himself, get them to the SB or even the division championship. They have holes at WR w/o Edelman, a hole at TE if Gronk can't stay healthy. The Pats are vulnerable right now, its up to the rest of the AFC East to make moves to narrow the gap. Brady is the only player on the Pats that makes them better.

The Jets could not get Revis back and they made the right call in letting Revis go. The Jets will be vastly improved this year and I can see them at 10-6 or 11-5. Is that enough to win the division...maybe but they definately will be in the run for a WC spot.

LL

4)      You have NO-ONE on your current roster that you have to pay big money too in the next TWO years besides Mo Wilkerson. Who are you saving the cap space for? We arent the 49ers who have to pay Kap, Crabtree and Company OR the Seahawks with Wilson, Sherman and friends. I don’t understand at all.

5)      The NFL cap is projected to rise at least a little every year for the foreseeable future.

6)      This is a business. Revis is a business man. He deserves every cent he can squeeze out. And if Woody killed this deal bc of the past history with Revis, he’s a fukin piece of $hit.

And to top it all off, Revis is now on the Patriots. There is a tiny piece of me that hopes Revis has a game winning pick 6 in the Super Bowl bc Woody and the Jets deserve that fate...us Jets fans deserve a lot better.

Just aint true,, he didnt want to come here it appears and he isnt worth 36% ( u keep a few mill for inseaosn moves) of our available cap funds on 1 guy. We have MANY holes,,Idzik did right..

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/36473/a-revis-reunion-ha-turns-into-nightmare?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

face it we are not one player away from winning a Super Bowl .. 40 mill is fine but we need players not a player.. if new england thinks Mevis can put them over the top so be it.. but i believe this move has weaken the Pats in the long run.. they need to address issues also but they are cap strapped now from doing this.. in one year mevis will be looking for greener pastures

100% my thinking Phil...

dont use 36% of cap available cash for 1 guy, but bring Cro back.. Millners play in last 1/4th of season probably meant Revis wasnt going to get over paid by Jets..

So true....

Persona

I agree. This defense needed Revis back in the worst way....bite the fckn bullet Idzik/Woody and bring him back where he started his HOF career instead of now looking for some half ass corner that will be half as effective as Revis would have been. Having Revis, a complete shutdown corner, allows our defense to do so much more.....especially with a beast of a line that we have now. Him going to the Pats is a complete fck up on behalf of the Jets front office. 

1) You have a need a CB

2) You have 40M in cap space

3) Revis wanted/would to come to NY

4) You have NO-ONE on your current roster that you have to pay big money too in the next TWO years besides Mo Wilkerson. Who are you saving the cap space for? We arent the 49ers who have to pay Kap, Crabtree and Company OR the Seahawks with Wilson, Sherman and friends. I don’t understand at all.

5) The NFL cap is projected to rise at least a little every year for the foreseeable future.

6) This is a business. Revis is a business man. He deserves every cent he can squeeze out. And if Woody killed this deal bc of the past history with Revis, he’s a fukin piece of $hit.

That 13 million(we have to do better than the pats) is three starters. You can't give up three starters for revis unless you're a contender who lost to a pass happy team in the playoffs.

Cro:

Coming off a bad year

Has a bad hip

Will be 30 years old this year

Yes, SIGN THIS BEAST!

none of us know how much the hip played into it last year. if it was hip related and it isn't a chronic condition, jets will make him an offer. someone else may outbid, but i am confident jets will make a play if he can contribute.

Archived