What would you think if...

MatthewPLP

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether they load up on high-priced players, or have young guys coming of age contract-wise, this is reality in the NFL. To your point regarding the Byrd signing, if NO doesn't go to the SB (or get damn, damn close), they are likely to pull the plug on a lot of quality guys and re-load.

It's like investing -- hold enough cash to take advantage of major pull-backs.

I have, like, three grand in a 401K.

I'd say that Idzik isn't going all in for 2014, but is attempting to build a roster to compete for the next five years. He's signing young, young players and ignoring old ones so far.

Breno Giacomini is 28 - not exactly a young young player. Howard is 26 and has more upside but would have been more expensive. 

In the coming days, there are going to be a lot of good football players out there coming to the reality that they aren't getting paid what they hoped for, and the Jets will in position to be a major player for a lot of their services.

Last year, Idzik made a trade. This year, he has more picks to work with, plenty of needs, and could easily be working on something that will require some of that money.

I get that. The thing that is really perplexing though is that they don't even seem to have visits lined up. Either that or they're keeping most of these visits so secretive that they the writers aren't getting any hints about them. And either of those two possibilities are odd, IMO.

Here's the latest about Sanders:

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN 6h

Jets have strong interest in Emmanuel Sanders, who was originally set to visit Jets tomorrow. But scheduling conflict prompted change #nyj

Either they mean a scheduling conflict for Sanders or they mean one for the Jets. If it's the former, then OK, but you kinda wonder why the Jets aren't holding visits for anyone else then.

If it's the latter, then the Jets are holding visits but no one is aware of them. Idzik does seem like the kind of guy that likes to keep stuff from the media but I don't know why there would be any need to do that when it comes to FA visits.

If it's the latter, then the Jets are holding visits but no one is aware of them. Idzik does seem like the kind of guy that likes to keep stuff from the media but I don't know why there would be any need to do that when it comes to FA visits.

Secretive people are secretive. I don't think he's influenced by fan reaction, but he doesn't want to be bothered by it. Maybe he recognizes that Woody and Rex are influenced by it, and want to keep it in check as a result. I don't know. I just think it's the way he is. No one connected the Jets with Decker before free agency started, then all of a sudden we were his first and only suitor.

The guy's a plodder. I'm sure he's disappointed, too, that he missed out on Davis. I think we'd all be feeling pretty good right now with Decker and Davis both in the fold. But just because he missed on two CBs that he was interested in (assuming the Captain, here), it doesn't seem to mean he feels the need to run out and sign someone else in a hurry. Maybe he'll miss out on guys working that way, or maybe he doesn't care. If the way he does business isn't working, then I hope he learns from it and changes it up next year.

Anyway, I know you don't want to hear it, but it's still very early in the process. I'm willing to be patient largely because I don't have a choice.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the money may not be spent, because 1.) FA isn't over and 2.) this FA period wasn't exactly oozing with talent that aligns to year 2 of a rebuild? 

The marquee names went to the marquee teams. We are middle of the pack, with a stigma for being Raiders East. If Idzik ran around and gave out all the money, just because he has it, we'd end up doing what the Dolphins did last year.

Just because you have the cash, doesn't mean you are required to dump it into players that just aren't good enough to justify it over the next 3-5 years.

The Raiders are spending on old guys looking to fund their retirement. WOuld still like to see a real QB, some decent back, a TE and an OLB that can cover. But spending because you havew cap room on say Jason Tuck is goddamn pointless.

This franchise pisses us off in numerous ways. But this is not an issue. NOBODY thinks this team is winning anything in 2014. Idzik is looking to 2015 and a 38-year odl Tom Brady as when this club is going to be dangerous. 2014 is about fiding some players and figuring out of Wrecks is finally a goner.

It's Sept 2014 and the Jets have 30 Mil in cap space....Hell even 20 mil...

Could it happen? Yep, If they cut Sanchez and their cap will be around 44 Mil as of now.

If that happens, I'll tell Woody and Freddy Coupon to shove their season ticke** up their ass and refuse to pay the licensing fee for seat.

What say you?

We'd have money to lock up Wilkerson and whomever else we wabt long term. It wouldn't be a terrible thing.

I'd say that Idzik isn't going all in for 2014, but is attempting to build a roster to compete for the next five years. He's signing young, young players and ignoring old ones so far.

I think hes ignoring the older Jets as well who created a culture of stupidity namely Holmes and Cro 2 guys who didn't know how to keep their mouths shut and in some cases set bad examples for the younger players coming in.

Idzik is doing the right thing NOT breaking the bank simply because this team is NOT set to contend this year . We still have questions at QB for christs sake. Once this team begins to contend and seems to be a few players away from a championship I think you will see idzik pull the trigger on FA's who can come in here and put us over the top.

In the mean time he's trying to build a young competitive roster. When the time comes idzik will have the cap money to make moves most of you expect him to make NOW. This team is not ready for NOW so keep that in mind when you see money left in the bank when this season starts.

I think hes ignoring the older Jets as well who created a culture of stupidity namely Holmes and Cro 2 guys who didn't know how to keep their mouths shut and in some cases set bad examples for the younger players coming in.

Idzik is doing the right thing NOT breaking the bank simply because this team is NOT set to contend this year . We still have questions at QB for christs sake. Once this team begins to contend and seems to be a few players away from a championship I think you will see idzik pull the trigger on FA's who can come in here and put us over the top.

In the mean time he's trying to build a young competitive roster. When the time comes idzik will have the cap money to make moves most of you expect him to make NOW. This team is not ready for NOW so keep that in mind when you see money left in the bank when this season starts.

Thats about as dead on accurate as anything I've read here since 4pm March 11...the panic as we all know is driven by the fantasy football generation..." Gimme the burger NOW I don't want to wait for the Filet".

Since when has the NFL turned into the MLB?  Win now league... Not 3 years from now.

Teams that win the Super Bowl tend to be teams that won 10+ games the previous season.  And they got to a point of sustained success by NOT making knee-jerk free agent signings.  Build through the draft, make smart pickups in free agency.  It's exactly what the Seahawks did to assemble the best roster in football, and that's what Idzik is trying to model.

Teams that win the Super Bowl tend to be teams that won 10+ games the previous season.  And they got to a point of sustained success by NOT making knee-jerk free agent signings.  Build through the draft, make smart pickups in free agency.  It's exactly what the Seahawks did to assemble the best roster in football, and that's what Idzik is trying to model.

Every team builds through the draft sir, signing FA doesn't mean we don't get the same draft picks in the same draft order.

Seahawks? That's like trying to clone how boston won a world series...Seattle got lucky getting Wilson in the draft where they did, you're trying to base a strategy off of luck..Well...Good luck! :)

funny right?....we are trying to model the Seahawks and our fans are demanding we model the Redskins.

funny right?....we are trying to model the Seahawks and our fans are demanding we model the Redskins.

You're trying to model luck.... Thats pretty much what the draft is and if Seattle didn't get lucky an get wilson and missed a few other picks, where would they have been ? :)

You're trying to model luck.... Thats pretty much what the draft is and if Seattle didn't get lucky an get wilson and missed a few other picks, where would they have been ? :)

They got Richard Sherman in the 5th.  Was that luck too?  And Earl Thomas in the 6th.  All luck?

They got Richard Sherman in the 5th.  Was that luck too?  And Earl Thomas in the 6th.  All luck?

Yes it is, it's not often and very rare to get a caliber player like Sherman in the 5th.... Hence why I said "luck" ...

Shi*, if we go on your theory we should expect to draft the next Brady in round 6....

Yes it is, it's not often and very rare to get a caliber player like Sherman in the 5th.... Hence why I said "luck" ...

Shi*, if we go on your theory we should expect to draft the next Brady in round 6....

The Seahawks have assembled the best roster in football purely on luck.  Got it.

I dunno--look at the list of who's left. Outside of Zach Strief, they're all either old or damaged. Why put yourself in position to be paying Tarell Brown or Major Wright $3-$4 mil in 2015 if they're not players that you really want moving forward?

no sane GM blows all of his cap money in a year.  Only GMs with their heads already on the block make such desperate moves

The Seahawks have assembled the best roster in football purely on luck.  Got it.

Hmm, I guess this is why all 32 teams is doing the same thing.. Oh wait - they're not.. You're in some dreamworld thinking Idzik has some sort of knowledge and secrets nobody else but him and Seattle know about...

Hmm, I guess this is why all 32 teams is doing the same thing.. Oh wait - they're not.. You're in some dreamworld thinking Idzik has some sort of knowledge and secrets nobody else but him and Seattle know about...

The Seahawks were the only one that won the Super Bowl last year.  Only a handful of teams are spending serious coin this offseason.  2 of them are the Browns and Raiders.  Are those the organizations we should be following?

If we were able to bring in Sanders  or Jones and a blocking TE, and maybe DRC, that would content me, as far as FA is concerned.  I am convinced that they are looking for a good safety in the draft, not just a box guy.  As good as our defense can be, it does not get TOs.  Press corners don't get as many INTs.  We need a safety who can cover and make plays.  Good  3-4 defenses in the past like the Ravens and Steelers, had that element.  Rex's don't.

No I'm trying to model success .

Archived