New York Jets hoping deliberate free agency strategy pays off

Jetsfan80

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335781/article/new-york-jets-hoping-deliberate-free-agency-strategy-pays-off

New York Jets hoping deliberate free agency strategy pays off

• By Judy Battista
  • NFL Media reporter
  • Published: March 21, 2014 at 10:37 a.m

Perhaps the New York Jets' apparent interest in Michael Vick will help fill the fans' bottomless vessel for action. Maybe general manager John Idzik's calm, measured explanation Thursday afternoon for the Jets' calm, measured approach to the first nine days of free agency will soothe those who watch the transaction wire in dismay, seeing one cornerback after another land elsewhere.

Or maybe Idzik, who spent nearly 45 minutes answering questions from reporters about the Jets' activities in free agency, should just play a recording of a similar press conference his Giants counterpart, Jerry Reese, gave not long after free agency opened nearly three years ago.

On that August day -- free agency had opened late after the lockout ended that summer, a dam of activity bursting at once -- Reese stood in the humidity and went position by position, move by move to explain why there was a holdout to contend with and why two receivers and a tight end the Giants had tried to re-sign ended up going elsewhere. It came across as a defense, a remarkably public rebuttal of a narrative that was taking shape -- that Reese wasn't doing enough to improve the Giants, that the Giants were too static, that players needed to upgrade a team that had barely missed the playoffs were slipping away as the minutes ticked by.

Reese and the Giants withstood that onslaught -- they signed one unrestricted free agent, a punter -- and wound up with something more precious than a handful of new contracts in their hands six months later: the Lombardi Trophy.

It serves as a cautionary tale -- much like the Philadelphia Eagles' "Dream Team" assembled that year -- for those who see a direct line between a franchise winning with March machinations and the more important victory at the end of a season.

And it is why Jets fans -- whose hopes have, in years past, been raised with "which-direction-is-the-wind-blowing" deals at this time of year (hello, Tim Tebow) -- must remember that this is why the deliberate Idzik was hired in the first place. To steady the team. To build for the long haul. To avoid the highs and lows that are often juiced by the spending sprees of spring. To say things like this:

"We recognize our needs but want to address them in a very well thought-out and judicious way," Idzik said on the conference call. "We don't want to satisfy needs for the day. We want to satisfy the need going into the future."

That kind of vague response might provoke more yawns than cheers, but the best teams, the most disciplined ones, don't worry about being liked any more than Reese did three years ago. The Jets wanted a methodical thinker, someone who would not be swayed by public perception, and they have that in Idzik.

"Long term, that could serve them well," said one person who has had extensive dealings with the team. "At the end of day, he's going to have to sign some players on value deals -- and he'll have to hit on them. There are values to be had."

As usual, though, the Jets are being judged against their two greatest rivals: the New England Patriots and New York Giants, the two teams to which even those in the organization concede the franchise pays extra attention. This year, the script has been flipped. The Giants have moved aggressively in free agency, most particularly by snatching cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie from the Jets, who visited with him first last weekend but ended up last in his heart. The Patriots, meanwhile, signed Darrelle Revis, who spent the first six years of his career with the Jets, to what is essentially a very lucrative one-year deal.

Idzik and coach Rex Ryan, who was also on the conference call, would not directly discuss whether the Jets gave much thought to trying to get Revis back to New York, nor did they delve into the specifics of how they tried to woo Rodgers-Cromartie. Revis' return always seemed to be merely the romantic scenario of a longing fanbase, given that owner Woody Johnson wanted Revis traded away just last year because he was tired of the cornerback's contract demands. And the Giants were reportedly far more assertive, and much more generous, in their pursuit of Rodgers-Cromartie, to whom the Jets initially offered a one-year contract before trying to improve their offer at the eleventh hour.

"I think maybe the pace of free agency has caught (Idzik) off guard a little," said one agent who was not involved in the Rodgers-Cromartie negotiation. "He might have been a little slow on the trigger, and I am sure if he was he will never make that mistake again."

Reese has not yet publicly commented on the Giants' spree, but the Giants' mindset going into free agency seems obvious now. They had 27 free agents of their own and more holes on their roster than they have had in recent years. One agent said the Giants traditionally have been "laissez-faire" about free agency. But the team has been inexorably sliding since that Super Bowl in the 2011 season, and the Giants saw an opening to try to halt the downward trajectory.

The Jets are in a different position, trying to walk the fine line between "win-now" -- which Idzik said is the mode they are always in -- and trying to build sustainable success with youth, including a second-year quarterback in Geno Smith, whom nobody can be quite sure yet is the quarterback of the future. Idzik began his conference call by pointedly observing that the Jets' seven re-signings have gone unnoticed because those players are not switching jerseys, as new receiver Eric Decker and new right tackle Breno Giacomini are. He talked about the many other options -- trades, later roster moves, the draft -- that are still open to the Jets, who did, Ian Rapoport later reported, inquire about the possibility of trading for Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson. Idzik repeatedly mentioned getting the right fit, meaning signing players at the right price.

Idzik, though, was explaining all of this moments after news broke that cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who had been released by the Jets but had been considered a possibility for return -- especially after the Jets failed to add another free-agent corner -- was instead signing with Arizona.

One person who knows Ryan well said that if a gun were put to Ryan's head, he would say the three things he needs are corners, corners and corners. With so many of them -- and all of the top free agents -- off the market, the Jets will now have to search elsewhere to fill out their secondary.

Ryan, whose job security might again hinge on how well his defense performs as his offense is rebuilt, said he gets mad when players choose other teams over the Jets, but he said he feels "really good about our corners" and is "happy with the guys we have."

That was not entirely convincing, considering the Jets' starters right now are Dee Milliner, Darrin Walls and Kyle Wilson in the slot -- a far cry from the Revis-Cromartie pairing the Jets had two seasons ago. For a coach whose entire defensive style is predicated on having outstanding press-man corners, that isn't encouraging. But in his most forceful comments of the afternoon, Ryan moved quickly to dispute the notion that he and Idzik, so temperamentally dissimilar, are at odds over personnel.

"We are in this together," Ryan said. "We have a great plan. It might not be the plan everybody wants immediately. We are side by side in this the entire way. Guys, it's a long process. Do I get upset if a guy is not coming? I'm upset more with that individual than I am with anybody else. I'm proud to work side by side with John. I know the direction of this football team. We're in great hands, because John Idzik is our general manager."

That, of course, is a very smart thing to say with the boss listening. But with the next wave of free agency underway, and the most active early teams settling in, the Jets might be springing into action again. Vick is expected to visit the team on Friday. Idzik, while never speaking Vick's name, might have indicated the Jets' interest level by obliquely referencing the quarterback's relationship with Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.

"Whenever you have inside knowledge on a player, with a coach who has worked with them, a player who has played with them, there's some member of your staff that has been around that player for a while -- that is a tremendous advantage," Idzik said. "There is less projection. Especially if you're dealing with a position that entails a lot."

So far, free agency has entailed a lot of patience -- maybe too much of it for the Jets. But just like in the first nine days, Jets fans will have to wait to see if their projections were right all along.

Follow Judy Battista on Twitter @judybattista.

To the tl;dr crowd, here's the Cliff Notes version: 

Giants did very little in free agency 3 years ago despite having several needs, and won the Super Bowl.  The Eagles "Dream Team" meanwhile, won nothing.  Idzik wants to satisfy needs beyond the simple here and now, and isn't swayed by public perception.  The two teams the Jets usually are measured up against, the Giants and Pats, typically are quiet in free agency, but have been anything but this time around. 

Our 7 re-signings, all of which are important, have gone unnoticed.  That's the aspect of the "win now" mode Idzik claims to always be in that is being ignored.  Trades are always a possibility for Idzik, a possibility which has also been ignored.  Rex wants corners (duh), but is saying nothing publicly that would suggest he isn't in lock step with what Idzik is doing.  Idzik has cited Mornhinweg's familiarity with Vick as being advantageous.

"I think maybe the pace of free agency has caught (Idzik) off guard a little," said one agent who was not involved in the Rodgers-Cromartie negotiation. "He might have been a little slow on the trigger, and I am sure if he was he will never make that mistake again."

This is why I like this Idzik guy. That's how he is perceived. As someone who is deliberate, intelligent and learns from his mistakes.   I hope that is the case and like that he is viewed that way. 

It would be a nice change of pace to be the team viewed as intelligent and calculated huh?    SUPER BOWL!!!!   

Either he is over his head as a GM- or knows better than all the other GM's-somewhere in between me thinks.

The Giants are active in free agency because the system that had been so successful for years has been failing them the last 2 years, and they needed to get the fans back on their side. 

The Patriots are active in free agency because their window is closing with the Belichick/Brady era almost done (Brady is also a free agent in 2015).

Neither team are making signings for the right reasons, and both will fail.

Either he is over his head as a GM- or knows better than all the other GM's-somewhere in between me thinks.

Consider what the team will look like one year from today. Your core will all be young players just coming into their prime: Mo, Richardson, Harrison, Milliner on defense; Geno, Decker, Kerley, Ivory on offense. Throwing tons of loot at guys who probably won't be part of your core in 2016 makes no sense for this team, especially if you've got to overpay to do it.

The point I am making is most people talk in extremes- he sucks or he knows better than all the others- the answer is he will probably turn out right on some decisions and wrong on other ones- lets hope he is on positive side of that for all our sakes.

Giants did very little in free agency 3 years ago despite having several needs, and won the Super Bowl.  The Eagles "Dream Team" meanwhile, won nothing.  Idzik wants to satisfy needs beyond the simple here and now, and isn't swayed by public perception.

Three years ago, the jints had a QB who'd already won a Super Bowl, and Super Bowl MVP, at the helm. Otherwise, the Jets are in the identical situation. Fwiw, Denver is my favorite for team that falls on it's face this year, though.

There is a middle ground.

Giants did very little in free agency 3 years ago despite having several needs, and won the Super Bowl.  The Eagles "Dream Team" meanwhile, won nothing.  Idzik wants to satisfy needs beyond the simple here and now, and isn't swayed by public perception.  The two teams the Jets usually are measured up against, the Giants and Pats, typically are quiet in free agency, but have been anything but this time around. 

Our 7 re-signings, all of which are important, have gone unnoticed.  That's the aspect of the "win now" mode Idzik claims to always be in that is being ignored.  Trades are always a possibility for Idzik, a possibility which has also been ignored.  Rex wants corners (duh), but is saying nothing publicly that would suggest he isn't in lock step with what Idzik is doing.  Idzik has cited Mornhinweg's familiarity with Vick as being advantageous.

Moral of the story is: the best way to improve is to not improve?

The 7 re-signings were important? You're stretching the definition of important. Pace, Walls, Folk, Colon, Lankster... 2 others guys that I cannot name. I'm not trying to diss these guys as players, I like some of them. But if you're going to call them important then I want to see a list of unimportant players. Does that list only contain Saalim Hakim, Greg Salas and Tanner Pardum?

Consider what the team will look like one year from today. Your core will all be young players just coming into their prime: Mo, Richardson, Harrison, Milliner on defense; Geno, Decker, Kerley, Ivory on offense. Throwing tons of loot at guys who probably won't be part of your core in 2016 makes no sense for this team, especially if you've got to overpay to do it.

Ivory is a RB.  We know what they Jets have with him.  Not much more than Shonne Greene and injury prone.   Not sure what's so great about that.   And who knows about Mo. What happens if he wants to be paid and Idzik doesn't want to pay him what he wants?     Everybody assumes it's all about re-signing these guys, but some of these guys want to get paid and so far Idzik has shown he doesn't like paying guys big money.       And Geno, Geno stunk last year, there is no assumption he'll even be the starter this year, much less next.

And it all depends on this years draft and this team.   If they go 10-6 and many draft picks show progress and last years picks show progress, everybody will love it.  But if the Jets go 5-11 and Ivory has another blah 800 yard rushing season, Milner crashes as the #1 CB, Geno stinks,  Vick is injured, nobody will be saying look at this young team.

The point I am making is most people talk in extremes- he sucks or he knows better than all the others- the answer is he will probably turn out right on some decisions and wrong on other ones- lets hope he is on positive side of that for all our sakes.

this is the most sane post I have read since the start of free agency

Moral of the story is: the best way to improve is to not improve?

The 7 re-signings were important? You're stretching the definition of important. Pace, Walls, Folk, Colon, Lankster... 2 others guys that I cannot name. I'm not trying to diss these guys as players, I like some of them. But if you're going to call them important then I want to see a list of unimportant players. Does that list only contain Saalim Hakim, Greg Salas and Tanner Pardum?

You can't fill your roster with Pro Bowlers.  Under Tannenbaum, our roster was so top heavy with highly paid players (many of which didn't earn a fraction of the coin they got), that we couldn't keep around the SOLID guys every team needs to win.  I.E. the Mike DeVito's of the world.  While the players you listed are unsung, all the successful teams have a lot of guys like that. 

Just because you're a poor evaluator of talent doesn't mean Idzik is.

And it all depends on this years draft and this team.   If they go 10-6 and many draft picks show progress and last years picks show progress, everybody will love it.  But if the Jets go 5-11 and Ivory has another blah 800 yard rushing season, Milner crashes as the #1 CB, Geno stinks,  Vick is injured, nobody will be saying look at this young team.

Of course it all depends on the draft.  That's what we've been saying from the beginning.  It doesn't matter much if we missed out on Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.  What WOULD make things quite dismal for this franchise is if Idzik botches the 12 draft picks we have. 

You can't fill your roster with Pro Bowlers.  Under Tannenbaum, our roster was so top heavy with highly paid players (many of which didn't earn a fraction of the coin they got), that we couldn't keep around the SOLID guys every team needs to win.  I.E. the Mike DeVito's of the world.  While the players you listed are unsung, all the successful teams have a lot of guys like that. 

Just because you're a poor evaluator of talent doesn't mean Idzik is.

I didn't say it was a bad thing to have depth, or to sign depth. What I did say is that if those players count as important, then so does every other player on the roster. In other words, "important" means nothing to you.

I didn't say it was a bad thing to have depth, or to sign depth. What I did say is that if those players count as important, then so does every other player on the roster. In other words, "important" means nothing to you.

Colon will be starting.  Giacomini will be starting.  Pace will be starting.  Walls and Dowling will be competing for a starting spot IF we do not address the # 2 CB spot with a free agent pickup/trade (if we draft a CB he won't be penned in as the starter from Week 1; as we know, its the position on the field that takes the longest to develop).  And Lankster has been a capable dime corner for several years now. 

These aren't depth signings.  These are players who will be seeing the field.

Colon will be starting.  Giacomini will be starting.  Pace will be starting.  Walls and Dowling will be competing for a starting spot IF we do not address the # 2 CB spot with a free agent pickup/trade (if we draft a CB he won't be penned in as the starter from Week 1; as we know, its the position on the field that takes the longest to develop).  And Lankster has been a capable dime corner for several years now. 

These aren't depth signings.  These are players who will be seeing the field.

you know idzik is having a wonderful offseason when depth players and consolation prizes are required to start out of necessity.

Harrison and kerley are free agents one year from today. who knows if idzik "draws the line in the sand" or not

Archived