With the 18th pick, the New York Jets select Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

stugotz81

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not even to say I don't like Eric Ebron. He's a good prospect. But he's basically the same athlete as Tyler Eifert at a little less the production, a little more of the attitude/maturity concern, not quite the blocker, not quite the same reliable, consistent hands and an inch shorter. 

The mohawk and chain look doesn't work as well for the Irish

It's not even to say I don't like Eric Ebron. He's a good prospect. But he's basically the same athlete as Tyler Eifert at a little less the production, a little more of the attitude/maturity concern, not quite the blocker, not quite the same reliable, consistent hands and an inch shorter. 

couldnt be any more off.. ebron elite and every scout knows it. eifert not even in same class

I am not a fan of Ebron at 18, but my crack wasn't a knock on Ebron.  It was more "Holy sh*t! Vernon Davis is a monster!"

Nice read from former NFL safety  Matt Bowen is an NFL National Lead Writer

Eric Ebron: Tale of the Tape for 2014 NFL Draft Prospect By Matt BowenNFL National Lead Writer Apr 23, 2014
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
hi-res-0bac67ba4cc5ace9a076baa6ea1924aa_

Keith Srakocic
Reads
Comments

North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron has the ability to creatematchups at the NFL level because of his speed, athletic skill set and production after the catch.

Today, let’s break down the former Tar Heel, talk about his development as a route-runner and project how the expected first-round pick will be utilized in the pro game.

Ebron’s Athletic Skill Set

When you turn on the tape, it’s easy to see Ebron’s ability as a receiving threat at the tight end position from multiple alignments on the field.

At 6’4”, 250 pounds, the ACC product has the straight-line speed (4.6 40-yard dash time) and athleticism to accelerate out of his breaks to separate from safeties/linebackers.

Ebron still has to develop his overall route-running, but he can create leverage on inside-breaking concepts, split Cover 2 on the seam route and use his size/frame to shield defenders at the point of attack.

Plus, Ebron is explosive after the catch in the short-to-intermediate route tree where he can get to the edge of a zone scheme, work vertically in the open field to expose poor angles from the secondary or drop his pad level on contact to pick up extra yardage. 

There are times when he struggles with drops, but he does show the ability to adjust to the football, absorb contact and make plays on throws outside of his frame. 

In terms of a matchup weapon, Ebron is a prime target in the middle of the field who can work from a variety of alignments or produce inside of the red zone on the seam and 7 (corner). 

As an in-line blocker, Ebron isn’t going to compare to Iowa’s C.J.Fiedorowicz in the run game when breaking down his ability to control the point and secure the edge.

Instead, I view Ebron as the “move guy” (off-the-ball tight end), but don't expect him to win consistently blocking down on the Power O or Counter OF.

Ebron’s value—and the reason he is expected to come off the board in the first round—centers on his ability to win in the passing game.

Projecting Ebron’s Role in the NFL

With Ebron removed as a receiver, what are the alignments and route schemes that will allow NFL teams to feature the tight end?

Here’s a look at the Saints in an empty formation with tight end Jimmy Graham aligned as the No. 3 receiver (count outside-in) to the closed (strong) side of the formation.

89bb8aa581243886b5c320a51de23304_origina

Credit: NFL Game Rewind

From this alignment, Graham can attack the top of the defense with the seam, 7 (corner), deep over route or the dig (square-in) at a depth of 12-15 yards.

Underneath, defenses have to prep for Graham to run the three-step slant, the stick-out (part of the “tare” combination), shallow drive route and the flat (can convert to the wheel route).

Base concepts that put Ebron in a position to expose a variety of defensive schemes from an alignment inside of the numbers.  

NFL offenses can also align Ebron as the wing in a two-tight-end look, the stack or bunch, or use pre-snap motion to gain a positive matchup depending on the defensive game plan.

Plus, Ebron can align as the backside “X” receiver in a 3x1 Doubles Slot formation (or “Dakota” formation), an alignment that shows up often with the Saints, Patriots, Broncos, etc. in the red zone to isolate the tight end in a one-on-one matchup.

Using this example from the Patriots-Panthers game this past season, check out the pre-snap alignment of tight end Rob Gronkowski as the backside “X” receiver in the “Dakota” formation.

3033d053b809ceabbe9ea6b879fd6e7e_origina

With the Panthers playing Cover 1 (and Gronkowski in a plus-split), the tight end can run the slant or the fade versus press coverage. This gives quarterback Tom Brady a one-on-one matchup to target the tight end with the free safety removed in the deep middle of the field.

The bottom line with Ebron is the formation flexibility he can bring to an NFL offense in 2014. And that allows offensive coordinators to get creative when installing the game plan.

Creating Matchups Based on Alignment

There are multiple ways NFL offenses can use the tight end position to create matchups at all levels of the field.

Whether that is the seam route versus Cover 4, the deep over versus Cover 1, the inside vertical seam versus both Cover 2 and Cover 3 or the backside slant in the red zone, the ability to utilize the tight end leads to production.

This is an example of the tight end (in the “Dakota” formation) running the backside slant versus Cover 1 from the Chiefs-Broncos game in 2013. 

129f01e2154024b34c8cfe761d3e6805_origina

With the Broncos running the front-side “tare” combination, tight end Julius Thomas wins on the release versus safety Eric Berry and establishes inside positioning to create leverage back to the football.

And that’s all quarterback Peyton Manning needs to deliver the ball for a score before the free safety can impact the throw.

Another example versus Cover 2 is that inside vertical seam we talked about. Occupy the deep-half safeties (outside 9 routes) and isolate the tight end down the middle of the field with the Mike ‘backer playing with his back to the football.

Here’s a look at the Cowboys and tight end Jason Witten versus the Giants’ Cover 2 shell inside of the red zone.

432f7c25e30c2ec26131ffb4907157b9_origina

With Witten aligned as the No. 3 to the closed side of the formation, the Cowboys send two outside verticals up the field to widen the safeties off their landmarks (top of the numbers). This creates that one-on-one matchup inside for Witten versus the Mike ‘backer.

ad2ba871a48ec93c996d686fd22343a7_origina

Tough spot for the Mike ‘backer. Even with both safeties overlapping the seam route (break on the throw), the linebacker can’t find the ball as quarterback Tony Romo puts this throw on the back shoulder of Witten for six points.

These are just two quick examples, but you can get an idea of howEbron can be featured inside of the red zone to produce points in the NFL.

Is Ebron a Top-15 Talent?

Ebron is still a developing player, but given his skill set (and the demand for production at the tight end position in the NFL), the UNC product should be viewed as a top-15 talent in this year’s class.

hi-res-d181df3a21a73db95c8f91d11c966c2e_

USA TODAY Sports

As a former safety in the NFL, I understand how the tight end can impact a defensive game plan and put stress on the secondary when the ball gets inside of the 20-yard line.

Ebron has the ability to stretch a defense down the middle of the field or win as a receiver removed from the core of the formation.  And that’s exactly what NFL offenses want at the tight end position in today’s game.

it's notable that they gave Jeff Cumberland a 3 year deal about 6 weeks ago. That's not usually the move of a team planning to draft a TE in rd 1. 

I don't think it's notable.  He's easily cut whenever they want.  They view him as a stop-gap guy who still has some untapped upside.  Also he's not such a noticeable dropoff from par if he primarily sees the field in 2 TE sets.  

Hell, if they get another TE they can always have him drop 20-30 lbs and convert him back to WR.  For a WR he might be considered a decent blocker, but not so much as a starting TE even though he's better than he was.  

But truthfully, most TEs are way more one or the other, and few are above-average at both, like Heath Miller is (or was).  Jimmy Graham certainly isn't an elite run-blocker, but any of us would take him without batting an eye if he was available now.

I'd be happy w Ebron at 18. I think that's right in his range, somewhere between picks 15-20. Cumberland sure as hell isn't going to cut it...as a starter anyway.

buff may take him and he will never get by balt or pitt before us..

I don't think it's notable.  He's easily cut whenever they want.  They view him as a stop-gap guy who still has some untapped upside.  Also he's not such a noticeable dropoff from par if he primarily sees the field in 2 TE sets.  

Hell, if they get another TE they can always have him drop 20-30 lbs and convert him back to WR.  For a WR he might be considered a decent blocker, but not so much as a starting TE even though he's better than he was.  

But truthfully, most TEs are way more one or the other, and few are above-average at both, like Heath Miller is (or was).  Jimmy Graham certainly isn't an elite run-blocker, but any of us would take him without batting an eye if he was available now.

agree, I dont know why Bit made that statement, Jets have measly 1M guaranteed on Cumby,, not 'notable' at all 

because EVERY scout says so. Not ONE has him other than the #1 TE or a Top10-20 pick.

Most think this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000267930/article/north-carolinas-eric-ebron-could-be-nfls-next-great-tight-end

But time will tell... :)

I understand I'm playing the contrarian role with Ebron but ever year half the top end prospects tend to bust. It's worth looking over a little more closely and when you do a lot of red flags pop up with him. Supposedly high maintenance persona, concentration drops, solid but not overwhelming production, very solid but not elite athlete. Suspect blocker.

At 18 for a TE with this many red flags makes me meh on the pick.

I understand I'm playing the contrarian role with Ebron but ever year half the top end prospects tend to bust. It's worth looking over a little more closely and when you do a lot of red flags pop up with him. Supposedly high maintenance persona, concentration drops, solid but not overwhelming production, very solid but not elite athlete. Suspect blocker.

At 18 for a TE with this many red flags makes me meh on the pick.

agree to disagree,, he had zero maintenance issues in college ,so confused on that one. Production fine but w/UNC ofense they spread it around to multiple guys,, he wasnt the main guy cause thats just not thier system.. graham isnt  agreta b;ocker either,,this guy will closest thing to graham we have seen ..

thats just me and we will agree to disagree and let time tell.. I am as confident in Eric as I was in Gio last year being huge impact..

Cumberland is not a guy that precludes making a draft pick.  Ever, but he is never converting back to WR.  He was a borderline prospect coming out.  He is not dropping weight and becoming a WR again.  Downfield blocking for a WR is irrelevant. 

agree to disagree,, he had zero maintenance issues in college ,so confused on that one. Production fine but w/UNC ofense they spread it around to multiple guys,, he wasnt the main guy cause thats just not thier system.. graham isnt agreta b;ocker either,,this guy will closest thing to graham we have seen ..

thats just me and we will agree to disagree and let time tell.. I am as confident in Eric as I was in Gio last year being huge impact..

Hopefully you remember I was a huge Gio fan last year. The high maintenance stuff I've read more on the insider tip. Pauline I think was one where I read it from.

why not. That's where u find out how good an athlete te guy is by metrics. Not what kind of player he is but what kind of athlete he is, physically.

nah, way overblown,,game speed diff than track speed, pad speed and mobility different also. .combine OK, but over rated,,scouts will tell u same,, they rely 90% on years worth of tape/scoutingt and 10% on combine. The interview at combine might be most important thing lol

Hopefully you remember I was a huge Gio fan last year. The high maintenance stuff I've read more on the insider tip. Pauline I think was one where I read it from.

Pauline be wrong.. he is over the top personality who will surely say some crazy things, but show up on gameday and team mates love him

buff may take him and he will never get by balt or pitt before us..

I hope one of them does, and allows another WR to drop.

With Ebron, you're basically betting on him being a Jimmy Graham level talent. Merely working out as a decent starter doesn't justify the pick. But if you take a Lee, Beckham, or Cooks, and they can emerge as a decent starting WR, their production will be more than all but just a couple TEs (if any at all). I like the odds at WR so much better.

I hope one of them does, and allows another WR to drop.

With Ebron, you're basically betting on him being a Jimmy Graham level talent. Merely working out as a decent starter doesn't justify the pick. But if you take a Lee, Beckham, or Cooks, and they can emerge as a decent starting WR, their production will be more than all but just a couple TEs (if any at all). I like the odds at WR so much better.

see thats where I disagree,, I know enough about Ebron to know he would be WR/TE hybrid like Graham and mismatch for LBs giving Geno a great safety valve until he learns all his progressions better. But I'm a old fart so who cares ;)

I go to UNC... Ebron having a high maintenance persona is 100% accurate.  That being said, he's one hell of an athlete and I would be thrilled if he fell to 18

Cool, You need to join us on gamedsays at Oh Mulligans Sports Bar near RDU Airport then.

Jets Triangle Fan Club meets there (50-80 ex NY/NJ/Conn. folks) and watch games. Huge screen/sound for Jets w/other TVs showing all other games om walls.

Ebron is over the top (NCSU comments before NCSU game) I grant you, but teammates love him. You know that if you are there :)

My 2 sons are UNC-CH alumni ) Go Heels!!

1. Teams are convinced #Ravens will move back, like teams are convinced #49ers want to jump up for a speedy WR. I wonder if those teams’ll talk

• 12:09 PM - 30 Apr 2014 · Details
  2. @RapSheet Do you think with 12 draft picks will/should Jets trade up for elite WR or TE Ebron??

Expand
    •  

Archived