With the 18th pick, the New York Jets select Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

stugotz81

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he drops passes. that's on all the scouting reports.

Please yet he is 1 by same scouts, he was double teamed in college very play and credited with some drops, big deal, jimmy graham gets dinged a lot, if hands a issue he wouldn't be consensus top 15 pick, I give up lol

Please yet he is 1 by same scouts, he was double teamed in college very play and credited with some drops, big deal, jimmy graham gets dinged a lot, if hands a issue he wouldn't be consensus top 15 pick, I give up lol

what does credited with drops mean ?  he doesn't have great hands.  I would like my TE to have great hands.  otherwise it's just kyle brady but without the blocking

what does credited with drops mean ? he doesn't have great hands. I would like my TE to have great hands. otherwise it's just kyle brady but without the blocking

U have no idea but not your fault,,they said gio couldn't handle the bigger lineman, Ebron will be nfl rook of year

I have no problem taking a TE in the first round, so long as he's worthy of it, which I don't think Ebron or any of these guys are. I haven't liked him as a first rounder since the season started and my opinion hasn't changed. To tell you the truth, the best athlete and most talented TE in this draft is Lyerla, but since he's a he's f*cking clownshoes it's hard to see him getting drafted until day 3. If whoever drafts him can keep him in line and not burying his nose in a bowl full of powder, he's got legit multiple pro-bowl potential. Perfect player to use one of those compensatory picks on.

serious question could Ebron beat out Cumby for the starting position? If not by week 1, by when? Spoiler alert I don't think he could beat him out. Whoever the Jets take in rd 1 should have a relatively clear path to start.

They didn't go that way last year. Last year they selected richardson when we all thought that the starting line was set with mo, ellis, and coples. Everyone was in an uproar when we took another dlineman...I know I wasn't happy, and then he became DROY. I'm not saying that I want ebron, but a clear path to start does not dictate who they pick. Furthermore this is becoming a two tight end kind of league.

They didn't go that way last year. Last year they selected richardson when we all thought that the starting line was set with mo, ellis, and coples. Everyone was in an uproar when we took another dlineman...I know I wasn't happy, and then he became DROY. I'm not saying that I want ebron, but a clear path to start does not dictate who they pick. Furthermore this is becoming a two tight end kind of league.

they did have a starting role for Sheldon. Ellis was never truly entrenched as a starter and they bumped Coples to OLB.

as for the the two tight ends you make a sound point, but that seems like a luxury pick to build around a FQB (hence all the EBron to NYG mock draft projections). It's something the Pats or Broncos could do and people would call them amazing picks. 

The Jets need a TE but that position has been cursed over the years. the list is disgusting: Mitchell, Brady, Becht, Keller

they need WR/CB worse. 

they did have a starting role for Sheldon. Ellis was never truly entrenched as a starter and they bumped Coples to OLB.

as for the the two tight ends you make a sound point, but that seems like a luxury pick to build around a FQB (hence all the EBron to NYG mock draft projections). It's something the Pats or Broncos could do and people would call them amazing picks. 

The Jets need a TE but that position has been cursed over the years. the list is disgusting: Mitchell, Brady, Becht, Keller

they need WR/CB worse. 

What if the tight end tries really hard all the time?

they need WR/CB worse. 

Well Sheldon was the starting DE and Harrison was the starting DT. They moved Coples because they drafted Richardson, not because they decided to do so at the end of last season, so in reality we drafted Richardson with someone who already was a projected starter at his position.

I agree we need a WR/CB and would prefer to go WR in round 1. However, not drafting a tight end because we've had a bad history is a terrible reason not to draft a quality player. I've read that this is the reason we shouldn't draft Ebron in the first round a lot on here. You don't like his stats, his measurables, his work ethic, etc...fine I get it don't draft him. But don't tell me we shouldn't draft him because we screwed up before, that is ridiculous mindset. That's like saying don't draft a QB in the first round because we haven't drafted well in the past there either. 

Personally I prefer Niklas out of ND for tight end, partly because I've had a friend talk him up to me for a while but also because he is different from Cumberland. He was originally a pass rushing OLB/DE at ND before changing sides. In high school he was a dominant OL and is an extremely physical blocker. These are things Cumberland are not, so I like the idea of matching those two up together. And I like his potential to eventually be a solid pass catcher, since he is apparently a freak of an athlete. 

Personally I prefer Niklas out of ND for tight end, partly because I've had a friend talk him up to me for a while but also because he is different from Cumberland. He was originally a pass rushing OLB/DE at ND before changing sides. In high school he was a dominant OL and is an extremely physical blocker. These are things Cumberland are not, so I like the idea of matching those two up together. And I like his potential to eventually be a solid pass catcher, since he is apparently a freak of an athlete. 

I would love niklas.  which means he will be a pat* or giant, packer or steeler, lol

I rarely get passionate about players to extent I send emails to Jets Front Office..

Only because I saw these guys in person play and practice, in last few years I've sent emails begging Jets to draft:  2009 Hakeem Nicks/Brandon Tate, 2012 Russ Wilson, 2013 Gio Bernard and 2014 Eric Ebron.

I also have sent them a 'head up' on a future slot wr/PR named Ryan Switzer (2016)

However, not drafting a tight end because we've had a bad history is a terrible reason not to draft a quality player. I've read that this is the reason we shouldn't draft Ebron in the first round a lot on here. You don't like his stats, his measurables, his work ethic, etc...fine I get it don't draft him. But don't tell me we shouldn't draft him because we screwed up before, that is ridiculous mindset. That's like saying don't draft a QB in the first round because we haven't drafted well in the past there either. 

Personally I prefer Niklas out of ND for tight end, 

In another thread someone posted the list of first round TE in the last decade or more... It's arguable that's a good idea for any team, let alone the Jets. The best was Vernon Davis and it took him years to come around. it's a disaster pick waiting to happen for any team not just the JEts. Kellen Winslow Jr was a good outcome on that list. On all NFL teams it's not really  mid 1st round important. Alot of the TE sneak into the round in the last 4 picks. Keller for example. 

Which brings us to the Jets. The Jets picking a TE in rd 1 is like insisting on playing blackjack at a cold table. Just making a bad decision, because math is math or whatever. it shouldn't matter but it does.

The draft is a place where history matters and superstition, at least in my book, is an ok part of analysis. This is not the scientific method it's sometimes more an art than a science. Don't want to take a USC QB cause the last one made the buttfumble? im ok with that. 

Agree about Niklas. I like CJ Fiedorowicz. One day maybe I'll learn to spell his name. There's alot of other TE. 

The draft is a place where history matters and superstition, at least in my book, is an ok part of analysis. This is not the scientific method it's sometimes more an art than a science.

If your process is guess, test, compare results to reality then it's science. If your process is playing madlibs with jargon then it's performance art. You're like the Andy Kaufman of armchair draft bozos.

Here is a list of 1st round TEs drafted since 2000.

RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL TEAM

1     14     Bubba Franks     TE     Miami (Fla.)     Green Bay Packers

1     27     Anthony Becht     TE     West Virginia     New York Jets

1     31     Todd Heap     TE     Arizona State     Baltimore Ravens

1     14     Jeremy Shockey     TE     Miami (Fla.)     New York Giants

1     21     Daniel Graham     TE     Colorado     New England Patriots

1     28     Jerramy Stevens     TE     Washington     Seattle Seahawks

1     24     Dallas Clark     TE     Iowa     Indianapolis Colts

1     6     Kellen Winslow     TE     Miami (Fla.)     Cleveland Browns

1     32     Benjamin Watson     TE     Georgia     New England Patriots

1     30     Heath Miller     TE     Virginia     Pittsburgh Steelers

1     6     Vernon Davis     TE     Maryland     San Francisco 49ers

1     28     Marcedes Lewis     TE     UCLA     Jacksonville Jaguars

1     31     Greg Olsen     TE     Miami (Fla.)     Chicago Bears

1     30     Dustin Keller     TE     Purdue     New York Jets

1     20     Brandon Pettigrew     TE     Oklahoma State     Detroit Lions

1     21     Jermaine Gresham     TE     Oklahoma     Cincinnati Bengals

1     21     Tyler Eifert     TE     Notre Dame     Cincinnati Bengals

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=TE&type=position

Weeks ago I was all in for Ebron, but have cooled off considerably.  Although he's a nice prospect, there is nothing that I've seen on highlights, game film, etc. that makes him stand out to be a Jimmy Graham, Gronk type player.  IMO, if you're drafting a TE in the first, it's either guys that are comparable to elite or immediate impact players.  Ebron has a few "big" plays, but from the looks of it, doesn't have great hands, is quick but not fast, AND goes down at first contact.  For a "physical freak", that has measurable traits comparable to Vernon Davis him going down immediately and not being able to break tackles screams needs to develop strength and will level off once he gets to the NFL.  

TE wise, I haven't seen much of Amaro or ASJ but have a new man-crush on Troy Niklas.  Guy doesn't have statistics that jump off the stat-sheet, but has alot of upside that would fit into the Jets scheme:  Big physical player that engages in run blocking, versatility in playing h-back, inline blocker or 3rd tackle, and also his measurables 6,7' 270 (the biggest TE in the draft).   He may not blow guys down the seams, but between him and Decker, there are two very large frames in the red zone, and possible jump-ball situations if split out against a smaller CB.

The Jets would get better value than the 3 TEs projected before him, but could have a quality starter. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1893206/troy-niklas

The Ebron/Davis comps need to stop, Davis was/is way more of a freak athlete. If Ebron put up that kind of combine no way would the Jets have a shot.

It seems like everyone coming out of Maryland for a handful of years was genetically engineered. It has seemed to slow down a tad, I wonder if anyone caught on to something extracurricular going on there. 

It seems like everyone coming out of Maryland for a handful of years was genetically engineered. It has seemed to slow down a tad, I wonder if anyone caught on to something extracurricular going on there. 

The NFL doesn't care. There is no steroid issue in football.

1st round TEs and guards are the same to me in the sense that they're bad decisions unless the guy is a HOF talent. If they're just above average there is often more impactful positions to draft. There's also going to be some decent TE prospect available to us with our 2nd rounder this year so that i think would probably be better value.

Holy sh*t.  This is almost a case of Eric Ebron is to Vernon Davis as I am to Eric Ebron. 

It's not even to say I don't like Eric Ebron. He's a good prospect. But he's basically the same athlete as Tyler Eifert at a little less the production, a little more of the attitude/maturity concern, not quite the blocker, not quite the same reliable, consistent hands and an inch shorter. 

Archived