How many draft picks do you think Jets use this year?

SouthernJet

How many draft picks do you think Jets use this year?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How many draft picks do you think Jets use this year?

• Less

Jets will most likely trade up in the second round for TE Jace Amaro after taking a CB in round one. They will address WR in third round with Aberderis of Indiana. Jets are not that bad off at WR right now and in fact could add a FA like Miles Austin on the cheap after the draft.

not for this year, they would be for out years, ,we DO NOT want 13/14 guys drafted ,LOL

Why not? I don't get this concept that you can have too many draft picks. The Jets have holes at practically every position on the team, why not throw as many prospects at the problem as possible? There isn't room to cut players from last year? Overhauling the practice squad would be a mistake?

This is a deep draft. If they can move down in the first round and pick up an extra second or third rounder, they should be all over that. As it stands, half their picks are in the last three rounds. Fully one third of the frequently bandied about 12 picks are three comp sixth rounders and a seventh. Hardly locks to make the team. Adding another pick or two in the top 100 would be huge.

Why not? I don't get this concept that you can have too many draft picks. The Jets have holes at practically every position on the team, why not throw as many prospects at the problem as possible? There isn't room to cut players from last year? Overhauling the practice squad would be a mistake?

This is a deep draft. If they can move down in the first round and pick up an extra second or third rounder, they should be all over that. As it stands, half their picks are in the last three rounds. Fully one third of the frequently bandied about 12 picks are three comp sixth rounders and a seventh. Hardly locks to make the team. Adding another pick or two in the top 100 would be huge.

just my thinking, I could be wrong. I see no need for 12 guys plus UDFAs, I'd rather tradeup somewhere in draft for  a stud they really beleive in or grab some 2015 picks if Idzik thinks thats smart

just my thinking, I could be wrong. I see no need for 12 guys plus UDFAs, I'd rather tradeup somewhere in draft for  a stud they really beleive in or grab some 2015 picks if Idzik thinks thats smart

You're too focused on that 12 number, IMHO. Three-quarters of those twelve selections will be made on the third day of the draft. Meanwhile, I think most of us have in mind some combination WR/CB/TE/S in the first three rounds that will either start immediately, or at least be major contributors from the get-go. I won't really have that feeling about the draft's third day. Why not add another pick or two in the second or third? Another potential starter or two?

It takes a dance partner to move down, and the Jets probably shouldn't even consider it if they love someone sitting at #18, but if the circumstances fell perfectly, trading down could be an excellent move.

Mark my words, Carr is going to be picked late teens.  Someone is going to trade up to get him.  Just once I would like to be the team that benefits from someone elses panic. 

just a side note, I would love us to draft Carr but its not going to happen.

Mark my words, Carr is going to be picked late teens.  Someone is going to trade up to get him.  Just once I would like to be the team that benefits from someone elses panic. 

Great article yesterday on Derek Carr and his brother David's influence on him in ESPN.com. If you have time, check out the article.

if we draft 13 players and cut 6 of them idk how id feel.

This is a draft to move up maybe even to watkins territory

I would feel great, especially if 4 or 5 of those guys stick with us on our practice squad after cuts.  In the past, we have never had any of our final cuts claimed by anyone or had too many of our practice squad guys pilfered by other clubs.  If we cut 6 draft picks it means our squad is strong and deep.  But, we won't be cutting 6 of them.

I'm curious to hear the explanation of the person who voted for less than 5 picks

He probably was just screwing around, but I do think Idz trades at least 2 picks

to move up in the second or third, this is a CB/WR or bust draft, a legitimate reason

to turn tanny and move up even twice, only dif is tanny didn't have a stockpile of

draft choices to use, after seeing the interview with Idz on Jet.com, I do believe

he will trade up, maybe even just a couple spots in round one, I'd be happy with

4 picks if we got the right guys, but most people don't really care about 6th and 7th

round draft choices, even bill parcells was a 5th round selection.

if we draft 13 players and cut 6 of them idk how id feel.

This is a draft to move up maybe even to watkins territory

No it's not. This is a draft where you want a number of picks in the first three rounds, you don't want to trade your second and/or third rounders leaving yourself with just one or two picks in the top 100. Watkins is an exciting prospect, but there's already been plenty of talk that Beckham or Cooks could wind up having the better career. Trade down a few spots, add a third rounder, and still land a guy like Cooks? That would be my ideal scenario.

And trading picks away doesn't make those three comp picks in the sixth round better. If those guys are making the team solely because you traded away a number of other picks, how much have you really improved the team?

Mark my words, Carr is going to be picked late teens. Someone is going to trade up to get him. Just once I would like to be the team that benefits from someone elses panic.

Rewatch the USC bowl game, it's on now. He's horrible under pressure.

He probably was just screwing around, but I do think Idz trades at least 2 picks

to move up in the second or third, this is a CB/WR or bust draft, a legitimate reason

to turn tanny and move up even twice, only dif is tanny didn't have a stockpile of

draft choices to use, after seeing the interview with Idz on Jet.com, I do believe

he will trade up, maybe even just a couple spots in round one, I'd be happy with

4 picks if we got the right guys, but most people don't really care about 6th and 7th

round draft choices, even bill parcells was a 5th round selection.

I think so too, I think we'll use 10.

He probably was just screwing around, but I do think Idz trades at least 2 picksto move up in the second or third, this is a CB/WR or bust draft, a legitimate reasonto turn tanny and move up even twice, only dif is tanny didn't have a stockpile ofdraft choices to use, after seeing the interview with Idz on Jet.com, I do believehe will trade up, maybe even just a couple spots in round one, I'd be happy with4 picks if we got the right guys, but most people don't really care about 6th and 7thround draft choices, even bill parcells was a 5th round selection.

I expected him to trade up last year in the second round, when everyone and their grandmother knew he was targeting Geno Smith, but instead he waited patiently and made the selection when it was his turn. Also, the world champion team he left to join the Jets drafted 9, 9, 10, and 11 players, respectively, over the last four years. That's the philosophy he comes from. He's stated repeatedly that his plan is to build thru the draft, and I don't think he has any concerns about drafting a significant number of players.

Even Bill Parcells was a 5th round selection?

I expected him to trade up last year in the second round, when everyone and their grandmother knew he was targeting Geno Smith, but instead he waited patiently and made the selection when it was his turn. Also, the world champion team he left to join the Jets drafted 9, 9, 10, and 11 players, respectively, over the last four years. That's the philosophy he comes from. He's stated repeatedly that his plan is to build thru the draft, and I don't think he has any concerns about drafting a significant number of players.

Even Bill Parcells was a 5th round selection?

Parcells was drafted by the Lions in the 5th round in 1964. Surprised the hell out of me too.

No it's not. This is a draft where you want a number of picks in the first three rounds, you don't want to trade your second and/or third rounders leaving yourself with just one or two picks in the top 100. Watkins is an exciting prospect, but there's already been plenty of talk that Beckham or Cooks could wind up having the better career. Trade down a few spots, add a third rounder, and still land a guy like Cooks? That would be my ideal scenario.

And trading picks away doesn't make those three comp picks in the sixth round better. If those guys are making the team solely because you traded away a number of other picks, how much have you really improved the team?

there are only so many rosters spots available. I thought you liked going best pick available?

if your not plugging holes and are drafting best available there is only so much playing time the 13 picks could get if most even make the team. Is there a breakdown of how many spots open we have realistically available? Im sure saftey is open and maybe TE but im not sure otherwise how the roster looks especially if we carrying 4 running backs and maybe 3 qbs.

According to Idzik, every spot is available and I agree. Take BPA at every pick and then compete. Eventually they'll hit in the later rounds too. They can't hit a Richard Sherman or a Tom Brady if they trade the pick away...

there are only so many rosters spots available. I thought you liked going best pick available?

if your not plugging holes and are drafting best available there is only so much playing time the 13 picks could get if most even make the team. Is there a breakdown of how many spots open we have realistically available? Im sure saftey is open and maybe TE but im not sure otherwise how the roster looks especially if we carrying 4 running backs and maybe 3 qbs.

I mentioned in another thread that the Seahawks drafted 9, 9, and 10 players in Idzik's last few years there. The year after he left (and they won the Super Bowl) they drafted 11. You don't think the Jets have room for one more draft pick than last year's Super Bowl Champ?

There is room for improvement at every position on the roster. Yes, even the DL. They need, and/or could really use, starting WR, CB, TE, S, LB, and OL.

Trading picks away because you're afraid you have too many is perhaps the worst possible argument. Fortunately, I don't think that's the way that a GM who endlessly preaches the need for competition thinks. You use your picks, drafting the BAP at every spot (maybe leaning a little more towards unfilled needs late), and let the roster fall where it may. If you're cutting players that other teams pick up, you've probably done a nice job improving your roster. If they don't get picked up, there's always the practice squad.

I mentioned in another thread that the Seahawks drafted 9, 9, and 10 players in Idzik's last few years there. The year after he left (and they won the Super Bowl) they drafted 11. You don't think the Jets have room for one more draft pick than last year's Super Bowl Champ?

There is room for improvement at every position on the roster. Yes, even the DL. They need, and/or could really use, starting WR, CB, TE, S, LB, and OL.

Trading picks away because you're afraid you have too many is perhaps the worst possible argument. Fortunately, I don't think that's the way that a GM who endlessly preaches the need for competition thinks. You use your picks, drafting the BAP at every spot (maybe leaning a little more towards unfilled needs late), and let the roster fall where it may. If you're cutting players that other teams pick up, you've probably done a nice job improving your roster. If they don't get picked up, there's always the practice squad.

I think more a chance IF we trade picks is we trade for 2015 picks, not to move up

I think more a chance IF we trade picks is we trade for 2015 picks, not to move up

That's a whole 'nother story. I wouldn't object to them, say, trading their original fourth rounder for a third next year.

I voted 12, but I could see him trading a 4th pick for a player, rather a pick to move up in the draft

makes sense to me, every pick should net you a body.  2-3 picks for a body gets very risky

Archived