Dexter McDougle

F.Chowds

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the 3rd round of the NFL draft the Jets have added a cornerback, Dexter McDougle.  With the 80th overall pick, the Jets selected McDougle who played at Maryland.

This pick is interesting, most draft experts initially had him listed as a late round pick because he missed almost his entire senior year.

McDougle, from Falmouth, Virginia, wasn’t highly touted entering the draft after missing the final nine games last season with an injured shoulder. But his 4.4 speed made him an active playmaker when healthy at Maryland, where he had three interceptions last season, including one for a touchdown.

The 5-foot-10 McDougle spent the rest of the season attending every practice and meeting despite the injury, prompting coach Randy Edsall to create and honor him with the Dexter McDougle Ultimate Team Player Award.

McDougle was at the combine but didn’t work out, he only spoke with scouts.  He did turn heads at his pro-day and John Idzik obviously was impressed.  The Baltimore Sun provides additional details:

McDougle missed the last nine games of his senior year with a shoulder injury that occurred at the end of the best game he had ever played at Maryland. He had two interceptions, including one returned 49 yards for a touchdown in a Sept. 21 win at Connecticut.

“I’ve been looking forward to this day, I finally get to show them [the scouts] that I’m finally moving again, show them a little of what I can do at my position, to show them I haven’t lost a step,” said McDougle, who went to the NFL combine in Indianapolis to talk with teams but did not work out. “Today was definitely a big day.”

Considered the most promising NFL prospect among those who worked out Tuesday — he was the only member of a small Maryland senior class to have been invited to Indianapolis — McDougle definitely showed that he hasn’t lost any speed. He said he was timed between a 4.43 and a 4.48 in the 40-yard dash.

“That’s a good time. I just want to keep it in the low 4. 4 range,” he said.

It is definitely a risky pick but the Jets have a huge need at CB and you can’t teach speed.  If McDougle can stay healthy he will benefit from playing under Rex Ryan.  John Idzik is betting on that happening.  New York Jets fans seemed divided on this pick.  Let us know where you stand on Dexter McDougle.

Don't know much about the kid, but his speed looks well above average, should be able to handle Punt Returns. Plays much bigger than his size, and his football IQ seems above average, Jets could have waited till the 4th more than likely, but like when they drafted D Davis, they went after the guy they wanted, hope he turns out to be a huge surprise.

"Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock aren't experts, they don't know dookie!"

"Oh noes, we picked a guy that did match the expert grades!"

Effin Jets fans.

I'm with you, but I still hate Kiper and Mayock and think they suck. I am hopeful McDougle turns into a big surprise.

WATCH THE TAPE BRO

So other than you not knowing anything about him why is this a bad pick?  Was there a game changing WR they missed out on?  Full disclosure I don't know the answer to either of these questions.  But I'm pretty sure you don't either.

Jets picked a sixth or seventh round pick in the 3rd round of one of the most deepest drafts in the last 25 years. Whoever made this decision should be fined. He didn't even play a full year last year. If you wanted to draft a cornerback there were at least 10 cornerbacks that I watched and were ranked on every board possible. 1.keith MCGILL, PHILLIP GAINES, BASHAUD BRELAND, WALT AIKENS, PIERRE DESIR, DONTAE JOHNSON, NEVIN LAWSON, Aaron Colvin and E. J.Gaines are all way better and rated better than this player. Oh yeah I forgot Jaylen Watkins and Ross Cockrell.

Jets picked a sixth or seventh round pick in the 3rd round of one of the most deepest drafts in the last 25 years. Whoever made this decision should be fined. He didn't even play a full year last year. If you wanted to draft a cornerback there were at least 10 cornerbacks that I watched and were ranked on every board possible. 1.keith MCGILL, PHILLIP GAINES, BASHAUD BRELAND, WALT AIKENS, PIERRE DESIR, DONTAE JOHNSON, NEVIN LAWSON, Aaron Colvin and E. J.Gaines are all way better and rated better than this player. Oh yeah I forgot Jaylen Watkins and Ross Cockrell.

I will notify the authorities, posthaste!

Well at least your backing up your outrage with names.  I don't know any of them but it gives me something to google.

Lets hope that Rex Ryan, a guy who is supposedly a defensive back mastermind, knows talent better than a dude with no AV, and 22 posts on a fan forum. 

That sucks. Maybe you can write a long, thoughtful letter to the Jets FO to lend your advice. Although it's rather weird how some of your players randomly capitalize their names. Maybe that's why the Jets were unaware of these prospects? I bet that's it. Also, I'm a little disappointed you almost forgot Jaylen Watkins and Ross Cockrell. Don't let it happen again. As our board draft expert we expect big things from you. 

So it took me 30 seconds on nfl.com to see this kid was projected as a 3rd rounder:

Dexter McDougle, CB (5-foot-10 1/4, 196 pounds) — McDougle ran the 40-yard dash three times, doing so in 4.53, 4.47 and 4.51 seconds. He had a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-2 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.18 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.84 seconds. Like at the NFL Scouting Combine, a shoulder injury prevented McDougle from doing the bench press. He looked very good on the positional workout, which was conducted by the defensive backs coach from the Giants. McDougle — who is a probable third-round draft choice — just returned this morning on a red-eye flight following a visit with the Oakland Raiders.

I thought you said everyone had him as a 6th or 7th?

So it took me 30 seconds on nfl.com to see this kid was projected as a 3rd rounder:

Dexter McDougle, CB (5-foot-10 1/4, 196 pounds) — McDougle ran the 40-yard dash three times, doing so in 4.53, 4.47 and 4.51 seconds. He had a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-2 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.18 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.84 seconds. Like at the NFL Scouting Combine, a shoulder injury prevented McDougle from doing the bench press. He looked very good on the positional workout, which was conducted by the defensive backs coach from the Giants. McDougle — who is a probable third-round draft choice — just returned this morning on a red-eye flight following a visit with the Oakland Raiders.

How dare you prove him wrong with facts? HOW DARE YOU??? What the hell is wrong with you man?

In case anyone is wondering we passed up on Ross Cockrell..

1113690.jpg

If he wouldn't have struck fear into the hearts of every AFC East WR I don't know who could have.

This makes up for the cat combing, somewhat. LOL

So other than you not knowing anything about him why is this a bad pick? Was there a game changing WR they missed out on? Full disclosure I don't know the answer to either of these questions. But I'm pretty sure you don't either.

Who said it was a bad pick, other than your ESL subconscious?

I don't follow.

Im just bored and playing around man..  You know way more about these prospects than I do.  Doesn't mean I can't bust your chops a little.

But seriously..  who was the pick?  I've got an open tab with google fired up ready to search the name you give me.

Archived