Now Calvin Pryor is Sidelined from OTA's. Surgery Needed! ...dental surgery

Villain The Foe

FLORHAM PARK – Calvin Pryor first felt the pain in the back of his mouth near the end of last week, as he prepared to fly home to Port St. Joe, Fla., for Memorial Day weekend.

“Once I got on that plane ride, that’s when they really hit me,” said Pryor, a safety whom the Jets drafted in the first round earlier this month.

Upon his return, he spoke to the Jets’ trainers, who arranged a dental appointment. As it turns out, Pryor needs to have three of his wisdom teeth extracted. He had one of them removed during his college days at Louisville.

Pryor expects to have the teeth removed by the end of this week. In the meantime, he has been unable to fully participate in either of the Jets’ two organized team activities practices, on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The Jets’ next OTA date is Friday, followed by next week’s sessions on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

“My mouth is kind of swollen, so I can’t put my helmet on,” Pryor said. “So (the trainers) don’t want me out there with contact right now.”

Pryor participated in individual drills without his helmet at Wednesday’s practice – the first OTA session open to reporters – but spent team periods on the sideline riding a stationary bike and observing.

The Jets’ first-team safeties Wednesday were Antonio Allen and Dawan Landry, returning starters who will have to fend off Pryor in a competition for playing time.

“The only thing I’ve been doing is just individual (drills in practice),” Pryor said. “I haven’t done any team work or anything. I can’t put any pressure on the side of my mouth right now. I should be back next week.”

Pryor said being sidelined by his teeth is “very frustrating, because I want to be out there with the guys. But at the same time, it’s just camp. I’m getting my mental reps in. I’m able to communicate, watch more film. I’ll get back out soon. I’m ready to get to work. I’m just trying to put this behind me so I can get back to football.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan, who has raved about Pryor’s potential, seems unconcerned about his absence so far.

“It’s not really frustrating,” Ryan said. “We saw him in the rookie mini camp (May 16-18), so that was impressive. You talk about a passionate guy and the enthusiasm and everything else, you’ll see it. When he gets out there, you’ll see it. He’s going to miss a few days.”

:sign0151:      I know the title scared half of you guys! I just couldn't help myself. 

Archived