Marshwn Lynch considering retirement

AFJF

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2014/06/12/report-seahawks-marshawn-lynch-has-considered-retiring-after-super-bowl-victory/

Normally, I'd call this a negotiation tactic, but funny enough I was telling Max just yesterday that a buddy of mine met and talked to Lynch on a business trip a few weeks ago.  He said he talked to Marshawn for about fifteen minutes, and Lych just kept shaking his head and saying "I dont know how much longer I'm going to do this".  He apparently mentioned retiring at least a half dozen times.

Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch, who will reportedly miss next week’s mandatory minicamp, told teammates during the 2013 season that he would consider retiring if the Hawks won Super Bowl XLVIII, according to a report.

As we all know, they did win the Lombardi Trophy.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that Lynch, 28, told two teammates during last season that he would seriously contemplate retiring after seven years in the NFL, including four Pro Bowl and one first-team All-Pro seasons. An anonymous source close to Lynch told Rapoport that retirement wouldn’t be a huge surprise.

marshawnlynch-231x300.jpg

Marshawn Lynch runs against the St. Louis Rams during the Seahawks’ 27-9 victory Dec. 29 in Seattle. (Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

“He could,” the source told Rapoport. “I could see him walking away.”

This latest news could, however, be a thinly veiled negotiating tactic as Lynch reportedly jockeys for more money this offseason. While he is expected to miss Seahawks minicamp next week, to this point he didn’t seem to have much leverage in talks with his team.

News broke Wednesday that Lynch may be holding out for a restructured contract after functioning as the lynchpin of Seattle’s offense for the better part of four seasons, including 2013′s run to the Super Bowl championship. In the last three seasons, he’s led the NFL with 1,002 regular-season and playoff carries, totaling 4,517 rushing yards and 41 touchdowns, and earning his place among the highest-paid running backs in the NFL.

Lynch will be entering the third year of a four-year contract he signed with the team in March 2012, earning a base salary of $5 million and bonuses that could bring the total to $7 million. In 2015, he’s set to earn $5.5 million in base salary and up to $3.5 million in additional roster bonuses for a $9 million hit against the salary cap, leading some to believe he would need to restructure his deal in order to remain with the team past this coming season.

According to the most recent collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players’ union, “Beast Mode” could be fined up to $69,455 if he misses all three days of next week’s minicamp.

On Thursday after the last day of OTA practices, the Seahawks did not address Lynch’s potential absence from minicamp. But center Max Unger told reporters that he is not worried.

“He has his own things going on,” Unger said of Lynch, as reported by ESPN. “We’d love to have him, but by no means would it change my view of him. Not at all. The guy has more than proven himself and shown he’s capable of coming to training camp in shape. As long as he does his thing on Sunday I’ve got no problems with him at all.”

Rapoport also noted Thursday, citing anonymous sources close to the Seahawks, that the team is wary of Lynch’s unpredictability. Here’s more from NFL.com:

Team sources have explained to Rapoport that they have added (Christine) Michael and (Robert) Turbin in the draft over the past few years because Lynch’s actions are so unpredictable. As much as the team’s brass loves and appreciates Lynch, they don’t want to be left holding the bag if plans go awry.

It’s not unusual for stories of this nature to pop up in June. The Ravens seemingly dealt with it on an annual basis with Ed Reed.

Seahawks fans have no reason to panic unless Lynch is still giving off mixed signals come September.

Lynch is responsible for some of the most memorable plays of recent Seahawks history, including his 67-yard “Beast Quake” touchdown run against the New Orleans Saints in a wild-card playoff game in 2011 that caused enough crowd noise at CenturyLink Field to register seismic activity nearby.

He is known equally for his physical running style and his aversion to the spotlight, incurring a $50,000 fine from the NFL for failing to speak with the press in designated sessions throughout the 2013 season. The fine was later rescinded after Lynch agreed to meet all media requirements through the team’s Super Bowl run.

The Tuna said that if you're taking about retirement, you're already halfway retired. And you know if the Tuna said it, it must be true.

Yup...he also said Dorian Boose was going to be an NFL player, and Hugh Douglas was only worth a 4th rd. pick...LOL

Marshawn Lynch marches to his own drum so nothing is impossible. But this one to me smells about like James Harrison threatening to retire a few years ago if he was fined for aggressive hits. "I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison told guest host Judy McDonald. "If not, I may have to give up playing football." Riiiiigghhhht. This feels about the same with Lynch.

To be fair, this is quite a bit different as this isn't Lynch saying this to the press. But it feels like posturing to me. Lynch says he has enough money to retire and clearly has an idea what the wear and tear on his body over the remaining years of his career are worth to him. He knows when he next becomes a free agent he will be hitting 30 and watched the running back market go flat. He wants to get his money while he can and may be willing to walk away if he doesn't get his money

Yeah, because Marshawn Lynch tells a lot of people anything. They ran the story because it's got guaranteed legs because he isn't going to talk to them to refute it.

No what I meant was he was just shooting his mouth off to a private group.  And he told teammates. I guess he doesn't have to tell a lot of people, but he is seriously considering it.  28 isn't a baby for running backs so he would only be leaving a few years early. Still surprising when some leaves behind millions.

Archived