If Cumberland and Amaro could at least become decent blockers

AFJF

It would do wonders for MM and the offense.  The thought of having two guys on the field who aren't a complete liability in the run game, while being legit threats getting moved all around the field could create some nice mismatches.  Basically, the Jets have two WR's playing the TE positing with Cumberland playing WR in college, and Amaro who took more snaps as a WR than TE.  I agree 100% with what was said in the #2 WR thread.  It almost doesn't matter who the no. 2 WR is because if Amaro and Cumberland are used the right way, Geno should have several targets to choose from. 

I like the idea of being able to run a no-huddle with the TE's able to go from blocking for the run game and then splitting out for some pass plays. Especially if they're on the field with CJ who catches the ball so well out of the back field. 

Thoughts?

The second TE is probably in something of a competition with the guys battling for the #2 WR spot, at least in terms of playing time. I'm sure they'll run some 2 TE sets, and those guys will have to be able to block from that line-up, but I think that, ultimately, they'll just try to get the best guys on the field.

Last thing nfl looked at with Ebron and amaro was blocking

Very true...but if they learned to do it, it allows MM to dial up running/passing plays without losing much effectiveness and create mismatches.  If all you can do is throw when he's on the field, it makes it that much tougher on a QB who needs as much help as he can get.  Having the ability to be less predictable helps that much more.

The second TE is probably in something of a competition with the guys battling for the #2 WR spot, at least in terms of playing time. I'm sure they'll run some 2 TE sets, and those guys will have to be able to block from that line-up, but I think that, ultimately, they'll just try to get the best guys on the field.

Agreed, but if you can take what is a glaring weakness from the best guys...all the better.

I understand what you are saying and it's true. But you could also say if Ivory would learn how to catch a screen pass it would do wonders too, and that should be an easier task than learning how to block. The Jets will certainly try to teach them, but I wouldn't get your hopes up any time soon.

I understand what you are saying and it's true. But you could also say if Ivory would learn how to catch a screen pass it would do wonders too, and that should be an easier task than learning how to block. The Jets will certainly try to teach them, but I wouldn't get your hopes up any time soon.

What you say is true, but I feel that given their physical tools they can line up in a few different spots, but I wouldn't expect to see that out of Ivory.  The article posted a few days ago said they've had Amaro in just about every spot a receiver can line up at.  If Ivory worked on his hands, I doubt we'd see him in the slot or out wide.  Of course the more tools  a guy has, the better.  I just think that with these two guys, they already have the size and the hands, and Cumberland has the speed.  I just hope they're able to find a way to utilize it without giving up too much in the run game.

What you say is true, but I feel that given their physical tools they can line up in a few different spots, but I wouldn't expect to see that out of Ivory. The article posted a few days ago said they've had Amaro in just about every spot a receiver can line up at. If Ivory worked on his hands, I doubt we'd see him in the slot or out wide. Of course the more tools a guy has, the better. I just think that with these two guys, they already have the size and the hands, and Cumberland has the speed. I just hope they're able to find a way to utilize it without giving up too much in the run game.

The problem with Ivory is that he's one dimensional. When he's the lone back, you know he's no threat as a receiver. Now if he can learn to catch, that would add a another dimension to the O. Could you imagine in this scenario CJ & Ivory in the backfield at the same time?

Oh my goodness, Amaro is 6'6 almost 270. HE CAN BLOCK. HE WAS NEVER ASKED TO IN COLLEGE. DON'T REBUTTAL BECAUSE I KNOW YOU DIDNT WATCH HIS COLLEGE FILM, YOU HEARD HE CAN'T BLOCK FROM SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. 

All those caps and his size don't mean that he can block either.  I have seen footage of him blocking and it wasn't impressive.  I'm sure he will be able to block some day, but it takes inline TEs some time to adjust to the NFL.

Oh my goodness, Amaro is 6'6 almost 270. HE CAN BLOCK. HE WAS NEVER ASKED TO IN COLLEGE. DON'T REBUTTAL BECAUSE I KNOW YOU DIDNT WATCH HIS COLLEGE FILM, YOU HEARD HE CAN'T BLOCK FROM SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT.

Technique my friend, technique.

I watched some clips...some good and some bad. Without being consistent, can we really say he's reliable? Or scream it even?

I like the idea of being able to run a no-huddle with the TE's able to go from blocking for the run game and then splitting out for some pass plays. Especially if they're on the field with CJ who catches the ball so well out of the back field. 

Thoughts?

playing with kerley, decker, CJ, amaro, and cumberland gives them the most flexibility they've had in years and could actually create some mismatches as opposed to run,run,pass, punt.   maybe MM incorporates more of the air-raid offense this year?  

playing with kerley, decker, CJ, amaro, and cumberland gives them the most flexibility they've had in years and could actually create some mismatches as opposed to run,run,pass, punt.   maybe MM incorporates more of the air-raid offense this year?  

Exactly what I was thinking.  We shouldn't need the TE's to be dominant blockers, but just good enough to keep defenses honest.

Exactly what I was thinking. We shouldn't need the TE's to be dominant blockers, but just good enough to keep defenses honest.

I still think there's a solid need for the solid blocking tight end in our system. You can't run too much play action without selling the run.

I still think there's a solid need for the solid blocking tight end in our system. You can't run too much play action without selling the run.

Agreed, and hopefully given his size, Amaro can become that for this offense and be a great all-around TE.

It would do wonders for MM and the offense.  The thought of having two guys on the field who aren't a complete liability in the run game, while being legit threats getting moved all around the field could create some nice mismatches.  Basically, the Jets have two WR's playing the TE positing with Cumberland playing WR in college, and Amaro who took more snaps as a WR than TE.  I agree 100% with what was said in the #2 WR thread.  It almost doesn't matter who the no. 2 WR is because if Amaro and Cumberland are used the right way, Geno should have several targets to choose from. 

Thoughts?

Looking at Amaro in camp the other day, I no doubt how much he will be expected to block.  He just isn't built for it.  The guy cuts on a dime and runs like a wide receiver.  I think they will want him to do what he did in college as much as possible.

Cumberland though, he needs to become a true tight end.  He seemed to have a nice connection with Geno last year.  And he has the size to help control the line of scrimmage.  Would be great if Cumberland freed Amaro up to just be a pass catching tight end.

Archived