Le Sean McCoy - Miscalculation or Miscreant?

Il Mostro

What's the point of putting $.20? If you didn't like the service and felt they didn't deserve a tip you just write $0. I mean I was a server, so I always tip well because I know the job sucks, but tipping less than 10% on anything is really hard unless the service was completely unacceptable. I just feel like putting $.20 was a slap in the face more than anything else.

That looks like a miscalculation.  

An an example of a miscreant, would be when Shane Matthews, ex-Florida Gator/NFL QB, once flipped me a quarter in college when I was bartending on a $75 bar tab after bragging about how he got signed with some team mid-season that made him eligible for NFL retirement.  It was game day, the bar was packed and this ****er had me pouring dirty Martini's for his chick and he flipped a ******* quarter.

**** YOU SHANE MATTHEWS.  **** YOU

An an example of a miscreant, would be when Shane Matthews, ex-Florida Gator/NFL QB, once flipped me a quarter in college when I bartending on a $75 bar tab after bragging about how he got signed with some team mid-season that made him eligible for NFL retirement.  It was game day, the bar was packed and this ****er had me pouring dirty Martini's for his chick and he flipped a ******* quarter.

I still can't believe bubblegum machines only take quarters now. Insanity.

I still can't believe bubblegum machines only take quarters now. Insanity.

That's too funny.  We had one of those like 4 foot tall ones, where the gumball went down a spiral till it got to the little doggy door thingy.  I'm pretty sure I threw his quarter behind the bar somewhere and cursed at him under my breath but in retrospect, I could have got something out of that coin.

DCL - FTW

Cold, how do you tip a quarter? Gaytor Scumbags.

When the creep bartender keeps interrupting you and your girl to remind you of every TD pass you threw against Tennessee-Chattanooga, and how that TD "probably got you so laid, bro," ten years earlier, the tip tends to decrease.

An an example of a miscreant, would be when Shane Matthews, ex-Florida Gator/NFL QB, once flipped me a quarter in college when I was bartending on a $75 bar tab after bragging about how he got signed with some team mid-season that made him eligible for NFL retirement.  It was game day, the bar was packed and this ****er had me pouring dirty Martini's for his chick and he flipped a ******* quarter.

**** YOU BILLY JOEL. **** YOU.

When the creep bartender keeps interrupting you and your girl to remind you of every TD pass you threw against Tennessee-Chattanooga, and how that TD "probably got you so laid, bro," ten years earlier, the tip tends to decrease.

Yeah, you're probably right. God forbid if it was a Tebow.

That's too funny. We had one of those like 4 foot tall ones, where the gumball went down a spiral till it got to the little doggy door thingy. I'm pretty sure I threw his quarter behind the bar somewhere and cursed at him under my breath but in retrospect, I could have got something out of that coin.

DCL - FTW

Or you could have got that gum ball gave it to a pudgy princess and parlayed it into a BIG score.

tip 20 cents cheap fu$% there is a reason why the fans are so violent the players do not tip

Ehh, turns out Shady is actually a great tipper and wanted to make a point about the service there, which has since been corroborated by half of Philly. Lots of servers have stepped up to say he's a great tipper.

I waited and tended all through college and as such always tip well, but I've seen servers who were complete dicks who deserved nothing. Seems like the kid got what he deserved.

Ehh, turns out Shady is actually a great tipper and wanted to make a point about the service there, which has since been corroborated by half of Philly. Lots of servers have stepped up to say he's a great tipper.

I waited and tended all through college and as such always tip well, but I've seen servers who were complete dicks who deserved nothing. Seems like the kid got what he deserved.

Just curious, do you tip well for bad service?

Also, what is your view on tipping when it comes to having a very expensive bottle of wine with dinner? It's the same amount of work as any bottle of wine. As an example, should a customer give the waiter a $20 tip for bringing a $100 bottle of wine?

Who the f*ck goes to a specialty burger store and orders their burger f*cking well-done? That's the biggest travesty on that entire list. What a damned waste.

I chuckled.  So true.

Still bullsh*t.  You're a millionaire who plays a game for living and this dude works off tips serving a bunch sh*tbags who live in Philly.  Making a statement?  If the service is so bad, the proper statement would be not to go.  The jerk went to a restaurant known for bad service and got bad service...go figure.  

I'm officially a Shady McCoy hater.  **** that dude.  

Unless the server is outright rude I'm tipping 20% minimum. Generally tip more though...especially with bar tabs.

However hotel people who hover around non stop in the lobby and rush to open my car door aren't getting anything. I hate that sh*t.

This.  But I tended bar for almost 7 years so it might be different for those who've spent time in the service industry.  I'll drop it down to 15% if the its worthy but thats rare.  

LOL at Waiters and Waitresses that think that tips should be included no matter the service. If he got crappy service then he tipped 20 cents too much imo. Good for Mccoy

On a recent trip to Orlando, I went to a Golden Corral there and the server was inattentive, basically ignoring us.  Most of the time she was SEATING DOWN talking to some retire New Yorkers couple seating in front of us.   This server never came into our table for anything until the very end when we were about to leave.  I said to myself, well this person does not need my money, so I left the place without tipping.  I consider myself a good tipper, I normally tip 15-20%. 

I work in the service industry in Brooklyn, 7 years now. I manage and bartend. 

Calling people out for crappy tips is totally acceptable. You want to know if you did a bad job (honestly) or if the guy is just an a$$hole. 

And no, tips should never be expected, and a good owner/manager should see this kind of stuff and get rid of said server. However, if you don't want to tip then we can just pay servers and bartenders $10-$12 bucks/hr and see what happens to menu pricing. For starters you can say goodbye to any form of Happy Hour. 

And Europeans are full of sh*t BTW. They know the deal, they just play dumb. The Brits are ok actually.  Although I have had Europeans ask me what they're supposed to do. I tell them (this is in a bar) that a buck a drink is customary but you leave whatever you feel is appropriate. 

All of that said, most people are decent tippers. 

I chuckled.  So true.

Still bullsh*t.  You're a millionaire who plays a game for living and this dude works off tips serving a bunch sh*tbags who live in Philly.  Making a statement?  If the service is so bad, the proper statement would be not to go.  The jerk went to a restaurant known for bad service and got bad service...go figure.  

I'm officially a Shady McCoy hater.  **** that dude.  

I get it, it's bush-league and I normally would dislike him for that, but if he's well known for being a good tipper throughout philly, it's possible this kid was just that much  of a douche-bag of a server.  If it were me, I still would have tossed down 15%, that's probably as low as I would ever go.

Still can't get over people ordering steak or a good piece of meat well-done, it just drives me nuts.  I was at Peter Luger's for dinner once and overheard a guy next to me order his ribeye well-done, the entire place just kind of went silent for a bit, the server looked like he was in shock. Pretty funny actually.

Just curious, do you tip well for bad service?

Also, what is your view on tipping when it comes to having a very expensive bottle of wine with dinner? It's the same amount of work as any bottle of wine. As an example, should a customer give the waiter a $20 tip for bringing a $100 bottle of wine?

I do tip well for bad service, but it's hard to say as I can honestly only remember one time in my life where I had noticeably bad service. My two buddies are highly allergic to nuts and after specifically asking if a dish had nuts in it, their meal came with nuts visibly crumbled on top. This was after we waited 20 minutes to even have our drink order taken, when we saw the waitress behind the counter just on her phone.  My friends were cool about it, they just sent the food back and ordered something different. Not a big deal, anyone can have a bad day. The only way we showed how it was bad service was we go out drinks at the bar and came back to our table, which annoys the hell out of any server because it's no longer on their tab.  Still think she got 15% that day as well.  

All in all, I never really tip poorly for bad service, but I definitely will tip very well if it's good service.  

Archived