AP Source: Law enforcement official sent copy of Ray Rice tape to NFL executive in April

JoeC36

WHile I tend to agree, how could a guy that is smart F up so bad if these reports are true.

While I believe he is safe and might not even be culpable in this video thing, the owners might make him fall on the sword (withh a retirement package) for the sake of the league.

Good point PFSIKH, I didn't think about that possibility.

Bottom line, there will be a fall guy in all of this.

You're scenario makes a lot of sense.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's incredibly naive to think this is the first time he hit that girl

I felt 100% the same exact way until I saw a quote from one of the security guys from the hotel who responded.  He said that when she re-gained consciousness, they couldn't see how bad her face was because her hair was covering her face, but he heard her say "how could you do this to me?  I'm the mother of your daughter" or something along those lines.  If that was her reaction upon waking up, it sounds like she was surprised for him to have hit her.  If it was a regular thing, no need to be surprised.  Tired of hearing about it already.

I felt 100% the same exact way until I saw a quote from one of the security guys from the hotel who responded. He said that when she re-gained consciousness, they couldn't see how bad her face was because her hair was covering her face, but he heard her say "how could you do this to me? I'm the mother of your daughter" or something along those lines. If that was her reaction upon waking up, it sounds like she was surprised for him to have hit her. If it was a regular thing, no need to be surprised. Tired of hearing about it already.

Once is enough...? If a dog bites once do we brush it off? Did you ever know anyone who got a Mulligan for delivering a shot square to a woman's jaw?

Once is enough...? If a dog bites once do we brush it off? Did you ever know anyone who got a Mulligan for delivering a shot square to a woman's jaw?

Not sure why you're quoting me, yet  your reply has  nothing to do with what I said.  I didn't dismiss the fact that this may have been the first time he did it, and that I'm tired of hearing about it already.  Did you mean to quote me?  Looks like you're replying to sombody who said something about once being enough?

Not sure why you're quoting me, yet your reply has nothing to do with what I said. I didn't dismiss the fact that this may have been the first time he did it, and that I'm tired of hearing about it already. Did you mean to quote me? Looks like you're replying to sombody who said something about once being enough?

You said "it sounds like it's the first time he hit her, I'm sick of hearing about it"- I'm not trying to get holier than thou or imply that you condone this, but does it matter if it was or wasn't the first time? I don't get what your saying.

You said "it sounds like it's the first time he hit her, I'm sick of hearing about it"- I'm not trying to get holier than thou or imply that you condone this, but does it matter if it was or wasn't the first time? I don't get what your saying.

My original comment was a response to somebody who was suggesting it wasn't the first time.  I acknowledged the fact that I felt the same exact way until yesterday when a witness implied that she was surprised to have been struck.  If she was surprised, then I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that it was the first time.  It doesn't make it right, but it does change the dynamic.  If he's regularly beating his wife, she should probably leave unless she wants to end up dead.  If it was a one time thing where heavy alcohol was involved, and she believes they can work past it and have a happy life together, then I can't really condemn them for trying based on the fact that it is not a regularly occuring thing.  The reason I'm tired of hearing about it is becuase so many people are up on their soap boxes acting like this is the worst thing on the planet right now.  As unfortunate as this incident was, there are a million other stories that are more horiffic than this one, but as somebody mentioned earlier, this one gives people a chance you announce their moral superiority to the world.  If you're really that outraged by this (and I don't mean you specifically), then find a more worthy cause that you can actually direct that anger towards and make a difference.  How many people who are sooooo outraged right now, are going to volunteer at a battered women's shelter this weekend?  Or will t hey be too busy watching real housewives of wherever?  That's what I'm tired of.

The product makes the money not Goodell

Goodell is the one negotiating the $ with the networks, and then the split of that money with the players.

Goodell makes the owners a lot more than they'd have had with a commissioner who was just going through the motions.

That being said, I haven't found anyone yet that is saddened by Goodell's suddenly-shaky job security.

Goodell is the one negotiating the $ with the networks, and then the split of that money with the players.

Goodell makes the owners a lot more than they'd have had with a commissioner who was just going through the motions.

That being said, I haven't found anyone yet that is saddened by Goodell's suddenly-shaky job security.

Actually, it's a negotiating team made up of owners who negotiates with the networks. 

Actually, it's a negotiating team made up of owners who negotiates with the networks.

No Goodell in the room? Either way I'm pretty sure he's the one the NFLPA commissioner principally goes toe to toe with when it's CBA time.

Bah! The owners all answer to Roger. He's the boss of the bosses. Are you blind? Don't be so naive. Wake up and smell the coffee. Get your head out of the sand.

No Goodell in the room? Either way I'm pretty sure he's the one the NFLPA commissioner principally goes toe to toe with when it's CBA time.

Bah! The owners all answer to Roger. He's the boss of the bosses. Are you blind? Don't be so naive. Wake up and smell the coffee. Get your head out of the sand.

The owners are very much involved in the negotiations with the union as well. After all, its their money being discussed. After the last CBA I remember both sides slobbering all over Kraft's knob for the role he played in the negotiations. Exactly no one was praising Goodell. 

Goodell works for the owners. He doesn't have absolute power. His main job is to protect the Shield. 

If I were to guess id say it was simply because Goodell liked Rice and his family a lot.

I don't know. I do think he believed this would be swept under the rug, and 9 times out of 10 he'd be right.

Ironically, what made this SUCH a high-profile incident/suspension wasn't Rice hitting her. It was Josh Gordon getting suspended for the year, after Rice only got 2 games, that stopped this from just going away.

Goodell works for the owners, not the other way around. 

Then again, I have a feeling my sarc meter is down today. 

The owners are very much involved in the negotiations with the union as well. After all, its their money being discussed. After the last CBA I remember both sides slobbering all over Kraft's knob for the role he played in the negotiations. Exactly no one was praising Goodell. 

Goodell works for the owners. He doesn't have absolute power. His main job is to protect the Shield.

Kraft certainly talks to the papers a lot. Doesn't mean he's the lead negotiator.

Even the owners need someone to play "bad cop" so they can look like the good guys.

If the owners didn't think they were indebted to Goodell they would have fired him already and instead would have hired someone for $40M less per year.

I don't know. I do think he believed this would be swept under the rug, and 9 times out of 10 he'd be right.

Ironically, what made this SUCH a high-profile incident/suspension wasn't Rice hitting her. It was Josh Gordon getting suspended for the year, after Rice only got 2 games, that stopped this from just going away.

Definitely contributed. Irsay too. I could be off but I do think Goodells personal relationship with Rice clouded his judgement badly on this one. If this were Pac Man on film he would have been banned the day after.

Overall the general perception of Goodell up until this point was that he was too harsh with punishing players- even the non drug related crimes.

Definitely contributed. Irsay too. I could be off but I do think Goodella personal relationship with Rice clouded his judgement badly on this one. If this were Pac Man on film he would have been banned the day after.

Overall the general perception if Goodell up until this point was that he was too harsh in terms of punishment.

Well Pac Man would have been banned right away because it wouldn't have been his first offense. In reality, Goodell was not in a great situation (not that I care). It was Rice's first offense. It was Gordon's 3rd. There is a CBA in effect that he must at least loosely adhere to.

Problem is there wasn't anything in the CBA specifying this particular offense as being worse than others, whereby a 1st offense wouldn't/couldn't result in a 4, 8, or 16 game ban. Had he done that, there would have been plenty of negative press.

Then after that, Gordon has his 3rd offense. He's already had his 2-game ban. Goodell no doubt told him the next time he's getting a whole year ban. Then he does it again. The only thing Goodell could have done - to save himself - was to give Gordon another 2-game ban with yet another warning. Also would have been good for the league because a country full of people want to see Manziel do well and Gordon would certainly help further that cause.

Kraft certainly talks to the papers a lot. Doesn't mean he's the lead negotiator.

Even the owners need someone to play "bad cop" so they can look like the good guys.

If the owners didn't think they were indebted to Goodell they would have fired him already and instead would have hired someone for $40M less per year.

Meh... they need to protect the Shield more than anyone. The first step in an executive's demise is usually the dreaded "vote of confidence." 

Meh... they need to protect the Shield more than anyone. The first step in an executive's demise is usually the dreaded "vote of confidence."

Saw online (which makes it true) that he made $44.2M last year. If they didn't think he was worth at least that much to them, they wouldn't pay him that much.

The dollars suggest the owners believe he makes them a lot more than they'd otherwise have. Vote of confidence is just words. Money shows their true confidence, and frankly it shows he's making them a f*ckload more.

Well Pac Man would have been banned right away because it wouldn't have been his first offense. In reality, Goodell was not in a great situation (not that I care). It was Rice's first offense. It was Gordon's 3rd. There is a CBA in effect that he must at least loosely adhere to.

Problem is there wasn't anything in the CBA specifying this particular offense as being worse than others, whereby a 1st offense wouldn't/couldn't result in a 4, 8, or 16 game ban. Had he done that, there would have been plenty of negative press.

Then after that, Gordon has his 3rd offense. He's already had his 2-game ban. Goodell no doubt told him the next time he's getting a whole year ban. Then he does it again. The only thing Goodell could have done - to save himself - was to give Gordon another 2-game ban with yet another warning. Also would have been good for the league because a country full of people want to see Manziel do well and Gordon would certainly help further that cause.

Word. Pac Man was probably a poor example. But someone who had a poor reputation around the league- doubtful Goodell would have hesitated laying down the hammer if he were caught on camera slugging a woman. Rice had done a ton for the league and the area Goodell resides in...think it's safe to assume it contributed to the light punishment. He botched it.

Saw online (which makes it true) that he made $44.2M last year. If they didn't think he was worth at least that much to them, they wouldn't pay him that much.

The dollars suggest the owners believe he makes them a lot more than they'd otherwise have. Vote of confidence is just words. Money shows their true confidence, and frankly it shows he's making them a f*ckload more.

Well I read online (which also makes it true) that that incompetent ginger boob made $70 million last year, his bonus was $40 million. 

If they can get Condi Rice to accept $25 million, the Ginger Hammer will be shown the door tomorrow. 

I don't know. I do think he believed this would be swept under the rug, and 9 times out of 10 he'd be right.Ironically, what made this SUCH a high-profile incident/suspension wasn't Rice hitting her. It was Josh Gordon getting suspended for the year, after Rice only got 2 games, that stopped this from just going away.

I think this has been building. The one year ban for Sean Payton over things said about potential bounty hunting! without any clear evidence on the field that any real bounty hunting took place, irked a lot of people. That's a one year ban, cheating in the Super Bowl doesn't warrant a game off. The inconsistency is troublesome. Smoking a joint is an immediate four game suspension, knocking a chick out cold is two games. That's idiotic, and in no way, shape, or form aligned with the times. Marijuana is on it's way to being legalized, can't really see the same thing happening with domestic violence.

The Josh Gordon thing was also BS, as much as I don't mind Pettine and Johnny hamstrung this year. They knew a one year ban was coming, and could've issued it before the draft. That would've given Cleveland a chance to do something in the draft, and would've reinstated Gordon one year from May rather than one year from the last preseason game next season.

It's the fact that he seems to arbitrarily come to random, often unfair, punishments that makes him look bad. And he is bad, so screw him. It's looking more and more like he's gonna be the fall guy for this episode, and he should be.

I think this has been building. The one year ban for Sean Payton over things said about potential bounty hunting! without any clear evidence on the field that any real bounty hunting took place, irked a lot of people. That's a one year ban, cheating in the Super Bowl doesn't warrant a game off. The inconsistency is troublesome. Smoking a joint is an immediate four game suspension, knocking a chick out cold is two games. That's idiotic, and in no way, shape, or form aligned with the times. Marijuana is on it's way to being legalized, can't really see the same thing happening with domestic violence.

The Josh Gordon thing was also BS, as much as I don't mind Pettine and Johnny hamstrung this year. They knew a one year ban was coming, and could've issued it before the draft. That would've given Cleveland a chance to do something in the draft, and would've reinstated Gordon one year from May rather than one year from the last preseason game next season.

It's the fact that he seems to arbitrarily come to random, often unfair, punishments that makes him look bad. And he is bad, so screw him. It's looking more and more like he's gonna be the fall guy for this episode, and he should be.

Not to mention that exactly no one was clamoring for him to make himself the arbiter of justice for the league but he just bestowed that mantle upon himself. Then he goes on to do an completely awful job of it. 

To give an example at just how inept Goodell has been let's look at the part of the Ray Rice punishment that is being overshadowed by the tape scandal - he issues Rice a 2-game suspension, everyone goes nuts so he establishes a new "domestic violence policy" that calls for a 6-game suspension for a first offense followed by a lifetime ban for a second, the tape from the elevator gets released, Goodell changes Rice's suspension from 2 games to indefinite ignoring the policy he just announced 10 days earlier. 

The man is a walking cluster****. 

Yep.  It's no coincidence that they're working with the NFLPA on a new drug policy days after signing off on a new Domestic Violence policy.  It doesn't matter that it was Josh Gordon's 3rd offense, the public sees the NFL as taking a bigger stand against weed (which the general public has softened on over time, considering its much less dangerous than alcohol) than beating a woman. 

everybody knew he knocked her out in the elevator before dragging her out of the elevator.  why cover it up ?

dummy

How exactly did they think she wound up unconscious on the floor? The police report states exactly what was on the video. The new DV protocol is 6 games, so suspending him "indefinitely" is worse than that. Is the standard thrown out the window if the video is especially shocking? WHat convicted abuser Panther Chris Hardy did was as bad if not worse, but there is no video and he's playing Sunday.

My original comment was a response to somebody who was suggesting it wasn't the first time. I acknowledged the fact that I felt the same exact way until yesterday when a witness implied that she was surprised to have been struck. If she was surprised, then I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that it was the first time. It doesn't make it right, but it does change the dynamic. If he's regularly beating his wife, she should probably leave unless she wants to end up dead. If it was a one time thing where heavy alcohol was involved, and she believes they can work past it and have a happy life together, then I can't really condemn them for trying based on the fact that it is not a regularly occuring thing. The reason I'm tired of hearing about it is becuase so many people are up on their soap boxes acting like this is the worst thing on the planet right now. As unfortunate as this incident was, there are a million other stories that are more horiffic than this one, but as somebody mentioned earlier, this one gives people a chance you announce their moral superiority to the world. If you're really that outraged by this (and I don't mean you specifically), then find a more worthy cause that you can actually direct that anger towards and make a difference. How many people who are sooooo outraged right now, are going to volunteer at a battered women's shelter this weekend? Or will t hey be too busy watching real housewives of wherever? That's what I'm tired of.

I agree- it brings out the opportunists.

Archived