Rex Thinks Refs Protected Roethlisberger More Than Vick

flgreen

Rex thinks refs protected Roethlisberger more than Vick

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 10, 2014, 10:46 AM EST

Jets coach Rex Ryan thinks the officials were more protective of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger than Jets quarterback Michael Vick on Sunday.

Ryan, who picked up an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for yelling at the officials during Sunday’s win, confirmed after the game that a hit on Vick drew his ire. The Jets were penalized twice for hitting Roethlisberger (once on Jason Babin and once on Quinton Coples), and Ryan said he thought the officials should have called penalties on the Steelers (who didn’t have any personal foul penalties) for hitting Vick as well.

“I got a little upset,” Ryan said. “In this league, they put a huge emphasis on protecting the quarterback and all players, as they should. I’m not so sure our quarterback was protected the same as the other quarterback today.”

Officiating issues aside, Ryan’s team played its best game of the season on Sunday. It’s too late for the Jets to make a playoff run, but it might not be too late to save Ryan’s job. And as he fights for his job, Ryan wants to make sure his team isn’t getting jobbed.

Rex thinks refs protected Roethlisberger more than Vick

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 10, 2014, 10:46 AM EST

Jets coach Rex Ryan thinks the officials were more protective of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger than Jets quarterback Michael Vick on Sunday.

Ryan, who picked up an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for yelling at the officials during Sunday’s win, confirmed after the game that a hit on Vick drew his ire. The Jets were penalized twice for hitting Roethlisberger (once on Jason Babin and once on Quinton Coples), and Ryan said he thought the officials should have called penalties on the Steelers (who didn’t have any personal foul penalties) for hitting Vick as well.

“I got a little upset,” Ryan said. “In this league, they put a huge emphasis on protecting the quarterback and all players, as they should. I’m not so sure our quarterback was protected the same as the other quarterback today.”

Officiating issues aside, Ryan’s team played its best game of the season on Sunday. It’s too late for the Jets to make a playoff run, but it might not be too late to save Ryan’s job. And as he fights for his job, Ryan wants to make sure his team isn’t getting jobbed.

The master motivator couldn't inspire his team to make the playoffs, but he found a way to inspire them to save his job?

Remember when I said Rex's greatest talent is his knack for self-preservation? Yeah, that.

The master motivator couldn't inspire his team to make the playoffs, but he found a way to inspire them to save his job?

Remember when I said Rex's greatest talent is his knack for self-preservation? Yeah, that.

Meh, this is NY we're talking about.  Everyone will cream themselves for another day or two about this game, then completely forget about the Jets during the bye-week, then the Jets will have their annual post-bye no-show and everyone will be ready to lynch both Rex and Idzik again.

What Rex fails to realize is that Quarterbacks in the pocket are afforded different luxuries thatn quarterbacks qwho are out of the pocket acting as runners.

The rules are very clear on this.

Rex should understand this.

He should but he doesnt--Thats offense right?

Its funny becaue if you are an expert on heads you figure you would know a thing or two about tails just from being around coins so much.

he's right. the Steelers tackled Vick out of bounds right in front of me. ref was STARING at it. no call. it was pathetic.

Same play that vick fumbled ball in bounds before going out that was an obvious steeler recovery and the refs jobbed pittsburgh and gifted it to jets?

Everyone always remembers the red lights and never the green

They did, just like they always do.

When you blame external sources you dont fix whats rotten within. Nobody to blame for this season but the jets

Same play that vick fumbled ball in bounds before going out that was an obvious steeler recovery and the refs jobbed pittsburgh and gifted it to jets?

Everyone always remembers the red lights and never the green

When you blame external sources you dont fix whats rotten within. Nobody to blame for this season but the jets

no, not then. in the third quarter on a drive at the 20.

it's like you can't somehow understand that the Jets can be at fault for their own season and refs can make/not make bad calls. both those things can be true.

Please show me exactly where I blamed this season on the fact that the refs do protect more established QBs more than Jets QBs

he's stupid or pretending to be. the Jets having a bad season on their own merit and the refs being bad at their jobs cannot possibly be true at the same time.

Meh, this is NY we're talking about.  Everyone will cream themselves for another day or two about this game, then completely forget about the Jets during the bye-week, then the Jets will have their annual post-bye no-show and everyone will be ready to lynch both Rex and Idzik again.

yea good point BG, now if there is still any money left on the Rick Springfield's look-alike debit card THIS would be the game to drop a fifty on  

he's stupid or pretending to be. the Jets having a bad season on their own merit and the refs being bad at their jobs cannot possibly be true at the same time.

Not only that, one call going our way doesn't make up for an entire season of bad calls.

What Rex fails to realize is that Quarterbacks in the pocket are afforded different luxuries thatn quarterbacks qwho are out of the pocket acting as runners.

The rules are very clear on this.

Rex should understand this.

Not even that though. There was one play, for example, where a Steeler took Vick down in the pocket 3 seconds after the play ended. Ref was right there, no flag.

Not only that, one call going our way doesn't make up for an entire season of bad calls.

yep. bad officiating is happening everywhere in general, but I feel like I watch(ed) Sanchez, Smith, and now Vick take shots that Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, etc...never have to take without at least getting a call.

the only game I felt the Jets lost due to calls was Green Bay. it was atrocious like nothing I've ever seen. all the other losses are well deserved on the Jets' part (even with bad calls).

What better way to "self-preserve" your job than by reaching the playoffs? With our depleted secondary, we were within striking distance of defeating two of the NFLs elite team, the Pats n the Broncos. Not to mention the depleted receiving corp.

What better way to "self-preserve" your job than by reaching the playoffs? With our depleted secondary, we were within striking distance of defeating two of the NFLs elite team, the Pats n the Broncos. Not to mention the depleted receiving corp.

So, the narrative has been updated from "back-to-back AFFC games" to "within striking distance".

Got it.

Eeking out meaningless wins to end the season on a high note is self-preservation. Not being able to instill urgency and the need to win from game 1, only to find a way to dig deep when the coach's ass is on the line is inexcusable. For everyone in this organization, players, execs and coaches alike. 

yep. bad officiating is happening everywhere in general, but I feel like I watch(ed) Sanchez, Smith, and now Vick take shots that Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, etc...never have to take without at least getting a call.

the only game I felt the Jets lost due to calls was Green Bay. it was atrocious like nothing I've ever seen. all the other losses are well deserved on the Jets' part (even with bad calls).

Don't forget the fumble TD that wasn't against Chicago

So, the narrative has been updated from "back-to-back AFFC games" to "within striking distance".

Got it.

Eeking out meaningless wins to end the season on a high note is self-preservation. Not being able to instill urgency and the need to win from game 1, only to find a way to dig deep when the coach's ass is on the line is inexcusable. For everyone in this organization, players, execs and coaches alike. 

U r right. There should be a new rule, if you are eliminated from the playoffs you shouldn't play any more games that season. Why bother, right?

Sticks and stones can break my bones but turds can never hurt me

please do provide examples shakespere

And deprieve the board of your indignant tantrums? No way

no, not then. in the third quarter on a drive at the 20.

it's like you can't somehow understand that the Jets can be at fault for their own season and refs can make/not make bad calls. both those things can be true.

I think refs are infallible. They cannot possibly make mistakes.

If thats what you have to characterize my position as in order to "win" this "argument," then youve already "lost" and just dont know "it" yet. "Cheers"

";)"

I think refs are infallible. They cannot possibly make mistakes.

If thats what you have to characterize my position as in order to "win" this "argument," then youve already "lost" and just dont know "it" yet. "Cheers"

";)"

so...not pretending to be stupid, then?

And deprieve the board of your indignant tantrums? No way

Indignant? Tantrums is a fair word, but when have I ever 'protested' anything on this site? I think you might be thinking of another poster. I've never gone out of my way to protest something or complain about something being unfair. By saying the NFL protects big name QBs is a statement of fact. It's not complaining. You, I, and everyone in their right mind know 7 of 10 roughing the passers are going in Brady's direction when we play them. 

Archived