Kipers latest top ten college players

faba

I "hate" him because I recognize that he sucks and will set my team back a minimum of 3 years if we're stupid enough to draft him. Taking a guy top 5 who is as certain to bust as any QB prospect in history is the dumbest move we can possibly make. A franchise crippling move. Like drafting Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell.

And I never suggested cutting Brick - I suggested either moving him to RT and starting Peat at LT, or starting Peat at RT and eventually moving him to LT after we move on from Brick in another season or 2.

And LOL @ Winston not making it to 5…at the rate he's going, it's far likelier he drops to the 2nd a la Geno than goes top 5. If you seriously want to put $ in escrow and bet on whether he'll go top 5, I'll take that bet (although as dumb as the Jets are when it comes to the draft, I fear they could be the team that reaches on a guy guaranteed to bust and lose me that bet). But I'll bet that no team other than the Jets is dumb enough to take him in the top 5.

Before you bet I just found your wallet

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I "hate" him because I recognize that he sucks and will set my team back a minimum of 3 years if we're stupid enough to draft him. Taking a guy top 5 who is as certain to bust as any QB prospect in history is the dumbest move we can possibly make. A franchise crippling move. Like drafting Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell.

And LOL @ Winston not making it to 5…at the rate he's going, it's far likelier he drops to the 2nd a la Geno than goes top 5. If you seriously want to put $ in escrow and bet on whether he'll go top 5, I'll take that bet (although as dumb as the Jets are when it comes to the draft, I fear they could be the team that reaches on a guy guaranteed to bust and lose me that bet). But I'll bet that no team other than the Jets is dumb enough to take him in the top 5.

Picking Winston doesn't set a 2-10 franchise back any further. They are set the f back already. What's the downside, 0-16? How can it be worse? There's no way he's worse than Geno that's for damn sure. 

That whole paragraph about moving Brick to RT or whatever is word salad and it's never going to happen. Not even if they fire everyone. Breno is still on the books. 

As for the bet I am not sure about escrow or whatever I would need a third party to officiate and organize. But yeah I believe in that statement. BTW you said he'd go round 2 we should bet on that if you are so confident. 

Personally, I don't see how the Jets can pass on this player. He's a blue chip at a position of dire need. 

Picking Winston doesn't set a 2-10 franchise back any further. They are set the f back already. What's the downside, 0-16? How can it be worse? There's no way he's worse than Geno that's for damn sure. 

That whole paragraph about moving Brick to RT or whatever is word salad and it's never going to happen. Not even if they fire everyone. Breno is still on the books. 

As for the bet I am not sure about escrow or whatever I would need a third party to officiate and organize. But yeah I believe in that statement. BTW you said he'd go round 2 we should bet on that if you are so confident. 

Personally, I don't see how the Jets can pass on this player. He's a blue chip at a position of dire need. 

Yes, he is (which is no endorsement of Geno). He's just that terrible. Watch him - his slow, elongated throwing motion, which NFL CBs will salivate watching; his horrible footwork; his poor decision making and inability to make reads and go through progressions; his penchant for throwing interceptions against terrible college secondaries. There is nothing whatsoever about this guy that says "top 5 pick."

You take a QB that high, even with the new rookie salary structure, and you're committing to him for 3 years minimum, regardless of how bad he is (see Gabbert, Blaine).

Peat has the upside to be a top LT in the league. He's a freakish talent and Brick is old and on the decline. It's never a bad idea to pick a franchise LT if you don't have one (and Brick no longer counts).

There's nothing remotely "blue chip" about Winston. He stinks, he just has the benefit of playing on a star-studded team in a weak conference, that manages to win games in spite of the ineptitude at QB. This conversation is laughable, and I pray the Jets have someone in the front office who has some idea of what they're looking at and takes this bum off our draft board entirely.

Except there's nothing remotely "elite" about Jameis Winston. He will be a much worse pro QB than Colt McCoy.

Maybe you can entertain us all again this year with another one of your brilliant draft write-ups?

Winston has all the tools to be a top 10 NFL QB except brains. This guy has had FSU covering his sh*t for years.

I really believe if the Jets draft him it will bring a whole new level to a clown show in NY.

Winston has all the tools to be a top 10 NFL QB except brains. This guy has had FSU covering his sh*t for years.

I really believe if the Jets draft him it will bring a whole new level to a clown show in NY.

no more morons at QB!!

By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com

REX has a hard on for all the DE's on that list. He could have Browning Nagle tatood on his arm BUT he will  lobby to draft another DE in the 1st round

You take a QB that high, even with the new rookie salary structure, and you're committing to him for 3 years minimum, regardless of how bad he is (see Gabbert, Blaine).

so just to be clear, your plan is to punt on QB for 2015 and hope the Jets lose enough games to get a shot at another, hopefully perfect QB in 2016. 

I can't watch another Kotite-level season. I just can't. 

as for your statement that Winston is worse than Geno Smith? Wow. You must really hate this guy. 

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/ACC-Announces-Honor-Roll-For-2013-2014-Academic-Year_08-07-14_k73bk7

didn't know that but i wasn't talking book smarts was talking about not being a moron. i am surprised he is on the academic honor roll but i doubt he's a physics major!

seriously though he is a risk, at what point does he become worth that risk? no way he slides to 2nd round. geno smith was horrid his final year in college and he got picked top of the 2nd. he is going to be a first rounder. top 5? i'm not sure.

seriously though he is a risk, at what point does he become worth that risk? no way he slides to 2nd round. geno smith was horrid his final year in college and he got picked top of the 2nd. he is going to be a first rounder. top 5? i'm not sure.

if Winston stinks you pick another QB. Have a competition. Pick one every damn year until you find one. the Jets certainly have the cap space to do it. 

for example this year, if they had picked Bridgewater or Manziel, it would at least make the last few games somewhat watchable. Instead of "re-re-re-evaluating" Geno Smith. Or how about Jimmy Gabagool over Jace Amaro.

to be clear, Im not saying Winston is awesome. He's not my binkie.

Im saying take teh damn QB. Whoever it is.  Mariota, Winston, whoever. I don't care.

Pick the list out of a street and smith magazine. It can't be worse than last year's draft. A blind man throwing darts at a magazine could have made better picks.

The draft is not all that cut and dried, that you can say for sure this guy or that guy is definitely going to bust. no one really knows.

One thing I do know, If you don't have a QB you don't have a chance. it doesn't matter how many weaponz or OL you draft the offense will stink until they find a QB.

so just to be clear, your plan is to punt on QB for 2015 and hope the Jets lose enough games to get a shot at another, hopefully perfect QB in 2016. 

I can't watch another Kotite-level season. I just can't. 

as for your statement that Winston is worse than Geno Smith? Wow. You must really hate this guy. 

I'd take Mariota if we're in a position to draft him, or I'd be willing to trade up for him if the price isn't too high (think Sanchez package, as opposed to RG3 package).

Otherwise, I'd rather sign a stop-gap vet (Sanchez - if he'd be willing to come back here, Hoyer, Bradford, etc), draft someone in the mid-rounds, and grab a guy off some team's practice squad (Fales maybe?) and have them all compete in camp.

Pissing away a top 5 pick on Jameis Winston is no different than pissing away a top 5 pick on Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell. That's where you can land a franchise player - you don't throw that away on a guy guaranteed to bust.

That's how it used to be with Sanchez type 50 mil contracts. That's not how it is anymore.  

If the big plan is to keep losing and hoping for a perfect QB to show up, they will never draft a QB. all these guys have flaws.

What's Jameis big flaw yelling memes and stealing? Who cares! Big ben rapes ladies in bathrooms and he's got 2 rings. He doesn't have to marry your daughter he needs to win football games.

The Big Ben comparison has been floating around quite a bit, and not just for character issues.  I'll say with the caveat that I'm not a huge NCAA guy, but I don't like it.  Simply put, Big Ben did what he did at Miami-Ohio while Jameis is doing what he's doing at FSU.  The difference being, take the QB out, and at only one are you left with one of college football's best teams.  I've watched a bunch of Winston's games, not a lot, but a bunch, and I think I'm seeing a guy that's benefiting from the team around him more than he's benefiting the team.  He's not making a ton of difficult throws, good reads, tight windows, etc.  I could be wrong, but I just don't see a pro QB when I watch him.  So, with that, I don't risk a top 5 pick on him when I could take a much more sure thing.

if Winston stinks you pick another QB. Have a competition. Pick one every damn year until you find one. the Jets certainly have the cap space to do it.

for example this year, if they had picked Bridgewater or Manziel, it would at least make the last few games somewhat watchable. Instead of "re-re-re-evaluating" Geno Smith. Or how about Jimmy Gabagool over Jace Amaro.

to be clear, Im not saying Winston is awesome. He's not my binkie.

Im saying take teh damn QB. Whoever it is. Mariota, Winston, whoever. I don't care.

Pick the list out of a street and smith magazine. It can't be worse than last year's draft. A blind man throwing darts at a magazine could have made better picks.

The draft is not all that cut and dried, that you can say for sure this guy or that guy is definitely going to bust. no one really knows.

One thing I do know, If you don't have a QB you don't have a chance. it doesn't matter how many weaponz or OL you draft the offense will stink until they find a QB.

Completely agree we have to pick someone. And draft is absolutely an inexact science. To me, the maybe slightly more informed than average but still casual type of fan, winston has a really high bust factor. But i can also admit that i dont really know. No one does thats right. I would just feel a lot more optimistic with mariota or even cooks than winston personnally. Maybe its eye test, certainly some of it is character, but i totally admit i am not an authority on the subject. Sure i wouldve had a better draft than idzik last year, but thats not saying very much lol.

I'd take Mariota if we're in a position to draft him, or I'd be willing to trade up for him if the price isn't too high (think Sanchez package, as opposed to RG3 package).

Otherwise, I'd rather sign a stop-gap vet (Sanchez - if he'd be willing to come back here, Hoyer, Bradford, etc), draft someone in the mid-rounds, and grab a guy off some team's practice squad (Fales maybe?) and have them all compete in camp.

Pissing away a top 5 pick on Jameis Winston is no different than pissing away a top 5 pick on Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell. That's where you can land a franchise player - you don't throw that away on a guy guaranteed to bust.

Do you know how often people say, pick up a mid-round QB and hope to develop him? Every god damned year. You know how often it actually happens? Almost never.  The league has a hard enough time developing top 10 talent, let alone nobodies who are lucky to be backups.  In today's league, when you don't have a QB you do whatever you can to draft one, it's that simple.  Most of these top QBs and players in general bust out, not because of talent, but because of work ethic and the desire to be great, or the lack there of.  Winston, for all of his flaws, simply has those traits.  Nothing speaks more to me than how minor league baseball coaches were singing the kid's praises at their training camp.  People flock to him, he's a natural leader. I dislike the kid, but you cannot deny his leadership qualities. 

This is how you earn Big Ben comparisons: be big, have some mobility, throw a lot of bad passes, maintain a spotty completion percentage, but win anyway.

Since when is 67% and 65% considered spotty?   I don't remember any pundits or posters on here comparing EJ Manuel or Logan Thomas to Big Ben and they have all the aforementioned qualities you're listing.  Jameis is compared to Big Ben, as I've been doing all year, because his movement in the pocket is remarkably similar and he has an uncanny ability to consistently shake off would-be tacklers and make plays downfield, something very, very few other QBs in college are capable of making. 

Since when is 67% and 65% considered spotty? I don't remember any pundits or posters on here comparing EJ Manuel or Logan Thomas to Big Ben and they have all the aforementioned qualities you're listing. Jameis is compared to Big Ben, as I've been doing all year, because his movement in the pocket is remarkably similar and he has an uncanny ability to consistently shake off would-be tacklers and make plays downfield, something very, very few other QBs in college are capable of making.

You're uncanny.

Since when is 67% and 65% considered spotty?   I don't remember any pundits or posters on here comparing EJ Manuel or Logan Thomas to Big Ben and they have all the aforementioned qualities you're listing.  Jameis is compared to Big Ben, as I've been doing all year, because his movement in the pocket is remarkably similar and he has an uncanny ability to consistently shake off would-be tacklers and make plays downfield, something very, very few other QBs in college are capable of making. 

It was also tough to tackle Jamarcus

The Big Ben comparison has been floating around quite a bit, and not just for character issues.  I'll say with the caveat that I'm not a huge NCAA guy, but I don't like it.  Simply put, Big Ben did what he did at Miami-Ohio while Jameis is doing what he's doing at FSU.  The difference being, take the QB out, and at only one are you left with one of college football's best teams.  I've watched a bunch of Winston's games, not a lot, but a bunch, and I think I'm seeing a guy that's benefiting from the team around him more than he's benefiting the team.  He's not making a ton of difficult throws, good reads, tight windows, etc.  I could be wrong, but I just don't see a pro QB when I watch him.  So, with that, I don't risk a top 5 pick on him when I could take a much more sure thing.

Your sight is 20/20, but last year was a different story. He really was that good last season. This season he's really fallen off and his team has been there to pick him up every game this season. FSU won against Clemson without Jameis when he was suspended. Says a lot.

Your sight is 20/20, but last year was a different story. He really was that good last season. This season he's really fallen off and his team has been there to pick him up every game this season. FSU won against Clemson without Jameis when he was suspended. Says a lot.

BTW Clemson gave the game away...called Clemsoning

I know it'd be a wildly unpopular pick, but Randy Gregory isn't a bad consolation prize, assuming the next head coach isn't a moron who can't figure out how to play him.

Leonard Williams as well. I think both will be very good players, but considering how putrid the offense is, either would be booed out of RCMH if they're the pick.

Do you know how often people say, pick up a mid-round QB and hope to develop him? Every god damned year. You know how often it actually happens? Almost never.  The league has a hard enough time developing top 10 talent, let alone nobodies who are lucky to be backups.  In today's league, when you don't have a QB you do whatever you can to draft one, it's that simple.  Most of these top QBs and players in general bust out, not because of talent, but because of work ethic and the desire to be great, or the lack there of.  Winston, for all of his flaws, simply has those traits.  Nothing speaks more to me than how minor league baseball coaches were singing the kid's praises at their training camp.  People flock to him, he's a natural leader. I dislike the kid, but you cannot deny his leadership qualities. 

LOL hey look, it's Jameis' biggest fan! I forgot all about you  :) You seem to have made yourself scarce around these parts after last week's 4 INT game ;)

Winston has none of these traits you speak of - he's merely the beneficiary of playing on a stacked team in a weak conference. One team will be dumb enough to draft him and waste 3 years minimum before moving on, and I pray that team isn't the Jets. 

Christian-Bale-Deal-With-It-Reaction-Gif

Winston has none of these traits you speak of - he's merely the beneficiary of playing on a stacked team in a weak conference. One team will be dumb enough to draft him and waste 3 years minimum before moving on, and I pray that team isn't the Jets. 

I will say this much, from a pure legacy perspective the Florida State draft history is putrid at QB.

the best one, ever, played point guard for the New York Knicks. 

EJ Manuel QB Buffalo Bills
Christian Ponder QB Minnesota Vikings
Adrian McPherson QB New Orleans Saints
Chris Weinke QB Carolina Panthers
Danny Kanell QB New York Giants
Casey Weldon QB Philadelphia Eagles
Brad Johnson QB Minnesota Vikings

I am not here claiming that Winston is amazing. He's probably not the answer, if we are being completely honest.

But he's a QB and the Jets need that. Not in 2016. Or in the 6th round. Or when the moon comes over the mountain. 

Draft A QB every year, in the top 100 picks, until you find that guy. Make them compete. Don't make me watch Geno Smith again. I can't do it.

Leonard Williams as well. I think both will be very good players, but considering how putrid the offense is, either would be booed out of RCMH if they're the pick.

LOL hey look, it's Jameis' biggest fan! I forgot all about you :) You seem to have made yourself scarce around these parts after last week's 4 INT game ;)

Christian-Bale-Deal-With-It-Reaction-Gif

Yea, I avoid a Jets site because of a player on FSU, whom I don't even like, is playing poorly :/ orrr I'm just too busy to waste my time listening to the same people bitch about the same things for months.

What's more likely, you're wrong about a prospect or the jets will draft and develop a starting mid-round QB?? I'm gonna play the odds on this one.

Archived