Is Idzik Done? Idzik has alienated staff, coaches By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Ken Schroy

Idzik's basic philosophy is simple common sense. There's no genius to it. Executing said philosophy, however, takes talent that he doesn't have. Anyone can say, "let's build thru the draft and sign value free agents." It's a whole 'nother thing to accomplish it.

The Jets need a personnel man in charge. Being that the finalist last time around were both cap guys, I hope the Jets reevaluate their search methods before embarking on another search. They were doomed to failure as soon as they settled on Idzik vs. Kahn.

I do not disagree about the common sense part but the NFL is filled with teams that have none at all.  Tanny didn't have it, teams like Washington and oakland never have it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not disagree about the common sense part but the NFL is filled with teams that have none at all.  Tanny didn't have it, teams like Washington and oakland never have it.

Tanny had it.  Then he got desperate.  He got the cap under control had some decent drafts and then he went for it with Favre.  I think he and Rex were kind of handcuffed by the success in '09 and '10.  They had a window, went for it and failed.  I saw his discussing getting the cap under control for 2013 and he certainly had the same general plan as Idzik, but he did not earn the right to execute it. 

I disagree with him having the same plan.  His plan was to trade picks sway, ignore the value of later picks and traet them like garbage.  I don't blame him for going for it with some of his deals but one reason this team is so talent starved is because the utter disdain for the draft tanny had after about round 2.  He left the team with some aging rex favourites, a lousy cap situation and almost no organizaitonal depth.

I really like what Idzik did to help repair some of this, too bad his last draft was an atrocity and his fa signings were for the most part busts.

Choosing between who is more to blame for his Rex or Idzik is like arguing who is a better QB Geno or Vick

the answer is you are both wrong.

This is all Woody's fault. Not Idzik or Rex. Idzik's first assignment was to trade a guy who is going to the Hall of Fame. 

But hey, at least they have cap space.

After these guys leave maybe the billboard crew can get down to the real problem. 

Idz had ample time to put his own people in the scouting staff and that has been abysmal. The guy is in over his head, time to move on

how many in the top scouting department positions are leftovers and how many are Idzick guys?

It needs a complete overhaul, starting with Bradway.

Would love for the Jets to have a good value pick for once. A guy who was supposed to go in the 2nd and fell for some reason and we got in the 4th. We always overdraft by a round or two. A. Allen is the only guy in recent memory who was one of those value picks.

how many in the top scouting department positions are leftovers and how many are Idzick guys?

It needs a complete overhaul, starting with Bradway.

Would love for the Jets to have a good value pick for once. A guy who was supposed to go in the 2nd and fell for some reason and we got in the 4th. We always overdraft by a round or two. A. Allen is the only guy in recent memory who was one of those value picks.

I agree with that.  The entire Front Office needs to take a hike not just Ineptzik.

$40 million in cap room and 12 draft picks and we actually managed to have a less talented roster this year.  We have the worst FO in the league.

I understand the scouting hate, but I'm not so sure that it should fall on those guys.  My understanding is that most of these guys are just report writers.  It's up the higher ups to more heavily study these guys and make a final decision.  They have 4 months to weed through those reports and restudy everybody to make a choice.  Hell last year it was five months.  I don't see the problem with having Bradway there to offer an opinion.  OTOH, I don't want him yielding too much authority or being given too much deference.

• 2 weeks later...

Idzik did some ok things; handled the Revis situation well in my opinion,  brought in the consensus best free agent QB, RB - got an adequate RT cheaper than the last adequate RT

He had some awful luck with the corner spot between losing our top 3 guys which sunk the season (along with QB play - sound familiar?)

QB's don't grow on trees, I didn't see many great options for Idzik, they're tough to find but it's largely how GM's are judged.

However, the inexcusable and fireable offense for John Idzik is the 2013 Draft Class.  You can not whiff on 12 picks when stud playes at positions of need are falling out of the trees in the mid rounds.  You're main job is acquiring talent, the draft is why your job exists and you utterly failed.

Archived