Charley Casserly…Rex’s Savior?

JetNation

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have in the past. 

This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. I'm so tired of this. I'm not an anti-Rex guy, I'm a Jet fan. I'm pro-winning, or anti-losing, so to speak.

What I really am, is so ******* exhausted with watching half of this fanbase clamor for change and improvement and then the first thing out of their ******* mouths is "keep Rex".

When did they quit?  I keep hearing it, but I never remember seeing it.  Holmes acting up in the Dolphins game was one thing, but I don't consider it quitting, particularly since the O line was trying to kick his ass.  Do not see this as an attempt to say Rex should stay, just that they have gotten their asses kicked, but I do not remember them quitting.  

LOL what a joke  :rolleyes: people say worse things to everyone else on a daily basis around here. What I said was as benign as can be in the grand scheme of things.

Do not  single people out and insult them to make your points. Simple yes

First, the QB problem is 100% on Rex. Smith would not have had to play as a rookie if Rex didn't leave Sanchez in a meaningless preseason game.

And, blaming Idzik for the roster when he essentially only had one off-season too build it is crazy.

It's no one's fault Milliner got hurt. And we will never be able to adequately assess this years draft because Rex`s goal was to win as many games as possible in 2014 not build a championship team down the road.

Idzik is not a personnel type of guy so I have to think the issues with our draft are with Graves and Bradway.

Does anyone think it was Idzik`s call to cut Saunders so early or was it the CS? Rex has been sending a statement to Idzik all season by not playing any of the youngsters other than Geno. And e en then, he took the ball out of Geno`s hands that first game back.

What I see is an employee that is disobeying his boss. Rex is trying to force out the "football guy" because he knows the owner likes him and know sh*t about how to properly run a team.

If Rex isn't fired on Monday, thus team isn't doing anything except staying bad.

Vontae Davis was an anomaly?  What about the other 15 top CBs that changed teams and didn't even come in?  I appreciate that he tried to target somebody good, but could he have had a plan B?  Quality personnel men usually do.

Yes, I would say that not getting Vontae Davis was an anomaly. Rex has had a good track record of getting guys he supposedly wanted.

I'm not saying Idzik isn't to blame and Rex is here. Read my post, look at what I've underlined. To assert that ONLY the GM adds players and is culpable for a bad roster is naive, and demonstrates a limited understanding of how sh*t works, quite frankly. I'm not even sure why you are choosing to crater on us not getting a CB this year, it is one example of Idzik ******* up the roster, when there are 6 years worth of examples of Rex doing the same... an especially bad example considering that we did sign one, because Rex wanted one, and the guy didn't work out here. 

Vontae was never coming to the Jets, btw, the dude was saying mid-way through last season he wanted to stay with the Colts. Idzik ****ed up the CB market this year, it doesn't mean Rex hasn't raped the roster for 6 years.

Just wondering....

Could anyone foresee a double demotion?  Both Rex and John kept on, but in lesser roles?  I keep telling myself that would never happen (Rex is too proud to accept that, etc.), but a wise man once said never say never.  Rex as DC and John as a cap guy or an ass't GM?  Don't tell me I'm crazy.

Yes!

They can market it as "and you thought 1 demotion was a bad idea"

When did they quit?  I keep hearing it, but I never remember seeing it.  Holmes acting up in the Dolphins game was one thing, but I don't consider it quitting, particularly since the O line was trying to kick his ass.  Do not see this as an attempt to say Rex should stay, just that they have gotten their asses kicked, but I do not remember them quitting.  

2 years ago. Rex admitted he lost the pulse of the team, so despite what you want to "remember seeing", I'm going to base my comments on what the coach said. It was evident in what he said, and the way the team showed.

In his defense, BadPoster struggles with facts. He often neg rep's them. It's hard for him to make points otherwise.

I'm sorry I feel compelled to expose your attempts to mislead on the Gamble situation, I should just keep my mouth shut and pretend that it was the Jets who turned him down and not the other way around, so as to not rock the boat.

I'm sorry I feel compelled to expose your attempts to mislead on the Gamble situation, I should just keep my mouth shut and pretend that it was the Jets who turned him down and not the other way around, so as to not rock the boat.

As I've said numerous times, provide a link to back up your fantasy of how things went down. You haven't, because you can't. They don't exist. What does exist is a record of when Woody announced Rex would be back with the team in 2013 (12/31/2012), and Gamble turning down the Jags interview to focus on landing the Jets job (01/05/2013).

You're delusional and angry. I'll continue to post links to counter your Tom Gamble Fan Fiction, and you'll continue to not back up a single thing you've claimed and accuse me of lying. Should be fun, until Faba bans you.

As I've said numerous times, provide a link to back up your fantasy of how things went down. You haven't, because you can't. They don't exist. What does exist is a record of when Woody announced Rex would be back with the team in 2013 (12/31/2012), and Gamble turning down the Jags interview to focus on landing the Jets job (01/05/2013).

You're delusional and angry. I'll continue to post links to counter your Tom Gamble Fan Fiction, and you'll continue to not back up a single thing you've claimed and accuse me of lying. Should be fun, until Faba bans you.

LOL you need to have me banned because I won't let your lies go unchecked, how pathetic! (Uh oh, I just called you pathetic - that counts as an insult, doesn't it? Better drop that ban-hammer just to be sure…)

Yes, I would say that not getting Vontae Davis was an anomaly. Rex has had a good track record of getting guys he supposedly wanted.

I'm not saying Idzik isn't to blame and Rex is here. Read my post, look at what I've underlined. To assert that ONLY the GM adds players and is culpable for a bad roster is naive, and demonstrates a limited understanding of how sh*t works, quite frankly. I'm not even sure why you are choosing to crater on us not getting a CB this year, it is one example of Idzik ******* up the roster, when there are 6 years worth of examples of Rex doing the same... an especially bad example considering that we did sign one, because Rex wanted one, and the guy didn't work out here. 

Vontae was never coming to the Jets, btw, the dude was saying mid-way through last season he wanted to stay with the Colts. Idzik ****ed up the CB market this year, it doesn't mean Rex hasn't raped the roster for 6 years.

You agree on the CB front.  Not getting Vontae Davis okay.  Not getting anybody?  Not so much and not an anomaly - an intentional tactic which came from Idzik's lowballing.  Cromartie was waiting for them to come back to him and would have probably signed the same deal as Patterson. He got $3M for one and his wife was bitching about Idzik on twitter.  None of that had to do with Rex.  

I can agree that Rex is not blameless for the roster, but as Casserly says from the outside nobody knows how much.  I think it is a bit disingenuous to complain about fans that blame it on Idzik being so "misled" while simultaneously acting so sure that it is Rex that has raped the roster for 6 years - never mind the fact that the roster significantly improved his first two years.  

2 years ago. Rex admitted he lost the pulse of the team, so despite what you want to "remember seeing", I'm going to base my comments on what the coach said. It was evident in what he said, and the way the team showed.

1.  You seemed to imply it happened multiple times.  2.  Losing the pulse of the team is not the same as having them quit on you, but whatever.

After seeing this thread alone I would not blame him for getting out of this gig-who needs it

LOL...he could always pull a Phil Jackson.  "Sure Woody, I'll take a fat check and help you fix this mess.  I'll be in Mexico if anyone needs me".

I didn't, but ok.

Looks like you edited your post. Either that we were hacked. But your post now makes sense.

Yes, you hire consultants to make changes. In the corporate world if you are going left the consultant tells you to go right.

I think it is a total long shot but it is possible Rex survives. A total do-over is more likely, but Idzik has been so bad, anything is possible at this point. Rex certainly hasn't earned the right to come back. But as Glenn wrote in his article, Woody seems to want to keep him. If there is any way that Woody can pull that off, he will try to do it.

Still, this season has been so bad I think it is a very long shot.

LOL you need to have me banned because I won't let your lies go unchecked, how pathetic! (Uh oh, I just called you pathetic - that counts as an insult, doesn't it? Better drop that ban-hammer just to be sure…)

If I felt like banning you, it would be done already. Your behavior has gotten you on other mods' radar without any help from me.

But again, you call me a liar without providing a single link to support your delusions. You've never supplied a link, and you never will, because they don't exist. All that exists is your faulty memory - or your lies. I've provided links multiple times.

One link, liar. One. Ready, go!

LOL why did you delete the second line of my post? I thought it was especially witty...

It wasn't witty. You should be banned on the spot for writing personal attacks like that here. We don't need that stuff here, plenty of other places for that. Not here.

So here is the deal. I recommended banning you I saw your posts with the personal attacks in it. Slats was the one that told me to give you another chance.

Just post about football. Don't worry about what other fans think.

Just wondering....

Could anyone foresee a double demotion?  Both Rex and John kept on, but in lesser roles?  I keep telling myself that would never happen (Rex is too proud to accept that, etc.), but a wise man once said never say never.  Rex as DC and John as a cap guy or an ass't GM?  Don't tell me I'm crazy.

Won't happen. Rex will make 3 million next year for sitting home. He isn't taking a demotion.

Besides talk about a divided locker room, no way would you want your ex head coach around.

Won't happen. Rex will make 3 million next year for sitting home. He isn't taking a demotion.

Besides talk about a divided locker room, no way would you want your ex head coach around.

If Rex goes to TV, Woody still owes him. Seems like the way he's going to go.

Looks like you edited your post. Either that we were hacked. But your post now makes sense.

Yes, you hire consultants to make changes. In the corporate world if you are going left the consultant tells you to go right.

I think it is a total long shot but it is possible Rex survives. A total do-over is more likely, but Idzik has been so bad, anything is possible at this point. Rex certainly hasn't earned the right to come back. But as Glenn wrote in his article, Woody seems to want to keep him. If there is any way that Woody can pull that off, he will try to do it.

Still, this season has been so bad I think it is a very long shot.

You are correct. Consultants get paid to make changes. You do not hire a consultant to tell you the people that you have in place are doing a great job. If you "love" someone, you do not ask for a reaffirmation and pay for it and do nothing. Not how that gig works.

Would make no sense.

If we are t0 believe that Woody is looking for a reason to keep rex, that means he is only making a GM change, and once again, a GM will be forced with Rex down his throat. we have all seen how that works. 

Woody is not THAT stupid, and that is why there is a consultant.

Our fan base is every bit the stereotype that exists for it.

I, reluctantly, have to own this. LOL.

I'm torn..shoot me.

The thing that gets me with Rex is that he's married to his system and doesn't plug players where they should be.

I think we're a 4-3 running a 3-4.

And if the TV rumors are true, he'll have the option to double-dip with head coach type pay from some network for part-time work. There's no reason for him to take a DC job anywhere, ever, if that's the case. Also no rush to take any head coaching position he doesn't see as ideal.

I, reluctantly, have to own this. LOL.

I'm torn..shoot me.

The thing that gets me with Rex is that he's married to his system and doesn't plug players where they should be.

I think we're a 4-3 running a 3-4.

Agreed...much better suited for a 4-3 if we put Coples on the D-line.  Maybe the  next guy lets Harris walk, moves Coples (sign Suh?) and let Davis play MLB?  I'd take it.

You are correct. Consultants get paid to make changes. You do not hire a consultant to tell you the people that you have in place are doing a great job. If you "love" someone, you do not ask for a reaffirmation and pay for it and do nothing. Not how that gig works.

Would make no sense.

If we are t0 believe that Woody is looking for a reason to keep rex, that means he is only making a GM change, and once again, a HC will be forced with Rex down his throat. we have all seen how that works. 

Woody is not THAT stupid, and that is why there is a consultant.

I am not saying keeping Rex is the right thing to do. I would blow the whole thing up.  I am saying that there is at least a chance that this could happen. Even a small chance.

Maybe Casserly will name himself the GM and then decide to keep Rex.

For the record here is my official stance:

I would fire Idzik. Then hire a new GM that would most likely fire Rex, fire Bradway. I wouldn't fire Neil Glat. He is team President but he isn't team president in a football operations kind of way.

All that being said, I am hoping Rex survives under a new GM? Why? Because JetNation will explode with posts lol.

And if the TV rumors are true, he'll have the option to double-dip with head coach type pay from some network for part-time work. There's no reason for him to take a DC job anywhere, ever, if that's the case. Also no rush to take any head coaching position he doesn't see as ideal.

Rex seems like a guy who would give up the money to be back on the sideline..

Who has said this besides you?  I have not even heard Gamble make that claim. 

He never made the claim publicly, he just gave some standard line about it not working out.

Before any interviews (with any candidate), Woody gave a generic "Rex is still our coach" line, but it was widely believed in NFL circles that if a candidate really wanted his own guy, that this wasn't an iron-clad decree (turns out that it was). In the first interview, they didn't even discuss Rex (or Bradway), it was more focused on how he would build a team, and if he was willing to trade Revis. Everything went well and he starting calling off interviews with other teams to focus on the Jets job. In the second interview to lock everything down, they got into discussions re: Rex, which is when Woody made it clear that keeping Rex was a non-negotiable condition. Additionally, he made clear that keeping Bradway in his current role was also a non-negotiable position as well (which is another fact that didn't make the papers, but was confirmed a few weeks ago by a Seattle based Jets fan on this forum who spoke with Schneider, who still keeps in touch with Idzik). At that point Gamble didn't want the job under those conditions and declined it. Days later, the NY papers come out with articles claiming he "interviewed poorly," which was obviously leaked by Woody.

FYI, there were no "football men" in the room conducting the interviews - it was Woody, Glat, and Akselrad.

I don't have NYDN or NJ.com links, but those are the facts. Regardless of whether or not one wants to believe them. I hope one day everything that transpired in that interview process comes to light, because there are quite a few people who have been advancing false narratives, and I'm not one of them.

So here is the deal. I recommended banning you I saw your posts with the personal attacks in it. Slats was the one that told me to give you another chance.

Just post about football. Don't worry about what other fans think.

Honestly, at this point maybe it would be for the best if you did. If something so innocuous warrants a ban in your eyes, then this probably isn't the place for me anyhow.

There are obviously moderators here who don't like me very much, and posting here is becoming less and less enjoyable and more and more of a chore. So if you could do me a favor and pull the trigger on that ban, I'd appreciate it :) Thanks in advance.

I am not saying keeping Rex is the right thing to do. I would blow the whole thing up.  I am saying that there is at least a chance that this could happen. Even a small chance.

Maybe Casserly will name himself the GM and then decide to keep Rex.

Casserly can't name himself GM. Woody has to do that. If he wanted him as GM, he hires him as GM. 

I guess there is a very slight chance that he becomes enamored with him, but highly unlikely that is the aspiration of Casserly at this stage.

Some people seem to be wishing for a result, and then shaping its outcome.

Archived