***Official I Won't Be Happy Until Everyone Hates Rex As Much As I Do Thread*** (merged)

Jet27

8-8 was a miracle...............see the Tampa and NE wins.

8-8 was a nice surprise last year I guess...but the real question about Rex is he a good enough coach to get to 12-13 wins and a home playoff game? Personally I think he made too many mistakes in game for him to be that guy.

8-8 was a nice surprise last year I guess...but the real question about Rex is he a good enough coach to get to 12-13 wins and a home playoff game? Personally I think he made too many mistakes in game for him to be that guy.

I'd really like to see Rex Ryan coach a team with a QB better than Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith. 

Agreed.  Nobody really wanted the Super Bowl on that team.  They were all like, whatevs.  And then, Rex did a terrible job of making them realize the magnitude of the game they lost just the year before.

He lost me right there.

And then the next season after the Oakland debacle that would send us on a team-ending 3-5 run, Joe Namath said this and it confirmed my fears and what we now know the problem to have been:

“It starts at the top. Coach Rex Ryan, he’s been doing a great job, getting us to two conference championship games, but there’s one thing about the athlete: You keep telling him how good he is, he’s going to start believing it to the point that he may not be preparing quite the way he should. He may be losing some respect for the other team.”

“I think these guys might be believing that they’re better than they are, Rex has been the only coach that we know, in maybe the history of the game that I’m familiar with, that keeps continually telling his guys how good they are. And they have been pretty good — pretty good — but they haven’t won a championship yet. I think they’ve got to remember that there’s room for improvement.”

Joe spoke about this three years ago and no one wanted to listen. I bet Rex still believes we are the best 3-12 team in NFL history, is wondering why he didn't get a new contract.

SAR I

If Rex is what his fans here think he is, he'll surely be hired tomorrow or shortly thereafter by Atlanta (the best team with the best QB in need of a Coach).

He will then proceed to "get the most out of Atlanta's talent" and win a minimum of 12 games in 2015 with that roster, going deep in the playoffs.

When those things happen, let me know.

If Rex is what his fans here think he is, he'll surely be hired tomorrow or shortly thereafter by Atlanta (the best team with the best QB in need of a Coach).

He will then proceed to "get the most out of Atlanta's talent" and win a minimum of 12 games in 2015 with that roster, going deep in the playoffs.

When those things happen, let me know.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Rex at a PC standing next to Arthur Blank on Friday. 

Oh I agree with you completely.  My point was that the 8-8 was really smoke and mirrors. Two of those wins were handed to us by the most insane penalties you could imagine. 

Another point on Rex's "great" 8-8 campaign is he was the HC who lost his starting QB in pre-season by playing him when no other HC would have.

In a sport where no seasons are throwaway's it would have been interesting to see if we could have scraped into the post season with our starting QB healthy.  

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Rex at a PC standing next to Arthur Blank on Friday. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rex Ryan not get any interviews right off, and quickly instead sign a TV contract for 2015, where none of what made him likable will translate, and he'll be off TV and back as a D-Co in 2016.

I would be very surprised. I think GM's actually pay attention to things like in game management, player accountability,  etc.....but who knows?

The Falcons are really only in need of a defense so I guess they could give Rex the title of HC and have him take a hands off approach on everything but the defense.

I would be very surprised. I think GM's actually pay attention to things like in game management, player accountability,  etc.....but who knows?

The Falcons are really only in need of a defense so I guess they could give Rex the title of HC and have him take a hands off approach on everything but the defense.

They keep Dirk Koetter as OC and have Rex fix the defense and give Matt Ryan a pair of balls. 

A week after beating the New England Patriots in the divisional playoffs and a year after losing their first AFC Championship Game, Rex Ryan's team was uninspired and unprepared to play a Pittsburgh team they had beaten a few weeks earlier.

It was Mike Tannenbaum's fault.

SAR I

You forgot to mention that good coaches make adjustments and bring their team back.  Rex had the defense rally to pitch a shutout in the 2nd half.   They only gave up 17 poionts the entire game.

His team gave up 16 points to Manning, 21 to Brady, and 17 to the Rapist.  That's outstanding!

Rex’s Refusal To Get Offensive Ultimately Paved The Way To His Demise

Jets' Former Head Coach Was Everything You Want, But His Stubbornness Was Brutal

December 29, 2014 12:37 PM
rex-ryan6.jpg?w=620&h=325&crop=1

Jason Keidel

In the end it wasn’t what normally kills a coach.

It wasn’t the garden variety, New York hurdles that loom like mountains to the fledgling coach. It wasn’t the skyline. It wasn’t cold wind howling off the Hudson or Hackensack rivers. It wasn’t the white hot lights of Broadway.

Nor was he swallowed up by the vortex of American media.

Rex Ryan was felled by his own hubris. His best characteristics — his confidence, unwillingness to change, and monolithic ear to his own voice and only tuning fork — are what made him overtly unadaptable to progress.

In retrospect, Ryan’s nightmare and ultimate precursor to this day was his instant success. He won largely with players picked by a prior regime and then thought he was both the shopper and chef, general manager, coach, and cognoscenti. He morphed from confident to arrogant, imbued with a supreme sense of invincibility. And when Woody Johnson chose Ryan over Mike Tannenbaum it reinforced his own, warped coda. He was sure he was untouchable. It pains me to credit another entity with an original thought, but I once heard Colin Cowherd  bluntly ask us to name one offensive player Ryan has developed. And I could not consider just one. And if you give an honest and earnest reflection to Ryan’s tenure you’ll see that every quarterback, every offensive skill player either plateaued, stagnated, or regressed while under Rex’s thick thumb. He gave so much to one side of the ball, he ignored the more important side, particularly with the new, elastic rules relegating defenses a distant cousin to the more fan friendly and pyrotechnic appeal of passing the football. There’s no proper postmortem for John Idzik, Ryan’s new twin under the Black Monday guillotine, who never should have been here and who clearly couldn’t bask in our city’s glow without burning in its glare. Idzik’s midseason mea culpa was so clumsy it felt more like a painful open mike at some off-brand comedy club. No, this eulogy is preserved and reserved for Ryan, because there was so much to love about him, his contours so quintessentially New York City. He has the physical and metaphysical heft to own the five boroughs and beyond. He was a conveyor belt of quotes, an emotional hemophiliac, unable to keep his sunny, stark or dark feelings from a microphone. He was chubby and chortled and loved his team and town so much he had his players literally tattooed to his epic frame. He’s even a direct descendant of the last and lone Jets NFL championship, the son of Buddy Ryan, who was on the coaching staff during the bejeweled Joe Namath run in 1969. He was, forgive the cliche, one of the guys. And despite the money and marble of Madison Avenue, our humble hamlet was built on the blood and backs of blue-collar stiffs. But it turns out that Ryan’s DNA was equal parts talent and torment. Like his father before him, Ryan was born and raised with an acute football myopia. Stuck in the grainy days of running and stopping the run, Ryan never adjusted his old-world ethos to meet or match the new wave of football. And that acute handicap trumped his myriad gifts.

Today is not a reason to cheer, particularly when we lose someone who gave so many reasons to smile.

I underlined and bolded the salient points.

In the end it wasn’t what normally kills a coach. It wasn’t the garden variety, New York hurdles that loom like mountains to the fledgling coach. It wasn’t the skyline. It wasn’t cold wind howling off the Hudson or Hackensack rivers. It wasn’t the white hot lights of Broadway.

Wow. 

Some of you guys have a short memory......the 09, 10 teams were built by who?...was it Mangini/Tanny?

Not Rex.

Who built the 11, 12, 13, 14 teams...that's right, Rex/Tanny and Rex/ISDick.

In the 09 AFCCG when we needed a big stop by the D....did we get one?

In the 10 AFCCG we were down by how many?....24?

Come on guys....what we need is this:

1. A Proven HC who has won.

2. A proven GM who has won.

3. Trade for a quality QB and also draft (trade up) to get one.

4. Get 1 WR.

I just hope we don't sh*t the bed with the opportunity that we now have.

Mangini couldn't win a playoff game with Chad or Favre.. You might want to go back and check how the Tuna failed as well..

The media is focusing on Rex's good pionts like they always do after any tragedy (rex fired).

I'll miss Rex.  He wasn't a greatest coach but he was way better than most Jet coaches in the past. 

I didn't miss Herm, Mangini, Walton or any of the other fired coaches except Walt Michaels.   I'll miss Rex too.

Herm and Mangini are useless in the NFL.  That's why Herm is a talking head on ESPN and Mangini is a nose hair away from never even being an assistant coach ever again in the NFL.

Rex I think can resume being a very good NFL DC.  Maybe he gets another shot as an HC at some point he better go to a team that already has a quarterback however.

Oh I agree with you completely.  My point was that the 8-8 was really smoke and mirrors. Two of those wins were handed to us by the most insane penalties you could imagine. 

Another point on Rex's "great" 8-8 campaign is he was the HC who lost his starting QB in pre-season by playing him when no other HC would have.

In a sport where no seasons are throwaway's it would have been interesting to see if we could have scraped into the post season with our starting QB healthy.  

And down the stretch they beat the Raiders with Matt Mcgloin at QB,  The Browns with Jason Campbell at QB and the Fins who had folded their tents on the season, raising false hopes that this team was on the upswing.

Mangini couldn't win a playoff game with Chad or Favre.. You might want to go back and check how the Tuna failed as well..

The only thing that really matters is did we win a super bowl.......and the last time I checked it was 1969. Fail all around. I said in the beginning Rex was a bust and I still feel that way.

GFY.

Prepare to be unhappy forever. 

Even if I did hate Rex I would unhate him just to make you unhappy. 

Its all good....the reality is the guy was way over his head from the beginning. Like I said hope we don't sh*t the bed with this opportunity hopefully this organization can get it right.

You're only validating my point. Mangini should have replaced Favre when he was playing inefficient, since he was hiding his injury. 

Favre in 2009 and 2010 and Jets probably beat out Manning n Big Ben to reach the SB. Ryan didn't have the luxury of having an average QB, let alone a future HoFer. 

Sanchez in 2009-2010 actually was an average QB....and in 2010 did have 5 come back wins. Rex did nothing to help build Sanchez and did everything to get him outta here. Not saying Sanchez was the answer, but look at our team now. If this organization does not get the GM, HC and QB situation done right we are fcuked for the next 5 years!

29% roster turnover from 2008-2009.  57% roster turnover from 2009 to 2010.

Rex won with Rex's team.

And the one position that would have made all the difference in the world was the QB and we let that guy leave to go to the Vikings. Because of a few bucks.

You forgot to mention that good coaches make adjustments and bring their team back.  Rex had the defense rally to pitch a shutout in the 2nd half.   They only gave up 17 poionts the entire game.

Up by 24 points in the second half the Steelers shut it down, knew they only needed to play keepaway.

Rex didn't orchestrate some great defense in the second half, Tomlin knew a Roethlisberger turnover was the only way he wasn't going to the Super Bowl. He was right.

Rex is gone. You can stop making excuses for him now.

SAR I

Rex’s Refusal To Get Offensive Ultimately Paved The Way To His Demise

Jets' Former Head Coach Was Everything You Want, But His Stubbornness Was Brutal

December 29, 2014 12:37 PM
rex-ryan6.jpg?w=620&h=325&crop=1

Jason Keidel

In the end it wasn’t what normally kills a coach.

It wasn’t the garden variety, New York hurdles that loom like mountains to the fledgling coach. It wasn’t the skyline. It wasn’t cold wind howling off the Hudson or Hackensack rivers. It wasn’t the white hot lights of Broadway.

Nor was he swallowed up by the vortex of American media.

Rex Ryan was felled by his own hubris. His best characteristics — his confidence, unwillingness to change, and monolithic ear to his own voice and only tuning fork — are what made him overtly unadaptable to progress.

In retrospect, Ryan’s nightmare and ultimate precursor to this day was his instant success. He won largely with players picked by a prior regime and then thought he was both the shopper and chef, general manager, coach, and cognoscenti. He morphed from confident to arrogant, imbued with a supreme sense of invincibility. And when Woody Johnson chose Ryan over Mike Tannenbaum it reinforced his own, warped coda. He was sure he was untouchable. It pains me to credit another entity with an original thought, but I once heard Colin Cowherd  bluntly ask us to name one offensive player Ryan has developed. And I could not consider just one. And if you give an honest and earnest reflection to Ryan’s tenure you’ll see that every quarterback, every offensive skill player either plateaued, stagnated, or regressed while under Rex’s thick thumb. He gave so much to one side of the ball, he ignored the more important side, particularly with the new, elastic rules relegating defenses a distant cousin to the more fan friendly and pyrotechnic appeal of passing the football. There’s no proper postmortem for John Idzik, Ryan’s new twin under the Black Monday guillotine, who never should have been here and who clearly couldn’t bask in our city’s glow without burning in its glare. Idzik’s midseason mea culpa was so clumsy it felt more like a painful open mike at some off-brand comedy club. No, this eulogy is preserved and reserved for Ryan, because there was so much to love about him, his contours so quintessentially New York City. He has the physical and metaphysical heft to own the five boroughs and beyond. He was a conveyor belt of quotes, an emotional hemophiliac, unable to keep his sunny, stark or dark feelings from a microphone. He was chubby and chortled and loved his team and town so much he had his players literally tattooed to his epic frame. He’s even a direct descendant of the last and lone Jets NFL championship, the son of Buddy Ryan, who was on the coaching staff during the bejeweled Joe Namath run in 1969. He was, forgive the cliche, one of the guys. And despite the money and marble of Madison Avenue, our humble hamlet was built on the blood and backs of blue-collar stiffs. But it turns out that Ryan’s DNA was equal parts talent and torment. Like his father before him, Ryan was born and raised with an acute football myopia. Stuck in the grainy days of running and stopping the run, Ryan never adjusted his old-world ethos to meet or match the new wave of football. And that acute handicap trumped his myriad gifts.

Today is not a reason to cheer, particularly when we lose someone who gave so many reasons to smile.

I underlined and bolded the salient points.

This is poop.  Straight poop.  

He wasnt willing to change or give the offense an equal look as the defense, yet he had 3 different OC's during his tenure? That makes zero sense.   Plus he hired Tom Moore, who in 2011 actually helped the Jets be one of the most efficient RedZone teams in the league...if not the best, cant remember.  And before of his first 13 picks as a Head Coach, 10 were on offense.

Every offensive player was either plateaued, stagnated or regressed? Thomas Jones, Shonn Greene, Mark Sanchez, Brad Smith, Dustin Keller - all had career years under Rex Ryan.  And he revitalized 2 careers in LaDainian Tomlinson and Braylon Edwards. 

Matt Slauson, Jon Connor, Jeremy Kerley, Bilal Powell, Vlad Ducasse, Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene - all drafted by Rex, all having nice little career. No superstars, but solid players, still in the league.

Under Rex, they led the league in rushing in 2009 (first time the Jets have been first in a single offensive category since 1967).  They were #2 in 2010. Mark Sanchez broke the single season franchise record for most TD's.

But my favorite of all - "stuck in the grainy days of stopping the run and running the ball (the 2 key elements of success for teams like the Ravens, Seahawks, and 49'ers - all recent SB or conference winners) Ryan never adjusted to the the new wave Football" - before the arrival of Idzik, Rex has the best secondary in the league over those 4 years.  On the flip side, and what ultimately did him in, he just couldnt find the QB to play new wave Football...that's about the only part of this article that is actually accurate.

Archived