Make the coach the GM

CobraVerde

None of the candidates currently being interviewed are qualified to make any grocery shopping decisions. The only one who had any semblance of ability to call the shots in that department is in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

The one who failed this year with a $100 mil QB he hand picked? The one who sucked this year? Sounds about right.

The one who failed this year with a $100 mil QB he hand picked? The one who sucked this year? Sounds about right.

He went 44-19 with 2 division titles, 3 conference championship appearances and a Super Bowl appearance.  How many coaches can you name that had a better run of success than that in the last 4 years?

He went 44-19 with 2 division titles, 3 conference championship appearances and a Super Bowl appearance. How many coaches can you name that had a better run of success than that in the last 4 years?

So what happened this year? They were supposed to be even better. Bad coaching I guess.

That dont work anymore. the coaching aspect if a full time job now. the HC has to work 18 hour days 6 days a week on coaching and preparations during the season. theres just not enough time to do all the other things.

So what happened this year? They were supposed to be even better. Bad coaching I guess.

Yeah, must be.  Guess it has nothing to do with Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman and Daniel Kilgore suffering season ending injuries.  Nor could it have been Glenn Dorsey, Aldon Smith, Anthony Davis, Joe Staley, Tramaine Brock, Stevie Johnson and Mike Iupati also suffering injuries.  Nor could it have been the heavy friction with the front office which made everyone aware about halfway through the season that this would be his final year with the Niners.  

Nah, he sucks now.  That makes the most sense.

Yeah, must be. Guess it has nothing to do with Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman and Daniel Kilgore suffering season ending injuries. Nor could it have been Glenn Dorsey, Aldon Smith, Anthony Davis, Joe Staley, Tramaine Brock, Stevie Johnson and Mike Iupati also suffering injuries. Nor could it have been the heavy friction with the front office which made everyone aware about halfway through the season that this would be his final year with the Niners.

Nah, he sucks now. That makes the most sense.

So you're trying to tell me that if Harbaugh doesn't have all the talent in the world in the team, he can't make the playoffs? No sh*t.

So you're trying to tell me that if Harbaugh doesn't have all the talent in the world in the team, he can't make the playoffs? No sh*t.

He's a big reason that team is as talented as it is.  And yes, a coach can't expect to make the playoffs in the toughest division in football when basically all of his key players are hurt.  Yet in your mind that translates to "bad coaching".  Bullsh**.

He's a big reason that team is as talented as it is. And yes, a coach can't expect to make the playoffs in the toughest division in football when basically all of his key players are hurt. Yet in your mind that translates to "bad coaching". Bullsh**.

So he built a top heavy team with not much depth? Injuries catch up to every team. Exactly how many starters were on the IR by season end in his first three years? He had extreme luck with injury free team the last three yrs. sort of like Ryan did his first two years. Then Ryan's team made some bad personel choice specifically at the WR spot. Harbaughs team was struck by injuries. Ryan went 8-8. Harbaugh went...oh, 8-8. Coincidence. Harbaugh had a pretty good 2011 draft. His next two drafts were pretty pisspoor, besides Eric Reid. Sounds like a familiar story. One solid draft, two poor drafts, followed by another good draft in 2014.

Point is, his drafting wasn't the best. When he lost players to injuries, his coaching didn't pull them thru. Anyone can coach few pro bowlers. Aldon Smith n Eric Reid. His two pro bowlers in 4 yrs n 40 draft choices. Yeah, he the reason 49ers were so good. He's also the reason why 49ers had no reliable backups.

He's a big reason that team is as talented as it is.  And yes, a coach can't expect to make the playoffs in the toughest division in football when basically all of his key players are hurt.  Yet in your mind that translates to "bad coaching".  Bullsh**.

lol

So he built a top heavy team with not much depth? Injuries catch up to every team. Exactly how many starters were on the IR by season end in his first three years? He had extreme luck with injury free team the last three yrs. sort of like Ryan did his first two years. Then Ryan's team made some bad personel choice specifically at the WR spot. Harbaughs team was struck by injuries. Ryan went 8-8. Harbaugh went...oh, 8-8. Coincidence. Harbaugh had a pretty good 2011 draft. His next two drafts were pretty pisspoor, besides Eric Reid. Sounds like a familiar story. One solid draft, two poor drafts, followed by another good draft in 2014.

Point is, his drafting wasn't the best. When he lost players to injuries, his coaching didn't pull them thru. Anyone can coach few pro bowlers. Aldon Smith n Eric Reid. His two pro bowlers in 4 yrs n 40 draft choices. Yeah, he the reason 49ers were so good. He's also the reason why 49ers had no reliable backups.

What was their combined record in the four years before he got there?

I can't believe this is an actual argument.

Yeah the one that lost two all pro lb, an all pro DE, and whose team suffered heavy FA losses for two years. When your team knows that you are leaving sh*t falls apart, BB was 11-5 one year and 3-1 the next when it was known that the team would be going to Balt without him, they won two more games the rest of the year. 

But no matter how good you are as a HC it does not automatically qualify equally as a talent evaluator.

Yeah the one that lost two all pro lb, an all pro DE, and whose team suffered heavy FA losses for two years. When your team knows that you are leaving sh*t falls apart, BB was 11-5 one year and 3-1 the next when it was known that the team would be going to Balt without him, they won two more games the rest of the year. 

But no matter how good you are as a HC it does not automatically qualify equally as a talent evaluator.

The 49ers season this year has nothing to do with the fact the BB was a bad HC prior to Brady.

I'm always amazed by people who think Belichick is a bad head coach.

Have you noticed other Superbowl winners come and go, rise and fall, win and fade into mediocrity? Where are the Steelers? The Chargers? The Rams? The Panthers? In the play offs looking like an early exit, then missing the play offs after a crap season, then crawling back into wildcard contention 3 years later.

How about Belichick's Patriots? 14 years is a long time to rule the AFC. Today it's the Broncos. Yesterday it was the Ravens. Before that it was the Jets and the Colts and the Steelers.

The Patriots conference rivals come and go, yet the Patriots remain.

Not exactly the mark of a lousy coach.

I have him at #1 in the league and I don't think that's homerism or Patriot bias at all.

So him losing 3 starters is ok even though they had decent depth behind them but Rex losing anything that resembles a CB is murderous? Especially when it was already the teams weakness?

My point is, if Rex is stoned for not winning more games than the talent level in the team, why do we spare the great Harbaugh? Every team has injuries. That's not an excuse. That's why u have a 100 mil QB. Packers won a SB with like 10 starters on IR. That's great coaching. Harbaugh won games only when he had a completely healthy n loaded roster. Once a few injuries hit, his team started losing. I wonder if it was the talent that was winning those games or the coach? We know for a fact when couple of starters went down, the 9ers started losing. 5th grader can connect the dots.

I'm always amazed by people who think Belichick is a bad head coach.

Have you noticed other Superbowl winners come and go, rise and fall, win and fade into mediocrity? Where are the Steelers? The Chargers? The Rams? The Panthers? In the play offs looking like an early exit, then missing the play offs after a crap season, then crawling back into wildcard contention 3 years later.

How about Belichick's Patriots? 14 years is a long time to rule the AFC. Today it's the Broncos. Yesterday it was the Ravens. Before that it was the Jets and the Colts and the Steelers.

The Patriots conference rivals come and go, yet the Patriots remain.

Not exactly the mark of a lousy coach.

I have him at #1 in the league and I don't think that's homerism or Patriot bias at all.

I don't think he's a bad coach at all. I do think his greatness is due to Brady. He's a top 5 coach right now but we will only find out how good he is when Brady retires. They both compliment each other, but I think Belichick would have won another SB in the last decade if he was even marginally better.

I don't think he's a bad coach at all. I do think his greatness is due to Brady. He's a top 5 coach right now but we will only find out how good he is when Brady retires. They both compliment each other, but I think Belichick would have won another SB in the last decade if he was even marginally better.

Well, to put things into perspective, let me ask you a question:

How many teams go to the Superbowl and nearly win it while in a state of rebuilding?

Because that's what 2011 was for the Patriots.

Pretty uncanny if you ask me. I can't think of any HC i'd rather have, and for me, it really isn't even close. I feel lucky to have him and believe he'll go down as one of the greatest, which is no easy task when talking about NFL head coaches, because the bar has been set rather high.

Just my opinion

Archived