Former Jets' rave about Marrone

DaBallhawk

http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/curtis-martin-kevin-mawae-rave-about-jets-coaching-favorite/

It's good to actually hear from people that have had the opportunity to play for Marrone instead of some hacky sh*thead (Mehta) who writes a lot but actually knows nothing about him.

“Most coaches after practice, especially in the summer after two-a-days or in the season when it’s cold outside in November and December and everybody wants to go in and get hot cocoa, he’s one of those coaches that was out with us pushing that sled — me and Jonathan Goodwin and whoever else was on the practice squad,” Moore said Friday. “He was very instrumental in me going from a raw individual to being the player I was over the course of my career.”

“I don’t think I can say enough good things about him,” Hall of Fame running back Curtis Martin said. “I really like him as a person, and I think he’s a heck of a coach. Kevin Mawae, Pete Kendall, those are good guys, but those are strong personalities,” Martin said of the center and left guard. “If you don’t have a strong personality to match theirs, they’re not going to respect you enough to get the most out of them. Doug had that respect from them.”

Mawae instantly was impressed. “I loved playing for him,” said Mawae, who made three Pro Bowls under Marrone. “He helped me understand the whys of the game.”

Moore said Marrone and former Jets offensive line coach Bill Callahan are the two coaches he thinks work the hardest at improving every day. The way Marrone treated the guys buried on the depth chart showed it. “He had the Kevin Mawaes, Pete Kendalls, Dave Szotts, all these Pro Bowlers, but he felt like he was only as good as the backups and the young guys that were there,” Moore said. “I’ve had other O-line coaches that could care less about the guy that came here last week off the practice squad. He was out there working with us to get better because he knew we were only a play away.”

Moore believes Marrone will be a successful NFL head coach. “He’s approachable,” Moore said. “His office was always open. You’d come in and he was always excited to see you. He was never standoffish. I think those things work well. He’s definitely going to find a way, offensively especially, to be successful.”

“One of the things I always recognized with coaches is how players respond to them,” Martin said. “A lot of people don’t think coaches make a really big difference, but I’ve seen coaches make all the difference in the world. It really depends on the type of person they are and the type of respect they have with the players. Those are the two things Doug has working for him, is that he’s a great person and he has a lot of respect from the players he coached.”

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the Mawae article on ESPN, nothing but nice things to say about Marrone.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48179/former-jets-star-kevin-mawae-gives-doug-marrone-a-thumbs-up

Excellent read.

"If anybody asks for my stamp of approval or, as they say in New York, would I vouch for him? I absolutely would," Mawae said Friday by phone.

"We'd be lucky to have him," Mawae said.

It's refreshing to read an article where the writer actually does the research, talking to people who've actually worked with Marrone, as opposed to Mehta and that mousy f*cker Mike Lupica, who just pull stuff out of their asses.

Marrone sounds like a good choice. A lot of good people think very highly of him.

This was good to read which is a rarity these days. 

For my money, and it's really not, I'd take Marrone or Bowles over all the rest. The old and tired retreads in Shanahan and Kubiak... the guys from Seatle, they all do nothing for me.  Quinn is under Carroll who is a top notch D guy himself and I don't think the Seattle offense is all that impressive. Not worthy of wanting the OC to run our team anyway.

Marrone has a track record of being in charge. I like the idea

I'm pretty much opposed to.the politics of the Post but I have decided that from now on they will be my go to sports read, purchase and click for Jet and sports news

Costello, Serby, Canizzaro

Vs

Those three stinking pieces of crap Lupica, Mehta and Myers

No contest

The Jet teams Marrone coached on had some ornery personalities (Mawae, Kendall).  So it's

good to hear that he was able to gain their respect and also teach the young players (Moore)

that were low on the totem pole.  He's not my first choice but he's definitely worth consideration

Curtis Martin is a gentleman. He'll never say a negative word about anyone and is a man of few words. For him to say what he did regarding Marrone speaks volumes.

I too would be OK with Marrone, but I keep thinking what we really need here is an offensive minded coach who can implement a system that puts defenses on their heels and utilizes the talent we have.

When I look at the Pats these last few years I see an "O" that doesn't have "incredible" talent, especially ay the WR position. The system is designed to get these players open for quick hit move the chains plays. Brady is obviously the key, but from a talent perspective, Kerley, Decker could easily be matched with Edelman and LaFell. Amaro could one day develop into a Gronk type player if the system allows.

I thought maybe Marty was the guy to bring this offense to a new level, but when I look at the plays being run and the predictability I see he wasn't.

A lot lies at the feet of the young QB, but maybe he can be salvaged. Just need the right co-ordinator

Curtis Martin is a gentleman. He'll never say a negative word about anyone and is a man of few words. For him to say what he did regarding Marrone speaks volumes.

I too would be OK with Marrone, but I keep thinking what we really need here is an offensive minded coach who can implement a system that puts defenses on their heels and utilizes the talent we have.

When I look at the Pats these last few years I see an "O" that doesn't have "incredible" talent, especially ay the WR position. The system is designed to get these players open for quick hit move the chains plays. Brady is obviously the key, but from a talent perspective, Kerley, Decker could easily be matched with Edelman and LaFell. Amaro could one day develop into a Gronk type player if the system allows.

I thought maybe Marty was the guy to bring this offense to a new level, but when I look at the plays being run and the predictability I see he wasn't.

A lot lies at the feet of the young QB, but maybe he can be salvaged. Just need the right co-ordinator

In fairness, I think Marrone coached to the talent he had, and got a lot out if a collection of Jags on offense.

In fairness, I think Marrone coached to the talent he had, and got a lot out if a collection of Jags on offense.

So are you OK with Marrone? I think he'll run the team well... Cut down on penalties and all the "Circus" crap. I like that he hates the press.

I guess if he can bring in the right co-ordinators, I'd have no problem with him managing the practices, personnel and the game on Sunday's. It all comes down to a great GM and co-ordinators hired. And a revamping of the scouting and player evaluations departments

So are you OK with Marrone? I think he'll run the team well... Cut down on penalties and all the "Circus" crap. I like that he hates the press.

I guess if he can bring in the right co-ordinators, I'd have no problem with him managing the practices, personnel and the game on Sunday's. It all comes down to a great GM and co-ordinators hired. And a revamping of the scouting and player evaluations departments

I'm on the fence.

I want Bowles or Quinn more, I think. Of the names being kicked around, these 3 seem best.

I was hoping more college head coaches would garner consideration, tbh, more experience running the whole team.

Detectivekimble brought up Brian Kelly yesterday.

Hmm, I wonder what former Bills players would say about him.

Or Bills fans, for that matter.

Spoiler alert: they are glad he and his throwback run, run, pass, punt offense are gone. And even more glad that their dumbass division rival might hire him.

I'm on the fence.

I want Bowles or Quinn more, I think. Of the names being kicked around, these 3 seem best.

I was hoping more college head coaches would garner consideration, tbh, more experience running the whole team.

I also like the idea of a college coach. These guys tend to connect better with these young guys. Also the trend is moving again to quick tempo offenses which

these college coaches today are excelling at. Baylor, TCU, Oregon. They should at least be in the conversation.

I'm on the fence.

Agree.  Like Quinn more than Marrone.   more personality for New York.      I know he's a DC,  but what a D...!    With Chris Ballard as GM-- we get better players

and we're on to the playoffs.       see below:   www.newsday.com

/......Quinn is a former Jets assistant, coaching the defensive line under Eric Mangini in 2007-08. He was a Hofstra defensive assistant under Joe Gardi from 1996-2000 and also worked for the 49ers and Dolphins. Quinn, 44, grew up in Morristown, New Jersey, a stone's throw from the Jets' training complex in Florham Park.

Quinn is comfortable in his own skin, has a great rapport with his players and is as composed during media interviews as he is calling plays for the Seahawks' renowned "Legion of Boom'' defense. Quinn also seems to have a more global sense of what it will take to be a head coach, diverging from Ryan's penchant for paying attention to his defense and leaving the offense to someone else.

The Jets might have to wait a month for Quinn to finish his season, because he can't be hired until after the Seahawks' season is over -- which might not be until Feb. 1, when the Super Bowl is played in Glendale, Arizona. But if you have a conviction on a guy, what's another few weeks?

Big decision here, folks. The Jets can't afford to get it wrong.

I also like the idea of a college coach. These guys tend to connect better with these young guys. Also the trend is moving again to quick tempo offenses which

these college coaches today are excelling at. Baylor, TCU, Oregon. They should at least be in the conversation.

The hardest transition for college guys isn't the game itself, but the "control" factor.When you are a coach at a top level program, you run the entire show. You recruit your type of players. You find a bad apple, he's gone.Everyone works for you. You don't have to worry about meddlesome owners or incompetent GM's. Some guys (Carroll) can make that transition, others (Saban,Harbough, and now, maybe Chip Kelly) find it hard. Plus, the $ for these top guys is pretty comparable, if not better.

Marrone is a local guy with jets roots, born and schooled in the Bronx, what's not to like? He can give it out to the ny beat writers like a Born and bred New Yorker, maybe they are afraid of that?

He seems like he could be a very steady choice. His teams look very prepared

We could do a lot worse...

Marrone is a local guy with jets roots, born and schooled in the Bronx, what's not to like? He can give it out to the ny beat writers like a Born and bred New Yorker, maybe they are afraid of that?

He seems like he could be a very steady choice. His teams look very prepared

We could do a lot worse...

Yeah, they looked really prepared when the Raiders knocked them out of the playoffs.

Martin and Mawae obviously are misinformed. Guys like Lupica and Mehta know so much more.

I know everyone here loves reading Fluff articles BUT - This ringing endorsements are when Marrone was a positional coach that was responsible for what? 15 guys? 

Things are wayy different when your a head coach - And as a head coach his reviews from his CURRENT players and team would seem more relevant and don't seem positive at all. 

I know everyone here loves reading Fluff articles BUT - This ringing endorsements are when Marrone was a positional coach that was responsible for what? 15 guys? 

Things are wayy different when your a head coach - And as a head coach his reviews from his CURRENT players and team would seem more relevant and don't seem positive at all. 

What current players? Who on the Bills has been quoted to say they didn't like him? And why ?

The Raiders, for all intents and purposes, knocked the Chiefs out also. I guess Andy Reid prepares poorly too?.

Raiders/Chiefs happened in November. And it was on a Thursday. The Chiefs' season was not exactly on the line. In week 16, the Bills season literally WAS on the line.

Just don't come spouting some nonsense about how the Bills were always very prepared where there is a very recent and very dubious example that shows otherwise.

Raiders/Chiefs happened in November. And it was on a Thursday. The Chiefs' season was not exactly on the line. In week 16, the Bills season literally WAS on the line.

Just don't come spouting some nonsense about how the Bills were always very prepared where there is a very recent and very dubious example that shows otherwise.

Kinda like the Sugar Bowl, huh?

What current players? Who on the Bills has been quoted to say they didn't like him? And why ?

I think the Bills players feel betrayed and I understand that... however, I think he had the respect of his players. They were building something there and he left.

If you get the opportunity to leave the "Dark Side of the Moon" you take it. Especially when the top brass won't let you give your co-ordinators an extension, nor the HC for that matter. Loyalty goes both ways.

Betrayed how? The Bills organization didn't have his back so he left. Plain and simple. If he can't do over there and build the place up over there the way he wants to then by all means he should move on to a place that allows him to be more in control and appreciates him a little more. Whether that's NY or whoever offers him that job. And I haven't heard any of the players complain about him either. In fact, some guys tweeted at how pissed they are that they lost him as a HC. They know it's a business, they know exactly why he moved on and they understand it.

Betrayed how? The Bills organization didn't have his back so he left. Plain and simple. If he can't do over there and build the place up over there the way he wants to then by all means he should move on to a place that allows him to be more in control and appreciates him a little more. Whether that's NY or whoever offers him that job. And I haven't heard any of the players complain about him either. In fact, some guys tweeted at how pissed they are that they lost him as a HC. They know it's a business, they know exactly why he moved on and they understand it.

Players on the Bills assumed Doug Marrone would be their coach in 2015. But with just six hours remaining in 2014, they found out that wouldn’t be the case.

Several Bills players reacted with shock and some anger to the news that Marrone has opted out of his contract and will not be coaching the Bills going forward.

“Wow,” tweeted Bills offensive lineman Eric Wood. “That caught me off guard for sure.”

Bills defensive back Aaron Williams didn’t try to hide his anger at the coach who walked away from his team today.

“Lost all respect!! Completely pissed off, but not gonna let it ruin my New Years,” Williams wrote.

Bills running back C.J. Spiller said that at the team’s year-end meeting following their Week 17 win over the Patriots, Marrone gave no indication that he might not be back.

“How quickly things can change just had a team meeting Monday and wasn’t given a heads up, but guess that’s how this business works,” Spiller wrote.

But the most noteworthy tweets were from a couple of Bills players who didn’t specifically mention Marrone. Quarterback EJ Manuel and guard Kraig Urbik, both of whom were benched by Marrone this year, both chimed in with “Happy New Year!” tweets within minutes after the news broke that Marrone is leaving. Perhaps those two just wanted to wish their followers a happy 2015. Or perhaps they were signaling that they’ll be happier in 2015 with a new coach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/31/bills-players-caught-off-guard-by-doug-marrones-exit/

Betrayed how? The Bills organization didn't have his back so he left. Plain and simple. If he can't do over there and build the place up over there the way he wants to then by all means he should move on to a place that allows him to be more in control and appreciates him a little more. Whether that's NY or whoever offers him that job. And I haven't heard any of the players complain about him either. In fact, some guys tweeted at how pissed they are that they lost him as a HC. They know it's a business, they know exactly why he moved on and they understand it

.I think you misunderstood my post. I agree he had every right to leave

Archived