Former Jets' rave about Marrone

DaBallhawk

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but I think that if Woody brings Marrone in here first - BEFORE hiring a GM - he has positioned himself (and us) for another disappointment. There are certain ways of doing things that are successful and it is a proven way to hire the GM and allow HIM to make the decision on the HC. Not hire the coach and 'HOPE' they are in lock step.

I can't understand why everyone sees this except for Woody. I would think that the casserly and wolf input would help Woody see this.  But to tell you the truth, they may have their own agendas.  The one thing I am surest of is that Woody should appoint a football man to make the important decisions and bow out himself.  

True he just took the money from Hess and gave his word he would be the HC..

correct, but not the fans or the team- just the management. Remember all it took was Parcells walking away, Instead Parcells screwed Groh and the jets with sweetheart deals to his favorites.

correct, but not the fans or the team- just the management. Remember all it took was Parcells walking away, Instead Parcells screwed Groh and the jets with sweetheart deals to his favorites.

Hey Cumar screwed the Pats conspiring with his Tuna Daddy with a poison pill contract he knew the Pats couldn't agree to allowing the player to void it after 1 year..

I was certainly not in the keep Rex camp, but I may as well have been if this guy is the hire. Coaching style is too similar to Rex and basically every Jets coach since Parcells. I want a coach with balls, not a coach that will punt on 4th and 2 99% of the time.

I actually was in the keep Rex camp, but somehow disagree with you.  I like having balls and all that, but I think I'm starting to lean away from that mentality. We had oodles of that bravado with Rex and here we are.

I also don't know if Marrone was that way due to not having true confidence in his QB. It's stupid to run on 4th and 2 when everyone knows you're going to give it to Spiller.

He could actually be the smartest man alive!   lol

Exactly my point; they're two different jobs, 

The guy that excels at mowing the lawn might not excel at running the landscape company. 

He has improved each year he's been a HC and gave a perennial loser it's first winning season in over a decade all in a year when the city was in a state of emergency for two weeks.  Your point, while I do get it, is weak at best.

Tuna was the GM and Martin agreed to it if Tanny was such a genius Farve isn't a Viking in 2009..

In Parcells most recent book, he wrote that Tannebaum wrote the language for the poison pill.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8224339/pro-football-hall-fame-curtis-martin-changed-course-two-franchises

Martin launched the career of Tannenbaum, who, despite his initial skepticism, crafted a landmark contract. "There was some personal gratification, but it was more like, wow, we got better as an organization. We got a special, special guy that came through our door," Tannenbaum said.

----More reason for you to have vitriol for Martin :)

In Parcells most recent book, he wrote that Tannebaum wrote the language for the poison pill.

My point was it wouldn't have been there if the Tuna and Martin didn't want it in.. The idea was to screw the Pats and that good guy Cumar screwed the team that drafted him and to make you happy with Tanny's idea.. :winking0001:

My point was it wouldn't have been there if the Tuna and Martin didn't want it in.. The idea was to screw the Pats and that good guy Cumar screwed the team that drafted him and to make you happy with Tanny's idea.. :winking0001:

Well, I thought that was obvious.

Parcells wanted Martin, Martin wanted Parcells. They did everything within the rules, at the time,  to get it done.

BTW-Tannenbaum was the "good guy", when he let Favre off his contract when he retired ;)

He has improved each year he's been a HC and gave a perennial loser it's first winning season in over a decade all in a year when the city was in a state of emergency for two weeks.  Your point, while I do get it, is weak at best.

My point is weak? You can't even present facts. 

Bills were 6-10 before Marrone and were 6-10 after Marrone's first season.

How did he "improve each year he's been HC"? 

One single 9-7 winning season isn't a pattern and two seasons with one franchise isn't a sufficient body of work.

Your argument is weak and so is Marrone's portfolio.

My point is weak? You can't even present facts. 

Bills were 6-10 before Marrone and were 6-10 after Marrone's first season.

How did he "improve each year he's been HC"? 

One single 9-7 winning season isn't a pattern and two seasons with one franchise isn't a sufficient body of work.

Your argument is weak and so is Marrone's portfolio.

Such a poopy pants.

Aaaaaaaaanywho.... let's back it up to the beginning of the original point which I no longer remember and do not feel like scrolling backnow that I've begun typing.

Didn't it start with you implying that the comments from the Jets players wasn't a positive and didn't really mean anything? 

My response was that it showed when he was in that position he took the time to pay attention to the depth on the team as opposed to only the starters. To think that players raving about his earlier coaching position is not a positive makes me wonder where your argument comes from? Of course it's a positive and showed something that the Jets have been lacking to a large extent throughout the Ryan era. When a starter went down the drop off was significant in most cases.

And what I know you know I meant about him improving as a coach still holds true.  I even stated that it was a short testing period and that he improved. Sorry if I slid a word in there (each) which somehow gives you what you feel is a foothold in our wonderful debate.

Either way I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.  I thought we were talking about positives of a guy who is potentially our new HC. 

Great article calling out Mehta:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Crossing-the-line.html

Crossing the Line

The media's claims about Doug Marrone are indicative of a problem with journalism. Greg Gabriel

Saturday, in the New York Daily News, New York Jets beat writer Manish Mehta wrote an article titled “NY Jets interview Doug Marrone, and with Bills, the average ex-coach rubbed many in the organization the wrong way”. After reading the article, I have one thing to say, it’s total garbage! In this year’s hiring cycle, I have seen media getting more involved with their opinions than at any other time in the past. In the case of Marrone and the Jets, all you have to do is follow Mehta’s tweets over the last week, and you see he is one who wants to sabotage the Jets possible hiring of Marrone. He doesn’t want Marrone to be the coach, so he will make his feelings known in any way possible.

There are some media who are very knowledgable people, have strong connections, and come up with excellent perspective in regards to some coaching/GM candidates. Mehta isn’t one of them. This article was nothing but an immature hack job. He quotes “sources” inside the Bills' front office, but names none. Were they the General Manager or CEO? I highly doubt it. 

I know that Marrone had some problems with a couple of writers at the Buffalo News, but the people he had problems with, know absolutely nothing about football. He was criticized for being a conservative coach. What these people don’t realize is that Doug Marrone just coached the Buffalo Bills to their first winning season in 10 years, and they are complaining about it.

Going into the season, there wasn’t anyone around the league who felt the Bills had the slightest chance of having a winning season. Yet, 17 weeks later, we find that they swept the entire NFC North which included two playoff teams, swept Mehta’s Jets by 20 and 35 points respectively, and also beat the New England Patriots.

The Bills did this with an average roster and a journeyman quarterback. The naysayers in the Buffalo media felt the Bills should have been in the playoffs. These people are dreamers. The reality is this team was not a playoff team and was also one of the better coached teams in the NFL. When you look at Mehta’s article, you see the same “quotes” that negative Buffalo writers have written or talked about on talk radio which leads me to believe that Mehta’s sources were his media friends.

After spending 30 years in the National Football League, I have no problem with a writer or a radio host giving solid informed opinions. I do have a problem when they write/talk about things they know nothing about. Some of these media types feel that they are better prepared to make the football decisions than the real football people. Most of these people never played or coached the game past high school, and if given the opportunity to make a decision, wouldn't know where to start. Mehta is one who would fit that category. 

Thae fact is, Doug Marrone is highly thought of by respected football people throughout the National Football League. What Mehta is trying to do is manipulate the process with his writing when, in reality, it’s an area he knows nothing about. This type of “manipulation” does not go on just in New York. I have seen it in Chicago, where the Bears are in the process of hiring a new General Manager and Coach just as the Jets are. Being that I live in Chicago, I can’t believe the things I have been hearing about some of the candidates. They seem to pull names out of a hat and push those names, yet they know nothing about the people they are talking about.

They also do the opposite and criticize a candidate because of his “association” with someone they don’t like. That type of thinking is ludicrous. Each candidate has to be measured on his own merit and philosophy, not what his bosses or friends may have done in the past. In each organization, there is a chain of command. Top employees know where they stand in the chain and don’t sabotage what their boss is trying to accomplish. Their job may be to give their opinion, but in the end, the final decision rests in the hands of the decision maker. The subordinate shouldn’t be judged on those decisions but only on the input he had in that decision. Yet, many in the media seem to think the opposite. That's not right.

Follow Greg on Twitter @greggabe

Between this article and Costello and even Cimini publicly calling out the sleazy rodent from the Daily News, I'm beginning to think his paper might just decide his defamation of Marrone is way over the line and either fire his ass or assign him to cover WNBA Basketball or Cricket test matches and assign a more responsible journalist to the Jet beat

True he just took the money from Hess and gave his word he would be the HC..

If you remember, the NFL ruled that he  would have had to pay the money back. The forgiveness of that debt was part of the jets compensation to get BB one year early. Again, it was Parcells fault that Brady and Belichick have ruled the division for 15 years, not Mo Lewis :winking0001:

Archived