Former Jets' rave about Marrone

DaBallhawk

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.I think you misunderstood my post. I agree he had every right to leave

It's not so much about having the right to leave, that was obviously perfectly fine, the Bills worked that option into his contract. It's more about how simple the media tries to paint this whole picture. It's basically just "Oh, look, that quitter quit on his team just like that and he didn't even tell the players! Sends a text message to them after he's gone, what an a$$hole!". And that's all you get. These idiots don't know what they're talking about, what exactly happened, how it happened and the situation the guy was in. Pulling off stuff like that the way the media tries to portray the situation could cost Marron HC opportunities, it could cost him millions, he'd lose a lot of credibility and trust around the league. Of course he didn't just sit on his couch, smiling while counting his millions after "quitting" on the Bills and then decided to go like "whoops! let me send some texts to my former players just for the record LOL". He was in a bad spot, he tried to somehow get out of it as best as he can. I'm more globally speaking now, I know where you're coming from so this isn't directed at you.

This was good to read which is a rarity these days. 

For my money, and it's really not, I'd take Marrone or Bowles over all the rest. The old and tired retreads in Shanahan and Kubiak... the guys from Seatle, they all do nothing for me.  Quinn is under Carroll who is a top notch D guy himself and I don't think the Seattle offense is all that impressive. Not worthy of wanting the OC to run our team anyway.

Marrone has a track record of being in charge. I like the idea

Kubiak and Marrone each had one NFL HC job.

Why do you consider one a "retread" and the other a viable candidate for the Jets?

Hmm, I wonder what former Bills players would say about him.

Or Bills fans, for that matter.

Spoiler alert: they are glad he and his throwback run, run, pass, punt offense are gone. And even more glad that their dumbass division rival might hire him.

what were bills fans saying about him when they were happy they 9 & 7

IT seems like one paper (The Post) is for the move and one paper (The Daily News) is against it.

ESPN appears to be leaning towards the positive. Cimini has said that he might be the best qualified candidate for the job.

Cimini is tight with Marrone. which is why he didn't break the news about him opting out, he had others do it.

Marrone coming here is good for Cimini.

So of course Manish hates it.

The agendas in the press box are disappointing.

Why do you consider one a "retread" and the other a viable candidate for the Jets?

Quite frankly, I think they are both viable candidates.  Who cares if they had a previous job?  BTW, a re-tread in my mind is a HC who ran his course and was fired at the end of his tenure, not a HC who left on his own.

That his offense was unimaginative and he was far too conservative.

Some Bills fans are openly rooting that he comes here. That should tell you something.

It tells me that you can't listen to fans. He kicked our ass 3 out of 4 times and had the balls to bench his young ineffective QB to salvage a season.

Because one guy built a team and over saw it as it declined and was fired. Add to that the health issues he has.

Marrone, while given a shorter time period of testing, had his team on the rise and left due to uncertainty with the new ownership (and a really unique monetary opportunity).

That's why.  :D

Because one guy built a team and over saw it as it declined and was fired. Add to that the health issues he has.

Marrone, while given a shorter time period of testing, had his team on the rise and left due to uncertainty with the new ownership (and a really unique monetary opportunity).

That's why.  :biggrin:

Good answer.

I just don't see enough of a portfolio on Marrone to know if he's the best guy for the job or not.  It's a decent beginning of a portfolio, but who knows how that translates to becoming part of completely rebuilding a team from the GM down to the QB (maybe not totally true, but it's what it feels like after the performance this season)? 

I wouldn't be upset (right now) if he's the guy, and what Mawae, Martin and others have said sways me to be more comfortable with this potential move - mostly because of the word they kept repeating, 'Respect.'  It sounds like he's a teacher of the game and he instills a respect for and within his players.  I guarantee he won't be pushing sleds around the field anymore, but character doesn't change and he'll have that atmosphere of respect in the clubhouse, which this team needs badly.

What worries me most about the possibility of hiring him is that welcoming him with even half-open arms sort of makes me feel like a hypocrite for being so sarcastic about BB all these years.  Hiring Marrone is very similar to the BB situation - without the draft picks.  Yes, I understand why BB left, but is still irks me, and I don't think being on the receiving end shouldn't irk me any less - contract-law be damned.

Whoever is hired, I feel that we fans have earned the right to be somewhat hesitant and to reserve judgement, good or bad.  I plan on leaving any sorts of plans for fandom of the new coach, QB, whoever, on the shelf for at least a season....I'll decide if I like them, perhaps next January.  Just tired of getting my hopes up and then feeling like I have to make excuses for getting suckered in by some of these fools.

It tells me that you can't listen to fans. He kicked our ass 3 out of 4 times and had the balls to bench his young ineffective QB to salvage a season.

I see this cited a ton, as if it is somehow impressive to kick the sh*t out of a 4-12 team twice.

Kudos on him for benching Manuel, though. Doesn't really override the fact that he drafted the damn guy, however. But whatever. The Jets are set at QB. We don't need a head coach with a track record for developing them.

New York Jets to interview Doug Marrone today
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: Jan. 3, 2015 at 11:30 a.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 3, 2015 at 11:37 a.m.

The New York Jets' strong interest in Doug Marrone will take tangible form Saturday.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the Jets are interviewing Marrone on Saturday, per a source informed of the team's plans.

0ap3000000448072.jpg

Marrone opted out of his contract with the Buffalo Bills on Wednesday, and immediate speculation linked the coach to Gang Green.

Rapoport added that that interest is strong on both sides of the table for Marrone -- a Bronx native -- to become the Jets' next coach.

The Jets interviewed assistant Anthony Lynn on Wednesday, fulfilling the Rooney Rule requirement. So if Marrone is indeed their man, the Jets could hire him as soon as they come to an agreement.

New York has also requested to interview Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak and Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles for their head-coaching job.

Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich will interview for the job, according to Rapoport, per a source informed of the team plans.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast previews this weekend's four Wild-Card matchups and predicts who will advance. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

I just don't see enough of a portfolio on Marrone to know if he's the best guy for the job or not. It's a decent beginning of a portfolio, but who knows how that translates to becoming part of completely rebuilding a team from the GM down to the QB (maybe not totally true, but it's what it feels like after the performance this season)?

I wouldn't be upset (right now) if he's the guy, and what Mawae, Martin and others have said sways me to be more comfortable with this potential move - mostly because of the word they kept repeating, 'Respect.' It sounds like he's a teacher of the game and he instills a respect for and within his players. I guarantee he won't be pushing sleds around the field anymore, but character doesn't change and he'll have that atmosphere of respect in the clubhouse, which this team needs badly.

What worries me most about the possibility of hiring him is that welcoming him with even half-open arms sort of makes me feel like a hypocrite for being so sarcastic about BB all these years. Hiring Marrone is very similar to the BB situation - without the draft picks. Yes, I understand why BB left, but is still irks me, and I don't think being on the receiving end shouldn't irk me any less - contract-law be damned.

Whoever is hired, I feel that we fans have earned the right to be somewhat hesitant and to reserve judgement, good or bad. I plan on leaving any sorts of plans for fandom of the new coach, QB, whoever, on the shelf for at least a season....I'll decide if I like them, perhaps next January. Just tired of getting my hopes up and then feeling like I have to make excuses for getting suckered in by some of these fools.

How can you compare Marrone's situation / actions to BB.

- Marrone had on opt clause in his contract that he can leave if the team changes owners

- BB signed a contract that he would become the HC of the NYJ once Parcells resigned. Period no strings attached.

- Marrone asked to commit to the Bills by asking for an extension from the new owners for him and his assistants.

-BB broke his contract.

That his offense was unimaginative and he was far too conservative.

Some Bills fans are openly rooting that he comes here. That should tell you something.

Of course his offense was unimaginative, he did not have a qb that would allow a different one. Orton is not that type of QB that you build an offense around or ask that he do things he can't do. Both jackson and Spiller were only healthy for 1/2 of the season.

He seems to be decisive, from changing DCs, cutting Branch, making the Switch to Orton etc. How good he is as a game manager  I don't know as he only played 3.5 games against the pats.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/curtis-martin-kevin-mawae-rave-about-jets-coaching-favorite/

It's good to actually hear from people that have had the opportunity to play for Marrone instead of some hacky sh*thead (Mehta) who writes a lot but actually knows nothing about him.

Conclusion: Marrone was a well-liked and highly respected OL coach ten years ago.

I see this cited a ton, as if it is somehow impressive to kick the sh*t out of a 4-12 team twice.

Kudos on him for benching Manuel, though. Doesn't really override the fact that he drafted the damn guy, however. But whatever. The Jets are set at QB. We don't need a head coach with a track record for developing them.

I think that point speaks more to the people in the "Rex Ryan should have been retained" camp.  Many of the people who are upset about Rex being fired have stated on here that it would be BS to fire Rex just to hire Marrone. The solid answer to that is that Marrone owned Rex over his two seasons in Buffalo.

It's actually a very strong point.

Conclusion: Marrone was a well-liked and highly respected OL coach ten years ago.

Hey, it's still a good sign.  Shows he has earned his climb up the latter and knows the inns and outs of the game from the bottom up. The point from Moore about being attentive the backups is a big deal to me personally. I feel there is a big drop off from starter to back up on the Jets.

Yet the Steelers and Pats never seem to miss a beat. It's an important and overlooked aspect of the game.

Let's say Jets do hire Marrone, and he brings Schwartz here to run the D. What kind of relationship does Schwartz have with Suh? Nah, we couldn't be that lucky, could we?

my pants just flew off at the idea of all that swinging our way.  BRB gotta go get my pants back on.

Hey, it's still a good sign.  Shows he has earned his climb up the latter and knows the inns and outs of the game from the bottom up. The point from Moore about being attentive the backups is a big deal to me personally. I feel there is a big drop off from starter to back up on the Jets.

Yet the Steelers and Pats never seem to miss a beat. It's an important and overlooked aspect of the game.

I get all that, but as HC he won't be out there pushing the sled like he did 10 years ago.

Archived