Dan Quinn, Jets coaching candidate, hoped to be paired with specific general manager, per report

Ken Schroy

Dan Quinn, Jets coaching candidate, hoped to be paired with specific general manager, per report

The Jets interviewed Seahawks defensive coordinator on Friday in Seattle, and they may have to wait a while till they can make him a job offer, assuming Quinn, a Morristown native, is the guy they want.

But there may be another hurdle to bringing Quinn back to North Jersey: According to a report from Pro Football Talk, Quinn had "a strong interest" in working with George Paton, the Vikings' assistant general manager. And while the Jets had hoped to talk to Paton, he took himself out of the running this week for both the Jets' and Bears' GM gigs. Of course, "strong interest" could mean many things, and the PFT report doesn't say whether Quinn insisted on being paired with Paton as a stipulation in taking any jobs. But last year, Quinn did tell Cleveland.com he "would have been interested" in taking a job with the Browns, had they made him an offer. And that gets to one of the issues any team interested in hiring Quinn now faces: If the Seahawks—the defending Super Bowl champs and this year's No. 1 seed in the NFC—reach the Super Bowl, Quinn can be brought in for a second interview by Jan. 25, but he cannot be offered a job until after the Seahawks' season is over. The Super Bowl is Feb. 1. As the architect of the Seahawks' fabulous defense, Quinn is the hottest coach candidate on the market. In addition to the Jets, he's also getting interest from the other four teams seeking head coaches: 49ers, Bears, Falcons, Bills.

The Jets interviewed Seahawks defensive coordinator on Friday in Seattle, and they may have to wait a while till they can make him a job offer, assuming Quinn, a Morristown native, is the guy they want.

But there may be another hurdle to bringing Quinn back to North Jersey: According to a report from Pro Football Talk, Quinn had "a strong interest" in working with George Paton, the Vikings' assistant general manager. And while the Jets had hoped to talk to Paton, he took himself out of the running this week for both the Jets' and Bears' GM gigs. Of course, "strong interest" could mean many things, and the PFT report doesn't say whether Quinn insisted on being paired with Paton as a stipulation in taking any jobs. But last year, Quinn did tell Cleveland.com he "would have been interested" in taking a job with the Browns, had they made him an offer. And that gets to one of the issues any team interested in hiring Quinn now faces: If the Seahawks—the defending Super Bowl champs and this year's No. 1 seed in the NFC—reach the Super Bowl, Quinn can be brought in for a second interview by Jan. 25, but he cannot be offered a job until after the Seahawks' season is over. The Super Bowl is Feb. 1. As the architect of the Seahawks' fabulous defense, Quinn is the hottest coach candidate on the market. In addition to the Jets, he's also getting interest from the other four teams seeking head coaches: 49ers, Bears, Falcons, Bills.

Who is making this report? 

What I see is "Jets fans seem to favor Quinn as the top choice" and "Paton decline interview with Jets" and NY Daily News trolling us with another fabrication.

The idea of a coach having a point of view on who the GM should be is going to make heads explode in the "hire a GM first" horde.

When hiring a GM, I'd like to be hiring a guy for the long term. Sure, you hope for that from a HC, too, but you go in knowing it's less likely. I'd be looking to hire a solid executive, who drafts well, and handles the other duties of the job well. A guy I'd be comfortable holding onto if the coach doesn't get the job done.

When you hire the coach first, and the GM is basically that coach's choice, you're looking at another house-cleaning if/when that coach doesn't work out.

Just another reason I'd be looking to bring in the strong executive first, and have him hire the coach. I'm sure Quinn's stock dropped a little bit around the league with this news.

When hiring a GM, I'd like to be hiring a guy for the long term. Sure, you hope for that from a HC, too, but you go in knowing it's less likely. I'd be looking to hire a solid executive, who drafts well, and handles the other duties of the job well. A guy I'd be comfortable holding onto if the coach doesn't get the job done.

When you hire the coach first, and the GM is basically that coach's choice, you're looking at another house-cleaning if/when that coach doesn't work out.

Just another reason I'd be looking to bring in the strong executive first, and have him hire the coach. I'm sure Quinn's stock dropped a little bit around the league with this news.

I dunno slats, I think in most cases you should be firing the GM/Coach together if it's not working anyway. 

Who is making this report? 

What I see is "Jets fans seem to favor Quinn as the top choice" and "Paton decline interview with Jets" and NY Daily News trolling us with another fabrication.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/01/dan_quinn_jets_coaching_candidate_hoped_to_be_paired_with_specific_general_manager_per_report.html#incart_river

Thanks!

Reading it, he says "strong interest" but nothing makes it feel like not having Paton is a deal-breaker. I guess we see how it plays out, but Quinn's in the driver's seat, given how hot his name has become this year.

I dunno slats, I think in most cases you should be firing the GM/Coach together if it's not working anyway.

The game you're probably watching right now features long-time GMs on their second coaches. A solid executive in place creates continuity. That's what I'd be hoping for every time I had to go back to the GM well.

Thanks!

Reading it, he says "strong interest" but nothing makes it feel like not having Paton is a deal-breaker. I guess we see how it plays out, but Quinn's in the driver's seat, given how hot his name has become this year.

No Problem. For what it's worth I agree. But if it is true that he has some preference, than he has reduced his opportunities big time.

The game you're probably watching right now features long-time GMs on their second coaches. A solid executive in place creates continuity. That's what I'd be hoping for every time I had to go back to the GM well.

Fair enough. 

Is this really anything of significance? I am sure all the coaches out there have a preference in their mind who they would like to work with.

If Quinn wants to be a HC, it's going to have to be without Paton.

Not sure why people think this. If Quinn has such a preference for Paton maybe it is the same for him, so if we get Quinn then Paton becomes available too and we have our QM/HC combo

Thing is Paton has declined all GM interviews requested by other teams. So, how does Quinn get to be paired with Paton unless Quinn goes to the Vikings to be the HC?.

Exactly why it says he "hoped" to be paired with him, not "he refuses to take a HC gig unless he gets Paton". 

The idea of a coach having a point of view on who the GM should be is going to make heads explode in the "hire a GM first" horde.

Boom. There goes my brain all over the screen. I cannot fathom that Woody Johnson would make the SAME MISTAKE TWICE IN A ROW. With different people involved but it is the same mistake. All Woody Johnson needs to do is make ONE HIRE. A GM. Then wave ta-ta to his 'consultants' and work with his new GM to hiring a coach that will make the Jets a contender. 

Slats has a point though.  If you let the coach call it, then you have to can your GM with the coach when the time comes----if it comes.  GMs--Idzik notwithstanding---are usually good for at least 2 coaches.  Continuity.  the other argument is sometimes owners feel compelled not to fire a GM they might feel is suspect because he has picked only one coach.

Archived