Rex Ryan/Bills Press Conference News (merged)

Bruce Harper

He had the same coaches here this year, they are enablers and failures. Roman is the 4th offensive coordinator Rex has had to hire with only 6 years as a coach. Rex has shown zero strength in terms of hiring the right people around him, aside from Karl Dunbar.

We just hired Aaron Kromer as an offensive line coach.  I like what I see about Greg Roman.  Our d line is in pretty good shape.  As everyone knows,  we need a QB

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a strong suspicion that we will be going for Mark Sanchez (just a hunch).  I am also anxious to see if we can build E.J. Manning, he's a great kid.

Manning?? Not yet he's still just Manuel to the rest of the League..LOL But he does have more tds then picks something we have a problem with..

The people here in Buffalo are just loving Rex.  Marrone was not a bad guy but didn't have much of a personality.  Rex is a welcomed change for us and he's putting together a really good team of coaches.  I think Todd Bowles will do the same for the Jets.  Remember,  we  (Jets and Bills) need to win a total of 4 games against the Patriots.....

Well you must be a jets fan plant pretending to be a Bills fan with that comment.

The people here in Buffalo are just loving Rex. Marrone was not a bad guy but didn't have much of a personality. Rex is a welcomed change for us and he's putting together a really good team of coaches. I think Todd Bowles will do the same for the Jets. Remember, we (Jets and Bills) need to win a total of 4 games against the Patriots.....

Jeanie, that is an awful team of coaches.

Who didn't love Rex when he first came to the Jets??

Well most of the national media but certainly almost all jets fans loved him.  However anyone that has really looked at his personality and his coaching ability sees the huge gap as big as a grand canyon.

Manning?? Not yet he's still just Manuel to the rest of the League..LOL But he does have more tds then picks something we have a problem with..

Thank you for the correction.  Big difference between Manning and Manuel but I do love E.J. Manuel   :love0040:

Jeanie, that is an awful team of coaches.

IDK Tom:  I am really liking Greg Roman and Aaron Kromer for the O.L.  I am not too concerned about our d line.  Honesty,  I think they look forward to more than 2 ground and 1 throw and punt on the 4th.

We just hired Aaron Kromer as an offensive line coach.  I like what I see about Greg Roman.  Our d line is in pretty good shape.  As everyone knows,  we need a QB

Yeah, good... you're already reciting the "Rex career extension" company line: "We need a QB"

When the Jets hired Rex, he inherited Bill Callahan as an offensive line coach. The years that Callahan was with the Jets were the ONLY years where Rex "got the offense he needed to be successful" in the form of a dominant running game. After those first 2 years, Rex started to make his mark on the roster and coaching staff. He chose to retain Brian Schottenheimer, the beleaguered offensive coordinator he inherited with the Jets job, who never seemed to put a whole offense together. Schotty's offenses were carried by Callahan's running game. 

Rex pretty much chased Callahan out of town. In the years since, the Jets haven't made a single good investment in the offensive line, and haven't been able to cobble any offense together at all... all of which is always pinned on "we need a QB". The reality is, you can generate offense in this league without a top tier QB, but you have to have some other major things in place to do so. Rex ran those other things out of town, and thus the OL, run game and pass protection suffered... but yeah, we need a QB.

Sorry.

Yeah, good... you're already reciting the "Rex career extension" company line: "We need a QB"

When the Jets hired Rex, he inherited Bill Callahan as an offensive line coach. The years that Callahan was with the Jets were the ONLY years where Rex "got the offense he needed to be successful" in the form of a dominant running game. After those first 2 years, Rex started to make his mark on the roster and coaching staff. He chose to retain Brian Schottenheimer, the beleaguered offensive coordinator he inherited with the Jets job, who never seemed to put a whole offense together. Schotty's offenses were carried by Callahan's running game. 

Rex pretty much chased Callahan out of town. In the years since, the Jets haven't made a single good investment in the offensive line, and haven't been able to cobble any offense together at all... all of which is always pinned on "we need a QB". The reality is, you can generate offense in this league without a top tier QB, but you have to have some other major things in place to do so. Rex ran those other things out of town, and thus the OL, run game and pass protection suffered... but yeah, we need a QB.

Sorry.

I am one of the people in Buffalo who thinks we need a good QB.  However,  there are those that  feel a mediocre QB will do if we have a good O.L.  Of course those who agree with the latter are figuring that we are going to play a ground and pound game and this is what Rex did promise.   I think Pegula's first objective is to build a championship team and the profits are secondary.  Pegula is also not afraid to spend money.  He will do whatever takes to get the best (QB) if that's possible in the 2015 season.   

Me.

Exactly, this why this pos (lol) rooted against the Jets in both tittle games because Rex was the HC.  I can imagine this guy jumping in his couch just like Tom Cruise when Shonn Greene got injured at the start of the third quarter against the Colts. 

Sorry.

But you were aboard when Idzik was building thru the drafts missing on every one there while saving Woody tons of millions by being smart not invest in anybody.   

But you were aboard when Idzik was building thru the drafts missing on every one there while saving Woody tons of millions by being smart not invest in anybody.   

I've already eaten crow, without anyone pushing me to, about the supportive attitude I had towards Idzik. One thing I will not do that on is supporting the concept of building through the draft. As a philosophy, it is the right one. You have to de-couple the philosophy from the execution. Idzik and Rex failed at the latter.

The Jets as a whole have done nothing but fail at building through the draft since Parcells left, quite frankly.  

I would add that despite being supportive of Idzik in his sophomore season, I also called for him to make moves he did not. Chief among them was on the offensive line. Adding Breno, I thought he did okay. I crossed my fingers and hoped that between Winters and Aboushi from his first draft there was more there. I really soured on the whole situation when he re-signed Colon. 

It's always funny when some of you "select few" try to throw Idzik in my face. His first draft was good. He earned benefit of the doubt and patience at the time I was advocating for it, which was the summer. The reality is that Rex's staff, combined with the roster we carried into this season, couldn't sustain an all around failure of an off-season by Idzik. Some teams, coaches, are strong enough to endure a bad off-season. Idzik did us a favor, he exposed every level of weakness we had in this organization... going all the way up to Woody, the guy making the hires.

Exactly, this why this pos (lol) rooted against the Jets in both tittle games because Rex was the HC.  I can imagine this guy jumping in his couch just like Tom Cruise when Shonn Greene got injured at the start of the third quarter against the Colts. 

DESPICABLE PERSONAL ATTACK!!!!

EVERYBODY LOOK!!!!

Oh, because you wrote "lol" it means it's okay to call Tom a piece of sh*t. Got it, I'm going to have to add that into my bag of tricks.

Oh, because you wrote "lol" it means it's okay to call Tom a piece of sh*t. Got it, I'm going to have to add that into my bag of tricks.

I know Integrated, why attack the poster? well, its because he has no argument other than the regurgitated eleventy billion times battle cry of ''two back to back afccg losses with a sh*tty qb''! like that is supposed to be impressive.

I know Integrated, why attack the poster? well, its because he has no argument other than the regurgitated eleventy billion times battle cry of ''two back to back afccg losses with a sh*tty qb''! like that is supposed to be impressive.

I just don't get it. I mean, this very same guy has narc'ed on me for "personally attacking" him several times. Whether via PM that he later denies, or in-thread, he never misses an opportunity to point it out if someone call him dumb. Yet, he can call Tom a piece of fecal matter, which I think might be worse than dumb, and because he writes "lol" it's okay. 

Can you please start using the phrase ' rexyhater' again? I miss it.

Is that the best you can come up with? So you think you got your gotcha moment?  :drown: 

There was an occasion when Shame posted an explicit post in one of my thread that I did not took it lightly.  We cleared the misunderstanding as part of a joke and from there on he has makes joke about me and vice versa.  :animal0029:

I just don't get it. I mean, this very same guy has narc'ed on me for "personally attacking" him several times. Whether via PM that he later denies, or in-thread, he never misses an opportunity to point it out if someone call him dumb. Yet, he can call Tom a piece of fecal matter, which I think might be worse than dumb, and because he writes "lol" it's okay. 

Say what? when had I ever pm you?   :^o

Is that the best you can come up with? So you think you got your gotcha moment? :drown:

There was an occasion when Shame posted an explicit post in one of my thread that I did not took it lightly. We cleared the misunderstanding as part of a joke and from there on he has makes joke about me and vice versa. :animal0029:

It's called satire. I'm not trying to get you banned, Sally.

Yes.  If you have a differing view please take the time to post and defend.

If you want to pin it on one single person Woody is your guy.  Every time he gets involved it becomes a disaster.  He was the one behind so many of the screw ups for years to get us where we are today, for example:

- Pull Brett Favre out of retirement for one year and not draft a QB (that was the year we drafted Gholston) when we could have had Flacco.  Next year we end up giving up draft picks and players to get Sanchez.

- Sign Santonio Holmes to a huge contract resulting in us dropping the following productive players from the AFCCG team, over the next two years: Damien Woody, LT, Tony Richardson, Braylon Edwards, Brandon Moore, Matt Slausen, Jericho Cotchery,  Brian Hartsock.  D. Woody was replalced by Wayne Hunter and with no backs, or TEs that could block and no receiver to throw to Sanchez was geting killed.  In the meantime, Holmes reverted to his cancer self, then was injured, he never had a productive season after signing that contract, what a mess.

- Forced the signing of Tim Tebow, which is when the Jets Circus started.

- Forced the trade of Revis, in and of itself not a horrible thing, but after the following year we drop Cromartie and we blow off Revis when he says he'd like to come back.  Goodbye Jets season, hello Superbowl Patriots.

- At the end of all this Woody's justification for firing Rex is because Rex wasn't vocal enough to stop the madness.  Give me a break. 

It's so clear to me what the issue has been all along, but since we can't fire the owner folks on this board need other scapegoats.   Woody's name should have been trailing behind the plane right along with Idzik and to this day he remains the same arrogant, reactive, meddling owner.  Need proof?  Now Bowles reports directly to Woody,  What will he do next.  How about letting the people you hire do their job.

Woody is a fool, but your complaint list is mostly (if not 100% entirely) fiction.

While I've little doubt Woody likes his big-name QBs, so do lots of teams. I can't find fault with him or Tannenbaum showing interest (and prevailing over another interested team; an area we often lost). We had a good roster on paper except for QB; it was an obvious fit if we could pull it off. All we had was pick-6 Pennington and freaking Clemens. Giving the green light to picking up Favre was to Woody's credit, not detriment. It's not like he was the one negotiating with GB in any case.

Favre was not pulled out of retirement by the Jets. He had already un-retired, was reinstated by Goodell, and already flew back up to GB to report to camp there. We traded for him a few days later.

I don't know where in the world you get the idea that Woody Johnson was behind the drafting of Vernon Gholston. That's a new one. I'm not fully convinced Johnson could even spell Gholston.

Flacco was drafted 2.5 months before Favre un-retired, and 3.5 months before the Jets traded for Favre. Suggesting we picked up Favre, with the intention of keeping him for 1 year, and then not backing it up with Flacco at #6, is contradictory to history. And where did you get it from that we only wanted Favre for 1 season? Because Favre retired again on cue?

And another thing: Flacco at #6 only works in hindsight. At the time, on draft day, taking him at #6 would have been patently ridiculous. He was a 3rd round prospect who had never faced a competitive defense. As the draft approached, he moved up to being as high as the low-mid 20s. As it was, Baltimore took him higher than he was expected to go at (#18). Hell, they had the #8 pick, badly wanted Flacco, and they didn't take him 2 picks after us (they traded down to #26 before trading back up to #18). Passing off taking him at #6 like it was some sort of no-brainer is garbage. Like you or anyone on planet earth advocated such a pick at #6 at the time. 

And I'm only up to your first bullet-point. The rest of your list, featuring an empty-headed Woody Johnson as the master string-puller, or frankly any involvement at all in these transactions, has no factual basis. 

Trading Revis I'm sure was his preference after 2 holdouts plus a threatened 3rd one, but if it was such a forced move then Idzik wouldn't have dared risk losing the only potential trade partner he had by playing hardball like he did with Tampa. Idzik is no master negotiator (it turns out): he draws a line in the sand and sticks to it for better or worse. He said he wanted a #1 pick, just for starters, or we're keeping him. If we didn't get Tampa to cave on giving up their #13 pick plus more, with the draft only 3 days away, Revis wouldn't have been traded. If Woody's command was to get Revis off his team, the potential scenario of keeping him wouldn't have been permitted.

The only things there's any clear/real evidence of being all-Woody, beyond imaginary speculation, was in:

1. Firing Mangini (good move)

2. Firing Tannenbaum (good move)

3. Retaining Ryan when he fired Tannenbaum (bad move)

Woody the marionette puppeteer behind all the deals and draft picks? Don't make me laugh. The guy can't even get through a conversation with the Jets' Cro-Magnon beat reporters without facepalming us into talking about acquiring another team's under-contract player for the 2nd time in the same NFL season.

Wow. 

Over your head, completely.

Either stop digging this hole of yours, or sign up for Bills board be gone.

Kinda moved from thinking you're quite wrong(and you are) to thinking there are ...issues.

Rex is gone. 

We had a few weeks of 2 minutes of hate on his way out.

And it's done. From now on he's the coach of the Bills, and I don't much care except when the Bills play the Jets.

This is the toy department of life. Speaking of which, head down to 7/11 or your local market or gas station and get some perspective, perhaps in the adult beverage aisle. Chill the eff out. 

Archived