Jets denied request to interview Falcons ST Coordinator

DaBallhawk

Is there anything we can do to get him? If he wants out? Falcons special teams unit was pretty good last year but they also had Hester so that was a little expected. Doesn't look like we're gonna go after Westhoff though. :D

Is there anything we can do to get him? If he wants out? Falcons special teams unit was pretty good last year but they also had Hester so that was a little expected. Doesn't look like we're gonna go after Westhoff though. :D

No. However, the new Atlanta HC may not want him and then lets him go.

No

If he is under contract, an interview for anything short of head coach can be denied

Falcons blocking assistants from interviewing elsewhere

Posted by Josh Alper on January 15, 2015, 6:27 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjGetty Images

The Falcons may not have a head coach, but they have some assistants that they aren’t willing to let interview for other jobs while they wait to hire Mike Smith’s replacement.

D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the team has blocked special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong from interviewing with the Jets and offensive line coach Mike Tice from interviewing for the same position with the Raiders. Tice worked for new Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio when Del Rio was in Jacksonville, but owner Arthur Blank said when Smith was fired that the team wanted their assistants under contract to be available for interviews with a new head coach whenever they hire a head coach.

“There’s only a handful of coaches who are not under contract currently for [2015],” Blank said. “Obviously, whoever the next head coach is, we will expect that individual to carefully assess our coaching staff, and we have a lot of very fine coaches. Whether or not if they all fit with their philosophies and style, etc. of the new head coach, only time will tell. I think that’s a decision that the new head coach will make. We certainly will make that staff available to whomever we select.”

The Falcons were willing to let offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter interview and leave for the same job with the Buccaneers, but it seems they have a stronger desire to hold onto Armstrong and Tice.

I understand they are under contract but why hold back people from other opportunities especially knowing a new coach may go in a different direction. On that note I was also wondering if the NFL has given any thought to its hiring practices for coaches. I totally understand that they do not want a coach to be hired for another team while they are currently coaching in the playoffs. It could be a conflict of interest and a distraction. However it is unfair for someone like Dan Quinn who many teams will pass on because they can't wait for Seattle to be eliminated or win the SB. im just using Quinn as an example and he probably will get the Atl job but it would be good if all candidates had a fair crack at any open position.

With that said, I'm glad we got Bowles so this current setup worked in his favor IF Quiin was the Jets first choice.

The Falcons are wise to hold onto their assistants, especially if they expect their coaching search to last until after the Super Bowl. It's hard for a new coach to fill out a coaching staff that late in the game. Keeping their coaches under contract gives the new guy a pool of talent to pick thru. The special teams coach, especially, is the type of guy a new coach is likely to keep. He's done a good job, and there are no potential philosophical issues like there are with OCs and DCs.

The Falcons are wise to hold onto their assistants, especially if they expect their coaching search to last until after the Super Bowl. It's hard for a new coach to fill out a coaching staff that late in the game. Keeping their coaches under contract gives the new guy a pool of talent to pick thru. The special teams coach, especially, is the type of guy a new coach is likely to keep. He's done a good job, and there are no potential philosophical issues like there are with OCs and DCs.

Yup, if they don't get Quinn or Teryl, they might be stuck promoting from within because of how late in the game it'll be. I hope this is what happens and then 5 years from now the talk in Atlanta is about the twist in fate that was Woody Johnson taking the initiative to jump in front of them and steal 2 time SB winning coach Todd Bowles.

Yup, if they don't get Quinn or Teryl, they might be stuck promoting from within because of how late in the game it'll be. I hope this is what happens and then 5 years from now the talk in Atlanta is about the twist in fate that was Woody Johnson taking the initiative to jump in front of them and steal 2 time SB winning coach Todd Bowles.

That would totally make up for Brett Favre.

I understand they are under contract but why hold back people from other opportunities especially knowing a new coach may go in a different direction. On that note I was also wondering if the NFL has given any thought to its hiring practices for coaches. I totally understand that they do not want a coach to be hired for another team while they are currently coaching in the playoffs. It could be a conflict of interest and a distraction. However it is unfair for someone like Dan Quinn who many teams will pass on because they can't wait for Seattle to be eliminated or win the SB. im just using Quinn as an example and he probably will get the Atl job but it would be good if all candidates had a fair crack at any open position.

With that said, I'm glad we got Bowles so this current setup worked in his favor IF Quiin was the Jets first choice.

Because they are under contract, if the new HC does not want them they still get paid. Why don't you let Snacks come play for the pats, he might not fit the new defense and he is not even under contract for next year. .

But it also screws those assistants royally.  If they are waiting around to hire Quinn, then those assistants that Quinn doesn't want will have slim pickings, if anything, to interview for around the league.  I understand why the Falcons are denying access and it makes sense from management's point of view, but if I were one of those assistants, I would be pissed.

But it also screws those assistants royally.  If they are waiting around to hire Quinn, then those assistants that Quinn doesn't want will have slim pickings, if anything, to interview for around the league.  I understand why the Falcons are denying access and it makes sense from management's point of view, but if I were one of those assistants, I would be pissed.

I agree completely.

When word broke that Woody might just fire Idzik and keep Rex until a new GM was hired, Rex wanted out immediately. No one wants to be in limbo like that. The special teams coach is probably an odds on favorite to stick, but the rest of them are on very shaky ground.

No

If he is under contract, an interview for anything short of head coach can be denied

Looks like Westoff is enjoying Retirement.  I would like to get the Atlanta ST guy...... last year our Special Teams were pretty bad---  can't have blocked kicks, poor punting at critical times.

Archived