*****Official Super Bowl 49 Game Thread*****

JoeC36

congratulations to the patriots fans that are not annoying troll douchebags like our friends here

congratulations to the patriot players like ninkovich that aren't annoying scumbag cheaters

that's the best you're gonna get outta me, lol

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol

Carroll, Seahawks Make ‘Worst Call In Super Bowl History’
February 1, 2015 8:21 PM
462644352.jpg?w=594&h=349&crop=1

SEATTLE, WA – FEBRUARY 1: Seattle Seahawks fan Sheila Delrio reacts late in Super Bowl XLIX at Quality Athletics on February 1, 2015 in Seattle, Washington. Fans gathered in homes and bars across the city to watch the Seahawks take on the New England Patriots. (Photo by David Ryder/Getty Images)

You've Earned Points for Reading!Claim points in our Reward Center, and earn more tomorrow.Claim Points

Bryan Altman, CBS Local Sports

While the statement might sound hyperbolic, it might just be entirely accurate. The Seahawks’ bizarre decision to throw the ball from the one yard line and not hand off to Marshawn Lynch, one of the most physically imposing running backs in football,will certainly be scrutinized for a very, very long time. Thanks to the social media driven world we live in, the critics have already begun to opine on the matter.

Here’s what they had to say:

Sidney Rice wouldn’t have thrown it to himself or anyone else named Rice.

Jacoby Ellsbury, asking the right questions.

I don’t think that’s how it works, but it could be the only possible explanation.

Some well-timed Deflate-gate humor.

I think we all know the answer to this one.

To his credit, Pete Carroll has taken full credit for the decision to throw the ball and has defended the play call in all of his post-game interviews. If this truly goes down in history as one of the worst plays ever, at least Carroll is accepting the blame and defending his decision, even though it’s fairly obvious that it wasn’t the right one.

I don't see why Wilson is absolved here. He's well within his right to handoff there, or just not make that throw.

Sure, but giving a 25 year old a play call in which he's got the chance to throw a SB winning TD pass with time running out is probably too hard for him to pass up by checking to a run.

+ I believe NE was in base goaline, so there'd be no reason too if the OC call pass

nothing comes even close. NOTHING. The formation. EVERYTHING

UnitedWhofans, on 01 Feb 2015 - 7:28 PM, said:

And they didn't even look like they were going to run. They set up in a passing set. Ridiculous.

WRONG. Lynch was set back on Wilson's left, slightly behind him.  

I don't see why Wilson is absolved here. He's well within his right to handoff there, or just not make that throw.

It was a bang-bang play Seattle ran often. Butler hit Lockette's shoulder right as the ball arrived causing Lockette to whiff.

If the throw was closer to Lockette's body he might've caught it. Ball was up for grabs high and outside.  

It was a bang-bang play Seattle ran often. Butler hit Lockette's shoulder right as the ball arrived causing Lockette to whiff.

u run there, but IF u throw, u NEVER throw in middle,, u throw fade thats a TD or out of bounds,,too many bad things can happen when u throw in middle

It's amazing the small things that separate Brady and Co. from being the Dynasty/GOAT they are now, and being the losingest team in Super Bowl History.

A stop at the one vs. the Rams.

A last second long FG here or there.

Now the dumbest playcall in SB History.

Amazing luck.

If the throw was closer to Lockette's body he might've caught it. Ball was up for grabs high and outside.  

Receiver slowed down and didn't run through his route

It was actually an early hit but Butler had the right to the ball.

Yes but jsut before the receive slowed downa nd tried to catch it on his outside shoulder.. which was the side the DB was coming from. He runs through and catches it in his gut, the Pat player can't get to it.

bad job by the wr, great job by the CB

Did you watch the game?

no

:26

http://youtu.be/WERRBZySOq0

Ok, so you guys are saying, well, since they ran out of that read option play all day, one could say, there was still an option to run out of that ridiculous formation on the goal line with the super bowl on the line. Cheers. I'll stand by everything about that call, including the formation, being absolutely ridiculous. 

2nd and goal on the 1 yard line and you two have no problem with the formation because Lynch was to the left of Wilson in SHOTGUN? On the 1 yard line! You're ok with that formation? 

Ok sweet, good job. YOu're right. I mean, it was obviously the right call. ;/

Oh, you've never seen a shotgun handoff before? Er ... ok. LOL!

It wasn't an empty backfield or an obvious pass play as you implied. But nice spin.

Oh, you've never seen a shotgun handoff before? Er ... ok. LOL!

It wasn't an empty backfield or an obvious pass play as you implied. But nice spin.

Don't spin the argument. Nobody said nor implied it was an empty backfield or that nobody has ever run out of a one back shotgun formation. 

The argument was that it was an horrendous set and play to run with 30 secs left on the 1 yard line with the best RB in football and SB on the line. I mean horrendous. The formation...horrendous....the call....even worse. 

It was a strange/crap formation to call on the 1 and even worse call. Not that difficult to digest by everyone but you. 

How you don't bring a lead blocker in and drive it home is beyond words. Then AT LEAST if you throw it's with some balls off PA. 

2nd and goal on the 1 yard line and you two have no problem with the formation because Lynch was to the left of Wilson in SHOTGUN? On the 1 yard line! You're ok with that formation? 

Ok sweet, good job. YOu're right. I mean, it was obviously the right call. ;/

ummmm

ok?

ummmm

ok?

Larz....Shotgun on the 1 yard line???? On 2nd down with all the momentum and the SB on the line? You want to either run a read option or pass it in a 3 WR set there???? You don't want to bring in your FB and punch it in easily on 2nd down???? Or, at least score off the easy PA....as they did in the 3rd qt????

Really?? Really???? 

wow.

Larz....Shotgun on the 1 yard line???? On 2nd down with all the momentum and the SB on the line? You want to either run a read option or pass it in a 3 WR set there???? You don't want to bring in your FB and punch it in easily on 2nd down???? Or, at least score off the easy PA....as they did in the 3rd qt????

Really?? Really???? 

wow.

the idea was either take a shot at an open WR or throw it away on 2nd down and run it on 3rd down and 4th down according to carroll.  wilson took a chance, and put the ball in a less than an ideal spot

the formation was not the problem in the end

butler made the play, wilson and lockette did not

Don't spin the argument. Nobody said nor implied it was an empty backfield or that nobody has ever run out of a one back shotgun formation. 

The argument was that it was an horrendous set and play to run with 30 secs left on the 1 yard line with the best RB in football and SB on the line. I mean horrendous. The formation...horrendous....the call....even worse. 

It was a strange/crap formation to call on the 1 and even worse call. Not that difficult to digest by everyone but you. 

How you don't bring a lead blocker in and drive it home is beyond words. Then AT LEAST if you throw it's with some balls off PA. 

LOL ... you go from desperate spin to blatant lying.

The argument was, and still is, you and UWF said it was an obvious pass formation. 

There was nothing wrong with the formation.

UnitedWhofans, on 01 Feb 2015 - 7:28 PM, said:

And they didn't even look like they were going to run. They set up in a passing set. Ridiculous.

Let's see how you bend the truth now ...

the idea was either take a shot at an open WR or throw it away on 2nd down and run it on 3rd down and 4th down according to carroll.  wilson took a chance, and put the ball in a less than an ideal spot

the formation was not the problem in the end

butler made the play, wilson and lockette did not

meh....meeeeeeh. Look, I posted it right before the play, just being fair bc this wasn't a knee-jerk. Bring in your lead blocker, line up mano y mano and give it to the best RB in football in 3 shots from the 1 freaking yard line and Fin, you win the fucing Super Bowl.

Don't get coy, stop outthinking yourself and win the ******* game. 

I consider it absolutely a great combination of idiocy. 

You and the other annoying poster guy wanted to turn this semantical, whether or not a 3 WR set in shotgun formation was a passing vs. goal line formation or not. 

Bottom line is everything about the call sucked from start to finish. 

meh....meeeeeeh. Look, I posted it right before the play, just being fair bc this wasn't a knee-jerk. Bring in your lead blocker, line up mano y mano and give it to the best RB in football in 3 shots from the 1 freaking yard line and Fin, you win the fucing Super Bowl.

You and the other annoying poster guy wanted to turn this semantical, whether or not a 3 WR set in shotgun formation was a passing vs. goal line formation or not. 

This   times 1000.  You have arguably the greatest running QB in the last 25 years if not ever, Lynch etc.   Run the fukkin ball.

I don't know what you are arguing anymore.

It wasn't the formation, it was how it was executed is my point.

if you need a scapegoat for the play, I would suggest wilson and lockette before bevell.  Last night I was killing bevell, but I read carrolls comments and looked at the replay.  

In the end, Butler made the play is the story

Archived