Cobb close to agreeing w/Raiders

prime21

Marshall certainly had an off year, he's always been higher in DYAR than DVOA, probably because the insane amount of times Cutler forces it to him, but if he can return top 25 DYAR for $7ish million in this market, I'd consider that okay.  He's most likely on his best behavior year one and being on a relatively shorter contract, I don't see us regretting this move that much.  Or we do, a lot, and it's entertaining.

If hes healthy theres no way you regret this move. The guy is a possession type beast that we have needed for years and fits nicely with a running team if that's the route we take the offense

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philly wont deal with Oakland if they feel they can deal with the Jets .... Oakland will want more compensation in picks the Jets however would want Foles and some picks which will lessen the amount of draft picks they have to give up to move in for Mariota.

Also if the Jets do have the option between Cooper and White I think White is the better WR Bigger Faster Cooper will wind up dropping IMO. Also if the Jets trade out and Both WR;s are gone they may go RB which I hope they do because they could use a real threat at the RB position ...Im talking a Marshall Faulk/Jamal Charles type threat that would open up the entire offense then use Ivory to shut games out in the 4th

BTW Cooper beat White at Combine, watch the simulcast and Savage timed Coop at 4.35 and White is a 1 yr wonder so far,Carr would desire Coop's route tree over whites

Yeah, except the quantifiable ones.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Yes, Cobb had a better season last year with Marshall hobbled for almost literally the entire season.

Let's look at since 2012, since that is when Cobb broke out. I'd say three years is a decent enough sample size.

Marshall: 279-3,524-31

Cobb: 202-2,674-24

Granted, Cobb did miss 11 games over this time period, compared to Marshall's three. However, I think that's negated by the best QB on the f*cking planet throwing to Cobb while Jay Cutler and Josh McCown were throwing at Marshall. Cobb has never in his life been a true number one receiver. He's been a second option with the world's best QB throwing him the ball. Marshall has been "the guy" since 2007 and done it with a multitude of different, sh*tty QBs.

Marshall certainly had an off year, he's always been higher in DYAR than DVOA, probably because the insane amount of times Cutler forces it to him, but if he can return top 25 DYAR for $7ish million in this market, I'd consider that okay.  He's most likely on his best behavior year one and being on a relatively shorter contract, I don't see us regretting this move that much.  Or we do, a lot, and it's entertaining.

It's the Jets dude. 100% chance it's the latter and whomever is drafted at or around that slot winds up being awesome.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by assets, you mean hot woman right?

I like that you wrote this in Borat speak.

Yes, Cobb had a better season last year with Marshall hobbled for almost literally the entire season.

Let's look at since 2012, since that is when Cobb broke out. I'd say three years is a decent enough sample size.

Marshall: 279-3,524-31

Cobb: 202-2,674-24

Granted, Cobb did miss 11 games over this time period, compared to Marshall's three. However, I think that's negated by the best QB on the f*cking planet throwing to Cobb while Jay Cutler and Josh McCown were throwing at Marshall. Cobb has never in his life been a true number one receiver. He's been a second option with the world's best QB throwing him the ball. Marshall has been "the guy" since 2007.

He's 31 with a bum hip. Projecting numbers from 3 years ago is about as unmathy as you can possibly get.

Also, those are replacement and value stats, the QB is already controlled for.

Cobb > Marshall. And could have been had for similar money less the pick.

Brandon Marshall is a number 1 Wr, while Randall Cobb probably isn't one. if both were the same age it wouldn't even be a question of which Wr you prefer. Randall Cobb is 24 (25) , while Brandon Marshall is 31 years old. Cobb hasn't hit his prime yet , and Marshall is on borrow time. . That would be the only reason you would take Cobb over Marshall.

Brandon Marshall is a number 1 Wr, while Randall Cobb probably isn't one. if both were the same age it wouldn't even be a question of which Wr you prefer. Randall Cobb is 24 (25) , while Brandon Marshall is 31 years old. Cobb hasn't hit his prime yet , and Marshall on borrow time. . That would be the only reason you would take Cobb over Marshall.

I hate it when players are on borrow time.

I hate the Marshall trade because I hate trading picks for vets almost as much as I hate Brandon Marshall, but it may be a one-year hold-the-fort move that allows us to improve without sacrificing future flexibility (as opposed to signing Cobb et al, who are looking for big money over multiple years). I still hate the trade, but if we're looking for logic, that's my best guess.

I hate the Marshall trade because I hate trading picks for vets almost as much as I hate Brandon Marshall, but it may be a one-year hold-the-fort move that allows us to improve without sacrificing future flexibility (as opposed to signing Cobb et al, who are looking for big money over multiple years). I still hate the trade, but if we're looking for logic, that's my best guess.

Sure, but who cares? The Jets have to overspend on a few guys to meet the threshold, so frontload that bitch. Better to give up lots of money than lots of money and a pick.

If Cooper is on the board at 6 this better not prevent us from drafting him.

He's 31 with a bum hip. Projecting numbers from 3 years ago is about as unmathy as you can possibly get.

Also, those are replacement and value stats, the QB is already controlled for.

I'm not sure how math equates for when guys are playing injured. Obviously, Cobb has a much longer career ahead of him than Marshall does. That doesn't change that Marshall was and still is an elite WR when healthy and Cobb has never even been his team's number one option. I'll guarantee you that if Cobb ends up in Oakland and both stay healthy, Marshall will put up bigger numbers than Cobb next season and it does not matter who the hell our QB is.

Reports are out there that Brandon Marshall can make way more than 15.7 million he was to make with Bears.( coming to the Jets ). So your looking at least a two year deal .

I'm not sure how math equates for when guys are playing injured. Obviously, Cobb has a much longer career ahead of him than Marshall does. That doesn't change that Marshall was and still is an elite WR when healthy and Cobb has never even been his team's number one option. I'll guarantee you that if Cobb ends up in Oakland and both stay healthy, Marshall will put up bigger numbers than Cobb next season and it does not matter who the hell our QB is.

Cobb> Nelson and it is not close and I follow packers, kids a stud

Reports are out there that Brandon Marshall can make way more than 15.7 million he was to make with Bears.( coming to the Jets ). So your looking at least a two year deal .

His guaranteed money is done after this season, so we can cut him without any penalty.

Yep, 'cause Raiders won't want Foles which means Eagles need to give ALL Draft picks to move up thatmuch.

Eagles may still trade Foles to Jets for a 3rd after getting Marriota and signing Sanchez

Yep that is the dilemma for iggles

His guaranteed money is done after this season, so we can cut him without any penalty.

So at least we have that.  I mean, we cut a fourth round pick before the season started last year, sooo cutting our 5th round equivalent after just one season would be a step in the right direction of some sorts, right? I'll chalk that up to progress. 

Archived