REVIS IS FREE!!!!!! (ok, he will be Tuesday 4pm)......(All things Revis in here)

TNJet

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I do not necessarily want to sign Revis, out ridiculous amount of cap space makes it possible without mortgaging the future if you can get Revis to buy into the value of the contract over 3 years with small salaries in years 2 and 3.

If there was any chance of this happening then the Patriots would have already announced their new contract with Revis a month ago.

You've almost solved the riddle . In today's NFL its not impossible but verrrrrrrrrry hard to win w/o that franchise QB. We can have the 86 Bears defense but with an O that can't put up points its not looking good. 

Spend the money you'd overspend on the Top tier DB's ( Revis/McCourty) and solidify the OL - which would be a key step in helping whoever plays QB this year for the Jets.

And Spending money foolishly has never equated to winning in the NFL - if so the Redskins and Raiders would be perennial SB champs.

I say we don't even show up to the Pats games next year. Mail in the season, mail refund checks for that game and don't try to compete until the Groundhog sees his shadow.

What is foolish is all relative and by the way, if you look at recent Super Bowls, all of the teams involved had some of the highest payrolls in the league. I know the Seahawks and Broncos were one and two (or the Chiefs were two that year but they were both in the top three)

Spending foolishly and spending a lot are not the same thing. Not spending can be just as foolish. Look at the roster we had last year. That's called Not Spending Foolishly. Raiders last year? Same boat.

With the way the salary cap has been going up in recent years and will continue to do so, plus the fact that there has never been a situation in the NFL like the one we are seeing under the current CBA, no one has ANY IDEA what constitutes spending foolishly. Look at the contracts being talked about already these past few days in the BML (Brewster's Millions League). We are in uncharted water and if spending a few extra million will serve the dual purpose of keeping a player the caliber of Darrelle Revis out of your main rival's hands and into yours, then you have to do it if you can (and we can, big time) and definitely if YOU MUST. The player's union was not stupid, they knew what these next two years were going to be like and now the CBA is bearing fruit for them. Good on them and anyone that realized you can't play by yesterday's rules.

Because while we have the money for it,  McCourty and especially Revis's contracts won't look like the "team" friendly ones that we have for Harvin and Marshall , they'll come with guaranteed $$$ and will limit what the Jets can do when they'll really need $$ again in 2-3 years. We have 50M in cap dollars but its not as simple as going out and spending that 50M haphazardly.

Everyone always wants the big name top of the heap FA , but never look at the future ramifications of signing them - ask Dan Snyder how that works out.

If this was pre salary cap football I'd love Revis back but in reality the Jets don't need Revis right now , they need a steady starting CB or 2  that can grow and develop under Bowles giving time to allow MacDougle/Millner and what ever other young CB's come our way. They need to build the team with cap friendly deals so if/when we land a franchise QB - we can go all in for a SB run. 

This makes to much sense.  Word on the street is mac N Bowles will revamp the secondary.  They need to sign 2 corners AND a safety AND a nickel corner.  That alone is a lot of cash.  No way you can totally revamp the secondary by signing Revis.  He will command to much money.  To get all nostalgic and sign Revis now to a big contract is foolish seeing how we don't even have a NFL ready QB to lead this team.  If Revis is signed then Mac BETTER get a NFL ready QB NOW. If Mariota is signed  he will take time (a few years) to develop.  By then Revis' better years will be behind him.     

No that's the point the NFL has essentially neutered the effectiveness of shutdown corners - making them less valuable.

Did you notice the cornerbacks in the super bowl?  Revis, Sherman, Maxwell, Browner.   Vontae Davis, Tramon WIlliams and Talib made deep runs.  Yep, those teams spending on CBs sure look stupid now!

Revis and his agents are all about $$$ , his contract will not be team friendly in any shape or form .

nor should it be. he is the best corner in this free agent class. with the cap rising, cap floors needing to be met, and a lot of teams having a lot of money to spend, there is a reason the contracts we are hearing about seem very high

The problem with loading Revis' contract in upfront guarantees is that, after the first year when he's gotten all of his guaranteed money, he'll hold out.  And then it'll be whether or not Maccagnan wants to give in to his latest demands or let him walk.  Revis will try to tie up as much of the cap space as humanly possible for his own bank account each and every year, regardless of what's actually written in his contract.  They can try to load it with upfront guarantees, but all that guarantees is that first year, and then we're back to the same old BS that Revis always does, which is to pitch a royal fit like a 2 year old until he gets his way the next time.

by my account, the dude held out twice. one could make an argument that he was right doing so both times

with the amount of cap money on hand, both positions can easily be upgraded

Yes...

For some reason people are afraid to spend our money as if we have an alternative plan.  Saving cap money for the sake of saving cap money just doesn't make sense.  I can totally understand if there's a long term plan because you have a young QB and want to build intelligently around him.

We don't - 

Yes, I understand it's a long shot to win with a power defense, some offensive weapons and a game managing QB - but at least there's some shot.  The other way you're sitting around, in good cap shape, with a team with no impact players, winning 4-8 games a year hoping you eventually hit on the QB.  

Point is, if you eventually hit on a QB - you'll have 15 years to build a team around him.  So let's at least try right now.

This makes to much sense.  Word on the street is mac N Bowles will revamp the secondary.  They need to sign 2 corners AND a safety AND a nickel corner.  That alone is a lot of cash.  No way you can totally revamp the secondary by signing Revis.  He will command to much money.  To get all nostalgic and sign Revis now to a big contract is foolish seeing how we don't even have a NFL ready QB to lead this team.  If Revis is signed then Mac BETTER get a NFL ready QB NOW. If Mariota is signed  he will take time (a few years) to develop.  By then Revis' better years will be behind him.     

It's impossible to have a team with all or even most of it's players in their prime simultaneously. Accept that fact and you will be free.

We can only do the best we can in any given situation. The best we can do in the current situation is to sign Revis.

If the jets pay Revis 4 years and 60 mill, they can get him. I am figuring the pats would go 4 and average 12.5M  with cap hits of (12, 14,14, 15) and a 20 mill SB.  This includes the 5 mill they owe already.  This makes him the highest paid, which is what he wants and he gets to stay and play with Brady his last 3 years.  I don't think a 10% premium will get him to leave the pats more like 20%.

Yes...

For some reason people are afraid to spend our money as if we have an alternative plan.  Saving cap money for the sake of saving cap money just doesn't make sense.  I can totally understand if there's a long term plan because you have a young QB and want to build intelligently around him.

We don't - 

Yes, I understand it's a long shot to win with a power defense, some offensive weapons and a game managing QB - but at least there's some shot.  The other way you're sitting around, in good cap shape, with a team with no impact players, winning 4-8 games a year hoping you eventually hit on the QB.  

Point is, if you eventually hit on a QB - you'll have 15 years to build a team around him.  So let's at least try right now.

you must try every year to improve your team as much as you can, with the hand you are dealt. that should ALWAYS  be the formula. some people say spending money without a franchise qb at the helm is a waste. that's total b.s. without a legit qb, I totally agree a power running game and a strong defense is the best option for winning in this league. some posters say that spending money on name players at positions of need is foolishly spending money without a legit qb. I guess the same could be said for re-signing players like mo wilks and Sheldon. why do it without a franchise qb? geeze

No one left to sign, May as well be Revi$. Although the tampering charge will cost us if we do get him.

I don't think it makes it a worse case if the jets sign him.  The pats are going to say that woody saying he would pay the 2 year 32 mill was the reason why he would not / hurt the pats negotiating with him.  Once the pats let him go to FA any team has free access to his services.

No one left to sign, May as well be Revi$. Although the tampering charge will cost us if we do get him.

Not sure its an automatic penalty if he signs with us.   He is under contract with NE and they in theory are making the decision not to honor the contractt by cutting him (they both knew the 20 mil had to be renegotiated when the contact was signed.)

I can't stand the attitude that suggests if we don't go spend on this absurdly-priced (for us) 1 year luxury, when we won't realistically contend with or without that player, that it's some tragedy and akin to not fielding a team.

Look at the teams that are close to their spending limit. You can't just say, "Oh the cap will go up a year later" because the salaries also go up. Look at what we just paid to Harris just to prevent another immediate hole from forming. Mediocre players are getting what superstars signed for just a couple of seasons ago. There's a good chance we're going to sign (or be in the running) for Iupati. The guy can't pass block at all and he's going to get the highest contract ever paid to a guard in NFL history.

I have no desire to revisit being a team with limited cap flexibility AND no QB. At least if we had a serious QB, then we know we can cut or trade other expensive building blocks, or fail to sign new ones, and (barring concurrent meltdowns and injuries to other positions) that QB and only a few pieces still makes us contenders in today's NFL.

If we already had a QB (of whatever level) that we KNEW was going to be our starter for the next few seasons, then spend away on mega-expensive, but temporary instant fixes. But not when all we have is friggin' Geno Smith and/or a Bryan Hoyer type, plus a prayer that a raw/unready QB will be there at #6 a month later.

I get the sense the Jets are all in on Revis...Feels a bit like Nnamdi right now...

And the funny thing is with the Eagles now losing Maclin and their desire to fix their secondary and losing out on McCourty - they are now in the Revis sweeps and may be willing to beat us out.

We may get stuck holding our d--- again.  I sure hope not.

Too many teams have cap room and it looks the jets have another empty suit gm

Another basher.   Do you think agent of players like Cromartie, Spiller, Culliver etc etc are just sitting there and no one is calling them?  The agents and GM's are very busy 24 hours a day talking and figuring out what each other wants   It's the big time players like Suh or Maxwell that a team will go all in for and give them an offer they pretty much cant refuse.  

Not sure its an automatic penalty if he signs with us.   He is under contract with NE and they in theory are making the decision not to honor the contractt by cutting him (they both knew the 20 mil had to be renegotiated when the contact was signed.)

Agreed, once he is a FA, the jets have free reign to sign him. But the tampering charge is that Revis knows the jets wanted him at 16 per for a month now, making the negotiations more difficult with the pats.  He stated in an interview that the jets was his first choice, but Idzik and the jets did not want him, the owner now says come back I fired that fool.  

They are not cutting him, they are not picking up an option. Big diff is that they get a comp next year.

I get the sense the Jets are all in on Revis...Feels a bit like Nnamdi right now...

And the funny thing is with the Eagles now losing Maclin and their desire to fix their secondary and losing out on McCourty - they are now in the Revis sweeps and may be willing to beat us out.

We may get stuck holding our d--- again.  I sure hope not.

Interesting that you brought Nnamdi up. Eagles actually did us a favor with that one. Was nowhere near the player he was after signing the deal. And if I am correct I believe Revis is the same age he was when he signed the deal. 

There are plenty left to sign.

Tramon Williams

Cromartie

House

Culliver

To name a few.

yes, plenty of ways to skin this cat, but this cat needs to be skinned. I wouldn't be upset at all if they signed revis or bypassed revis and signed 1 or 2 of these guys instead. as long as the cat has no fur at the end of the day

I think this point is being glossed over too easily. I don't think we'll get docked a pick if he stays in NE, but if we sign him the chance of that happening goes way, way up. 

If we don't make an effort to sign him, Goodell can tell NE it was just a compliment to a great ex-player, and we can see that the Jets didn't even show any (official) interest in him. If we start offering him $16M/year or more, right after NE cuts him out of inability to sign him (and claims Revis said if you don't pay me now I know Woody Johnson will) it gives a tampering charge much more teeth. And frankly a good amount of validity as well.

If anything has been shown recently, it's that Goodell has been cushy-soft on NE. Woody got off with a slap on the wrist the last time, but this is the 2nd offense in as many seasons, this time it's a divisional rival, and I wouldn't want to give Goodell the extra ammunition.

You can dismiss the filed charge bullsh*t all you want on a message board among common-goal fans. That doesn't mean it won't stick as Revis gives NE a tough time in negotiations, they have to cut him because of it, and we then sign him (or even make a serious push for him) right away. Only 2-3 months after our owner said we should have re-signed him and in 2014 and "I'd love to have Darrelle come back" in a press conference (however off the cuff and unplanned the comment was). 

I think this point is being glossed over too easily. I don't think we'll get docked a pick if he stays in NE, but if we sign him the chance of that happening goes way, way up. 

What kind of pick are we talking about?

I honestly don't know.  Is there much a precedent for a seemingly harmless statement made by a mostly clueless owner?

I can't imagine it being more than a 6...But this league often defies logic...

What kind of pick are we talking about?

I honestly don't know.  Is there much a precedent for a seemingly harmless statement made by a mostly clueless owner?

I can't imagine it being more than a 6...But this league often defies logic...

Only way we get docked a pick for a stupid (but not malicious) comment is if the league docks NE a pick for deflategate--I predict jets have to give up a pick the round after pats lose theirs, so they go down 6 slots. Goodell will use the jets to make the pats whole, and that way he get get a pat on the head for "standing up" to his buddy kraft without actually hurting the pats.

Only way we get docked a pick for a stupid (but not malicious) comment is if the league docks NE a pick for deflategate--I predict jets have to give up a pick the round after pats lose theirs, so they go down 6 slots. Goodell will use the jets to make the pats whole, and that way he get get a pat on the head for "standing up" to his buddy kraft without actually hurting the pats.

If the Pats are found guilty for Deflategate the penalty will HAVE to be huge.  A second offense and clear and obvious cheating...very different than what Woody did.

They either get hammered heavily or they walk away clean (I certainly think it'll be the later)

Anyway, I really hope we don't lose too much for Woody being a fool.

If the Pats are found guilty for Deflategate the penalty will HAVE to be huge.  A second offense and clear and obvious cheating...very different than what Woody did.

They either get hammered heavily or they walk away clean (I certainly think it'll be the later)

Anyway, I really hope we don't lose too much for Woody being a fool.

you might be right, although i can see goodell splitting baby with a light penalty saying no evidence of intent but pats are being docked a 4th/5th/whatever rounder for "failing to implement internal procedures to ensure league protocols are followed" regarding proper handling of game balls. 

you might be right, although i can see goodell splitting baby with a light penalty saying no evidence of intent but pats are being docked a 4th/5th/whatever rounder for "failing to implement internal procedures to ensure league protocols are followed" regarding proper handling of game balls. 

You know what...You're right - This league doesn't have to follow any rules...people will complain for a week and it'll be over.  Pats were penalized lightly because they really didn't do anything...just a mistake.  blah, blah...

I really don't like the NFL anymore...

Archived