REVIS IS FREE!!!!!! (ok, he will be Tuesday 4pm)......(All things Revis in here)

TNJet

He wants the Jets to beg him to take him back and offer an absurd contract. "If the offers are similar, Revis to stay in New England."

Eff him. The mercenary can stay in New England. He should be considered a traitor to the majority of Jet fans. If they sign him to a big deal, his two DB agents will have him holding out again in year 3 anyway.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you say that?

There's  very real possibility this all happens.  By most accounts Jets are in the game for both Revis and McCourty...and I'm pretty sure Cro is already a done deal (he'll come cheap)

We have the money for it - whether is does happen or not is yet to be seen but no need to make snarky comments ...

Because while we have the money for it,  McCourty and especially Revis's contracts won't look like the "team" friendly ones that we have for Harvin and Marshall , they'll come with guaranteed $$$ and will limit what the Jets can do when they'll really need $$ again in 2-3 years. We have 50M in cap dollars but its not as simple as going out and spending that 50M haphazardly.

Everyone always wants the big name top of the heap FA , but never look at the future ramifications of signing them - ask Dan Snyder how that works out.

If this was pre salary cap football I'd love Revis back but in reality the Jets don't need Revis right now , they need a steady starting CB or 2  that can grow and develop under Bowles giving time to allow MacDougle/Millner and what ever other young CB's come our way. They need to build the team with cap friendly deals so if/when we land a franchise QB - we can go all in for a SB run. 

who's whiny? Who's groveling?

Why is wanting an elite player either of those things?

I think too many Jet fans have been so comfortable without having elite players on the team that we don't realize how important they are.

You need playmakers to win.

Who cares what he thinks?

The fact is he's, IMO, he's still the second best CB in football. And we have a HC that blitz's more than any coach in football...He'll be worth every penny of the $15mm a year we're going to pay him. We have the money - let's not spend scared, get impact players when you can..

He's good but not great and will want a ridiculous contract. Adding him will not get the Jets to the SB much less the playoffs and his contract will hurt signing other needed players.

Because while we have the money for it,  McCourty and especially Revis's contracts won't look like the "team" friendly ones that we have for Harvin and Marshall , they'll come with guaranteed $$$ and will limit what the Jets can do when they'll really need $$ again in 2-3 years. We have 50M in cap dollars but its not as simple as going out and spending that 50M haphazardly.

Everyone always wants the big name top of the heap FA , but never look at the future ramifications of signing them - ask Dan Snyder how that works out.

If this was pre salary cap football I'd love Revis back but in reality the Jets don't need Revis right now , they need a steady starting CB or 2  that can grow and develop under Bowles giving time to allow MacDougle/Millner and what ever other young CB's come our way. They need to build the team with cap friendly deals so if/when we land a franchise QB - we can go all in for a SB run. 

LOL - how'd that work out for the past 45 years.  You build the best team you can with what you have and try and compete.

I would say IF we had a young QB that we felt could be the franchise you can slowly build around him and spend when you think he's ready...but we don't have a franchise QB nor do we even have a prospect for one....

Get Revis, Mcourty and Cro ---- all of sudden you have a top 5 defense in the league...

With Marshal, Decker, Ivory, Amaro - and find a way to get Foles and you have team that can compete NOW!

Look, I realize having all of this happen is a long shot - but it is certainly in the realm of possibility.  

There's such a defeatist attitude around here, it's just sad ...

He's good but not great and will want a ridiculous contract. Adding him will not get the Jets to the SB much less the playoffs and his contract will hurt signing other needed players.

First - the he's not great is a myth made up by Jet fans to deal with the loss.  He's still a legit shut down corner in a league where they really don't exist.

Second - Who are we signing that the extra $5mm we'll have to pay Revis is going to hurt?

People keep saying it's too much but I want to know on who else are we spending this $50mm?  What spot are we not filling if we end up giving Revis $15mm instead of a second tier corner $10mm?

LOL - how'd that work out for the past 45 years.  You build the best team you can with what you have and try and compete.

I would say IF we had a young QB that we felt could be the franchise you can slowly build around him and spend when you think he's ready...but we don't have a franchise QB nor do we even have a prospect for one....

Get Revis, Mcourty and Cro ---- all of sudden you have a top 5 defense in the league...

With Marshal, Decker, Ivory, Amaro - and find a way to get Foles and you have team that can compete NOW!

Look, I realize having all of this happen is a long shot - but it is certainly in the realm of possibility.  

It is sad but for some fans it is hard to stay optimistic.  It wears on you over the years and theres a reason for the saying "same old jets".  I'm all about hope, until the Jets tear it away from me.  But you gotta understand a portion of the fan base will approach the jets as cynics and they have every right to do so.

And if you don't win the next two years - which in unlikely , your right back in cap hell , its not sustainable to follow this model in the salary cap era. 

I certainly don't find not wanting Revis and McCourty at big $$$ defeatist , i find it smart and sustainable cap management.

It is sad but for some fans it is hard to stay optimistic.  It wears on you over the years and theres a reason for the saying "same old jets".  I'm all about hope, until the Jets tear it away from me.  But you gotta understand a portion of the fan base will approach the jets as cynics and they have every right to do so.

Good post...

Totally agree - but for me, this is the time of year I think I'm most optimistic - particularly this year when we have a new HC, an entirely new Front Office, just signed a legit #1 WR - the number 6 pick in the draft and still have over $50mm in cap space with which to play....

we're 2 days away from FA starting.   Someone telling me, let's not try and win because we don't have a franchise QB... 

There's a lot to be excited about - I'm pumped!

First - the he's not great is a myth made up by Jet fans to deal with the loss.  He's still a legit shut down corner in a league where they really don't exist.

Second - Who are we signing that the extra $5mm we'll have to pay Revis is going to hurt?

People keep saying it's too much but I want to know on who else are we spending this $50mm?  What spot are we not filling if we end up giving Revis $15mm instead of a second tier corner $10mm?

They really don't exist because the NFL in its push for even more revenue have made the shutdown corner an extinct creature. 

Again its not the $5M this year its the future implications.

The extra $5M this year can help secure an OLB or OL 

And if you don't win the next two years - which in unlikely , your right back in cap hell , its not sustainable to follow this model in the salary cap era. 

I certainly don't find not wanting Revis and McCourty at big $$$ defeatist , i find it smart and sustainable cap management.

So?

Under your circumstance you have no chance of winning...so in two years, unless you find a franchise QB, you're in the same spot you are now...The have cap space but don't spend space.  Moreover, any Revis deal with be a two year - and over deal...you're not carrying bad space with him.  

At least I'm trying to make an effort to win. 

But I'll ask it again...who are we missing out on if we don't sign Revis?

They really don't exist because the NFL in its push for even more revenue have made the shutdown corner an extinct creature

Again its not the $5M this year its the future implications.

The extra $5M this year can help secure an OLB or OL 

Even more reason to pay Revis...because he is one..

What OLB or OL do you want to sign this year?  We have the money and as per the CBA have to spend it over the next two years.  

I'll say it again - Revis's deal won't be long term cap pain - it'll be all guarantees upfront.

So?

Under your circumstance you have no chance of winning...so in two years, unless you find a franchise QB, you're in the same spot you are now...The have cap space but don't spend space. Moreover, any Revis deal with be a two year - and over deal...you're not carrying bad space with him.

Do you miss wearing your Revis jersey or something?

Not more than a quality starting QB  ?????

I don't know of any that are available? I wouldn't mind signing Hoyer, Mallet or whoever else, as I think Geno is horrible, but can those guys produce anything more than a 85 QB rating? I don't know about that. And really, we can do both - sign Revis and one of those journeyman QB's.

Do you miss wearing your Revis jersey or something?

haha..threw it out two years ago!

I just want to have impact players on the team, I've missed them.  There happens to be one coming free, we've been tied to him and we have the money to spend on him .  We can all hate him but the fact is he's one of the best defensive football players in the league and can help this team win...

So?

Under your circumstance you have no chance of winning...so in two years, unless you find a franchise QB, you're in the same spot you are now...The have cap space but don't spend space.  Moreover, any Revis deal with be a two year - and over deal...you're not carrying bad space with him.  

You've almost solved the riddle . In today's NFL its not impossible but verrrrrrrrrry hard to win w/o that franchise QB. We can have the 86 Bears defense but with an O that can't put up points its not looking good. 

Spend the money you'd overspend on the Top tier DB's ( Revis/McCourty) and solidify the OL - which would be a key step in helping whoever plays QB this year for the Jets.

And Spending money foolishly has never equated to winning in the NFL - if so the Redskins and Raiders would be perennial SB champs.

I didn't realize all the quality starting qb's are hitting free agency this year. the jets should grab at least 2

Read the context of the inital post and my reply - I didn't say there are quality starting QB's avaialble now did I . 

I just want to have impact players on the team, I've missed them. There happens to be one coming free, we've been tied to him and we have the money to spend on him . We can all hate him but the fact is he's one of the best defensive football players in the league and can help this team win...

Does adding him help us finally get to watch a SB with the Jets or does it just give us 2 or 3 more wins?

Read the context of the inital post and my reply - I didn't say there are quality starting QB's avaialble now did I . 

I did read the context of the original post. the poster stated revis would help this team more than any other signing. you responded with how about a quality starting qb. then I responded that I didn't know all the quality starting qb's were free agents this year and I think we should grab 2

what am I missing here?

Then what, what?

You have 1 of the top 2 CB's in football for two years  - with a HC that wants to play press coverage and blitzes more than any coach in the NFL.  That's a good thing - when you have cap space you spend on impact players - have a team full of role players doesn't win.  You need guys that can change the outcome of the game.  Revis is that guy.

Jets are Revis or bust right now - I think there's a very good chance he's a Jet in two days.

As long as Geno is Geno, signing Revis for mega bucks does what?  Get us from 4-12 to 7-9?  I agree with you that we need impact players to win.  That is why I think getting McCourty for more years and similar total money could make him and Pryor both impact players for a longer period of time. This would give us a wider window to build a professional offense that can score.  

Even more reason to pay Revis...because he is one..

What OLB or OL do you want to sign this year?  We have the money and as per the CBA have to spend it over the next two years.  

I'll say it again - Revis's deal won't be long term cap pain - it'll be all guarantees upfront.

No that's the point the NFL has essentially neutered the effectiveness of shutdown corners - making them less valuable.

Ol - Franklin, Barksdale, Carpenter , Bulaga, Boling, Parnell, Joseph.

OLB - Orapko, Morgan, Wheeler, Graham, Acho, McPhee.

Revis and his agents are all about $$$ , his contract will not be team friendly in any shape or form . 

I don't know of any that are available? I wouldn't mind signing Hoyer, Mallet or whoever else, as I think Geno is horrible, but can those guys produce anything more than a 85 QB rating? I don't know about that. And really, we can do both - sign Revis and one of those journeyman QB's.

My answer to your question wasn't in context to who was aavailable this season - more in terms to the blanket statement that there's not 1 single signing that would be more important than Revis. 

I just want to have impact players on the team, I've missed them.  There happens to be one coming free, we've been tied to him and we have the money to spend on him .  We can all hate him but the fact is he's one of the best defensive football players in the league and can help this team win...

Win what? 

This is a great point and another reason why Idzik was such a genius. Not only did he not give two sh*ts about last season and saved tons of money, he also had the brilliance to waste almost all twelve of the picks last draft. Now we don't have to worry about having money available to sign 2014 draft guys in a few years. One may say he was just a horrible GM in terms of FA, personnel decisions and also drafting. But in reality, Idzik is just misunderstood brilliance.

Lol I love this.

jets have not been active in FA besides Bmarsh-cleary it really has not started yet but tons of guys have "done deals"-jets got bmarsh and are going to back up the brinks truck for Revis-I am not sure it is the right move but I would love him back with the Jets-if 1000% killed woody watching revis win with the Pats -jets will overpay to get him back

While I do not necessarily want to sign Revis, out ridiculous amount of cap space makes it possible without mortgaging the future if you can get Revis to buy into the value of the contract over 3 years with small salaries in years 2 and 3. 

The problem with loading Revis' contract in upfront guarantees is that, after the first year when he's gotten all of his guaranteed money, he'll hold out.  And then it'll be whether or not Maccagnan wants to give in to his latest demands or let him walk.  Revis will try to tie up as much of the cap space as humanly possible for his own bank account each and every year, regardless of what's actually written in his contract.  They can try to load it with upfront guarantees, but all that guarantees is that first year, and then we're back to the same old BS that Revis always does, which is to pitch a royal fit like a 2 year old until he gets his way the next time.

Archived