John Idzik

Tinstar

he was the right man for what was needed. In hindsight he was destined to be a martyr from the start with the unholy marriage with Rex forced on him by woody.

The right man wouldn't have totally WASTED 12 draft picks. Nor would he have neglected the defensive secondary in a blatant sabotage job on his HC. John Idzik was a HUGE mistake - I mean Rich Kotite huge. I hated Rex as much as he apparently did, but even I wouldn't have gone to the lengths this stooge did to undermine him. Turned out well for the Jets though, because I love Big Mac and Bowles will be a much better HC than Rex will ever be.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A smart person would know its too early too judge a draft in one season. A smart person would know that all that cap space cleared is the reason why we could go on a spending spree this off season. Anyone with the slightest football smarts would.

But chorus boy is an idiot. So keep singing your tired  song of set us back by a few seasons.

If a smart person would know that, then how come your beloved GM is out on his 4ss after taking an 8-8 team and running it into the ground in 1 offseason?  What aren't all teams trying this smart method of leaving $25M in cap space?   No, but you are sooo smart..

You have no indication that this idiot would have spent any more this offseason especially where the contracts have become MORE expensive.  You sound like a petty little contrarian, or you could be Grandma Idzik... only one of the 2 makes any sense.

So when half his draft was off the team before the year ended, that was too early to judge?  Is it too early to judge Jalen Saunders, Jeremiah George, Tajh Boyd and Brandon Dixon who couldn't stick on a team with one of the worst talent pools in the NFL?

Another "chorus boy" reference... damn.. you got me.  So smart.

Jets fans have such a short memory.  This team had one of the worst cap situations in the NFL when Idzik took over.  The Jets were utterly cash-strapped and still unsuccessful.  A total rebuild was in order with no money to fund it.  Two years after Idzik came in, we have one of the best cap situations in the league (which allowed Mac to bring in any players he felt like signing), as well as adding 16 draft picks in two seasons--regardless of the picks' value to the team last season.  Amaro, Richardson, Pryor, McDougle, Dozier, Milliner, Geno, Aboushi, Bohannon, Evans, Enunwa, Enemkpali, and Reilly are all on the roster right now.  Did he spend on Revis or Cro or DRC last year?  Nope.  Because this team wasn't a contender and he isn't foolish.  He did pick up Harvin after heavy pressure and a bunch of bad press led by Manish Mehta and some billboards, but even that contract and trade were reasonable for a one year rental.  Idzik is a guy who scrimped and saved to have a sound future, but got taken in a divorce and now his ex wife is spending all her ill-gotten money on cars and suits for the well-hung pool boy.  You don't have to like him, but lets not pretend he was cheap for the fun of it.  He had a plan that likely needed three or four years to institute after being handed a difficult task of fixing a bad team.  He got two years and never had his own coach.  This doesn't prove Idzik was incompetent.  it proves Woody is child chasing bubbles in the yard.  He just can't seem to find the one he wants so goes after all of them.  And never catches any. John Idzik was shafted and he deserved at least one year with his own coach and the huge pile of cash he accumulated.  one make-or-break season.  He got walking papers from his spineless boss instead.  And ridicule from Jets fans who are now set up to reap the benefits of his efforts.  An unpopular view is not necessarily the wrong one.  Mac seems to love his new-found popularity, but Idzik, the nerd sitting alone at the lunch table, did an excellent job that will never be recognized.  Because he inherited a horrible team and turned it around in two seasons.  But didn't put the Jets on the back page often enough.

Aside from the fact that this entire post defies description.  The Harvin comment takes the cake!!!  REASONABLE?!?  We gave away a draft pick and 6.5M towards this year's cap for a guy when we were 1-6 and the season was over and you are happy with how that turned out. 

The ones who want to rewrite history are the ones defending this moron.  We were 8-8 after his first year and had $45M to spend and 12 draft picks.  Don't give us this BS that he knew we weren't ready to win last year.  That is total crap.  You show me a GM of an 8-8 team with a rookie QB who started all year and is coming into his 2nd year with those kind of offseason assets and says "we have no shot!"  That is total garbage and so is your entire post.

The cap room Idzik supposedly saved us, was there from Tannenbaum. All Idzik did was make three obvious cuts (Sanchez, Scott, Holmes) because that's the way Mikey T. set it up. The singular success from the abysmal failure that is John Idzik was/is Sheldon Richardson. The rest was the result of a dumpster-diving GM who was in over his head.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!  It's scary how many people want to give this moron credit for this.  3 obvious cuts (you can add Cromartie at $9.5M at the time) and he created $35M in cap space.  And NONE of those 4 guys made a meaningful contribution in 2013 so you had to figure we would reload, add some contributions from our 12 picks and after an 8-8 season, be a playoff contender before this moron rode us into the ground. 

The right man wouldn't have totally WASTED 12 draft picks. Nor would he have neglected the defensive secondary in a blatant sabotage job on his HC. John Idzik was a HUGE mistake - I mean Rich Kotite huge. I hated Rex as much as he apparently did, but even I wouldn't have gone to the lengths this stooge did to undermine him. Turned out well for the Jets though, because I love Big Mac and Bowles will be a much better HC than Rex will ever be.

yeah, tough to defend the draft.

unlike most GM flops at least he didn't leave team in cap Hell. i guess it's more a silver lining than "right man" so I stand corrected.

Either Eagles HC Kelly is a Genius or a lunatic . Today, many people think the man is a Lunatic. Tomorrow, he may be proven a Genius. At least he had the conviction to do things his way right or wrong.

That conviction is what defines Genius IMO, not the results.

Rich Kotite believed very much in what he was doing too.  It's unfortunate this board wasn't around during his tenure because there would be an unsilent minority lamenting his dismissal as well.  I can hear it now... "Kotite really set us up for the Parcells turnaround.  Parcells could never have done it without Kotite's contribution."

John Idzik's plan and Rex Ryan's plan were never the same. It was a house divided and doomed to fail.  Guess what, it failed. But even in failure, we got some prize gifts. 

We got rid of Rex .  Oh I feel like shouting.  Fine - don't love Rex but he should have fired him after year 1 with him based on his joke of an offseason the next year.

We acquired  Richardson regardless of who gets the credit.  Best move of his 2 years

We got a Pass catching TE something most fans wanted   Has ability - we'll see

We got a quality WR in Decker who also happens to be a quality person.    Best free agent signing

We got some young talented OLmen    That's a stretch.  We have seen nothing to suggest that Dozier or Aboushi is more than a JAG and Winters is garbage.

We got some young WRs who have talent.  Really?  We do?  Which one of the 3 he drafted last year and didn't have a catch is the one with the talent?

We got millions to spend in free agency in 2015.   Harvin cut severely into that after he caved because he saw his "plan" was a total failure.

Thank you John Idzik.

I would not have drafted Milliner, even after the player the Jets supposedly wanted was taken.

No way I draft a SS like Pryor in the 1st round. Especially with Bridgewater on the board and us not having a true Starting QB .

Mistakes were made, but the man did a solid Job.

Wow, how do Jet fans get a "hard to please reputation" with people like this in our midst?  If what he did was solid, I would hate to see a bad job in your eyes.

Here is another question that none of the Idzik lovers can answer, do you think he will ever get an NFL GM job again?  If his tenure was so solid, why wouldn't he get another shot?  But you know he never will... is that just because all the other organizations are just "piling on?"  Or is it because the rest of the NFL agrees with the 95% of us who realize he sucks at that job?

Because HE was in charge and Woody doesn't tell his GM how to run the team. Yes, Idzik kept Revis away from the Jets ALL BY HIMSELF. Idzik was an incompetent GM and is in Jacksonville in a window-less room with a calculator doing what he knows how to do. Crunch numbers and save money under the cap. That is his ONLY talent. To say that in ANY WAY he is responsible for Jets success is idiotic. It was his TOTAL incompetence that led the Jets to Big Mac and Bowles. If you want to "thank him" for that be my guest.

You started your rant with a mistake which made everything you said null and void.  Woody told Idzik Rex was his HC. From there it was doomed to fail. Just like your rant.

Dude Harvin cost us nothing but Woody's money.

Are you seriously that ignorant?  He cost us the rollover of cap space to next year... $6.5M when the team was 1-6.  If you are going to try to polish a turd by defending this guy for his cap management, get your facts straight.  That move cost us a draft pick and over 30% of the cap space he was supposedly trying to rollover when the season was lost.  And it wasn't a move for the future as there was no way we would continue to pay him $10.5M going forward. 

Are you seriously that ignorant?  He cost us the rollover of cap space to next year... $6.5M when the team was 1-6.  If you are going to try to polish a turd by defending this guy for his cap management, get your facts straight.  That move cost us a draft pick and over 30% of the cap space he was supposedly trying to rollover when the season was lost.  And it wasn't a move for the future as there was no way we would continue to pay him $10.5M going forward. 

I guess I am.

Happy .

after taking an 8-8 team and running it into the ground

Here i was thinking the JETS were 6-10 when the previous GM took over.

You have no indication that this idiot would have spent any more this offseason especially where the contracts have become MORE expensive.

Just like you don't have any indication he would have sat on the sidelines with all the cap and a decent FA class.

So when half his draft was off the team before the year ended, that was too early to judge?

We still might get 4-5 starters from last year's draft. I am one of those people who do not give up on a draft class after the rookie season itself. So is it a bad draft if you get 4-5 starters out of it.

Here i was thinking the JETS were 6-10 when the previous GM took over.  No one faults him in the first offseason where they really did not have any cap space.  What everyone is referring to (thought it was obvious, but look who we are dealing with here...after all.. you love Idzik) is the following offseason.  They were 8-8 in the season before his "offseason plan from hell" really began to take shape.  Look alive and try to keep up...

Just like you don't have any indication he would have sat on the sidelines with all the cap and a decent FA class.  The way he managed his last offseason gives every indication.... he had the money and didn't spend it.  I base mine on watching the moron operate.  You base yours on pure speculation.

We still might get 4-5 starters from last year's draft. I am one of those people who do not give up on a draft class after the rookie season itself. So is it a bad draft if you get 4- starters out of it.     And Brooks Bollinger still may be the next franchise QB of this team, too, right?  Of course, I want whatever crumbs of that disgrace of a draft to pan out.  I hope Pryor becomes serviceable and Amaro becomes a top 10 TE.  It's very telling that out of the rest of the slop, you think you can pluck 3 starters.  Martavis Bryant, Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks, Dante Moncrief, Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, Marquise Lee, Jordan Matthews you know... all the guys your boy missed out on... are or very soon will be starters.  I just have to ask.  Even if I spot you Pryor and Amaro, who are the other 3 and what have they shown that gives you even the slightest glimmer of hope that they will be serviceable, let alone a starter?

No one faults him in the first offseason where they really did not have any cap space.  What everyone is referring to (thought it was obvious, but look who we are dealing with here...after all.. you love Idzik) is the following offseason.  They were 8-8 in the season before his "offseason plan from hell" really began to take shape.  Look alive and try to keep up...

So you mean to say he actually took a 6-10 team to 8-8. So Idzik did something positive ? How is that possible. And are things always supposed to be linear in a team that is building through the draft. Simple minds might say so. I just think there too much football smarts over here to have a different answer.

The way he managed his last offseason gives every indication.... he had the money and didn't spend it.  I base mine on watching the moron operate.  You base yours on pure speculation.

Again all offseason's created equal. Are all FA classes equal. Could it be he wanted to avoid a weak FA class which was last season for a bang this off season. Just asking.

And Brooks Bollinger still may be the next franchise QB of this team, too, right?  Of course, I want whatever crumbs of that disgrace of a draft to pan out.  I hope Pryor becomes serviceable and Amaro becomes a top 10 TE.  It's very telling that out of the rest of the slop, you think you can pluck 3 starters.  Martavis Bryant, Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks, Dante Moncrief, Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, Marquise Lee, Jordan Matthews you know... all the guys your boy missed out on... are or very soon will be starters.  I just have to ask.  Even if I spot you Pryor and Amaro, who are the other 3 and what have they shown that gives you even the slightest glimmer of hope that they will be serviceable, let alone a starter?

Nice deflection. So if we still end up with 4-5 starters from this draft would it be a bad draft ? Simple question.

Nice deflection. So if we still end up with 4-5 starters from this draft would it be a bad draft ? Simple question.

Ironic statement as you just deflected an entire post.  If the starters are a punter and guys like Bryan Winters, Tommy Bohannon, etc. and you had 12 picks to start with, then no it wasn't.  A fringe starter on a bad team is not the barometer, so your question is flawed.  And of course, you are incapable of addressing how your miserable failure of a hero missed on all those WR's or if you think he will ever get another GM job (of course you know he won't) and why that might be (he sucks).  And didn't you say you were going to stop trying to convince the chorus about 20 posts ago? 

So you mean to say he actually took a 6-10 team to 8-8. So Idzik did something positive ? How is that possible. And are things always supposed to be linear in a team that is building through the draft. Simple minds might say so. I just think there too much football smarts over here to have a different answer.

in reality, that the jets went 8-8 in idziks first year had nothing at all to do with idzik

Again all offseason's created equal. Are all FA classes equal. Could it be he wanted to avoid a weak FA class which was last season for a bang this off season. Just asking.

I wouldn't exactly call last years free agency " a weak class". plenty of good players to be had

In two years, John Idzik spent two first rounders and a third, as well as a couple free agent signings, on the defensive secondary. The new regime took a look at the players Idzik acquired, and promptly signed three CBs and a safety in free agency.

Last year, Idzik drafted three WRs. This year, one of Maccagnan's first moves was to trade for a WR.

Idzik drafted four OL, Macagnan moved quickly to sign a guard in free agency.

Idzik drafted a QB in the second round, and signed free agent Michael Vick. Maccagnan couldn't move on from Vick fast enough and brought in Fitzpatrick to (at least) compete for the starting job. It's a safe bet that he'll draft another, too.

John Idzik may have his defenders here, but it doesn't look like his replacement thinks much of what he did during his tenure.

in reality, that the jets went 8-8 in idziks first year had nothing at all to do with idzik

I wouldn't exactly call last years free agency " a weak class". plenty of good players to be had

We should not give him any credit for anything because it so much lynching up a guy who is gone.

So who would have signed. Mind you have the benefit of hindsight as well.

Ironic statement as you just deflected an entire post.  If the starters are a punter and guys like Bryan Winters, Tommy Bohannon, etc. and you had 12 picks to start with, then no it wasn't.  A fringe starter on a bad team is not the barometer, so your question is flawed.  And of course, you are incapable of addressing how your miserable failure of a hero missed on all those WR's or if you think he will ever get another GM job (of course you know he won't) and why that might be (he sucks).  And didn't you say you were going to stop trying to convince the chorus about 20 posts ago? 

So they(Winters, Bohanon) were drafted in last season's draft ?

Again keep deflecting.

In two years, John Idzik spent two first rounders and a third, as well as a couple free agent signings, on the defensive secondary. The new regime took a look at the players Idzik acquired, and promptly signed three CBs and a safety in free agency.

Last year, Idzik drafted three WRs. This year, one of Maccagnan's first moves was to trade for a WR.

Idzik drafted four OL, Macagnan moved quickly to sign a guard in free agency.

Idzik drafted a QB in the second round, and signed free agent Michael Vick. Maccagnan couldn't move on from Vick fast enough and brought in Fitzpatrick to (at least) compete for the starting job. It's a safe bet that he'll draft another, too.

John Idzik may have his defenders here, but it doesn't look like his replacement thinks much of what he did during his tenure.

pretty much somes it up-Izadick did one thing richardson-other than that beyond awful-I will miss his supporters saying they have "trust in his plan" and he knows what he is doing when clearly he was over his head and did not

So they(Winters, Bohanon) were drafted in last season's draft ?

Again keep deflecting.

That was an example as to why your question was complete nonsense.  You know what an example is right?   You asked a generic question and I gave you a generic answer and you come back with questions about which draft I am talking about.  The simplemindedness is sad.  You don't judge a draft class based on how many fringe starters you produce.  Can't address the rest of the issues can you?  Who's hiring him again?  Who are the other 3 starters?  Do you even know the names of the guys we drafted? 

Here, let me save you the time... "Deflecting BLAH BLAH..chorus BLAH BLAH... Deflecting" 

pretty much somes it up-Izadick did one thing richardson-other than that beyond awful-I will miss his supporters saying they have "trust in his plan" and he knows what he is doing when clearly he was over his head and did not

Oh yes, I really miss all the "the plan, the plan, the plan" guys.  Too stubborn to see just how awful their hero really was.  "it's a 5 year plan, it's a 10 year plan.."  If it's a good plan in today's NFL, it doesn't take 5 years to implement.

That was an example as to why your question was complete nonsense.  You don't judge a draft class based on how many fringe starters you produce.  Don't have the aptitude for the rest of the issues, huh?  Thought so... you're so weak it's sad.

We were talking about last year's draft. So last year's draft had only fringe starters in it ?  And please also answer the question is it a bad draft if you get 4-5 starters out of it. Don't run away from it this time.

Apart from weak name calling you seem to have nothing.

This Jet fan want to extent a Huuuuuuuuuuuuge thank you to our former General Manager who was instrumental in allowing all that has gone on over the past 3 days to occur. Had this man spend our cap money on scrub players like DRC and the like because of all the pressure he was under, the Franchise would not now be in the position that it finds itself in.

Where would the money have come from to sign Revis and Skrine . To add  Carpenter to the OL and bring in a player like Fitzpatrick to compete at the QB position ?

Finally, I want to thank you Mr Idzik for falling on the sword and allowing us to rid this franchise of that fraud of a HC Wrecks Ryan who should have been fired 3 yrs ago after the fiasco in Miami with Santonio Holmes.

Mr Idzik I want you to know that your sacrifice was much appreciated and will never be forgotten by this Jet fan.

Thank you Sir.

John Idzik, AKA..."The unsung"

We were talking about last year's draft. So last year's draft had only fringe starters in it ?  And please also answer the question is it a bad draft if you get 4-5 starters out of it. Don't run away from it this time.

Apart from weak name calling you seem to have nothing.

How many questions have you just run from?  "Idiot" and "chorus boy" have been your best arguments thus far.  Still can't answer them can you.

I answered your question 3 times already and I'll do it again so read slower this time...."just saying you have a starter is not a barometer" so if your starters are guys "like" (don't get confused) Winters and Bohannon, a punter, etc., then no it was not successful and yes it is a bad draft.  If your 4-5 starters are at least better than average players, then it is a good draft.  If you have 5 Sheldon Richardson's or 5 Tommy Bohannon's, it makes a huge difference.  So keep parroting your same stupid question over and over. 

It also depends on how many selections you have.  If you have 12 versus 6, wouldn't you say that makes a difference?  What your hero did was take 12 picks and get less return than all the other teams that had half of those.  So I'll sit back and wait for your answers as to why your hero won't ever see a GM seat the rest of his life and who the other 3 starters might be.

Aside from the fact that this entire post defies description.  The Harvin comment takes the cake!!!  REASONABLE?!?  We gave away a draft pick and 6.5M towards this year's cap for a guy when we were 1-6 and the season was over and you are happy with how that turned out. 

The ones who want to rewrite history are the ones defending this moron.  We were 8-8 after his first year and had $45M to spend and 12 draft picks.  Don't give us this BS that he knew we weren't ready to win last year.  That is total crap.  You show me a GM of an 8-8 team with a rookie QB who started all year and is coming into his 2nd year with those kind of offseason assets and says "we have no shot!"  That is total garbage and so is your entire post.

I'm not going to engage in a pissing match with you 782. I don't come here for that. To be honest your responses are rude and overly aggressive. I give my opinion and back with what I believe to be a solid argument. I disagree with you but I'm not about to call you out personally. In response to the above post:

If you'll look back in the archives you'll see thread after thread stating we need to "blow it up". Or tear it down and start fresh. You don't improve your roster during the tear down. You position yourself to rebuild stronger in the future. The Saints are doing this right now. It becomes necessary from time to time, particularly when the cap is managed poorly. The Pats currently have a roster that is far worse than it was last season when they went "all-in" for a SB push. The jets were in that same boat the last two seasons. Clear the contracts, sign cheap replacements and position yourself for a solid rebuild with a low cap and plenty of draft picks. Harvin was a desperation move. That was stated above. By cutting him we save 10 mil on this years cap and only give up a 6th. Not so bad. And now we have a high pick, lots of solid vets brought in and some hope for a decent team in the coming seasons. That's a job well done in my opinion. You don't have to agree. And you don't need to be obnoxious. That's just not how we do things around her, generally speaking.

What your hero did was take 12 picks and get less return than all the other teams that had half of those.  So I'll sit back and wait for your answers as to why your hero won't ever see a GM seat the rest of his life and who the other 3 starters might be.

You been going 'your hero Idzik' in all these posts. Then i look at your profile pic, its Maccag's pic. That too most likely his driver's license or passport pic. The irony.

:rl: :rl:

If you have 5 Sheldon Richardson's or 5 Tommy Bohannon's, it makes a huge difference.

So every GM to has to make 5 DROY picks to be considered successful ? So you think the new guy who's pic you sport in your sign will get us 4-5 DROY level starters or close in every draft ?

So every GM to has to make 5 DROY picks to be considered successful ? So you think the new guy who's pic you sport in your sign will get us 4-5 DROY level starters or close in every draft ?

Not comprehending not comprehending not comprehending.. so you took what I said to mean that a GM has to have 5 DROY's to be successful?  Dense much?  I said it makes a difference in what kind of starter we are talking about again, which is why your question is nonsense.  See, your question is a general one and I am giving you examples as to why the premise of your question makes the answer irrelevant and you continually miss the point.  No one said that's what a GM needs to come away with. 

Your hero was such a disaster that you are trying to grasp at straws and say "Hey, we have a few starters from his drafts!! He's great!!"  And I am telling you (and you are not understanding) that just having a starter is not a barometer.  The team sucked and had guys like Bohannon and Winters and Geno starting.  That does not make it a good draft.

In addition, his last draft was even more of a disaster as he only got 2 part time starters (Pryor was benched and Amaro did not start until the end of the year) so your argument is even worse with respect to the most recent draft.

Still no answers on the other stuff, huh?  I will take that as an admission that you have relented to the fact that your boy will never be a GM ever again and that you have no answer as to why other than you are so much smarter than everyone else.  Maybe a team with 36 draft picks in one year will roll the dice with him down the road.

In addition, his last draft was even more of a disaster as he only got 2 part time starters (Pryor was benched and Amaro did not start until the end of the year) so your argument is even worse with respect to the most recent draft.

Again one season is too early for me to judge  a draft class. But please let me not stop you from jumping to premature conclusions.

The team sucked and had guys like Bohannon and Winters and Geno starting. That does not make it a good draft.

But that's a draft from a different season. The draft which also got us some other players. Here is the thing, the way thinks look like Geno might still be the starting for this team. Winters and Bohannon are not going away unless last season injury rules them out from training camp or so on. If they are so goddamn awful or inconsequential why are they still in with a chance to be on this team ?

We should not give him any credit for anything because it so much lynching up a guy who is gone.

its like your kid getting and A+ in gym and failing every other class. there isn't much credit to be given

So who would have signed. Mind you have the benefit of hindsight as well.

I have already don't this "well who did you want" argument to death thruout the year. no need to re-hash it. all the rebuttles are the same, anyways

1. he wanted to sign with his old team

2. he wanted to play for a winner

3. he doesn't fit the system

4.he just decided to sign with someone else

5. yadayadayada

you want to give him credit for Richardson? fine. you don't want to call the entire 2014 draft a bust? that's fine also. but to give him any other credit besides these 2 tidbits just seems like a really big reach

Archived