John Idzik

Tinstar

Idzik didn't do anything genius.  The way the contracts were structured by Tannenbaum is what eventually led to the cap space.  

You're telling me letting guys like Keller and Landry go would have happened in the Rex/ Tanny era?  no way man.

If Tanny was so great at giving us cap space why didn't he do it?  He bound us to guys like Sanchez. This makes no sense.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Jet fan want to extent a Huuuuuuuuuuuuge thank you to our former General Manager who was instrumental in allowing all that has gone on over the past 3 days to occur. Had this man spend our cap money on scrub players like DRC and the like because of all the pressure he was under, the Franchise would not now be in the position that it finds itself in.

Where would the money have come from to sign Revis and Skrine . To add  Carpenter to the OL and bring in a player like Fitzpatrick to compete at the QB position ?

Finally, I want to thank you Mr Idzik for falling on the sword and allowing us to rid this franchise of that fraud of a HC Wrecks Ryan who should have been fired 3 yrs ago after the fiasco in Miami with Santonio Holmes.

Mr Idzik I want you to know that your sacrifice was much appreciated and will never be forgotten by this Jet fan.

Thank you Sir.

ban this dude

You're telling me letting guys like Keller and Landry go would have happened in the Rex/ Tanny era?  no way man.

If Tanny was so great at giving us cap space why didn't he do it?  He bound us to guys like Sanchez. This makes no sense.

Yes, the would have.  Keller was pissed that the Jets were not wiling to talk extension with him going into the 2012 season.  They were never going to re-sign him.  They let Edwards, Smith, and a host of others go.  So what you're saying simply isn't true.

The Holmes and Sanchez contracts were cuttable after the 2013 season because that's the way Tannenbaum structured them.  Idzik was the biggest fool of a GM in the NFL.

Tanny's mistake and downfall was Tebow. Woody's mistake was thinking he can get a GM to work with Rex after firing Tanny, Somebody needed to slap some sense into Woody 

Yes, the would have.  Keller was pissed that the Jets were not wiling to talk extension with him going into the 2012 season.  They were never going to re-sign him.  They let Edwards, Smith, and a host of others go.  So what you're saying simply isn't true.

The Holmes and Sanchez contracts were cuttable after the 2013 season because that's the way Tannenbaum structured them.  Idzik was the biggest fool of a GM in the NFL.

Ooooooh so Tanny's big plan was to be free from of all the big money in 2013 but got fired first. I see.

Listen.  I'm no Idzik supporter but I'm also not really all that biased (most of the time).  Tanny was our GM from 2006-2012. We never had cap space like that or 12 picks in the draft during his entire time here. To try and sell that Idzik pulled that off with anything that Tanny ever thought of is not getting bought man. Letting players go is just as difficult and important of a situation as signing players. They are decisions that have to be made. Tanny had three picks one year.  Sanchez, Slauson and Green.

That's not to say that Tanny couldn't have done a bunch of other things and gotten better results but the point I made is the same.  Idzik placed the Jets in a position to completely re organize the team for the better. 40 mil in cap space and 12 picks. He dropped the ball on the talent side in both FA and the draft. Our wonderful off season we're having right now is due in large part to what he did. Like it or not.

Tanny's mistake and downfall was Tebow. Woody's mistake was thinking he can get a GM to work with Rex after firing Tanny, Somebody needed to slap some sense into Woody 

I agree that Tebow was a mistake, but that wasn't it alone. That was the final straw.  Truth just might be that Rex was more at fault than Tanny for many of those player decisions but either way Tanny was the GM and ultimately the boss.

Rex was smart enough to make it look like all Tanny by playing the third string guy (name escapes me) over Tebow

Lol, god damn Idzik  

1.  The cap decisions were easy, Landry was a short deal lottery ticket, he performed well and cashed in.  You can't say he's in cap hell, and then credit him for letting them walk away without realizing the ramifications of being in cap hell in the first place.  Cap Hell = you can't really resign anyone of note because you actually don't have the cap room to do it, hence these players are walking anyway.  

2.  He let Cromartie leave, and replaced him with Patterson, which turned out to be a disaster.  We could've resigned him at a much cheaper rate for two reasons.  One, he wouldn't have had to leave, and continuity helps lower the price (as witnessed by teams resigning guys below market value).  And second, he would've gotten torched last year in our defense with him covering just No. 1 WRs, instead he got to rebuild his value across from the No. 1 CB and good safety play.  

3.  He didn't even bother to look at Revis when it was evident that he wanted to come back.  His "plan" was too far above getting the best CB in the game.  The downside not only drove up his price, but it led to NE getting a stout defense and a ring.  

4.  He whiffed on the greatest ensemble of draft WRs we have seen ever most likely.  So many teams improved their WR spots by picking up a stud last year, while we whiffed over and over again.  

5.  He went against something even draftniks on these boards could tell you.  You don't have 12 spots on the roster to have all 12 count, should try to move around a bit more because you can't keep them all.  What did he do?  Keep all 12, and pretty much lost most of them anyway.   

6.  He gave a win now proclamation to Rex, and then didn't bother to actually support how to build a roster with what Rex can coach.  His whole system is predicated on good corner play causing problems with the QB, and blitzing.  We had quite possibly one of the worst CB groups assembled, especially after Milliner went down.  We had guys off the street starting for us in a matter of weeks.   

7.  Mike Goodson.  

8.  Percy Harvin trade.  Here's a guy who is doing nothing, being a malcontent on a team many were saying could be a dynasty, and in need of a playmaker.  They couldn't wait to get rid of him, and we swoop him up for a conditional pick, and then don't offer to restructure his deal.  What made him think that the Harvin that wasn't doing much on a Seattle team with a better RB, better QB would somehow turn it around in NY?  Even if he did turn it around, he wasn't worth the pick and the money.   Not only this, but he cost some cap because the cap counted last year, and we couldn't carry over that money, around 7 million or so for this year.  That 7 million could be useful right about now.  Not to mention, he made this trade when we were completely out of it.  

9.  Various rumors about how he would lowball people and upset agents and players.  

10.  Team has 3 SS on the team, dying for a free safety, and what does this guy do?  Get another SS.   

11.  Dexter McDougle:  A guy many pegged as a 5th round prospect, we reach for him in the third, and pass up on:  Gaines, Moncrief, Brown.  

12.  Jalen Sauders:  A late round pick in almost everyone's opinion, a poor man's D'Anthony Thomas.  Which idiot does Idzik pick when he had a choice of both?  

To me, Idzik's biggest issue was he was trying to be too perfect.   He needed the right deal on his terms or he wouldn't do it, he needed the pick that surprised people but worked out anyway and look like a genius and he fell on his face.  You see the same type of people in fantasy leagues, where they offer crappy trades and always ask for the moon, eventually end up being mediocre and half the people refusing to deal with him.  Idzik just wasn't experienced enough to actually deal with folks who have seen this show numerous times over, and could call his bluff.  I'd be shocked if he actually got another GM job. 

Our wonderful off season we're having right now is due in large part to what he did. Like it or not.

and the offseason is not over yet. we still have the draft. using this logic, we should also be thanking idzik for sucking so bad, we are picking 6th in the draft. thanx, john!

Lol, god damn Idzik  

1.  The cap decisions were easy, Landry was a short deal lottery ticket, he performed well and cashed in.  You can't say he's in cap hell, and then credit him for letting them walk away without realizing the ramifications of being in cap hell in the first place.  Cap Hell = you can't really resign anyone of note because you actually don't have the cap room to do it, hence these players are walking anyway.  

2.  He let Cromartie leave, and replaced him with Patterson, which turned out to be a disaster.  We could've resigned him at a much cheaper rate for two reasons.  One, he wouldn't have had to leave, and continuity helps lower the price (as witnessed by teams resigning guys below market value).  And second, he would've gotten torched last year in our defense with him covering just No. 1 WRs, instead he got to rebuild his value across from the No. 1 CB and good safety play.  

3.  He didn't even bother to look at Revis when it was evident that he wanted to come back.  His "plan" was too far above getting the best CB in the game.  The downside not only drove up his price, but it led to NE getting a stout defense and a ring.  

4.  He whiffed on the greatest ensemble of draft WRs we have seen ever most likely.  So many teams improved their WR spots by picking up a stud last year, while we whiffed over and over again.  

5.  He went against something even draftniks on these boards could tell you.  You don't have 12 spots on the roster to have all 12 count, should try to move around a bit more because you can't keep them all.  What did he do?  Keep all 12, and pretty much lost most of them anyway.   

6.  He gave a win now proclamation to Rex, and then didn't bother to actually support how to build a roster with what Rex can coach.  His whole system is predicated on good corner play causing problems with the QB, and blitzing.  We had quite possibly one of the worst CB groups assembled, especially after Milliner went down.  We had guys off the street starting for us in a matter of weeks.   

7.  Mike Goodson.  

8.  Percy Harvin trade.  Here's a guy who is doing nothing, being a malcontent on a team many were saying could be a dynasty, and in need of a playmaker.  They couldn't wait to get rid of him, and we swoop him up for a conditional pick, and then don't offer to restructure his deal.  What made him think that the Harvin that wasn't doing much on a Seattle team with a better RB, better QB would somehow turn it around in NY?  Even if he did turn it around, he wasn't worth the pick and the money.   Not only this, but he cost some cap because the cap counted last year, and we couldn't carry over that money, around 7 million or so for this year.  That 7 million could be useful right about now.  Not to mention, he made this trade when we were completely out of it.  

9.  Various rumors about how he would lowball people and upset agents and players.  

10.  Team has 3 SS on the team, dying for a free safety, and what does this guy do?  Get another SS.   

11.  Dexter McDougle:  A guy many pegged as a 5th round prospect, we reach for him in the third, and pass up on:  Gaines, Moncrief, Brown.  

12.  Jalen Sauders:  A late round pick in almost everyone's opinion, a poor man's D'Anthony Thomas.  Which idiot does Idzik pick when he had a choice of both?  

To me, Idzik's biggest issue was he was trying to be too perfect.   He needed the right deal on his terms or he wouldn't do it, he needed the pick that surprised people but worked out anyway and look like a genius and he fell on his face.  You see the same type of people in fantasy leagues, where they offer crappy trades and always ask for the moon, eventually end up being mediocre and half the people refusing to deal with him.  Idzik just wasn't experienced enough to actually deal with folks who have seen this show numerous times over, and could call his bluff.  I'd be shocked if he actually got another GM job. 

BOOM

Lol, god damn Idzik

1. The cap decisions were easy, Landry was a short deal lottery ticket, he performed well and cashed in. You can't say he's in cap hell, and then credit him for letting them walk away without realizing the ramifications of being in cap hell in the first place. Cap Hell = you can't really resign anyone of note because you actually don't have the cap room to do it, hence these players are walking anyway.

2. He let Cromartie leave, and replaced him with Patterson, which turned out to be a disaster. We could've resigned him at a much cheaper rate for two reasons. One, he wouldn't have had to leave, and continuity helps lower the price (as witnessed by teams resigning guys below market value). And second, he would've gotten torched last year in our defense with him covering just No. 1 WRs, instead he got to rebuild his value across from the No. 1 CB and good safety play.

3. He didn't even bother to look at Revis when it was evident that he wanted to come back. His "plan" was too far above getting the best CB in the game. The downside not only drove up his price, but it led to NE getting a stout defense and a ring.

4. He whiffed on the greatest ensemble of draft WRs we have seen ever most likely. So many teams improved their WR spots by picking up a stud last year, while we whiffed over and over again.

5. He went against something even draftniks on these boards could tell you. You don't have 12 spots on the roster to have all 12 count, should try to move around a bit more because you can't keep them all. What did he do? Keep all 12, and pretty much lost most of them anyway.

6. He gave a win now proclamation to Rex, and then didn't bother to actually support how to build a roster with what Rex can coach. His whole system is predicated on good corner play causing problems with the QB, and blitzing. We had quite possibly one of the worst CB groups assembled, especially after Milliner went down. We had guys off the street starting for us in a matter of weeks.

7. Mike Goodson.

8. Percy Harvin trade. Here's a guy who is doing nothing, being a malcontent on a team many were saying could be a dynasty, and in need of a playmaker. They couldn't wait to get rid of him, and we swoop him up for a conditional pick, and then don't offer to restructure his deal. What made him think that the Harvin that wasn't doing much on a Seattle team with a better RB, better QB would somehow turn it around in NY? Even if he did turn it around, he wasn't worth the pick and the money. Not only this, but he cost some cap because the cap counted last year, and we couldn't carry over that money, around 7 million or so for this year. That 7 million could be useful right about now. Not to mention, he made this trade when we were completely out of it.

9. Various rumors about how he would lowball people and upset agents and players.

10. Team has 3 SS on the team, dying for a free safety, and what does this guy do? Get another SS.

11. Dexter McDougle: A guy many pegged as a 5th round prospect, we reach for him in the third, and pass up on: Gaines, Moncrief, Brown.

12. Jalen Sauders: A late round pick in almost everyone's opinion, a poor man's D'Anthony Thomas. Which idiot does Idzik pick when he had a choice of both?

To me, Idzik's biggest issue was he was trying to be too perfect. He needed the right deal on his terms or he wouldn't do it, he needed the pick that surprised people but worked out anyway and look like a genius and he fell on his face. You see the same type of people in fantasy leagues, where they offer crappy trades and always ask for the moon, eventually end up being mediocre and half the people refusing to deal with him. Idzik just wasn't experienced enough to actually deal with folks who have seen this show numerous times over, and could call his bluff. I'd be shocked if he actually got another GM job.

Wow, that's a lot of words. I'd better take your opinions seriously.

Ooooooh so Tanny's big plan was to be free from of all the big money in 2013 but got fired first. I see.

Listen.  I'm no Idzik supporter but I'm also not really all that biased (most of the time).  Tanny was our GM from 2006-2012. We never had cap space like that or 12 picks in the draft during his entire time here. To try and sell that Idzik pulled that off with anything that Tanny ever thought of is not getting bought man. Letting players go is just as difficult and important of a situation as signing players. They are decisions that have to be made. Tanny had three picks one year.  Sanchez, Slauson and Green.

That's not to say that Tanny couldn't have done a bunch of other things and gotten better results but the point I made is the same.  Idzik placed the Jets in a position to completely re organize the team for the better. 40 mil in cap space and 12 picks. He dropped the ball on the talent side in both FA and the draft. Our wonderful off season we're having right now is due in large part to what he did. Like it or not.

Pretty much, however I am not going out of my way to create a thread thanking Idzik.

So letting go of Sanchez and Holmes were difficult moves?  That's $20 million right there.

and the offseason is not over yet. we still have the draft. using this logic, we should also be thanking idzik for sucking so bad, we are picking 6th in the draft. thanx, john!

Technically you're right.  Thanks Idzik!   And if some of his picks would have shown more potential maybe we don't pull the trigger on the Marshalls and Skrines of the world either. 

Thanks again Idzik!   :D

Accountant #1 kicked the can down the road, Accountant #2 traded it in for a shiny new nickle he would never take out of his pocket. Then along came an Adonis. A man who took the accountants change on his way to buy cold beer and bacon, this man throws his can's in the trash. He's too busy making sh*t happen to recycle. #Maccagnan4life

Technically you're right.  Thanks Idzik!   And if some of his picks would have shown more potential maybe we don't pull the trigger on the Marshalls and Skrines of the world either. 

Thanks again Idzik!   :biggrin:

Skrine is a good pickup.  Young, up and comer.  It is the Cromartie and Marshall deals that are more age related.

So letting go of Sanchez and Holmes were difficult moves?  That's $20 million right there.

I would say Keller, Landry and Slauson were more difficult. And some others.

Holmes was basically done and a cancer. That's not the best example of course. Rex would have kept Sanchez and you know it. Anything to validate that tattoo of his.

Skrine is a good pickup.  Young, up and comer.  It is the Cromartie and Marshall deals that are more age related.

I don't think it's possible to find anything negative about the Marshall deal.  We were able to replace Harvin (+10.5mil and a 4th) with a much better receiver in Marshal for under $8mil.  Plus pretty sure if it doesn't workout, we can dump him next year with no cap hit.  If he plays at his normal level, we have him for 3 years for well under market value.

Why do I care that we had 12 picks in the draft?  The extra first in 2013 was much more important.  All those compensatory picks didn't have much value and with Idzik making the choices,even less.  

of course they have value.  That's a silly statement.  We just got brandon Marshall for a 5th man.

The other half of what you said holds true. Idziks propensity to take injury prone corners being one fine example of that point.

Accountant #1 kicked the can down the road, Accountant #2 traded it in for a shiny new nickle he would never take out of his pocket. Then along came an Adonis. A man who took the accountants change on his way to buy cold beer and bacon, this man throws his can's in the trash. He's too busy making sh*t happen to recycle. #Maccagnan4life

That was quite a lot of metaphor right there.

Especially thanks for not signing Revis and Cro last year for cheaper than what we had to pay for them this year.  That Revis decision was SWEET!  By letting NE get another SB ring, Idzik really did great things for this team.

yeah really....not even bothering to talk to revis last year was the ultimate stupid

exactly.

Idzik was the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise.  Cost us in so many ways including the loss of one of the best coaches we've ever had.

Lol, if there is anything positive about Idzik is it allowed us to dump that overrated doofus blowhard out on his ass.

See?

If there's one thing that keeps me up at night it's my ratio of pos to negative rep on JN.  When I look down and see that little red minus 1 from BP and/or TomShane my world is turned completely upside down.  Not afraid to admit I've cried about it on more than 1 occasion.

If there's one thing that keeps me up at night it's my ratio of pos to negative rep on JN.  When I look down and see that little red minus 1 from BP and/or TomShane my world is turned completely upside down.  Not afraid to admit I've cried about it on more than 1 occasion.

Cooooooock COOOOOOOOOOOOCK yoooooooUUUUUUUUU are such a huge coooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK.

(meant to be read in an opera singing voice)

Cooooooock COOOOOOOOOOOOCK yoooooooUUUUUUUUU are such a huge coooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK.

(meant to be read in an opera singing voice)

The lady friend already tabbed this one for our wedding song.

Lol, god damn Idzik  

7.  Mike Goodson.  

I agree with most of this actually.

Archived