John Idzik

Tinstar

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's possible to find anything negative about the Marshall deal.  We were able to replace Harvin (+10.5mil and a 4th) with a much better receiver in Marshal for under $8mil.  Plus pretty sure if it doesn't workout, we can dump him next year with no cap hit.  If he plays at his normal level, we have him for 3 years for well under market value.

The negatives to the Marshall deal basically come from who he isn't.  They are putting a lot of money into the position and have a guy that is towards the end. I don't see the deal as a negative at all, just pointing out that these are not guys that will probably be here for the long haul.  We went from doing nothing but looking out the window and dreaming for the future to acting (Johnny Mitchell style) like there is no tomorrow.

of course they have value.  That's a silly statement.  We just got brandon Marshall for a 5th man.

The other half of what you said holds true. Idziks propensity to take injury prone corners being one fine example of that point.

They have value.  Not much.  I think I might trade the rest of both of Idzik's full drafts for Richardson.  I'd go full Ditka.  At least consider it.  How many of those 5th and 6th round picks will even make the team the year?  With 17 FA DBs, adding vets left and right, another full draft class coming in, where is the room?  Everybody wants to draft a 1st round pick to ride the pine for  a year, but they are afraid to leave a roster spot for a later round LB to groom?

You guys realize we could have had Revis and Cro last season right? Instead Idzik wasted $5 mil on The dog-killer qb and scrubs like Patterdon.

People keep saying this, but I don't believe it to be true.  Revis signed with the Pats late in free agency and he signed a contract that gave him 12mil and an out.  There's no way in hades Revis was going to sign that kind of deal with the Jets and it would have been utterly stupid for the Jets to sign him to that kind of deal if he wanted to take it. 

Revis was either coming to the Jets for the type of contract he signed this year or he wasn't coming.  Guess what, he didn't come. Revisionist history can be written to fit the desires of the writer, but doesn't have to be base on anything but one's own wishful thinking.

Idzik didn't do anything genius.  The way the contracts were structured by Tannenbaum is what eventually led to the cap space.

Whether it was Tannenbaum's plan or not, John Idzik made simple, no-brainer moves to get the team under the cap in his first season. Cutting guys like Pace, Scott, Justin & Eric Smith. Cutting Holmes salary. No creative genius there.

Tanny's mistake and downfall was Tebow. Woody's mistake was thinking he can get a GM to work with Rex after firing Tanny, Somebody needed to slap some sense into Woody

Tannenbaum's downfall was his utter failure at the QB position. Sanchez's contract extension and the Tebow trade sealed his fate.

Woody definitely screwed up by trying to hire a GM to be Rex's boss. It was a terrible structure plan, and led to the team hiring someone as incompetent as Idzik. If Rex was so beloved by the owner, he should've put him in charge of everything, and hired a personnel guy under him. NOT THAT I THINK THAT WOULD'VE BEEN SUCCESSFUL, EITHER. Just that what he attempted to do was dumb.

People keep saying this, but I don't believe it to be true.  Revis signed with the Pats late in free agency and he signed a contract that gave him 12mil and an out.  There's no way in hades Revis was going to sign that kind of deal with the Jets and it would have been utterly stupid for the Jets to sign him to that kind of deal if he wanted to take it. 

Revis was either coming to the Jets for the type of contract he signed this year or he wasn't coming.  Guess what, he didn't come. Revisionist history can be written to fit the desires of the writer, but doesn't have to be base on anything but one's own wishful thinking.

Would he have come for an extra million per?  Revis for $13M + Cromartie for $3.5M?  =  $16.5M  - VIck($5M), CJ ($2.5-3M), and 1.2 year of Harvin ($7M) would have cost like $2M extra.  Throw in the $3M he was trying to pay Patterson and you're net ahead.  With a functional secondary!  Can you imagine!  The only downside of that would be that Rex and Idzik might not have been fired.

Would he have come for an extra million per?  Revis for $13M + Cromartie for $3.5M?  =  $16.5M  - VIck($5M), CJ ($2.5-3M), and 1.2 year of Harvin ($7M) would have cost like $2M extra.  Throw in the $3M he was trying to pay Patterson and you're net ahead.  With a functional secondary!  Can you imagine!  The only downside of that would be that Rex and Idzik might not have been fired.

That's a pretty big downside, don't you think?

This Jet fan want to extent a Huuuuuuuuuuuuge thank you to our former General Manager who was instrumental in allowing all that has gone on over the past 3 days to occur. Had this man spend our cap money on scrub players like DRC and the like because of all the pressure he was under, the Franchise would not now be in the position that it finds itself in.

Where would the money have come from to sign Revis and Skrine . To add  Carpenter to the OL and bring in a player like Fitzpatrick to compete at the QB position ?

Finally, I want to thank you Mr Idzik for falling on the sword and allowing us to rid this franchise of that fraud of a HC Wrecks Ryan who should have been fired 3 yrs ago after the fiasco in Miami with Santonio Holmes.

Mr Idzik I want you to know that your sacrifice was much appreciated and will never be forgotten by this Jet fan.

Thank you Sir.

How you spend your time trying to defend this idiot is simply incredible.  His cap reconciling simply amounted to waiting until guys like Holmes, Cro and Sanchez could be cut and then doing so.  He then proceeded to drool all over himself in free agency last year only to waste $8M in cap space this year by trading for Harvin when we were 1-7.  The guy is a steaming pile of garbage as a GM and you make it your life's work to defend him.  What a sad existence...

That's a pretty big downside, don't you think?

#27isaRexApologist

How you spend your time trying to defend this idiot is simply incredible.  His cap reconciling simply amounted to waiting until guys like Holmes, Cro and Sanchez could be cut and then doing so.  He then proceeded to drool all over himself in free agency last year only to waste $8M in cap space this year by trading for Harvin when we were 1-7.  The guy is a steaming pile of garbage as a GM and you make it your life's work to defend him.  What a sad existence...

To be fair, it appears that he only went after Harvin in a futile attempt to get a few wins and save his job.  The writing was already on the wall at that point.  I'm sure he wasn't thinking I will create all this cap space for the next guy.  I assume he wanted to be the one that would spend it. 

Lol, god damn Idzik  

1.  The cap decisions were easy, Landry was a short deal lottery ticket, he performed well and cashed in.  You can't say he's in cap hell, and then credit him for letting them walk away without realizing the ramifications of being in cap hell in the first place.  Cap Hell = you can't really resign anyone of note because you actually don't have the cap room to do it, hence these players are walking anyway.  

2.  He let Cromartie leave, and replaced him with Patterson, which turned out to be a disaster.  We could've resigned him at a much cheaper rate for two reasons.  One, he wouldn't have had to leave, and continuity helps lower the price (as witnessed by teams resigning guys below market value).  And second, he would've gotten torched last year in our defense with him covering just No. 1 WRs, instead he got to rebuild his value across from the No. 1 CB and good safety play.  

3.  He didn't even bother to look at Revis when it was evident that he wanted to come back.  His "plan" was too far above getting the best CB in the game.  The downside not only drove up his price, but it led to NE getting a stout defense and a ring.  

4.  He whiffed on the greatest ensemble of draft WRs we have seen ever most likely.  So many teams improved their WR spots by picking up a stud last year, while we whiffed over and over again.  

5.  He went against something even draftniks on these boards could tell you.  You don't have 12 spots on the roster to have all 12 count, should try to move around a bit more because you can't keep them all.  What did he do?  Keep all 12, and pretty much lost most of them anyway.   

6.  He gave a win now proclamation to Rex, and then didn't bother to actually support how to build a roster with what Rex can coach.  His whole system is predicated on good corner play causing problems with the QB, and blitzing.  We had quite possibly one of the worst CB groups assembled, especially after Milliner went down.  We had guys off the street starting for us in a matter of weeks.   

7.  Mike Goodson.  

8.  Percy Harvin trade.  Here's a guy who is doing nothing, being a malcontent on a team many were saying could be a dynasty, and in need of a playmaker.  They couldn't wait to get rid of him, and we swoop him up for a conditional pick, and then don't offer to restructure his deal.  What made him think that the Harvin that wasn't doing much on a Seattle team with a better RB, better QB would somehow turn it around in NY?  Even if he did turn it around, he wasn't worth the pick and the money.   Not only this, but he cost some cap because the cap counted last year, and we couldn't carry over that money, around 7 million or so for this year.  That 7 million could be useful right about now.  Not to mention, he made this trade when we were completely out of it.  

9.  Various rumors about how he would lowball people and upset agents and players.  

10.  Team has 3 SS on the team, dying for a free safety, and what does this guy do?  Get another SS.   

11.  Dexter McDougle:  A guy many pegged as a 5th round prospect, we reach for him in the third, and pass up on:  Gaines, Moncrief, Brown.  

12.  Jalen Sauders:  A late round pick in almost everyone's opinion, a poor man's D'Anthony Thomas.  Which idiot does Idzik pick when he had a choice of both?  

To me, Idzik's biggest issue was he was trying to be too perfect.   He needed the right deal on his terms or he wouldn't do it, he needed the pick that surprised people but worked out anyway and look like a genius and he fell on his face.  You see the same type of people in fantasy leagues, where they offer crappy trades and always ask for the moon, eventually end up being mediocre and half the people refusing to deal with him.  Idzik just wasn't experienced enough to actually deal with folks who have seen this show numerous times over, and could call his bluff.  I'd be shocked if he actually got another GM job. 

For someone who hates Idzik with every fiber of my being... this is the greatest post I have ever seen. 

To be fair, it appears that he only went after Harvin in a futile attempt to get a few wins and save his job.  The writing was already on the wall at that point.  I'm sure he wasn't thinking I will create all this cap space for the next guy.  I assume he wanted to be the one that would spend it. 

I am not going to give him a pass because his job was in jeopardy and he made one last reckless attempt at saving it.  If he gave his coach some players to work with, they probably would not have been 1-7 and maybe he would not have been so desperate.  You can't ride into town touting how your philosophy is to stockpile cap space or "room" as he so eloquently put it in that abortion of a press conference and then when it blows up in your face turn around and waste $8M of room because you realize your "plan" was a failure.

I am not going to give him a pass because his job was in jeopardy and he made one last reckless attempt at saving it.  If he gave his coach some players to work with, they probably would not have been 1-7 and maybe he would not have been so desperate.  You can't ride into town touting how your philosophy is to stockpile cap space or "room" as he so eloquently put it in that abortion of a press conference and then when it blows up in your face turn around and waste $8M of room because you realize your "plan" was a failure.

Preaching to the choir.  I actually think he'd have made a better case if he just portrayed it as a lost season and told everyone to expect big things in 2015.  That deal cost us $7+M and a 6th rounder (which Idzik apparently finds very valuable) for the tiny hope of slightly more excitement during a season where we already could not make the playoffs.

This might have been the plan all along, pushing all of our unused cap money into 2015 when there were so many very good free agents available.

Last years free agent market sucked!

Do you honestly believe that in NY Woody can just come out & say we are tanking the season for next year?

Everyone on gods green earth knew the Jets had very little chance of having a decent year with so many holes & what most pundents called the worst roster in football other than our Dline and a couple of lineman.

Idzik fell on his own sword for the good of our future. Plus we finally canned Bradway who was responsible for picking Nugent in the 2nd round & trading up for Dwayne Robertson & if I had to hear again how he was so hot for Russell Wilson they were calling him Russell Bradway I'll puke! By the time he "wanted" Wilson he had already lost credibility anyway. He should have been jettisoned a long time ago. He was one of those guys we all thought must have a pictures of Woody in compromising positions.

At least Idzik got us Sheldon Richardson, the best draft pick since Revis.

Preaching to the choir.  I actually think he'd have made a better case if he just portrayed it as a lost season and told everyone to expect big things in 2015.  That deal cost us $7+M and a 6th rounder (which Idzik apparently finds very valuable) for the tiny hope of slightly more excitement during a season where we already could not make the playoffs.

I agree totally... though after watching his offseasons in action I really have a hard time convincing myself that he had the ability to be "active" in free agency no matter how much "room" he had because of his slow-moving, low-balling nature.

This might have been the plan all along, pushing all of our unused cap money into 2015 when there were so many very good free agents available.

Do you honestly believe that in NY Woody can just come out & say we are tanking the season for next year?

Everyone on gods green earth knew the Jets had very little chance of having a decent year with so many holes & what most pundents called the worst roster in football other than our Dline and a couple of lineman.

Idzik fell on his own sword for the good of our future. Plus we finally canned Bradway who was responsible for picking Nugent in the 2nd round & trading up for Dwayne Robertson & if I had to hear again how he was so hot for Russell Wilson they were calling him Russell Bradway I'll puke! By the time he "wanted" Wilson he had already lost credibility anyway. He should have been jettisoned a long time ago. He was one of those guys we all thought must have a pictures of Woody in compromising positions.

Last year's FA market sucked?  At CB?  All the guys up now were free then.  Plus DRC and Talib.  Revis, Cromartie, Verner, Vontae Davis.  We signed Elvis Patterson.  Ooops, I mean Dimitri. Sorry Space Ghost.

He made the best draft pick since a guy drafted by his predecessor?  My hero.  IMO Mo@30 > Sheldn@13.

Especially thanks for not signing Revis and Cro last year for cheaper than what we had to pay for them this year.  That Revis decision was SWEET!  By letting NE get another SB ring, Idzik really did great things for this team.

Exactly, Cro would have been 3 yrs for $9MM and Revis 4 yrs for $55MM last year and this would be the 2nd year of those deal.  And with those two we would have had a better record. 

He did sign Patterson who went AWOL, Goodson who pissed himself passed out on Rt 80 with a loaded gun, went 2 for 12 on draft picks last year, prevented a QB competition in Training Camp last August and the list goes on.... 

This is such a misguided argument.  You can never predict a year in advance what the free agent crop will be when teams re-sign players and franchise players (see D.Bryant and D. Thomas).  This year's CB free agent crop was not better than last year.  Byron Maxwell and Kareem McKenzie are not better than Vontae Davis, Talib and Alterraun Verner.

The next argument that makes no sense is the "we were never going to contend" argument.  We were 8-8 with $45M to spend and 12 draft picks!!!!  No GM looks at that and says "we suck, we can't win, let's tank the season". 

And the argument that made me laugh out loud and spit out water is the "Idzik fell on his sword for the good of our future".  That could be the funniest sentence I have ever read.  Now he's Bruce Willis in Armageddon!   So he made horrendous personnel evaluations both in the draft and in free agency and that was all for the betterment of the organization that he sacrificed himself for.  Get a clue!!.  Going 1 for 17 in draft picks rightfully gets you fired in this league.

Idzik did a lot right, especially for having a lousy head coach foisted on him.  The thing that sunk him was a lousy draft last year when we could have set this team up in a lot of areas.  As stated by others what we are doing this year is because of him.  I like the guys we have in charge now but Idzik got a very bad rap that was not deserved.  Not that this will change anyones mind.

I like the guys we have in charge now but Idzik got a very bad rap that was not deserved.  Not that this will change anyones mind.

Just saying it does not make it so.  The rap was well deserved... very well deserved and he is where he should be; pushing pencils in a back office for a losing franchise.

Idzik did a lot right, especially for having a lousy head coach foisted on him.  The thing that sunk him was a lousy draft last year when we could have set this team up in a lot of areas.  As stated by others what we are doing this year is because of him.  I like the guys we have in charge now but Idzik got a very bad rap that was not deserved.  Not that this will change anyones mind.

I agree totally.

He handled contracts well.  I thought CJ would be better than he was.  Passing on Cro made no sense.  He did a good job letting FA go, not signing any FA to get all the comp picks.

But having 12 picks and getting what he got....   wow.

idzik tried to spend the money last year, he just failed. again and again. there was no plan to save the money. he was forced to because of his incompetence. could you imagine if idzik was retained for this year and he was met with the much higher free agency prices? the jets would be in the same position this year as last year

simply put, idzik was the worst thing to ever happen to the franchise, and the best thing this franchise has done in a decade or so was unfairly cut bait with him. given that he wasn't given a chance to pull off his master plan and all

This Jet fan want to extent a Huuuuuuuuuuuuge thank you to our former General Manager who was instrumental in allowing all that has gone on over the past 3 days to occur. Had this man spend our cap money on scrub players like DRC and the like because of all the pressure he was under, the Franchise would not now be in the position that it finds itself in.

Where would the money have come from to sign Revis and Skrine . To add  Carpenter to the OL and bring in a player like Fitzpatrick to compete at the QB position ?

Finally, I want to thank you Mr Idzik for falling on the sword and allowing us to rid this franchise of that fraud of a HC Wrecks Ryan who should have been fired 3 yrs ago after the fiasco in Miami with Santonio Holmes.

Mr Idzik I want you to know that your sacrifice was much appreciated and will never be forgotten by this Jet fan.

Thank you Sir.

Problem is I doubt he knew it would turn out this way. I say thank you NEW GM Mike Maccagnan for being the anti-Idzik and making some actual moves that improves the talent base on the Jets.

idzik tried to spend the money last year, he just failed. again and again. there was no plan to save the money. he was forced to because of his incompetence. could you imagine if idzik was retained for this year and he was met with the much higher free agency prices? the jets would be in the same position this year as last year

simply put, idzik was the worst thing to ever happen to the franchise, and the best thing this franchise has done in a decade or so was unfairly cut bait with him. given that he wasn't given a chance to pull off his master plan and all

Unfortunately your opinion does not provide substantial evidence of the given situation. It was well documented that Idzik was never going to get in a bidding war for a player because adding one high priced player to a quickly fading team was not a good plan for long term success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately your opinion does not provide substantial evidence of the given situation. It was well documented that Idzik was never going to get in a bidding war for a player because adding one high priced player to a quickly fading team was not a good plan for long term success.

nonsense, it was widely reported that idzik contacted and negotiated with plenty of free agents. a bidding war has nothing to do with it, especially when it was reported that idzik was using the low ball approach. there is plenty of evidence to support my opinion

At what point under Idzik was the team "fading?"  They were coming off a sh*t year and dumped contracts.  Now they were supposed to be fading in 2014?  He didn't have to add "one high priced player" but he had to add some players. He did not.  When Willie Colon is your second best FA signing you are an idiot.

Just saying it does not make it so.  The rap was well deserved... very well deserved and he is where he should be; pushing pencils in a back office for a losing franchise.

How is your 1st sentence any different than what is being talked about on here?  Just saying he was bad does not make it so.  Peoples Idzik logic fails when they will not acknowledge anything he did that was right saying such gems as 'anyone could have done the good things he did but he was horrible for all the bad things.'

He left the team in great cap shape and this team could easily have been 2 or 3 wins better than last year but with no cap space, rex at the helm and no change at all.  I don't expect to change anyone's mind but the comments of ' he did nothing right and everything wrong' are false and silly.

Blah Blah Blah sustainable success... blah blah blah.  You Idiotzik apologists love to use revisionist history.  In 2012 we were 6-10.  Idiotzik tore down the roster (rightly) in 2013 and we still managed to go 8-8 with a rookie QB - WE WERE NOT CONSIDERED A QUICKLY FADING TEAM!!!!!! - We were 8-8 with a rookie QB going into his 2nd year, the defensive ROY and $45M and 12 draft picks to further improve upon this.  Stop acting like we were 2-12 for 10 years prior to last year.   I said it for weeks after he slept through free agency... he better hit this draft out of the park or he's done.  And his draft was a complete disgrace and now he's rightfully out on his rear end.

How is your 1st sentence any different than what is being talked about on here?  Just saying he was bad does not make it so.  Peoples Idzik logic fails when they will not acknowledge anything he did that was right saying such gems as 'anyone could have done the good things he did but he was horrible for all the bad things.'

He left the team in great cap shape and this team could easily have been 2 or 3 wins better than last year but with no cap space, rex at the helm and no change at all.  I don't expect to change anyone's mind but the comments of ' he did nothing right and everything wrong' are false and silly.

Refer to "win4ever"'s post at the top of this page for 12 reasons why your precious GM was a complete disaster.  I don't need to repost it again.  And that leaves out other awful moves such as David Garrard.  You have failed to provide anything close to as strong an argument as to why he was even adequate.  And then you whine about how you won't change anyone's mind - there is a reason for that - you are dead freaking wrong and are one of 3 people on earth who defend the guy!

I do not give him credit for cutting Sanchez, Cro and Holmes after the 2012 season - NONE.  Any GM would have made those exact same moves.  These moves plus sitting on his hands are the only things that put us in this cap position.  Sitting on his hands and drafting like a baboon also put us in this organizational position.

I do give him credit for Richardson but in the same draft he missed on a top 10 pick so he was 1 out of 2 in top 15 selections.  I liked his signing of Decker and CJ2K but we were both wrong on the latter.

Simply stating that he did not do EVERYTHING wrong and that EVERY move was not an abject failure is a hell of a defense of the guy.  It does not need to be so for him to be an awful GM and even if he got it right 10% of the time, that's still horrendous.

He will rightfully go down as possibly the worst NFL GM in the last 20 years as much as that kills you to hear.

Last year's FA market sucked?  At CB?  All the guys up now were free then.  Plus DRC and Talib.  Revis, Cromartie, Verner, Vontae Davis.  We signed Elvis Patterson.  Ooops, I mean Dimitri. Sorry Space Ghost.

He made the best draft pick since a guy drafted by his predecessor?  My hero.  IMO Mo@30 > Sheldn@13.

It's so easy to pile on. Hindsight is 20/20.

But when the JETS refused to sign Cro a great majority of the posters here did not care. Because he was coming off a subpar year with the JETS.  Only very few posters did think a 1 year deal for 3-4 mill he was getting from the Cardinals was a low risk/high reward deal.

Revis was also coming of a subpar year by his standard. And i guess Woody still did not want to sign Revis then. A 4-12 season does a lot to change an owner's mind. But last season the owner was one season removed from wanting to get rid of Revis. So Revis had a very good season but not the kind of season he had in 2009. If last season anyone had given Revis a 55 mill deal (assuming he was willing to take one) coming of the subpar season he had with Tampa this whole board would have got a collective aneurysm.

IIRC Vontae Davis was signed before he could hit the market.

DRC was a great non signing. Just look at what he did for the Giants.

So now with the benefit of hindsight you can criticize a GM all you want but last season I won't blame him not making the Revis, DRC move. Also the plan was to get younger. It did not work out for the JETS. But that's always the risk you take when you are trying to build with the draft.

Couple of things:

Idzik does not really get any credit at all for the cap space, everyone in the world knew those moves were coming.

Idzik gets credit for 2 moves:

1) He got a lot for Revis coming off an injury without much leverage at all

2) He woke up Woody to his stupidity in keeping Rex here 2 years longer than he had any business being here.

For the 2nd move, I am trying to get a FatHead of John Idzik to put on my wall, I will be forever grateful for his contributions in cleansing out the horrid stench that was Rex Ryan football.

Idzik was not perfect, not by a long shot but looking at the other side of the coin he did a few good things here.

The trade and signing of Chris Ivory, the signing of Decker, the drafting of Sheldon Richardson, Aboushi and Amaro did help the team.

Also i do not believe that its fair to judge a draft class at the end of season one. Last season no one had Aboushi penciled in as a starter. Heck he was not even active for pretty much all of his rookie season. But he started for us in his second season and did well. I won't be surprised if some of the players Idzik drafted last draft turn out to be good for us in the next few seasons.

It's so easy to pile on. Hindsight is 20/20.

But when the JETS refused to sign Cro a great majority of the posters here did not care. Because he was coming off a subpar year with the JETS.  Only very few posters did think a 1 year deal for 3-4 mill he was getting from the Cardinals was a low risk/high reward deal.

Revis was also coming of a subpar year by his standard. And i guess Woody still did not want to sign Revis then. A 4-12 season does a lot to change an owner's mind. But last season the owner was one season removed from wanting to get rid of Revis. So Revis had a very good season but not the kind of season he had in 2009. If last season anyone had given Revis a 55 mill deal (assuming he was willing to take one) coming of the subpar season he had with Tampa this whole board would have got a collective aneurysm.

IIRC Vontae Davis was signed before he could hit the market.

DRC was a great non signing. Just look at what he did for the Giants.

So now with the benefit of hindsight you can criticize a GM all you want but last season I won't blame him not making the Revis, DRC move. Also the plan was to get younger. It did not work out for the JETS. But that's always the risk you take when you are trying to build with the draft.

I was with the board with letting Cromartie walk, but that was before the guy whiffed on the market.  He seemed to want Davis and didn't go after anybody else before DRC.  The DRC deal may turn out to be pretty decent when you consider the way contracts are going up.  Davis did not sign until after the "legal tampering" window.  We just didn't wow him.  Wanting Davis (along with Richardson) was one of the few instances that he showed any sign of decent talent evaluation.  They absolutely needed a CB and everybody knew it.  They never got one and there were plenty on the  market.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt on Patterson until I saw him play.. 

9. Various rumors about how he would lowball people and upset agents and players.

At the risk of spoiling a perfectly good lynching how is this a bad thing. This is business. The worse they can say is NO. Agents and players getting upset ? For what ? These are not 4 year old kids.

But that's how you sometimes get the best deals. Any halfway decent negotiator would tell you that.

I was with the board with letting Cromartie walk, but that was before the guy whiffed on the market.  He seemed to want Davis and didn't go after anybody else before DRC.  The DRC deal may turn out to be pretty decent when you consider the way contracts are going up.  Davis did not sign until after the "legal tampering" window.  We just didn't wow him.  Wanting Davis (along with Richardson) was one of the few instances that he showed any sign of decent talent evaluation.  They absolutely needed a CB and everybody knew it.  They never got one and there were plenty on the  market.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt on Patterson until I saw him play.. 

IIRC Davis never hit the open market. He had a deal set with the Colts before he hit FA. Everybody can only sign the deal after the "legal tapering" window. But he deal done right at the start of that window. He did not visit anyone. Period.

The way DRC performed last season people here would have wanted him buried alive before the season ended. Didn't he a few very very awful games. So let's not pretend that would have been a very popular move. And frankly DRC did not perform like a #1 or #2 CB. So what's the use for the long term deal for mediocre.

Archived