John Idzik

Tinstar

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious as to why WJ didn't force JI hand signing Revis last year?

I'm speaking for myself, trading Revis was a major disappointment but did it take him two years to figure out it pissed off many Jets fans?

Idzik made the decision and told WJ and Rex we were fine with Patterson and Milliner.

I agreed with Idziks overall approach, which I felt was this;

year/phase 1 - dump awful contracts, get rid of sanchez and holmes

year/phase 2 - stockpile picks and get younger

year/phase 3 - use cap money to bring in veterans

phase 1 went well

phase 2 was a disaster and cost him his job

phase 3 is maccagnans bounty now

Possibly, maybe it was Revis rolling the dice for a one year prove it deal considering he was on an awful Bucs team and one year removed from ACL surgery. His agents sure know what there doing..

The problem with this thinking is that Revis had a great yr with the Bucs.  There are a bunch of post on here about how Idzik only did what Tannenbaum was going to do because of the way he structured certain contracts. I have no issue with this thinking. What I stated was that Idzik got us all this cap space because he didn't spend it on scrubs like DRC and the like. The one player I wished we could have gotten at CB was Vonte Davis  but he stayed with his team.  Revis wasn't coming here for what the Pats paid him and if he did, we see how that worked out for them this yr. Now some smart alex might say he got them a SB, but let's not forget about Brady Vs Geno and the idiotic play call that cost the Seahawks the game folks. Cromartie was injured ending the 2013 season and wasn't in the Jets plans . His contract last yr probably would have been a 1 yr prove it deal with the Jets. He would not have played for Bowles and just maybe he wouldn't be here today if he didn't. 

The way how Idzik saves us and got us to where we are today is he didn't spend the money the way Jet fans with present tense memories wanted him to do.  

Idzik signed 1 WR who happened to be the best available in free agency at the time.

Mc Cags traded for 1 WR who happened to be injured but has a solid past

Idzik signed a RT

McCags signed a RG

Finally, at the start of last season Jet Fans were giddy over the way Morningwig was calling plays  when we beat the Raiders and had a lead on the Pack. Today, 1 yr later those same fans call him an idiot.   Today McCags is the conquering hero, but let's see what the masses think at the end of the season.

Thus far, I happen to love what the man has done. Doesn't mean I didn't see what John Idzik wanted to do. Despite all that went wrong, Getting rid of Rex Ryan was worth it .

At least to me.

Jets fans have such a short memory.  This team had one of the worst cap situations in the NFL when Idzik took over.  The Jets were utterly cash-strapped and still unsuccessful.  A total rebuild was in order with no money to fund it.  Two years after Idzik came in, we have one of the best cap situations in the league (which allowed Mac to bring in any players he felt like signing), as well as adding 16 draft picks in two seasons--regardless of the picks' value to the team last season.  Amaro, Richardson, Pryor, McDougle, Dozier, Milliner, Geno, Aboushi, Bohannon, Evans, Enunwa, Enemkpali, and Reilly are all on the roster right now.  Did he spend on Revis or Cro or DRC last year?  Nope.  Because this team wasn't a contender and he isn't foolish.  He did pick up Harvin after heavy pressure and a bunch of bad press led by Manish Mehta and some billboards, but even that contract and trade were reasonable for a one year rental.  Idzik is a guy who scrimped and saved to have a sound future, but got taken in a divorce and now his ex wife is spending all her ill-gotten money on cars and suits for the well-hung pool boy.  You don't have to like him, but lets not pretend he was cheap for the fun of it.  He had a plan that likely needed three or four years to institute after being handed a difficult task of fixing a bad team.  He got two years and never had his own coach.  This doesn't prove Idzik was incompetent.  it proves Woody is child chasing bubbles in the yard.  He just can't seem to find the one he wants so goes after all of them.  And never catches any. John Idzik was shafted and he deserved at least one year with his own coach and the huge pile of cash he accumulated.  one make-or-break season.  He got walking papers from his spineless boss instead.  And ridicule from Jets fans who are now set up to reap the benefits of his efforts.  An unpopular view is not necessarily the wrong one.  Mac seems to love his new-found popularity, but Idzik, the nerd sitting alone at the lunch table, did an excellent job that will never be recognized.  Because he inherited a horrible team and turned it around in two seasons.  But didn't put the Jets on the back page often enough.

Amen.

The problem with this thinking is that Revis had a great yr with the Bucs.  There are a bunch of post on here about how Idzik only did what Tannenbaum was going to do because of the way he structured certain contracts. I have no issue with this thinking. What I stated was that Idzik got us all this cap space because he didn't spend it on scrubs like DRC and the like. The one player I wished we could have gotten at CB was Vonte Davis  but he stayed with his team.  Revis wasn't coming here for what the Pats paid him and if he did, we see how that worked out for them this yr. Now some smart alex might say he got them a SB, but let's not forget about Brady Vs Geno and the idiotic play call that cost the Seahawks the game folks. Cromartie was injured ending the 2013 season and wasn't in the Jets plans . His contract last yr probably would have been a 1 yr prove it deal with the Jets. He would not have played for Bowles and just maybe he wouldn't be here today if he didn't. 

The way how Idzik saves us and got us to where we are today is he didn't spend the money the way Jet fans with present tense memories wanted him to do.  

Idzik signed 1 WR who happened to be the best available in free agency at the time.

Idzik signed a RT

McCags signed a RG

Finally, at the start of last season Jet Fans were giddy over the way Morningwig was calling plays  when we beat the Raiders and had a lead on the Pack. Today, 1 yr later those same fans call him an idiot.   Today McCags is the conquering hero, but let's see what the masses think at the end of the season.

Thus far, I happen to love what the man has done. Doesn't mean I didn't see what John Idzik wanted to do. Despite all that went wrong, Getting rid of Rex Ryan was worth it .

At least to me.

That is the way i pretty much see it. Vontae Davis would have been a good corner to sign but we would have wasted the space by signing any of the other options last year. The injuries to Milliner/McDougle and Patterson going AWOL really hurt. Maybe he put too much reliance on guys that were not proven players. I did think he blew not getting a wr in the draft. Idzik was not an idiot as some want to proclaim. But at the end Jets had to move in a new direction. And I am happy with what i have seen so far. Jets are set up pretty well except at the most important position on the field. In the end that will determine how McCagnan?bowles do.

I can't believe being pro Idzik is actually a thing ...

are you guys pro lyme disease too?

I know shame <3's Idzik but he's an escaped mental patient

Either Eagles HC Kelly is a Genius or a lunatic . Today, many people think the man is a Lunatic. Tomorrow, he may be proven a Genius. At least he had the conviction to do things his way right or wrong.

That conviction is what defines Genius IMO, not the results.

That is the way i pretty much see it. Vontae Davis would have been a good corner to sign but we would have wasted the space by signing any of the other options last year. The injuries to Milliner/McDougle and Patterson going AWOL really hurt. Maybe he put too much reliance on guys that were not proven players. I did think he blew not getting a wr in the draft. Idzik was not an idiot as some want to proclaim. But at the end Jets had to move in a new direction. And I am happy with what i have seen so far. Jets are set up pretty well except at the most important position on the field. In the end that will determine how McCagnan?bowles do.

John Idzik's plan and Rex Ryan's plan were never the same. It was a house divided and doomed to fail.  Guess what, it failed. But even in failure, we got some prize gifts. 

We got rid of Rex .  Oh I feel like shouting.

We acquired  Richardson regardless of who gets the credit.

We got a Pass catching TE something most fans wanted

We got a quality WR in Decker who also happens to be a quality person.

We got some young talented OLmen

We got some young WRs who have talent.

We got millions to spend in free agency in 2015.

Thank you John Idzik.

The problem with this thinking is that Revis had a great yr with the Bucs. There are a bunch of post on here about how Idzik only did what Tannenbaum was going to do because of the way he structured certain contracts. I have no issue with this thinking. What I stated was that Idzik got us all this cap space because he didn't spend it on scrubs like DRC and the like. The one player I wished we could have gotten at CB was Vonte Davis but he stayed with his team. Revis wasn't coming here for what the Pats paid him and if he did, we see how that worked out for them this yr. Now some smart alex might say he got them a SB, but let's not forget about Brady Vs Geno and the idiotic play call that cost the Seahawks the game folks. Cromartie was injured ending the 2013 season and wasn't in the Jets plans . His contract last yr probably would have been a 1 yr prove it deal with the Jets. He would not have played for Bowles and just maybe he wouldn't be here today if he didn't.

Idzik signed a RT

McCags signed a RG

Finally, at the start of last season Jet Fans were giddy over the way Morningwig was calling plays when we beat the Raiders and had a lead on the Pack. Today, 1 yr later those same fans call him an idiot. Today McCags is the conquering hero, but let's see what the masses think at the end of the season.

At least to me.

Difficult to argue some of your points. Assuming the reason you mentioned for not getting Revis last season is true than it made sense but I disagree with trading him in the first place!

Every single poster here could've drafted better than Idzik did in his two drafts. Not hyperbole. Every single schmo here on this football message could've selected better players.

Let me ask you this by 1st making a comment. It is widely reported here and in many NFL circles that Idzik was more cap manager than  Talent evaluator. Is it possible that base on this belief, that Idziks choices which he was judged for by Fans and the media were heavily influenced by the scouting department and the desires of his HC ?

Is that even a consideration  ?

Difficult to argue some of your points. Assuming the reason you mentioned for not getting Revis last season is true than it made sense but I disagree with trading him in the first place!

I agree, but was that the GM's call, or the Owner. We know the HC wanted the Player. We understand the Job of the GM is to provide the HC with Players he needs. We further know that the Jets were cap strapped in that 1st yr. We further know that Idzik and Rex were not on the same page or even reading the same book.

It was a mess that IMO was navigated by Idzik the best he could.

Let me ask you this by 1st making a comment. It is widely reported here and in many NFL circles that Idzik was more cap manager than  Talent evaluator. Is it possible that base on this belief, that Idziks choices which he was judged for by Fans and the media were heavily influenced by the scouting department and the desires of his HC ?

It's absolutely a concideration. He had the same weakness as Tanny, one could presume. When you have that title, however, the final calls rest on your shoulders, and John Idzik had the instincts of a dead fish.

I can't believe being pro Idzik is actually a thing ...

are you guys pro lyme disease too?

I know shame <3's Idzik but he's an escaped mental patient

This.

It really is incredible that such a thing exists. 

This.

It really is incredible that such a thing exists. 

As hard as it is for you to believe, somewhere in the world there is somebody that doesn't like you. Can you believe that ?  I mean who wouldn't like you ?

Jets fans have such a short memory.  This team had one of the worst cap situations in the NFL when Idzik took over.  The Jets were utterly cash-strapped and still unsuccessful.  A total rebuild was in order with no money to fund it.  Two years after Idzik came in, we have one of the best cap situations in the league (which allowed Mac to bring in any players he felt like signing), as well as adding 16 draft picks in two seasons--regardless of the picks' value to the team last season.  Amaro, Richardson, Pryor, McDougle, Dozier, Milliner, Geno, Aboushi, Bohannon, Evans, Enunwa, Enemkpali, and Reilly are all on the roster right now.  Did he spend on Revis or Cro or DRC last year?  Nope.  Because this team wasn't a contender and he isn't foolish.  He did pick up Harvin after heavy pressure and a bunch of bad press led by Manish Mehta and some billboards, but even that contract and trade were reasonable for a one year rental.  Idzik is a guy who scrimped and saved to have a sound future, but got taken in a divorce and now his ex wife is spending all her ill-gotten money on cars and suits for the well-hung pool boy.  You don't have to like him, but lets not pretend he was cheap for the fun of it.  He had a plan that likely needed three or four years to institute after being handed a difficult task of fixing a bad team.  He got two years and never had his own coach.  This doesn't prove Idzik was incompetent.  it proves Woody is child chasing bubbles in the yard.  He just can't seem to find the one he wants so goes after all of them.  And never catches any. John Idzik was shafted and he deserved at least one year with his own coach and the huge pile of cash he accumulated.  one make-or-break season.  He got walking papers from his spineless boss instead.  And ridicule from Jets fans who are now set up to reap the benefits of his efforts.  An unpopular view is not necessarily the wrong one.  Mac seems to love his new-found popularity, but Idzik, the nerd sitting alone at the lunch table, did an excellent job that will never be recognized.  Because he inherited a horrible team and turned it around in two seasons.  But didn't put the Jets on the back page often enough.

You can choose to blame woody, and that's probably not entirely incorrect.  Idzik's drafts were an unmitigated disaster, and he couldn't close a door.  The GM's job is to bring in talent. Idzik failed in spectacular fashion in that regard.

If "being on the roster" is proof of anything, it's proof of how talent starved last years team was, not that the picks were any good.  Many of them certainly will not be on the roster September 1st, I can assure you of that.

If he had closed a corner by throwing guaranteed money at them, and drafted a WR rd 1 last year, he may have a job.  He didn't so he got fired

Every single poster here could've drafted better than Idzik did in his two drafts. Not hyperbole. Every single schmo here on this football message could've selected better players.

Agreed, and that is why he is gone. However, he could have also picked up a ton of high priced vets last year like DRC leaving us with a crappy cap situation like Mike T. At least he was smart enough to not waste money on high priced average players leaving the new administration with enough cap space to bring in studs like Revis/Marshall. 

Also, you cannot grade drafts so quickly. Sure Pryor had a bad year, but he was playing with the leagues worst corners and average Lbers and he was out of position. What happens if Pryor turns into a pro bowler under Bowles? and Amaro catches 70 balls this year? What if Shaq Evans or some of the other draft picks turn into solid players? All of a sudden Idzik will look pretty good. 

Agreed, and that is why he is gone. However, he could have also picked up a ton of high priced vets last year like DRC leaving us with a crappy cap situation like Mike T. At least he was smart enough to not waste money on high priced average players leaving the new administration with enough cap space to bring in studs like Revis/Marshall.

Also, you cannot grade drafts so quickly. Sure Pryor had a bad year, but he was playing with the leagues worst corners and average Lbers and he was out of position. What happens if Pryor turns into a pro bowler under Bowles? and Amaro catches 70 balls this year? What if Shaq Evans or some of the other draft picks turn into solid players? All of a sudden Idzik will look pretty good.

and who is responsible for that?

Hmm, well I wouldn't doubt it. Idzik didn't have a background in scouting, so I'm sure that the scouting department was heavily influential in the draft selections. But that doesn't absolve Idzik at all, as he hired all the scouts and talent evaluators.

Bottom line (for me) is that NFL General Managers have a long list of tasks that they are responsible for, but none is more important than the draft. I haven't given up on every player that Idzik drafted, but I'm pretty certain that we will not be looking back at these drafts and giving them grades of better than a C. They look like F's right now.

Hmm, well I wouldn't doubt it. Idzik didn't have a background in scouting, so I'm sure that the scouting department was heavily influential in the draft selections. But that doesn't absolve Idzik at all, as he hired all the scouts and talent evaluators.

Bottom line (for me) is that NFL General Managers have a long list of tasks that they are responsible for, but none is more important than the draft. I haven't given up on every player that Idzik drafted, but I'm pretty certain that we will not be looking back at these drafts and giving them grades of better than a C. They look like F's right now.

I would not have drafted Milliner, even after the player the Jets supposedly wanted was taken.

No way I draft a SS like Pryor in the 1st round. Especially with Bridgewater on the board and us not having a true Starting QB .

Mistakes were made, but the man did a solid Job.

Yes. It's a very strong consideration when discussing the fact that John Idzik was unqualified to be an NFL GM.

I would not have drafted Milliner, even after the player the Jets supposedly wanted was taken.

No way I draft a SS like Pryor in the 1st round. Especially with Bridgewater on the board and us not having a true Starting QB .

Mistakes were made, but the man did a solid Job.

Solidly awful.

Branden Cooks or Kelvin Benjamin was the safest pick in the first round since you can give Rex 12 scrubs on defense and he will field a good defense.  

Any way you slice it, Idzik will look horrendous at best.  It would had been pretty good if Idzik had taken ACC Maltavis Bryant 6'4 4.40 in the 40 yard and Bruce Ellington over the 5'6 punt returner and your "what if" IR player in the 4th round.   Even the ESPN deliveries boys at Radio City saw that garbage coming from 10 miles away.   

Don't you think that if Woody Johnson wanted Revis  back last year like he did this yr for a HC he forced Idzik  to work with, Revis would not have been here?  Everybody knows Rex wanted Revis back.  How on earth did John Idzik   managed to keep Revis away from Rex and Woody all by himself ?

Because HE was in charge and Woody doesn't tell his GM how to run the team. Yes, Idzik kept Revis away from the Jets ALL BY HIMSELF. Idzik was an incompetent GM and is in Jacksonville in a window-less room with a calculator doing what he knows how to do. Crunch numbers and save money under the cap. That is his ONLY talent. To say that in ANY WAY he is responsible for Jets success is idiotic. It was his TOTAL incompetence that led the Jets to Big Mac and Bowles. If you want to "thank him" for that be my guest.

he could have also picked up a ton of high priced vets last year like DRC leaving us

#1 most used excuse in the idzik support campaign. for the last time, drc was not the only free agent available.

Sure Pryor had a bad year, but he was playing with the leagues worst corners and average Lbers and he was out of position

#2 most used excuse in the idzik support campaign. pryor was a safety that idzik picked in the first round. with status like that, there should be no safety position that he cant play. and even if it were true, why in the world would you pick an in the box safety with the 18th overall pick?? the answer to this question is obvious.this boggles my mind

What happens if Pryor turns into a pro bowler under Bowles? and Amaro catches 70 balls this year? What if Shaq Evans or some of the other draft picks turn into solid players?

#3 most used excuse in the idzik support campaign. that is john idziks legacy. what if? what if the jets win the super bowl? what if geno turns into joe Montana? what if?

All of a sudden Idzik will look pretty good.

that would be great if some of the late rounders proved to be worthy. but even if they do, john idziks body of work was still sh*t

Archived