Is Bowles an innovator?

Jetster

This guy is so interesting to me. He comes highly praised from so many different people in the NFL.

While Rex has stuck with his fathers defense that has been around since the 85 Bears it seems to me Bowles has moved into 2015 with a different strategy.

Where Rex would blitz leaving guys like Harris & Pace playing in space, Bowles uses this BIG NICKEL approach.

When Rex once tried to play nickel vs the Pats 2 years ago in New England, Brady just audibled to a running play & kills us that day by getting into 2nd & 3rd & short.

Bowles likes to use versatile safeties that are good tacklers like pseudo LBs. Jets have JJ, AA, Pryor, & he signed Gilchrist.

Now it's harder if the other team has a move slot WR, so he signed Skrine (a CB that thrives taking the slot).

With Revis & Cromarty the outside WRs are locked down. Now if a team tries to audible to a run, guys like Pryor & Glichrist are tough enough to fill gaps similar to what a LB would bring.

I would imagine this scheme works really well when you have a stud run stuffing Dline that can also get after the QB like the Jets can. So, you've got safeties like LB & you have Safeties that can also play in space if need be. What's so intriguing about that is the opposing QB really has no specific guy that he can target because from the snap you could have a safety blitz, a safety go back & cover over the top, or a safety sit in a zone just tracking the QB.

AA & Gilchrist have experience at CB so you could have a lot of moving parts on one play.

I liken it to what Seattle doesn't do which cost them vs Brady. They don't move at all. They line up in the same place EVERYTIME and use their athleticism & skill only without trying to "fool" the QB.

That's good for 90% of the QBs in this league but a QB as talented as Brady just played pitch & catch in the Superbowl.

I can't wait to see this & I'm sure it's the type of thing that gets tighter & more complicated as the season wears on & guys are comfortable enough to add more schemes to this defense.

So while Charger fans are saying Gilchrist wasn't that good, Bowles sees something in his play that he likes a lot.

Similar to what BB does up in New England with guys like Ninkovich who was someone elses trash.

Really gonna be fun to see how this whole thing evolves.

This guy is so interesting to me. He comes highly praised from so many different people in the NFL.

While Rex has stuck with his fathers defense that has been around since the 85 Bears it seems to me Bowles has moved into 2015 with a different strategy.

Where Rex would blitz leaving guys like Harris & Pace playing in space, Bowles uses this BIG NICKEL approach.

When Rex once tried to play nickel vs the Pats 2 years ago in New England, Brady just audibled to a running play & kills us that day by getting into 2nd & 3rd & short.

Bowles likes to use versatile safeties that are good tacklers like pseudo LBs. Jets have JJ, AA, Pryor, & he signed Gilchrist.

Now it's harder if the other team has a move slot WR, so he signed Skrine (a CB that thrives taking the slot).

With Revis & Cromarty the outside WRs are locked down. Now if a team tries to audible to a run, guys like Pryor & Glichrist are tough enough to fill gaps similar to what a LB would bring.

I would imagine this scheme works really well when you have a stud run stuffing Dline that can also get after the QB like the Jets can. So, you've got safeties like LB & you have Safeties that can also play in space if need be. What's so intriguing about that is the opposing QB really has no specific guy that he can target because from the snap you could have a safety blitz, a safety go back & cover over the top, or a safety sit in a zone just tracking the QB.

AA & Gilchrist have experience at CB so you could have a lot of moving parts on one play.

I liken it to what Seattle doesn't do which cost them vs Brady. They don't move at all. They line up in the same place EVERYTIME and use their athleticism & skill only without trying to "fool" the QB.

That's good for 90% of the QBs in this league but a QB as talented as Brady just played pitch & catch in the Superbowl.

I can't wait to see this & I'm sure it's the type of thing that gets tighter & more complicated as the season wears on & guys are comfortable enough to add more schemes to this defense.

So while Charger fans are saying Gilchrist wasn't that good, Bowles sees something in his play that he likes a lot.

Similar to what BB does up in New England with guys like Ninkovich who was someone elses trash.

I read that Gilchrist is a good blitzer.  A lot of DBs are just not good blitzers. Whether their timing is not right for it, or they cannot beat a block from a HB, or they are just bad tacklers.  I always thought the Jet secondary personnel were rotten blitzers.  Bowles likes to send his backers.  I imagine we will see Gilchrist in the backfield a lot.

If you're looking for a prospect that is a S/LB hybrid in the draft, check out Neville Hewitt. Conference player of the year at Marshall

You're being harsh on Rex who is legitimately a great defensive guy even now but yeah Bowles looks really f*cking good.

AFC East is going to be insane this year.

Rex is a very good D guy.  I agree 100%  He never had an above average pass rusher, had piss poor safties, and his D usually played quite well, depsite the offense being a turnover machine.

My only complaint with Rex, his defenses didn't come up with a lot of big plays.   Turnovers, defensive points.   The Bears D always seems to score points, same with some other teams.  Rex, they just didn' get the turnovers despite multiple picks on D LIne and corner.

Rex is a very good D guy. I agree 100% He never had an above average pass rusher, had piss poor safties, and his D usually played quite well, depsite the offense being a turnover machine.

My only complaint with Rex, his defenses didn't come up with a lot of big plays. Turnovers, defensive points. The Bears D always seems to score points, same with some other teams. Rex, they just didn' get the turnovers despite multiple picks on D LIne and corner.

Try 7 first round picks on D this year.

Try 7 first round picks on D this year.

People say that, it doens't matter to me if a guy was a 1st rounder 10 years ago (Cro) who was drafted by another team.  This D should have talent.  The lack of depth at LB doesn't bother me as much, because I don't think they will play 3-4 very often.  I mean, I guess that is their base, but it will be a lot more 3-3-5 or even 3-2-5. 

Rex's teams never had that pass rusher, the guy who was going to get 10, who could win a lot of 1-1 matchups.   I think he is a very good Defensive mind, but not a great HC.

Great analysis & breakdown. These are the types of posts that make Internet forums so gratifying.

I had he same concern/thought that we were building a GLUT of SS, but seeing what Bowles did in Arz and how this division will be STACKED at the athletic TE position, we have nicely stocked up on these hybrid SS/LBs in addition to the ones already on file with JJ & AA.

This defense and the MISSLES that will come FLYING OFF THE EDGE TO BLITZ will be fun to watch.

Just wait until they let my boy Ik loose.....

I think we will see a lot of this nickel....I think Pryor has a long way to go yet.

Revis, Cro

Buster

Gilchrist

Jarrett

IK

Wilkes

Sheldon

Couples

Harris

Davis

IK is a major X factor and I am also quietly thinking he will begin to break out. His motor is undeniable and he's built like a mack truck. He showed flashes in the very limited time he had available. We may already have our Pass rusher on the team already.

Thanks Idzik!

Ik looks to be built like Harrison when he played for the Steelers.

Doesn't mean a thing unless he can play but he fits the physical profile. If he turns out to be a hidden gem look out!

The other thing I'm loving about all of these pick ups in the secondary is that Milliner & McDougle can be brought along slowly back from injury & could end up being highly productive in the 2nd half of the season.

I'm most concerned with Milliner with the torn Achilles, he didn't seem like a very hard worker to me?

He might start the season on the PUP list.

We'll see.

IK is a major X factor and I am also quietly thinking he will begin to break out. His motor is undeniable and he's built like a mack truck. He showed flashes in the very limited time he had available. We may already have our Pass rusher on the team already.

Thanks Idzik!

Idzik will go to the hall of fame for that pick!

Ik looks to be built like Harrison when he played for the Steelers.

Doesn't mean a thing unless he can play but he fits the physical profile. If he turns out to be a hidden gem look out!

The other thing I'm loving about all of these pick ups in the secondary is that Milliner & McDougle can be brought along slowly back from injury & could end up being highly productive in the 2nd half of the season.

I'm most concerned with Milliner with the torn Achilles, he didn't seem like a very hard worker to me?

He might start the season on the PUP list.

We'll see.

Milliner is under 5 year rookie contract? So his next paycheck can come when he replaces revised

McDougle too has 3 years left?

So they both have plenty time to heal and learn from best

something that Parcells said after the Bowles hire stuck out to me, he said that when he coached the Giants and Bowles started at safety for the Redskins, Bowles was the field general of the defense, always telling the players where to line up and their responsibilities.  The guy was the smartest player on the field.  Parcells said that memory stuck out to him and it's why he hired Bowles as a coach.

Bowles will do fine schematically and I think he will innovate quite a bit.  He seems to cater to his players strengths. He runs an attacking 3-4 "one gap" defense most of the time, which is perfect for the personnel Maccagnan has gotten for him.

Archived