Namath: Jets Should Take Mariota

AFJF

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Joe but the last things we need is him showing "the new kid" around NY.  I can just see the two of them drunk riding police horses

around Manhattan with snifters of brandy in both hands.  My fellow Ducks fans would never recover!

P.S.  Kobe.  Number 1 in Oregon!!!!  BLASPHEMY!!

You don't "draft" franchise QB's, you develop them. It takes time. It doesn't matter where you pick them or how they do early on. Most franchise QB's struggle early on.

Agreed, but its rare that a franchise QB is discovered in free agency. Young and Favre are the best examples, but they were very high draft picks not really a surprise.  A guy like Brees was already great before New Orleans got him, these days the way to get a franchise quarterback is to draft him and build around him. And that's what the Jets need to do.

SAR I

This is pretty cool.  I've been spending entirely too much time trying to figure out some of these.  Like 14 in New Mexico (Ernie Banks).  Who's the # 4 in West Virginia and also in Wyoming?

Here's the URL to the page that explains who went where:

http://mitchellandness.com/company/best-selling-players-by-state/

It's a year's worth of sales data from Mitchell & Ness.

SAR I

Agreed, but its rare that a franchise QB is discovered in free agency. Young and Favre are the best examples, but they were very high draft picks not really a surprise.  A guy like Brees was already great before New Orleans got him, these days the way to get a franchise quarterback is to draft him and build around him. And that's what the Jets need to do.

SAR I

I agree, but we don't know for sure yet that Geno won't be that guy. He's showed some flashes and if you build around him the way we did this offseason, if you give him a better defense and if he studies more and makes progress himself, I think he could be that guy. That's a lot of if's. But if you don't give guys a chance to develop we'll never find a true young franchise QB. If we draft Mariota this year and he struggles like most rookie QB's (say a Peyton or Eli), do we call for the next franchise QB again in '16? At some point when you pick a QB early you have to committ to him for a couple years and see how he develops. I think Geno deserves another season with more talent on the roster, more weapons around him, better coaching. If he shows the same inconsistency again I think we should move on. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Mariota by the way, but I also wouldn't just quit on Geno. If Mariota is there, go ahead and pick him unless somebody makes a good offer and wants to move up. Let them compete and we'll see how it shakes out. I rather have a second potential franchise QB instead of yet another D-Lineman or yet another receiver. There's no upside really to that. If you really want a lineman or a receiver those guys are a dime a dozen each year in free agency.

Yep.  Just goes to show that the baseball still needs to be stamped out in certain parts of this country.  HAHA

I don't get Kobe Bryant over Brett Favre in Wisconsin.

And Michael Jordan is forgotten?

SAR I

SAR I

Agreed.

I would love to see the parameters of this infographic. 

Kobe is a bigger Jersey sell in Wisconsin than Favre (historically) or Rodgers? 

Payton (as 'sweet' and beloved as he was) is more popular in terms of Jersey sales than Jordan?? Especially when you consider the fact that NBA jerseys are cheaper than NFL jerseys, this is absurd.

Namath jerseys dominate a higher percentage of Iowa's population than Alabama or NY?

Vincanity (Toronto edition) in CT? Having lived in CT since the age of 2, I can very accurately tell you that anywhere from mid to southern CT is all Jeter jerseys, and anything north of that is Brady or Bird.  

And Mantle. In Idaho? Like, what?

Edit: Also, given the disparity in times and relative wealth between Johnny U's days and now, I'd be willing to wager than Peyton has more jersey sales than Johnny U...even though Johnny U is the first GOAT NFL QB. 

Edit 2: Also, I find it interesting that Tillman and Gleason are the highest jersey sales. I wonder how much of those revenue streams are allocated to their respective families, and then how much to the shared profits that the franchise owners get. 

I agree, but we don't know for sure yet that Geno won't be that guy. He's showed some flashes and if you build around him the way we did this offseason, if you give him a better defense and if he studies more and makes progress himself, I think he could be that guy. That's a lot of if's. But if you don't give guys a chance to develop we'll never find a true young franchise QB. If we draft Mariota this year and he struggles like most rookie QB's (say a Peyton or Eli), do we call for the next franchise QB again in '16? At some point when you pick a QB early you have to committ to him for a couple years and see how he develops. I think Geno deserves another season with more talent on the roster, more weapons around him, better coaching. If he shows the same inconsistency again I think we should move on. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Mariota by the way, but I also wouldn't just quit on Geno. If Mariota is there, go ahead and pick him unless somebody makes a good offer and wants to move up. Let them compete and we'll see how it shakes out. I rather have a second potential franchise QB instead of yet another D-Lineman or yet another receiver. There's no upside really to that. If you really want a lineman or a receiver those guys are a dime a dozen each year in free agency.

I thought it was interesting when Namath said he didn't "think Geno does anything particularly well."

SAR I

Well.  I know that basketball is HUGE in Wisconsin.  I don't know about the Bucks but the state is in love with Bo Ryan's team.

As for Jordan, the NBA generation seems to recycle itself faster than any other type of sports entertainment.  Plus, he has kept out of the public eye that last few years.  (his wonderful personality may have something to do with his lack of popularity amongst current NBA insiders)

Saying he's never wrong is saying he's Moses.

No, saying he's Moses is saying he's Moses.

Again, most people in the thread are saying more right, than wrong, not "never".

It's like your posts, they are more ridiculous, than sensible. If we said never sensible, it wouldn't be fair, because you do come up with a few good ones here and there. 

I was hated on JI for my anti-Ryan stance as I was the first one to see it.

Yes, the tree was heard.

SAR I

I doubt you were first, probably just loudest and most redundant. 

I was first, loudest and most redundant here... and everybody loves the Ape.

The titans and eagles are talking trade as I post this. 0 shot at us getting Mariota and thank God. Unless Mariota plays in the Oregon offense he will suck.

Finally someone who makes some sense.  I agree- thank god we aren't getting Mariota

I would love to see the parameters of this infographic. 

Kobe is a bigger Jersey sell in Wisconsin than Favre (historically) or Rodgers? 

Payton (as 'sweet' and beloved as he was) is more popular in terms of Jersey sales than Jordan?? Especially when you consider the fact that NBA jerseys are cheaper than NFL jerseys, this is absurd.

Namath jerseys dominate a higher percentage of Iowa's population than Alabama or NY?

Vincanity (Toronto edition) in CT? Having lived in CT since the age of 2, I can very accurately tell you that anywhere from mid to southern CT is all Jeter jerseys, and anything north of that is Brady or Bird.  

And Mantle. In Idaho? Like, what?

Edit: Also, given the disparity in times and relative wealth between Johnny U's days and now, I'd be willing to wager than Peyton has more jersey sales than Johnny U...even though Johnny U is the first GOAT NFL QB. 

Edit 2: Also, I find it interesting that Tillman and Gleason are the highest jersey sales. I wonder how much of those revenue streams are allocated to their respective families, and then how much to the shared profits that the franchise owners get. 

This caught my attention as well.  Perhaps the longer ago a player retired, the larger the audience for his Jersey.  Which is why Johnny U would have a wider audience over a longer span than Peyton who has only been playing for the last decade and a half.  Might explain certain disparities.  Also, Chicago is a huge football town.  Walter Payton was a beloved player, moreso than jordan who at times seemed a bit shady, arrogant and selfish.

I doubt you were first, probably just loudest and most redundant. 

I was first, loudest and most redundant here... and everybody loves the Ape.

Post a link to the first post where you called Rex Ryan a fraud and wanted him gone.  Let's compare dates.

SAR I

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Right? I'm from Mississippi.. I haven't ever in my life seen someone rocking a Larry Bird jersey. Mostly Drew Brees,Graham and Reggie Bush jerseys. Everyone here are big saint fans given we are one state away. I'm originally from Brooklyn though so I was unfortunately cursed a Jet fan.

Archived