PLEASE - No Guard - Brandon Scherff with the 6th pick!

GoingToMyGraveGreen

As April 30th approaches and with MM expected to be off the board by the time the Jets pick, mock drafts have us picking Guard, Brandon Scherff. 

(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2413872-nfl-mock-draft-2015-updated-predictions-with-less-than-a-month-to-go)

Considered by many to be a safe pick, many also say Scherff does not project as even a right tackle well because of his short arms and place him best at guard.

Also many of best edge rushers are projected to be off the board.

Given that:

1) Jets have gone defense with their first picks starting in 2010, and... 

2) Given that the Jets defense will likely be a top 5 without a new edge rusher...

3) And especially given the Jets offense ranked 22nd overall (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total)...and I think that is an excellent example of my statistics lie...

The Jets need to go offense (and not a guard) but someone that can actually score points!

Picking ether Cooper or White (I changed my mind and prefer While due to his 6'3", 4.35 40 time) putting these guys in the mix with the current Jet receiver set should scare even BB (which considering he lost three top DBs in the last two years - they have no choice but to play zone) plus Amaro and a pass catching RB, should result in a great offense/defense combination.

Good guards can be found in the later rounds and many as UDFA and the guards we have I believe are good enough for 2015.

Also if Marshall falters, the Jets can part ways with him with no 2016 cap ramifications (and saves $7.5M) and they already have his heir-apparent.

Please then - NO guard with the 6th overall pick!

Wouldn't he play Right Tackle if the Jets drafted him?

The highest paid right tackles in the NFL actually make less than guards. They're easily replaceable in free agency. The only OL a team should be taking in the top ten is a pure, stud, left tackle.

I don't want the Jets swing wildly by trading up to the second pick for a questionable QB prospect, and I don't want them going ultra-conservative for a non-LT OL prospect. At a minimum, there's going to be choice between a potential stud WR, and a potential stud pass rusher at #6. And who knows? Maybe Mariota falls.

I'd hate it if they took Scherff there. My honeymoon with Maccagnan would come to an abrupt halt.

The highest paid right tackles in the NFL actually make less than guards. They're easily replaceable in free agency. The only OL a team should be taking in the top ten is a pure, stud, left tackle.

I don't want the Jets swing wildly by trading up to the second pick for a questionable QB prospect, and I don't want them going ultra-conservative for a non-LT OL prospect. At a minimum, there's going to be choice between a potential stud WR, and a potential stud pass rusher at #6. And who knows? Maybe Mariota falls.

I'd hate it if they took Scherff there. My honeymoon with Maccagnan would come to an abrupt halt.

Jonathan "sure thing future HOFer" Cooper may have saved us from such terrible consideration. And it took a draft with no True top 10 receiver or QB prospects for Cooper to even go as high as #7.

:Maccagnan looks up from computer, addresses men surrounding his desk:

"Well, I wasn't able to make my decision until after reading this latest post. Gentlemen, we need another plan."

:slams computer closed:

Not sure when Max asked you to be the fly on the wall at Jets headquarters.  But I do like it.  

"Well, I wasn't able to make my decision until after reading this latest post. Gentlemen, we need another plan."

LOL...actually I'll be hacking into his computer when they submit their pick....it won't be a guard.

But also, they do monitor this site...not that the past administrations seem to take any of our advice...

The "data" is from PFF, but FWIW:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?833175-Mythbusting-Arm-Length-And-Offensive-Tackles

NOTE: I think the measurements on arm length swing pretty wildly.  I'm not sure why, but I just read that regarding some WR

I had not seen this before...this is interesting....thanks for posting it!

It's about time those fools in management started listening to us.  If they did we would not have drafted Taj Boyd last year, thus saving us a valuable 6th rounder.

Arm length. Hah. Chris Borland was said to be a poor pick because his arms were short. Kid was a tackling machine watch players play and forget the nonsense measurements. Also 6 is too high for Scherff. 9 or higher and he's a solid pick.

How is Melvin Ingram and his baby arms doing with those big 2 sacks per year he's averaging?

I had heard that and if they pick him that's where he should play - not guard. You can always move him to guard if it does not work out.

Sherff has better feet and technique than Ereck a Flowers who is being projected as a franchise Left Tackle.

If Cooper and Fowler are off the board by the time we pick, I'm perfectly ok with picking Scherff. Why? Because we are facing some stud 1st round defensive linemen this year and trying to block them with developmental/aging players that are on this team is going to get our QB killed, doesn't matter who that may be. OL is quickly becoming the weak link on this team and that does not bode well if we want to go far in the playoffs. Scherff's not a huge reach at 6 when the Giants or Rams are picking him up at 9 or 10.

One of only about 3 or 4 guys I would genuinely be upset about and curse loudly.

dear beerfish ,  fyi ;

~ ~ Potential is a dangerous thing. Every prospect in the NFL Draft has potential. Some happen to have more of it than others. The key is tapping into and harnessing that potential. There isn't a way to wholly quantify potential, but typically players with good athletic numbers are perceived to have it. You can also see potential in flashes of greatness. Plays so spectacular that you think they can be consistently replicated.

With potential becomes expectation, a burden. Some players thrive on potential and expectation. Other players fail spectacularly because of it. That's where the term "boom or bust" comes from. The players that boom because stars. The players that bust we'll always wonder what could have been. Here are the five biggest boom or bust players in the 2015 NFL Draft :

~ Randy Gregory, OLB, Nebraska

What role does a 6'5 but 235-pound linebacker have in the NFL? A similar player, Dion Jordan of the Miami Dolphins, has struggled while being played out of position. Will an NFL team be willing to change what they do to put Gregory in a position to be successful? There are also some strength issues with Gregory. He got by at times at Nebraska because he plays with good technique. But when Gregory gets overpowered, he can become a non-factor.

rest of above article :

> http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2015/4/15/8420099/2015-nfl-draft-boom-or-bust-players

:frown:

I do not like the notion of a Guard @ #6, but with playing a formidable Miami & Buffalo DLine and NE's solid LBs, shoring up the interior of the OLine will become a priority sooner than later. Mangold is one of the best but getting older. Recently-signed Carpenter AT LEAST gives us beef up front to contend with the mammothly strong DTs we will face this year.

Agreed.  You would hope that Bowles watching Jonathan Cooper bust out in Arizona, that he'd know better than taking a Guard in the top 10.  Both him and Warmack have been busts.  Its just a stupid thing to do.

Cooper didnt bust out in Arizona. He broke his leg in a preseason game his rookie year. Chance Warmack is looking bust worthy though.

Cooper didnt bust out in Arizona. He broke his leg in a preseason game his rookie year. Chance Warmack is looking bust worthy though.

He is not out yet, but he is busting.  He broke his leg his rookie year.  Last year he came into camp and promptly got beat out by Ted Larsen and Paul Fanaika.  Some of that was because he had  turf toe in camp, but he didn't get a start until week 14 and he was done before week 16.  Smells like a bust

He is not out yet, but he is busting.  He broke his leg his rookie year.  Last year he came into camp and promptly got beat out by Ted Larsen and Paul Fanaika.  Some of that was because he had  turf toe in camp, but he didn't get a start until week 14 and he was done before week 16.  Smells like a bust

You present a good point. And you cant live forever on "I was injured". We'll see this year.

As April 30th approaches and with MM expected to be off the board by the time the Jets pick, mock drafts have us picking Guard, Brandon Scherff. 

(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2413872-nfl-mock-draft-2015-updated-predictions-with-less-than-a-month-to-go)

Considered by many to be a safe pick, many also say Scherff does not project as even a right tackle well because of his short arms and place him best at guard.

Also many of best edge rushers are projected to be off the board.

Given that:

1) Jets have gone defense with their first picks starting in 2010, and... 

2) Given that the Jets defense will likely be a top 5 without a new edge rusher...

3) And especially given the Jets offense ranked 22nd overall (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total)...and I think that is an excellent example of my statistics lie...

The Jets need to go offense (and not a guard) but someone that can actually score points!

Picking ether Cooper or White (I changed my mind and prefer While due to his 6'3", 4.35 40 time) putting these guys in the mix with the current Jet receiver set should scare even BB (which considering he lost three top DBs in the last two years - they have no choice but to play zone) plus Amaro and a pass catching RB, should result in a great offense/defense combination.

Good guards can be found in the later rounds and many as UDFA and the guards we have I believe are good enough for 2015.

Also if Marshall falters, the Jets can part ways with him with no 2016 cap ramifications (and saves $7.5M) and they already have his heir-apparent.

Please then - NO guard with the 6th overall pick!

I f'ing hate the 40 lol.

Agreed that the 40 alone is BS....but when matched with production and success in college (not like some other former Jets receiver whose name shall not be spoken - Stephen Hill....opps!) who played in a team that did not pass much, While and Cooper have the credentials that go along with the measurables.

And he sucked last year after recovering.  They're both are enormous busts considering they were supposed guaranteed HOF'ers. 

And he sucked last year after recovering.  They're both are enormous busts considering they were supposed guaranteed HOF'ers. 

who the hell said that? Whoever they are were exaggerating as badly as you are, based on your over reaction to their original exaggeration. The guy was hurt and wasnt healthy this year either. Im not saying he's the sh*t, im just saying that you're pulling out the label super early.

who the hell said that? Whoever they are were exaggerating as badly as you are, based on your over reaction to their original exaggeration. The guy was hurt and wasnt healthy this year either. Im not saying he's the sh*t, im just saying that you're pulling out the label super early.

Dude, he's barely got on the field.  Check out some of Arians comments on him.  At one time he said he looked like a caveman because he has zero technique.   He's been absolutely terrible. They went out and signed the best Guard in FA, 2 years after taking him 7th overall and are already having him moves sides.  

He's an enormous bust, just like Warmack.  

Dude, he's barely got on the field.  Check out some of Arians comments on him.  At one time he said he looked like a caveman because he has zero technique.   He's been absolutely terrible. They went out and signed the best Guard in FA, 2 years after taking him 7th overall and are already having him moves sides.  

He's an enormous bust, just like Warmack.  

He still has less than a year under his belt, mostly due to injury not performance. You cant place "bust" on that. And maybe he needs to move to the opposite side. Maybe that will work.

Michael Strahan was a 2nd round pick in the 93 draft and was being labeled a "bust" until he was able to switch from one side of the defensive line to the other, He's a HOF'er today.

You're probably right. Im not arguing what you're saying, Im simply saying you're a tad early on the call.

Archived