Why not Draft Petty and Grayson?

TNJet

I like the thoughts of getting both Bryce Petty and Garret Grayson in the later rounds of this years draft. That way we could cut ties with the horror story that is Matt Simms. Geno, Fitz, Petty, and Grayson sounds better heading into training camp with for a true QB competition. Fitz will only be around for one year anyway, and if Geno fails this year which is very possible, we will have 2 young gunslingers with potential to fight it out and hold the fort down until we find our guy. One last reason this makes sense for us is because we only have like 2 real needs on this team given our awesome free agency signings, that being QB and OLB. After our OLB at 6, or WR because Coop or White could be there we could use the rest of our draft on 2 QBs, OT depth, and linebackers. Thoughts?? Remember crazier things have happened look at Redskins in 2012 taking RG3 and Cousins in the next round. How would you feel if we got both Petty and Grayson??

Aren't they both projected to go around round 3 (give or take a round)?

Plus the only later round picks we have are a pair of 7th rounders (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 7th; ours are the 5th-7th selections in each of these rounds).

So a best-case scenario of taking both means using our 3rd and 4th rounders on them, as neither seems likely to last until the 7th round.

Aren't they both projected to go around round 3 (give or take a round)?

Plus the only later round picks we have are a pair of 7th rounders (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 7th; ours are the 5th-7th selections in each of these rounds).

So a best-case scenario of taking both means using our 3rd and 4th rounders on them, as neither seems likely to last until the 7th round.

Many have Grayson falling to 4th round. We could always reach for the first and trade up for the last QB with our late round picks if someone wants the bait. Makes more sense than trading up for both busts Mariota or Winston. Petty and Grayson are more pro style players than either Winston or Mariota. Like I said, we don't need much after free agency, Cooper, 2 QBs, OT, and an OLB pass rusher sounds fine to me.

Many have Grayson falling to 4th round. We could always reach for the first and trade up for the last QB with our late round picks if someone wants the bait. Makes more sense than trading up for both busts Mariota or Winston. Petty and Grayson are more pro style players than either Winston or Mariota. Like I said, we don't need much after free agency, Cooper, 2 QBs, OT, and an OLB pass rusher sounds fine to me.

Both seem to be rated as 2 of the top 4-5 QBs in the draft, however lowly anyone things of either (or of both). Neither seems likely to last to mid-late round 6 (which is all we'd get by trading our pair of 7th rounders).

Oh they suck too.  No argument here.  But Petty and Grayson are wasted picks unless you're looking for a career backup for some reason. 

And you got your proof of that statement where? Look at their numbers. Its hard to imagine they'd be worse than any of the guys we already have here. Atleast Grayson seems smarter than Smith and Sims. And a better decision maker than Ryan triple coverage Fitzpatrick.

Grayson's film is brutal. I tried watching some games and he looks like he has an arm where he can't make all the throws and most of the time his offense just isn't successful. Maybe it's not his fault entirely but I just can't find much that looks good. The Colorado state vs colarado game was particularly bad.

Grayson's film is brutal. I tried watching some games and he looks like he has an arm where he can't make all the throws and most of the time his offense just isn't successful. Maybe it's not his fault entirely but I just can't find much that looks good. The Colorado state vs colarado game was particularly bad.

I totally agree I watched the Colorado game film as well. Terrible first half stats. Offense was sputtering. That said, he steered them in the right direction in crunch time and won the game. I honestly think Grayson is the best QB of the 2, he just had no help at all at Colorado state. Terrible receivers dropped passes right in their hands every game. What could he do with a Decker, Marshall, Amaro, Cooper lineup?

And you got your proof of that statement where? Look at their numbers. Its hard to imagine they'd be worse than any of the guys we already have here. Atleast Grayson seems smarter than Smith and Sims. And a better decision maker than Ryan triple coverage Fitzpatrick.

Do you have proof they're better than sh*tzpatrick or Geno?

Geno's college #'s blow both of their numbers out of the water.  He was a much higher regarded prospect.  In no way shape or form is that an indication of how they will do in the pro's.

Both guys are career backups, if they werent, they'd be talked about in the first round. 

Elaborate?

Because heading into training camp with a true QB competition brewing not a "Rex says competition Geno wins by default" deal, I feel better with Geno, Fitz, and 2 unknown but very capable rookies with upside. Every way you look at it Geno, Fitz, Grayson, Petty competition is a safer option than Geno, Fitz, Sims, Hundley etc.

Geno's college #'s blow both of their numbers out of the water.  He was a much higher regarded prospect.  In no way shape or form is that an indication of how they will do in the pro's.

Both guys are career backups, if they werent, they'd be talked about in the first round. 

Because Geno and Fitz are already failed experiments. Enough said. Fitz is the best we have and he's 16-32 as a starter.

Next year is the year to draft a QB. This year is loaded at the skill positions. We should focus on getting the best out of a rich class, rather than the best of what's left from the QBs.

I agree. Don't waste any pick this year on a QB. Let Geno play every game and throw a minimum of 35-40 passes every game. That should ensure a top 3 pick next year, and a shot at either Cook or Hackenberg. Kind of tongue in cheek, but not really.

Next year is the year to draft a QB. This year is loaded at the skill positions. We should focus on getting the best out of a rich class, rather than the best of what's left from the QBs.

Another year of Geno? Oh help me lord.

I agree. Don't waste any pick this year on a QB. Let Geno play every game and throw a minimum of 35-40 passes every game. That should ensure a top 3 pick next year, and a shot at either Cook or Hackenberg. Kind of tongue in cheek, but not really.

Not with this defense my friend. Pick around 15th...lol.

Because heading into training camp with a true QB competition brewing not a "Rex says competition Geno wins by default" deal, I feel better with Geno, Fitz, and 2 unknown but very capable rookies with upside. Every way you look at it Geno, Fitz, Grayson, Petty competition is a safer option than Geno, Fitz, Sims, Hundley etc.

Just because option A is better than option B doesn't mean it's a good allocation of resources. They could draft Hundley in the second too and it's more competition. That wouldn't be smart either. 

I also don't agree that those two rookies are capable or have legitimate NFL starting QB upside. I think it's a stretch. You're talking probably a 5-10% chance that either actually ends up being a starting NFL QB, and that's generous. If it was better, then they would be snapped up much earlier in an awful QB draft with so many teams needing QB's. There's a reason Jeremiah said the 3rd-5th QB's (those two and Hundley) are 5th round values recently - I'm not saying he's right, but they are not that well regarded. I'm fine taking a shot in the dark, two shots in the dark doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Winston and Mariota = two surefire busts

Petty and Grayson = potential superstars

Spend two high picks on them. Unreal.

the scouts are killing petty

he's garbage

For good reason, the guy is awful. Never understood the hard on some posters have for him, it's like they never watched any of his games and instead just opened up a youtube highlight reel of his and declared him as a beast.

Tony Romo was undrafted and basically laughed at here in Dallas when ever it was brought up he would play. Only reason he even got a chance to play was due to such horrid QB play at that time and he still had to wait years

Joe Montana was drafted in the third round

Brady In the 6th and the only reason he got on the field was because our own Mo Lewis almost killed Drew Bledsoe

Not to say Bryce Petty and Garret Grayson are even in the same zip code as those players mentioned but ya never know. Do we think besides Mariota and Winston there is not one single QB in this draft that will play well in the NFL ?

Archived