Concerned about Dupree

mrsaucy21

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so coincidentally the third is by far the most vague of the three. How so?

he is slow to see what is going on, especially when he is standing up and not just rushing.  I am sick and tired of having those guys on my team.  let him play for the browns

How do you know this?

I have watched 5,346 hours of coaches film on him

I met with his coach and 11 NFL scouts over dinner last week

I hacked into the steelers scouting department files

Gil Brandt owes me a favor

and

I can read

he is slow to see what is going on, especially when he is standing up and not just rushing.  I am sick and tired of having those guys on my team.  let him play for the browns

Yeah, but what's this based on? Stuff and things? As with Mario Williams and other otherworldly athletes like Dontari Poe, it's entirely possible that what seems like torpid instincts and/or motor (another common, vague knock on these guys) is a top of the line athlete doing things that other guys couldn't even hope to get away. What you're saying doesn't line up with what he did in college - a pick six, multiple PDs, FFs, more sacks than guys like Fowler and Ray, waaaaaaay more tackles than those guys....What you're saying is an extremely tough sell given what we know for sure about this guy.

Yeah, but what's this based on? Stuff and things? As with Mario Williams and other otherworldly athletes like Dontari Poe, it's entirely possible that what seems like torpid instincts and/or motor (another common, vague knock on these guys) is a top of the line athlete doing things that other guys couldn't even hope to get away. What you're saying doesn't line up with what he did in college - a pick six, multiple PDs, FFs, more sacks than guys like Fowler and Ray, waaaaaaay more tackles than those guys....What you're saying is an extremely tough sell given what we know for sure about this guy.

I'm not selling a vague stuff and things.  I am very specifically saying I don't like this prospect because of a very specific reason.  You like dupree, I like beasley

I don't get upset when people say beasley's weakness is run defense because it is true

I'm not selling a vague stuff and things.  I am very specifically saying I don't like this prospect because of a very specific reason.  You like dupree, I like beasley

I don't get upset when people say beasley's weakness is run defense because it is true

Eh, giving it too much credit.

I like Beasley too. He, like Dupree, has both production and very strong performances in the relevant combine numbers. They're both two of the safest prospects in this class, arguably *the* safest prospects in this class along with Williams. This isn't an either/or thing for me, it's just the principle behind seeing a guy with every box checked getting pushed down behind lesser prospects for something as vague as good/bad instincts.

Best guess gun to head Beasley and Dupree will be double digit sack guys, Gregory and Ray will bust and Fowler wil have a long Calvin Pace like career...boy will this one come back to haunt me,

I'll bet that Gregory goes early teens and ends up being the perennial 12+ sack guy. Beasley starts off hot, but juice-related joint injuries ruin him, Dupree will go to Atlanta, play DE, and be Marcus Spears-ish. I think Fowler ends up being one of those guys who's in the league for 15 years beating up TEs.

I'll bet that Gregory goes early teens and ends up being the perennial 12+ sack guy. Beasley starts off hot, but juice-related joint injuries ruin him, Dupree will go to Atlanta, play DE, and be Marcus Spears-ish. I think Fowler ends up being one of those guys who's in the league for 15 years beating up TEs.

So besides Gregory we're pretty close. What about Ray for you? I honestly thought that about Gregory and Ray before the injury red flags and pot stuff. 

I took it as "Dupree will have a long, solid career as a starter". Agreed the actually comparison is pretty bad.

I took it as an over drafted DE considered a reach on draft day and a disappointment beyond that, which is what Spears is probably most known as. Spears was drafted as a 3-4 DE after player 4-3 DE in college.

So besides Gregory we're pretty close. What about Ray for you? I honestly thought that about Gregory and Ray before the injury red flags and pot stuff.

I don't really have any thoughts on Ray. All the coaches love him, and the scouting world hates him. Coaches overvalue grit, scouts and analysts overvalue ten yard splits.

I don't really have any thoughts on Ray. All the coaches love him, and the scouting world hates him. Coaches overvalue grit, scouts and analysts overvalue ten yard splits.

We pretty much agree on Fowler and Beasley. You like Gregory, I like Dupree. Let's remember this and sh*t on the one who's wrong forever!!!

We pretty much agree on Fowler and Beasley. You like Gregory, I like Dupree. Let's remember this and sh*t on the one who's wrong forever!!!

You don't want to invite my sort of never-ending pettiness to enter your life. Ask my homies Gato and Bitonti.

Eh, giving it too much credit.

I like Beasley too. He, like Dupree, has both production and very strong performances in the relevant combine numbers. They're both two of the safest prospects in this class, arguably *the* safest prospects in this class along with Williams. This isn't an either/or thing for me, it's just the principle behind seeing a guy with every box checked getting pushed down behind lesser prospects for something as vague as good/bad instincts.

fair enough.  it's just one of those things that always catches my eye with draft prospects.   

The comparison between Dupree and Gholston is apt because both guys were combine stars and both seemed to lack instincts on film.  Not a great combination for a guy who will be picked in the first half of round 1.

I don't get the Gholston being a workout warrior stuff.  If I'm not mistaken he set the all time or single season sack record at Ohio State and followed that up with a great combine.  

I guess it all depends on your definition of workout warrior, but I view those guys as players who didn't do much in college and then moved up draft boards based on the combine.  Gholston put up great numbers at one of the biggest college football powerhouses in the country before the combine.

Just my two cents on that...Dupree has been a less productive player in a weaker conference so I can see where people are worried about him...but the ability is definitely there.

I don't get the Gholston being a workout warrior stuff.  If I'm not mistaken he set the all time or single season sack record at Ohio State and followed that up with a great combine.  

I guess it all depends on your definition of workout warrior, but I view those guys as players who didn't do much in college and then moved up draft boards based on the combine.  Gholston put up great numbers at one of the biggest college football powerhouses in the country before the combine.

Just my two cents on that...Dupree has been a less productive player in a weaker conference so I can see where people are worried about him...but the ability is definitely there.

Weaker conference? That's just BS. Kentucky had one of the toughest schedules in the country. Eastern SEC is not a push-over and it includes games against Western SEC teams as well. Take a look at the 2014 schedule. I'm not a fan of Dupree at #6, but his conference play is not one of the reasons.

Weaker conference? That's just BS. Kentucky had one of the toughest schedules in the country. Eastern SEC is not a push-over and it includes games against Western SEC teams as well. Take a look at the 2014 schedule. I'm not a fan of Dupree at #6, but his conference play is not one of the reasons.

Good research call it was a tough schedule: 

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/kty-m-footbl-sched.html

but Kentucky got hammered, giving up over 40 points in 5 of the last 6 games, taking Florida to OT and beating SC are the only big "wins"

At the end of that day it's a gamble, very few (if any) safe bets in this draft

Best guess gun to head Beasley and Dupree will be double digit sack guys, Gregory and Ray will bust and Fowler wil have a long Calvin Pace like career...boy will this one come back to haunt me,

I'll cosign this, if it makes you feel better.

+1, I'm sure that doesn't make him feel any better.

FWIW, the coaches seemed to love Dupree just fine.  The obviously were going to be giving anything away, but they all kind of rolled their eyes and looked around sheepishly when somebody asked if he was a first rounder. 

Archived