Concerned about Dupree

mrsaucy21

Best guess gun to head Beasley and Dupree will be double digit sack guys, Gregory and Ray will bust and Fowler wil have a long Calvin Pace like career...boy will this one come back to haunt me,

Fowler = Tamba Hali

Beasley = Barkevious Mingo

Dupree = Whitney Mercilus

Gregory = Manny Lawson

Ray = Who cares?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello fellow Jet fans.  Long time reader first time poster on this site (sounds like a sports radio caller). First off, I really like the coach and GM hire and I believe they have made the right moves up to this point, however I am a little concerned about a possible infatuation with Bud Dupree.  As a long time Jet fan I have witnessed some first round blunders and Dupree reminds me of Mr. Gholston and Mr. Robertson (Kentucky).  I know we could use a pass rusher but I do not want to reach on Dupree, I would feel much more comfortable with taking Cooper or Scherff if Fowler and Mariota are off the board.  These guys, I believe, will be 10 year starters and give the team some flexibility with contracts for other players down the road. Just my $.02.

Nice to talk some Jet football since there aren't many in my neck of the woods.  Looking forward to Thursday!

Welcome to posting and I agree with you on Dupree.  I am hoping for Vic Beasley.  I may be in the minority but I do not want Marcus Mariota.. I hope that he is gone by the time we pick.  I would like Cooper as well at that spot.

Weaker conference? That's just BS. Kentucky had one of the toughest schedules in the country. Eastern SEC is not a push-over and it includes games against Western SEC teams as well. Take a look at the 2014 schedule. I'm not a fan of Dupree at #6, but his conference play is not one of the reasons.

Fair point, I was definitely swayed by the fact that the team dupree played for was garbage and he wasn't even close to playing as well as . Gholston who dominated at a powerhouse school.

I wouldn't hate the pick, but not so sure I'd like to see them take a project with the sixth choice.

This name frankly seems to have been picked totally at random. Mercilus was a speed guy with no elite athletic traits who can't get around the corner in the NFL. Dupree is a different kind and quality of pass rusher. The easy comparable is Justin Houston, and it's the right one.

Size:Freak ratio makes me think of Ansah. Yes, no, maybe?

This name frankly seems to have been picked totally at random. Mercilus was a speed guy with no elite athletic traits who can't get around the corner in the NFL. Dupree is a different kind and quality of pass rusher. The easy comparable is Justin Houston, and it's the right one.

Maybe, but Gregory and Ray better fit the Justin Houston pot smoking profile.

Fowler = Tamba Hali

Beasley = Barkevious Mingo

Dupree = Whitney Mercilus

Gregory = Manny Lawson

Ray = Who cares?

The thing that keeps coming back to me on Fowler was the comment of one AFC east scout who said that "he is one guy who will be much better in the NFL than he was in college." 

The names I used were based on how I see them panning out in the NFL.  Nothing else.  I see Bud Dupree as a situatoinal pass rusher, who cant do much else, similar to Mercilus.  Not someone who leads the NFL in sacks like Houston.  I dont see that player in this draft.  And certainly not in Dupree. 

This has nothing to do with the measurables and combine results...purely what type of career I see them having.  Which is what Hess posted and what I was responding to.

The names I used were based on how I see them panning out in the NFL. Nothing else. I see Bud Dupree as a situatoinal pass rusher, who cant do much else, similar to Mercilus. Not someone who leads the NFL in sacks like Houston. I dont see that player in this draft. And certainly not in Dupree.

This has nothing to do with the measurables and combine results...purely what type of career I see them having. Which is what Hess posted and what I was responding to.

What left-handed quarterback's career trajectory is most similar to what you would expect Dupree's to be?

The thing that keeps coming back to me on Fowler was the comment of one AFC east scout who said that "he is one guy who will be much better in the NFL than he was in college." 

Which I dont understand because it implies that Fowler wasnt very good in college which couldnt be further from the truth.  

Whats strange to me, is that people are getting all hung up on his "production" which is where I assume this comment comes from (while completely ignoring how Muscramp used him) but there isnt the same concern from Dupree, who never topped 7 sacks in a single season, yet people excuse away that production with..."oh well, he dropped into coverage a lot".

I get with the draft everyone comes up with something for their guy (and I'm sure I'm doing it with Fowler) but this one has been a head scratcher for me. 

I'm so turned around on the pass rushers, I dont even want one at 6 anymore.

Which I dont understand because it implies that Fowler wasnt very good in college which couldnt be further from the truth.

Whats strange to me, is that people are getting all hung up on his "production" which is where I assume this comment comes from (while completely ignoring how Muscramp used him) but there isnt the same concern from Dupree, who never topped 7 sacks in a single season, yet people excuse away that production with..."oh well, he dropped into coverage a lot".

I get with the draft everyone comes up with something for their guy (and I'm sure I'm doing it with Fowler) but this one has been a head scratcher for me.

I'm so turned around on the pass rushers, I dont even want one at 6 anymore.

I feel like Beasley and Dupree are coming off the board before Fowler...not in player comparison but In draft position I keep thinking about how Coples dropped a bit and how Irvin went before him.

I feel like Beasley and Dupree are coming off the board before Fowler...not in player comparison but In draft position I keep thinking about how Coples dropped a bit and how Irvin went before him.

Yeah but Coples had "motor" and "motivation" questions that nobody doubts in Fowler.  

I honestly have no clue how the pass rushers fall in the draft.  And I have no clue how any of them will pan out in the NFL.  They all scare the sh*t out of me, just Fowler the least.  Which is why I want Cooper or White and really want nothing to do with any of the pass rushers at #6. 

What's interesting about all the pass rusher talk is that of the early teams getting tied to the pass rushers (Jets and Jags), neither team had a problem getting to the QB.  They tied for 6th overall in team sacks coming in at 45 each, and the Bills led the league at 54.  Which is why I dont see the Jags passing on Williams for Fowler.  I think people are tying Fowler to the Jags because of proximity and all but Leonard Williams grew up and went to High School in Daytona Beach (same High School as Vince Carter, Mainland). 

So I still see the draft going like this: Winston, Mariota, Williams, Cooper, Fowler, White (hopefully).  But who knows.  Intriguing draft to say the least. 

Archived