Mehta: Rex and Bills in position to take AFC East (LOL)

Jetsfan80

I know last season is not a favorite topic to discuss over here. But the JETS were very, very close to winning both games against the Pats.

Heck if Marty figures out what a Play Action pass is and decides to call it, we would have annihilated the Pats at home. We held the ball for 40 minutes.

I think the JETS have a very good shot of sweeping the Pats whether they have Brady or NOT does not matter.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still not buying it when it comes to Tannehill.  Garoppolo for 2-4 games + Brady for 12 combine to be the best QB in the division, however the footballs are inflated.  Tannehill comes in a distant 2nd, followed by Fitzpatrick and whoever the Bills throw out there pulling up the rear.

Calling the Bills the favorite to win the division is ridiculous, but there's no doubt they're in a good position as the only team in the division that will face the Pats without Brady.

Look at Beli's record vs. Rex.

I'm still not buying it when it comes to Tannehill.  Garoppolo for 2-4 games + Brady for 12 combine to be the best QB in the division, however the footballs are inflated.  Tannehill comes in a distant 2nd, followed by Fitzpatrick and whoever the Bills throw out there pulling up the rear.

Ranking the AFC East QBs:

1. Cheating Tom Brady

2. Non-cheating Tom Brady

3. Tannehill

4. Fitzpatrick

5. Matt Moore

6. Geno

7. Garrapolo

8. Tyson Taylor

1. Cheating Tom Brady

3. Tannehill

4. Fitzpatrick

5. Matt Moore

6. Geno

7. Garrapolo

8. Tyson Taylor

Not a chance I put Geno ahead of Garoppolo, even when he hasn't taken an NFL snap.  Jimmy was one of the guys I really wanted out of that draft class.  And it wasn't an "omg look how smart Belichick is loading up with yet another QB!" moment.  I didn't think Ryan Mallet would end up anything more than trade bait.

LOL at the "Tyson Taylor" intentional misspelling.

Not a chance I put Geno ahead of Garoppolo, even when he hasn't taken an NFL snap.  Jimmy was one of the guys I really wanted out of that draft class.

I agree on Jimmy, but he has to prove it. Consider them 6a/6b.

Jeanie spelled Taylor's name that way the other day.

Look at Beli's record vs. Rex.

Last six years, the Jets and fish each beat the Pats 3 times in the regular season, but Rex gets the nod by also winning one post-season game. Better argument might've been look at the Bills record against the Pats, they've only beaten them twice in the last six years. 

And last year, with a horrendous roster, the Jets lost both games to the Pats by a combined three points. 

Who is Tannehill throwing to again? Getting rid of Wallace was dumb. Parker is really talented but he's not turning into a #1 receiver overnight. Unless the Phins bank on on him turning into another OBJ, they don't have a single playmaker on offense you have to plan around. The Jets, Pats and Bills all have better talent on offense.

Jets D will stack the box and force Tannehill to throw all day. Good luck against that secondary.

They have Kenny Stills and also Landry who played well as rookie last year. I would not sleep on Parker at all; I know he was drafted by the hated Dolphins but lets act like he is a slouch or something.  Many Jet fans right on this board had him ahead of White and even Cooper as best receiver in this draft.  Add running back Jay Ajayi and they do have some weapons work with. 

Last six years, the Jets and fish each beat the Pats 3 times in the regular season, but Rex gets the nod by also winning one post-season game. Better argument might've been look at the Bills record against the Pats, they've only beaten them twice in the last six years. 

And last year, with a horrendous roster, the Jets lost both games to the Pats by a combined three points. 

I actually know the details of both the Rex and Bills vs the Pats, I did an exhaustive look at it to prove someone else wrong. I just had to throw the Rex jab in there. :)

Not a chance I put Geno ahead of Garoppolo, even when he hasn't taken an NFL snap.  Jimmy was one of the guys I really wanted out of that draft class.  And it wasn't an "omg look how smart Belichick is loading up with yet another QB!" moment.  I didn't think Ryan Mallet would end up anything more than trade bait.

I know you hate Geno but he has played against the Pats already and played fairly well.  I personally like our chances against the NE Defense better than Garoppolo vs. ours.   

I actually know the details of both the Rex and Bills vs the Pats, I did an exhaustive look at it to prove someone else wrong. I just had to throw the Rex jab in there. :)

I'm well versed on the case against Rex, and I'm honestly not impressed with the staff he brought over there, or many of their personnel moves, but I do think he still has the potential to give that team a short-term boost on the cult of personality alone. That, and that he's still a good defensive coach. Do I think he can sustain that? No. Just no evidence that he learned from his mistakes here. 

As far as I'm concerned, the Pats are still the favorites to win the division. Bills are probably in a better position than the Jets or Fish, though, if the Pats gonna be overtaken. 

Mehta knows very little about football and this article makes it clear. Very little in the way of football being used as evidence for his claim. He really must have just been put in the role of Jets beat writer because they had no other open spots at the NYDN.

I'm well versed on the case against Rex, and I'm honestly not impressed with the staff he brought over there, or many of their personnel moves, but I do think he still has the potential to give that team a short-term boost on the cult of personality alone. That, and that he's still a good defensive coach. Do I think he can sustain that? No. Just no evidence that he learned from his mistakes here. 

As far as I'm concerned, the Pats are still the favorites to win the division. Bills are probably in a better position than the Jets or Fish, though, if the Pats gonna be overtaken. 

I mostly agree, until we see what we get from Bowles as a functional head coach, and from the QB position. If Ryan Fitzpatrick picks up where he left off with the Texans, and the rest of this team does what it says they should be able to do on paper, then we're winning the division regardless of the Brady crap.

I think we can win 9, with bad QB play. I think we can with 12-13 if everything comes together and the QB position doesn't hand wins away left and right as it has done the past decade.

1. Cheating Tom Brady

3. Tannehill

4. Fitzpatrick

5. Matt Moore

6. Geno

7. Garrapolo

8. Tyson Taylor

You rankings are accurate except one thing.

Your non-cheating Tom Brady ranking most likely assumes that the only cheating he was indulging in was deflating footballs. I think that's not the ONLY way Patriots and Tom Brady cheat so as such there is no way to determine what a non-cheating TOm Brady would perform like leave alone be the 2nd best in the division.

So, 5-9.

I know you hate Geno but he has played against the Pats already and played fairly well.  I personally like our chances against the NE Defense better than Garoppolo vs. ours.   

I don't hate Geno as a person.  I just think he's a terrible quarterback, and the numbers bare that out.  Not to mention, this isn't a list of "best QB's against New England" or "Best QB against the Jets D".  It's a ranking of the QB's.  And in this case I'll take the devil you don't know yet (Garoppolo), who was a pretty high prospect coming out of school, over Geno. 

Also, here's how Geno did in his 4 games against New England:

Week 2, 2013:  15-35, 214 yards, 0 TD's, 3 INT's (27.6 QB Rating)

Week 7, 2013:  17-33, 233 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (71.9 QB Rating)

Week 7, 2014:  20-34, 226 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT's (88.6 QB Rating)

Week 15, 2014:  17-27, 210 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (83.9 QB Rating)

TOTAL:  69-129 (54 %), 883 yards (221 per game), 3 TD's, 5 INT's.

That's pretty pedestrian numbers, at best. 

Who is Tannehill throwing to again? Getting rid of Wallace was dumb. Parker is really talented but he's not turning into a #1 receiver overnight. Unless the Phins bank on on him turning into another OBJ, they don't have a single playmaker on offense you have to plan around. The Jets, Pats and Bills all have better talent on offense.

Jets D will stack the box and force Tannehill to throw all day. Good luck against that secondary.

Tannenbaum can always trade for Stephen Hill to show just how right he was.

I don't hate Geno as a person.  I just think he's a terrible quarterback, and the numbers bare that out.  Not to mention, this isn't a list of "best QB's against New England" or "Best QB against the Jets D".  It's a ranking of the QB's.  And in this case I'll take the devil you don't know yet (Garoppolo), who was a pretty high prospect coming out of school, over Geno. 

Also, here's how Geno did in his 4 games against New England:

Week 2, 2013:  15-35, 214 yards, 0 TD's, 3 INT's (27.6 QB Rating)

Week 7, 2013:  17-33, 233 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (71.9 QB Rating)

Week 7, 2014:  20-34, 226 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT's (88.6 QB Rating)

Week 15, 2014:  17-27, 210 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (83.9 QB Rating)

TOTAL:  69-129 (54 %), 883 yards (221 per game), 3 TD's, 5 INT's.

That's pretty pedestrian numbers, at best. 

All true, but the first one was his second NFL start and he was more or less fine through 3 quarters. That 4th Q was awful.

The final 3 games are far more relevant to what type of QB he'd be in 2015 than the 2nd game of his NFL career. And while the receivers don't make the QB, it was a pretty poor group of receivers in week 2 of 2013; the best of the bunch was a post-Lisfranc Santonio Holmes. A tad worse than the 2015 group we'll have this year.

Since then it's more TDs than INTs. While no one's getting his bust ready for Canton, nor is anyone suggesting we don't need a serious upgrade over the QB play of the past 2 (ok, the past 6) seasons, the 81+ QB rating over the last 3 vs NE might even be on par with the rest of the league against them.

You rankings are accurate except one thing.

Your non-cheating Tom Brady ranking most likely assumes that the only cheating he was indulging in was deflating footballs. I think that's not the ONLY way Patriots and Tom Brady cheat so as such there is no way to determine what a non-cheating TOm Brady would perform like leave alone be the 2nd best in the division.

No, I'm pretty positive any version of non-cheating Tom Brady is still better than everyone else in this division.

"Rex Ryan was probably somewhere in Orchard Park, N.Y., doing celebratory chest bumps around 5:30 p.m. Monday after the NFL delivered the news that Tom Brady will be suspended for the first four games of 2015 for his shenanigans in the DeflateGate scandal."

Actually Rex said he wanted to play the Patriots with Brady

Any competitor would, and Rex is a very intense competitor. Jeanie...question about your Sabres. The fans up there must be livid that they tanked the season to get McDavid and end up with the 3rd pick, huh? Won't even get Jack Eichel now.

Top five players in the division:

Gronkowski NE

Brady NE

Suh MIA

Revis NY

Wake MIA

LOL give me a break. You HONESTLY believe Gronk is the best player in the division? Over Brady and Revis? C'mon, you know he doesn't take over games like those guys do.

And what about Sheldon Richardson? He's the best d-lineman in the division after Suh. He deserves to be at #5 in place of Wake.

Any competitor would, and Rex is a very intense competitor. Jeanie...question about your Sabres. The fans up there must be livid that they tanked the season to get McDavid and end up with the 3rd pick, huh? Won't even get Jack Eichel now.

Section314:  I don't follow hockey at all.  Sorry I can't answer your question

Pats will win the division again. Every year we do this. And every year we are wrong.

As long as belli and brady are there, no team has a shot at the division.

Then go root for the Giants, you whiny SOJF douche. Leave this site to the TRUE JET FANS.

They are not winning the division. In fact, I'll even bet you on it. If I win, you leave the board for a year. If you do, I'll do the same. Fair?

That's ok....football is a full time job. I'm sure you have seen that since you joined our board. :winking0001:

I have.  In addition I spend a lot of time in the Bills Mafia Site  and also frequent other AFC East Teams' sites to see what's going on.

The phrase I keep hearing in my head is "GARRAPOLO TO GRONK AGAIN!". The shocking thing about Ryan's tempest in a teapot with Amaro is it was the first time he cared about an opposing tight end ever. Also you need to score more than 10 points to win NFL games.

I hope the jets have a great season. But I KNOW this Rex Ryan flameout is gonna be a great  unfolding fiasco.

I needed a good laugh after that joke that Troy Vincent called "discipline" was handed down yesterday.

How anyone could think that a Rex Ryan coached team is going to surpass the Cheaters is beyond me.  We probably have a better shot than they do just because Rex Ryan isn't our coach.

Archived