Breaking: NFL upholds Tom Brady's 4-game suspension.

Morrissey

This just in: NFL has filed papers in New York District Court to confirm Brady suspension.

This is an attempt by the NFL to stop Judge Dody getting the case in Minnesota district court.

This is a good legal move against Brady and the NFLPA!

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BradyFan: Brady didn't have to turn over his phone.  NFL has no subpoena power!

NFL: In federal court we will.

BradyFan: Well ... um ... I guess that's why he destroyed it.

NFL: And we can get access to his cloud data.

BradyFan: ...

lol so true

Paul Weiss or whomever is repping the NFL right now puts one of their lit support guys on this it'd take 10 minutes to can Brady....him digging deeper here is a loss for him

This.  Plus, Brady runs the risk that even if he gets a TRO to stay the suspension, he runs the risk of losing and then having the 4 game suspension implemented later in the year when the Pats are jockeying for playoff seeding.

Not to mention that I find it hard to believe that no one in Brady's inner circle understands that the more he protests, the worse he looks. Especially since his version of events doesn't seem to jibe with anyone else's. 

I think he probably will, but it would be a huge mistake. Between the CBA, the well-reasoned decision, and the undermining of Brady's credibility, no court is going to overturn the suspension and he will just distract the team by doing so and keep the issue in the public eye even longer than it already has been. Better if he just cuts his losses now -- this will look even worse than it already does with the imprimatur of a federal judge.

The problem is I don't think Brady really does cares about the Patriots.

I think Tom Brady only cares about Tom Brady..

This just in: NFL has filed papers in New York District Court to confirm Brady suspension.

This is an attempt by the NFL to stop Judge Dody getting the case in Minnesota district court.

This is a good legal move against Brady and the NFLPA!

Seems like a stupid legal move to me. I don't see how the league is affirmatively entitled to a declaratory judgment as to the validity of the suspension. There's no live controversy until Brady sues.

BradyFan: Brady didn't have to turn over his phone.  NFL has no subpoena power!

NFL: In federal court we will.

BradyFan: Well ... um ... I guess that's why he destroyed it.

NFL: And we can get access to his cloud data.

BradyFan: ...

Brady is a POS cheater - but i'd never call him a stupid cheater.

If this stuff is in the cloud somewhere - he can move into the stupid cheater category by taking Roger to court.

Seems like a stupid legal move to me. I don't see how the league is affirmatively entitled to a declaratory judgment as to the validity of the suspension. There's no live controversy until Brady sues.

it all comes down to location of disciplinary action. once you file a registry of notice to the New York federal Court, any appeal can only be filed from that location.

This injunctions the Federal District Court in Minnesota from any type of filing. They would no longer have jurisdiction should Brady and the NFLPA file an appeal, Any advantages of having Judge Dody (US District Court - Minnesota) on their side is moot.

This has nothing to do with the declaratory judgments - this is just protection of where an appeal can be filed...

This is why you're obviously not a ******* lawyer.

It's on.

Can't link twitter from here, but Trotter is reported Brady gave the NFLPA the go ahead to file.

This is officially going to be the greatest story of all time. We'll have to rearrange the list:

1. Brady loses in court.

2. Man on the moon.

3. Victory over Japan day.

4. Lee surrenders to Grant.

5. Halle Berry shows her boobs in Swordfish.

Gary Myers ‏@garymyersNYDN 16m16 minutes ago

Sources just told me Brady camp will definitely be filing for an injunction to put the four game suspension on hold.

To get an injunction he will have to convince a judge he has a good chance to win. Psi and his innocence won't be litigated in this appeal. It will be procedure and whether or not he was suspended fairly under the cba.

The problem is I don't think Brady really does cares about the Patriots.

I think Tom Brady only cares about Tom Brady..

great point. lost in all this is that 4 games or 2 games or 8 games, the penalty of losing a rd 1 draft pick hurts the team way worse. 

I think he probably will, but it would be a huge mistake.  Between the CBA, the well-reasoned decision, and the undermining of Brady's credibility, no court is going to overturn the suspension and he will just distract the team by doing so and keep the issue in the public eye even longer than it already has been.  Better if he just cuts his losses now -- this will look even worse than it already does with the imprimatur of a federal judge.  

I trust you noticed Goodell's statements regarding the science in the Wells report, and noted that the Princeton physicist who reviewed it, and testified at the appeal hearing, called it a first-class piece of work. I am sure you realize I agree with that assessment.

I trust you noticed Goodell's statements regarding the science in the Wells report, and noted that the Princeton physicist who reviewed it, and testified at the appeal hearing, called it a first-class piece of work. I am sure you realize I agree with that assessment.

But the scientitian that Bob Kraft paid said it was bullsh*t. 

it all comes down to location of disciplinary action. once you file a registry of notice to the New York federal Court, any appeal can only be filed from that location.

This injunctions the Federal District Court in Minnesota from any type of filing. They would no longer have jurisdiction should Brady and the NFLPA file an appeal, Any advantages of having Judge Dody (US District Court - Minnesota) on their side is moot.

This has nothing to do with the declaratory judgments - this is just protection of where an appeal can be filed...

Filing a registry of notice isn't a thing. Where the suit can be filed is a matter of the normal rules of jurisdiction and venue. And yeah, I really am pretty sure that any kind of actual filing from the NFL here would have to be a deca.

Archived