Who should lead the chant next?

Maxman

Yes, another chant thread. But let's say that Ed is moving back to retirement. Who should do the chant next?

I say it should be JetMan. He seems like a really good dude. We interviewed him years ago before a tailgate. I believe he drives pretty far to get to the games. And he is wearing a cape. You have to root for someone who is wearing a cape.

The other guy fell during one of the chants. I don't think you get to mess up on your first day and continue. Sorry, but Jetman gets my vote.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, another chant thread. But let's say that Ed is moving back to retirement. Who should do the chant next?

I say it should be JetMan. He seems like a really good dude. We interviewed him years ago before a tailgate. I believe he drives pretty far to get to the games. And he is wearing a cape. You have to root for someone who is wearing a cape.

The other guy fell during one of the chants. I don't think you get to mess up on your first day and continue. Sorry, but Jetman gets my vote.

I second the nomination.

JetMan is the guy on the lower left of my signature photo below.

I believe he comes down from New Hampshire.

No questioning his dedication and commitment to the Jets.

SAR I...  with a BMW hat on should lead.

Don't really dig the copious amounts of Mari-Gras beads he wears...............who knows what devious deeds were committed to secure that bounty of beads resulting in that glorious green & White "pearl" necklace rung around his neck!

I wonder what their wives and kids think when they leave the house looking like that?

Or, sh*t, their neighbors.  If they look closely they can probably see their property values temporarily decrease while Captain Jet walks to his car before recovering after he drives away.

Or, sh*t, their neighbors.  If they look closely they can probably see their property values temporarily decrease while Captain Jet walks to his car before recovering after he drives away.

Sorry, that was judgmental and mean of me.  I have no beef with these guys and, as Max says, you don't mess with a guy wearing a cape.

For all I know, Jet Man volunteers all his time volunteering helping children while Captain Jet is an M.D./Ph.D doing groundbreaking brain cancer research.

Oh, and I would like Fireman Ed to stick around.  I say that selfishly and understand if he wants to move on.  I just think he is currently the best at leading the chant and think the chat does add a little to the gameday experience.  It's kind of cool when the Jets are doing well and the stadium is loud, fans are pumped, etc.

Oh, and I would like Fireman Ed to stick around.  I say that selfishly and understand if he wants to move on.  I just think he is currently the best at leading the chant and think the chat does add a little to the gameday experience.  It's kind of cool when the Jets are doing well and the stadium is loud, fans are pumped, etc.

The chant happens AFTER we score.  It's like the Mets centerfield apple, the Yankees chimes, the Rangers "GOAL" song, the Islanders "Yes! Yes!" and all the other silly jingles and dance music that plays in arenas and stadiums across the country AFTER a score when everyone is in a partying mood.

It does NOTHING to intimidate our opponents.  The players are too busy high-fiving to hear it.  The post-score TV timeout is the very best time to go to the bathroom.  The PC Richards whistle is more impactful to the play on the field than the stupid chant, the air raid siren too. 

SAR I

Who should do the chant next?

Tell Ed Anzalone this:

If you asked 100 Jets fans the name of the Fireman, only 3 could answer.  What the public sees is a white hat and a 42 jersey.  For the chant to survive, people need to see the hat and the jersey.  Ed needs to surrender the costume to the Jets and let them put a professional mascot in it.  This way, it's recognizable on the screens for those who want to participate, fans can get into it because there is no agenda and baggage from a grumpy quitter related to it, and the Jets can control it and ensure the person in the costume represents the team professionally and properly.

Tell Ed to surrender the trademark, give the rights to the costume to the New York Jets LLC.  See what he says.  I'll start a petition.

SAR I

The chant happens AFTER we score.  It's like the Mets centerfield apple, the Yankees chimes, the Rangers "GOAL" song, the Islanders "Yes! Yes!" and all the other silly jingles and dance music that plays in arenas and stadiums across the country AFTER a score when everyone is in a partying mood.

It does NOTHING to intimidate our opponents.  The players are too busy high-fiving to hear it.  The post-score TV timeout is the very best time to go to the bathroom.  The PC Richards whistle is more impactful to the play on the field than the stupid chant, the air raid siren too. 

SAR I

I hear you, and don't disagree about it not helping the players.  I do think when things are going well the chant helps amplify the overall excitement level of the crowd.  And maybe that feeds into more crowd noise when the Jets are on D, etc which may ultimately help the Jets.

Plus it's always been there since I started going around 20 years ago.  So for me it's just always been part of the deal.

One thing I think that is funny/awkward is we here know all the details of what's going on with Ed, the chant, etc, but the casual fan has no idea.  I got a text from a friend while at the game yesterday saying "Fireman Ed's back?"  Then saw a spot on ESPN where they were welcoming back Fireman Ed.  This is a minor point, but I feel like we Jets fans were the subject of some ridicule when he first left.  I think if there is now Ed drama (Is he back?  He's back for just a game?  He's kind of back?  He's gone again...no wait...he's back!) we will get some more ridicule.  Or, highlighting that we're transitioning from a guy with a fireman's hat to a guy with an airplane on his head does paint us in a bit of a ridiculous light.

I hear you, and don't disagree about it not helping the players.  I do think when things are going well the chant helps amplify the overall excitement level of the crowd.  And maybe that feeds into more crowd noise when the Jets are on D, etc which may ultimately help the Jets.

Plus it's always been there since I started going around 20 years ago.  So for me it's just always been part of the deal.

One thing I think that is funny/awkward is we here know all the details of what's going on with Ed, the chant, etc, but the casual fan has no idea.  I got a text from a friend while at the game yesterday saying "Fireman Ed's back?"  Then saw a spot on ESPN where they were welcoming back Fireman Ed.  This is a minor point, but I feel like we Jets fans were the subject of some ridicule when he first left.  I think if there is now Ed drama (Is he back?  He's back for just a game?  He's kind of back?  He's gone again...no wait...he's back!) we will get some more ridicule.  Or, highlighting that we're transitioning from a guy with a fireman's hat to a guy with an airplane on his head does paint us in a bit of a ridiculous light.

6974194.jpg

+1

The chant has turned from something quaint and nostalgic to something stupid and humiliating.

It all goes back to the fact that the chant is about a person and not an organization.  Ed Anzalone's feelings shouldn't be newsworthy.  Pat The Patriot might be depressed for all we know but he keeps his f---ing mouth shut and smiles like a good mascot. 

SAR I

Should be a few people doing it throughout the stadium.  The way the new stadium is built unless the camera is on you 80% of the stadium cannot see you.  People just need to coordinate things better.  Instead now with 70% of the stadium being people who are not STHs you get Vito from Sheepshead Bay yelling J E T S randomly during the game. 

Same problem at Yankees games.  You have everyone at different times yelling Let's Go Yankees but never at the same time and it doesn't work out.

Should be a few people doing it throughout the stadium.  The way the new stadium is built unless the camera is on you 80% of the stadium cannot see you.  People just need to coordinate things better.  Instead now with 70% of the stadium being people who are not STHs you get Vito from Sheepshead Bay yelling J E T S randomly during the game. 

Same problem at Yankees games.  You have everyone at different times yelling Let's Go Yankees but never at the same time and it doesn't work out.

Maybe it's time we all got the memo that the concept of fans coordinating their efforts is passe and from a different era. 

Women figure skaters used to wear evening gowns.  Goalies once played without masks.  Fan based crowd participation grew from long TV timeouts where nothing was going on in the stadiums or arenas for minutes at a time.  Remember The Wave?  The "Potvin Sucks!" whistle?  Helmet Races?  Today, different story.  Each blessed moment of the game is scripted by the PA people, every moment of our free time is sponsored and paid for, we check our phones, we Tweet, we check fantasy scores, there simply isn't the time or the bandwidth to put the effort into an organized fan chant.

And, of course, unlike other New York chants like "Let's Go Rangers!" and "Der--Rick--Jee--Ter" which are anonymous and genuine, our chant has been engineered and designed to promote it's owner and we're too smart to be played like that, especially after the Thanksgiving quit for which he will never be forgiven.

SAR I

Maybe it's time we all got the memo that the concept of fans coordinating their efforts is passe and from a different era. 

Women figure skaters used to wear evening gowns.  Goalies once played without masks.  Fan based crowd participation grew from long TV timeouts where nothing was going on in the stadiums or arenas for minutes at a time.  Remember The Wave?  The "Potvin Sucks!" whistle?  Helmet Races?  Today, different story.  Each blessed moment of the game is scripted by the PA people, every moment of our free time is sponsored and paid for, we check our phones, we Tweet, we check fantasy scores, there simply isn't the time or the bandwidth to put the effort into an organized fan chant.

And, of course, unlike other New York chants like "Let's Go Rangers!" and "Der--Rick--Jee--Ter" which are anonymous and genuine, our chant has been engineered and designed to promote it's owner and we're too smart to be played like that, especially after the Thanksgiving quit for which he will never be forgiven.

SAR I

Free time?  That's when they blast the music so loud I can't hear the person 2 seats over speaking to me. 

I think it needs to be led by one guy so there is focus, unity and support behind every chant.

Key ingredient, which IMO is critical, is the Jet's PA system has to allow for appropriate periods of silence at the appropriate times for it to be effective.

I saw an open letter to Jets fans by Fireman Ed float by on Facebook. I am holding off on posting here since not sure of site affiliation or whatever and don't want to be a DB as I like this place and don't want to break forum etiquette

But in said open letter Ed clearly says 

"The chant is now in the hands of Scott in section 121 and Rob “Jetman” in section 140. I believe they will do a great job and keep the chant tradition alive for many years to come. I will continue to be at all of our home games (as always) and a few road games as well. I look forward to talking to the fans at these games as well."

He also briefly addresses his detractors.  Thought I'd share in case anyone is interested, and my apologies if this was posted elsewhere

I think it's pretty sad that a fan base has to rely on some person to make the stadium loud or get fired up. Since Ed retired they have sucked. So if they play better it doesn't really matter if anybody leads the chant. Jet fans are reactive.

Archived