Joe Namath

JohnnyLV

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brady could have NEVER played during that era, not with the way he whines. Could you imagine BenDavidson throwing a forearm at that pretty boy's jaw? 265 Lb LBers routinely threw themselves on the QB after EVERY throw that they could get close enough to. The out of bounds hits? You kidding me? Brady would be pointing and screaming. Just watch ANY one whole game from the mid to late 60's up until say 76' and start making the calls as if you were an official from today. There would be ejections countless 15 yard unnec. roughness penalties and pass interference calls galore.

Look at the 80's hits.  Watch a replay/ highlight of the 85 Bears, you don't even have to go back to the 70s.  Namath was unbelievably tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irh1KeibACQ

(go to the 1:10 mark)

When was the last time you heard the terms "clothesline" or "head slap" ?  I was well after Namath and those were still sort of things when I was coming up. The Raiders and Chiefs were some big nasty ****ers.

One of my earliest memories as a kid watching football was Ben Davidson diving head first into Otis Taylor's stomach after he was down, and a huge fight broke out. It was like WWF, with the raiders the bad guys and the chiefs the good guys.

+100.  This is why it drives me nuts when I read a column from some 30 year old sports writer looking at a stats book saying that Namath is overrated....

those guys kill me. Questioning if namath deserves the hall of fame. Joe is the absolute most important player the league has ever had. He doubled tv viewership brought women into fandom, gave legitimacy to the AFL and caused an explosion of ticket sales throughout the league. The Beatles couldn't wait to meet him for cripes sake. He transcended the buzz cut football hero and through movies and TV and papers and magazines and high profile friends and constant attention, he made the league interesting to millions who'd rather watch baseball. It's not the hall of stats. It's the hall of fame. I'd argue that if you were to empty out the hall and start from scratch, namath should be the first inductee. No one playet has done more for the NFL period. 

Brady plays against MUCH bigger, stronger, faster players today.  if they were doing the now illegal moves they would kill people on the field.

I'm not going to argue with you on this point because I like you nyjunc, but let's just say I beg to differ I watched those games a LOT of them and I watch today's games and I see the big difference in the way the game is called and played, Brady couldn't handle the game the way it was played back then-it's a moot point really though, a stupid point to bring up but I did it mostly because I hate Tom Brady unlike any player ever I guess. Right up there with Marino but much much much more disdain for Brady because not only is he cry baby complainer like Marino but he's also a cheater, a liar and well he is for Trump

I'm not going to argue with you on this point because I like you nyjunc, but let's just say I beg to differ I watched those games a LOT of them and I watch today's games and I see the big difference in the way the game is called and played, Brady couldn't handle the game the way it was played back then-it's a moot point really though, a stupid point to bring up but I did it mostly because I hate Tom Brady unlike any player ever I guess. Right up there with Marino but much much much more disdain for Brady because not only is he cry baby complainer like Marino but he's also a cheater, a liar and well he is for Trump

Brady vs. Ben Davidson or the Deacon would be kind of interesting to see...  :help:

If Namath had Dr. James Andrews Jets would've won multiple rings

he had Dr. James Nicholas, was the Dr James Andrews of his day.  Just didn't have the technology and technices of today.  They would have scoped him today and sent him on his way instead of ripping his knee open.  That at he lasted as long as he did is a testament to his toughness

John Madden said he was the only opposing player the he (Madden) ever waited for after the game to shake his hand.

Bear Bryant said Namath was the greatest player he ever saw.

Vince Lombardi said Namath was the greatest QB he ever saw.  

Kids on the internet disagree 

he had Dr. James Nicholas, was the Dr James Andrews of his day.  Just didn't have the technology and technices of today.  They would have scoped him today and sent him on his way instead of ripping his knee open.  That at he lasted as long as he did is a testament to his toughness

so glad you sorted that out. i was kidding btw. #internet

we are allowed to disagree.  there's no question the game is called and played differently but it wouldn't be possible to play it the same way as the 60s and 70s, players would be literally dying on the field w/ the bigger, stronger, faster, better athletes of today.

Brady is the best I have ever seen, it sucks that he elevated a hated rival to a dynasty but I can't lie.  I have never seen a better QB.

Bear Bryant said Namath was the greatest player he ever saw.

Vince Lombardi said Namath was the greatest QB he ever saw.  

Kids on the internet disagree 

Bear Bryant was a his coach, don't you think he was a little biased?

Lombardi's quote was Joe was "the perfect passer", that is about physical gifts not about what he actually accomplished on the field.

a healthy Joe possessed incredible physical gifts to play the position but there is much more about playing the position than physical gifts and once he lost those physical gifts he was a mediocre QB the majority of his career.

we are allowed to disagree.  there's no question the game is called and played differently but it wouldn't be possible to play it the same way as the 60s and 70s, players would be literally dying on the field w/ the bigger, stronger, faster, better athletes of today.

Brady is the best I have ever seen, it sucks that he elevated a hated rival to a dynasty but I can't lie.  I have never seen a better QB.

It wouldn't be so bad about Brady being great I think it's the A-hole fans of that team that make him hated that much more. Who ever thought that perhaps there was a reason why the sports gods kept the Red Sox losers for 4 generations. I mean OK, they had a great B-ball team, but that's basketball and who really cares? The Pats were a joke up until Mo Lewis and then we got to see what a bunch of Johnny-come-lately dickheads they were-with a few individual exceptions

It wouldn't be so bad about Brady being great I think it's the A-hole fans of that team that make him hated that much more. Who ever thought that perhaps there was a reason why the sports gods kept the Red Sox losers for 4 generations. I mean OK, they had a great B-ball team, but that's basketball and who really cares? The Pats were a joke up until Mo Lewis and then we got to see what a bunch of Johnny-come-lately dickheads they were-with a few individual exceptions

it sucks, Boston is our main sports rivals and they have had a dominant run since the mo lewis hit w/ championships in the major sports.  I hate it but I still have to be honest- just as Larry Bird was one of the best ever so is Brady and I really believe he is the best I have ever seen.

Bear Bryant was a his coach, don't you think he was a little biased?

Lombardi's quote was Joe was "the perfect passer", that is about physical gifts not about what he actually accomplished on the field.

a healthy Joe possessed incredible physical gifts to play the position but there is much more about playing the position than physical gifts and once he lost those physical gifts he was a mediocre QB the majority of his career.

If only Namath had been as great (and cuddly)as my Mark was

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

digging deeper and deeper into reality.

If only those NFL idiots had your brilliant perspective and knowledge they wouldn't have wasted a HOF spot on Namath and would have saved that spot for the greatest QB of all time, your beloved Mark Sanchez

If only those NFL idiots had your brilliant perspective and knowledge they wouldn't have wasted a HOF spot on Namath and would have saved that spot for the greatest QB of all time, your beloved Mark Sanchez

Joe is in the hall for all he meant to the game not for what he actually did on the field.  his career on the field was not Hall worthy but there haven't been many, if any, as important to the growth of the league than Joe.

I love deflections as if I have ever said mark was a great QB. 

Archived