QB debate-just trust Bowles!

johnnyjet

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not true. Directly contradicts what Gailey actually said in his early press conference, and it is significant that there was no pressure for the new staff to hitch their star to Geno but that chose to. That shows that they felt Geno was clearly ahead, and up to the point that he got injured he was clearly outperforming Fitz in camp.

I have no ******* idea what you are talking about, but I can tell you it is absolutely 100% true.   Geno was handed the job.  I'm not sure how you can claim that there was  an "intense review" when one guy didn't step foot until a field full week after Gailey announced the starter.  It was kind of hard for Geno not to be ahead.  The other guy wasn't even practicing. He wasn't fully cleared until even later.  The punch happened before the first exhibition game and I don't think they did much live scrimmaging.  I was at the Green-White practice and those sure weren't live bullets.

May 20th: "Right now, Geno's the starter," Gailey said Wednesday. "Unless something happens — an injury, or something like that, that you don't foresee — that's how we anticipate it.  <snip>  But Gailey smiled when he was asked point-blank whether Smith would be the starter when the Jets open against Cleveland.  "Don't make me say, you know, 'yes,'" Gailey said, "but probably." It was a surprising declaration on what would normally have been a ho-hum day during organized team activities. "He's done enough good, quality things that he deserves the opportunity to be the guy," Gailey said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/05/20/no-competition-chan-gailey-says-geno-smith-is-jets-starter/27659507/

May 29th" "Fitzpatrick is still recovering from a broken leg suffered last December. According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Fitzpatrick just began participating in team drills during OTAs this week."

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/51822/20150529/ny-jets-rumors-matt-simms-released-helps-bryce-petty-ryan-fitzpatrick-geno-smith-dee-milliner-muhammad-wilkerson-released-jeremy-kerley.htm

I have no ******* idea what you are talking about, but I can tell you it is absolutely 100% true.   Geno was handed the job.  I'm not sure how you can claim that there was  an "intense review" when one guy didn't step foot until a field full week after Gailey announced the starter.  It was kind of hard for Geno not to be ahead.  The other guy wasn't even practicing. He wasn't fully cleared until even later.  The punch happened before the first exhibition game and I don't think they did much live scrimmaging.  I was at the Green-White practice and those sure weren't live bullets.

May 20th: "Right now, Geno's the starter," Gailey said Wednesday. "Unless something happens — an injury, or something like that, that you don't foresee — that's how we anticipate it.  <snip>  But Gailey smiled when he was asked point-blank whether Smith would be the starter when the Jets open against Cleveland.  "Don't make me say, you know, 'yes,'" Gailey said, "but probably." It was a surprising declaration on what would normally have been a ho-hum day during organized team activities. "He's done enough good, quality things that he deserves the opportunity to be the guy," Gailey said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/05/20/no-competition-chan-gailey-says-geno-smith-is-jets-starter/27659507/

May 29th" "Fitzpatrick is still recovering from a broken leg suffered last December. According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Fitzpatrick just began participating in team drills during OTAs this week."

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/51822/20150529/ny-jets-rumors-matt-simms-released-helps-bryce-petty-ryan-fitzpatrick-geno-smith-dee-milliner-muhammad-wilkerson-released-jeremy-kerley.htm

Geno was named the starter BEFORE camp because the HC simply did not want every session with the media to begin and end with the inevitable "who is ahead?" questions.

Give the nod to the incumbent (Geno) especially since the other guy is not even healthy and then let the actual preseason games tell you what you need to know.

<laughing> at the idea that Geno had "proven" anything.

You guys do realize that even if Bowles hinted at going back to Geno(It's inevitable btw, no matter how much you get your panties in a bunch about it), he  needs to play catchup and practice for a few weeks before being ready to start correct?

Some of yall between this thread and the other Geno vs Fitz wars on this board are just making stuff up as yall go along. Fitz is starting because we're 2-1 and Geno isn't ready to start yet, even if Bowles wanted to make the switch right now.....

Excellent post. 

Geno was named the starter BEFORE camp because the HC simply did not want every session with the media to begin and end with the inevitable "who is ahead?" questions.

Give the nod to Geno since especially the other guy is not even healthy and then let the actual preseason games tell you what you need to know.

<laughing> at the idea that Geno had "proven" anything.

Geno was named the starter before camp.

Fitz was not healthy for the start of camp

Geno had his best camp of his career. He limited his INTs and the daily reports were generally glowing.

Fitz, while probably not 100%, did not look nearly as good, according to the daily reports.

Geno, probably through some fault of his own, got punched in the face and broke his jaw. Whether this action was an indictment of Geno's overall character and status in the locker room can be debated. Players will generally rush to defend a player who has got it done on the field. Geno, in his first two season, has not.

Fitz, as a result, gets the starting job. Has a ho-hum preseason. Game 1 starts slow, but has a nice 2nd half. Game 2 starts and ends strong. Game 3 is off his game.. in some might say, 'Geno-esque' fashion

Where are we now? Hopefully a solid game from Fitz and the Jets roll.  I think another bad game by Fitz will have the media calling for Geno. But I just don't see Bowles making the change, even in a bye week, if that's the case. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowles waited for the team to be 2-4 or 2-5 before making a QB swap.. Fitz is really going to have to play himself out of the job.. which to this point, he hasn't done

Geno was named the starter before camp.

Fitz was not healthy for the start of camp

Geno had his best camp of his career. He limited his INTs and the daily reports were generally glowing.

Fitz, while probably not 100%, did not look nearly as good, according to the daily reports.

Geno, probably through some fault of his own, got punched in the face and broke his jaw. Whether this action was an indictment of Geno's overall character and status in the locker room can be debated. Players will generally rush to defend a player who has got it done on the field. Geno, in his first two season, has not.

Fitz, as a result, gets the starting job. Has a ho-hum preseason. Game 1 starts slow, but has a nice 2nd half. Game 2 starts and ends strong. Game 3 is off his game.. in some might say, 'Geno-esque' fashion

Where are we now? Hopefully a solid game from Fitz and the Jets roll.  I think another bad game by Fitz will have the media calling for Geno. But I just don't see Bowles making the change, even in a bye week, if that's the case. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowles waited for the team to be 2-4 or 2-5 before making a QB swap.. Fitz is really going to have to play himself out of the job.. which to this point, he hasn't done

Geno was named starter on or around May 20 and Camp opened two months later.

NY Post link

Hardly anyone beating out anyone else.

Geno was named starter on or around May 20 and Camp opened two months later.

NY Post link

Hardly anyone beating out anyone else.

Yes. That's true.

It's also true that Geno had a great camp. Some don't put much stock into that, but it is what it is. He was outplaying Fitz, whatever the reasons, until the day of the punch. Of course, a full preseason would've helped determine how far along Geno was, but obviously that didn't happen.

Yes. That's true.

It's also true that Geno had a great camp. Some don't put much stock into that, but it is what it is. He was outplaying Fitz, whatever the reasons, until the day of the punch. Of course, a full preseason would've helped determine how far along Geno was, but obviously that didn't happen.

Fitz wasn't impressive in preseason so I think geno easily would have won the job but he got hurt, fitz took over and hopefully Fitz gets it going soon and if not I hope Geno is ready to finally play like a solid QB.

I was arguing with another fan today about Geno. He said Geno was the #1 in preseason therefore he should play. Using that logic Fitz is the #1 now and he should play. Why does Bowles Preseason judgement get deference over his current judgement? 

If Fitz was playing well he then Geno hasn't done enough to get his job back but Fitz hasn't played well.  Fitz has to get it going, he doesn't have to be great but he has to be better than he has played.

If Fitz was playing well he then Geno hasn't done enough to get his job back but Fitz hasn't played well.  Fitz has to get it going, he doesn't have to be great but he has to be better than he has played.

it depends how we define "playing well" he's not Aaron Rodgers but he's not killing his team with pick 6's. 

I was arguing with another fan today about Geno. He said Geno was the #1 in preseason therefore he should play. Using that logic Fitz is the #1 now and he should play. Why does Bowles Preseason judgement get deference over his current judgement? 

1. Geno didn't even make it past the offseason to the "preseason"  He got punched just before the first game.

2. When people argue with me about the Jets, I just accuse them of not being real fans.

Perhaps, but Geno lost that chance when he insanely allowed a couple of hundred dollars cost him the all of the exhibition games and the first 2 games of the season. you don't just hand that kind of stupid the starting QB job. 

I was one of the guys supporting the Jets decision to stick with geno this year (instead of going with Fitz) due to Geno's upside, but now we are forced to deal with Fitz thanks to Geno's continued lack of judgment. And to be honest, I am far more comfortable with Fitz. 

You seem to forget that late TD drive against the Colts when things were looking iffy. ZERO chance Geno would have been able to do that. He would be on the bench sulking. Fitz is smart and a leader. It ain't everything, but it's far better than stupid and scared. 

Hmmm...seems like Geno had 5 come from behind victories in his rookie year. He is actually quite decent at the 2 minutes drill. It was not a great drive actually by Fitz, especially the craptastic pass to Devin, but we scored a TD thanks to the ultra promote defense. Fitz may be smart, no one knows if he is a leader, but everyone except Jets fans knows he sucks.

Hmmm...seems like Geno had 5 come from behind victories in his rookie year. He is actually quite decent at the 2 minutes drill. It was not a great drive actually by Fitz, especially the craptastic pass to Devin, but we scored a TD thanks to the ultra promote defense. Fitz may be smart, no one knows if he is a leader, but everyone except Jets fans knows he sucks.

that last sentence is so true...it's funny his last teaMs he played for are the Texans, Titans, Rams, and Bills...all looking for stop gap qbs, like us, to hold the fort...and all those fans, who are also desperate for a franchise qb, would be rolling on the floor laughing if they read the optimism some fans have on this board for him.  Even after his first 2 games he was rated #19...now he's #26...Fitz as a starting qb will always be one of the worst starting qbs in the nfl...everyone knows that...except a few buffoon jet fans...who will learn the hard way, like the buffoon Texan, ram, titan, and bills fans before them....

Simple, just keep Fritz in for a few more games. The fan base will be calling for Geno, even the ones who scream the loudest about how bad he is. Fritz is not a long term solution at QB for the NY Jets. We need to find out this year with the talent we have in place if Geno is going to answer the call. Right now we are wasting time with Fritz under center. Petty must absolutely sit this year and learn, no way should he see any field

but the practice field.

We need to know this year if we will have to use a high draft pick, say a number two on a rookie QB. we need to know this season if we will be okay with either Geno or Petty starting next season and the other backing up. Then next seasons draft using a 4th of 5th on another development QB.

Playing Fitz is doing nothing but delaying this process and hindering the future. Face it fans Fitz will most likely be playing Backup for his 7th team next season. The sooner we answer these questions the quicker we can become a true threat on both sides of the ball.

Heres My prediction for the season at QB, barring injury to anyone that plays the position.  Fitz will be the starter until he loses the job or we are eliminated from the playoffs.  After that it may be Geno or maybe even Bryce.  But until fitz plays geno like or we are eliminated he is the QB.  If we are 6 and 4 you are not seeing Geno.  If we are 4 and 6 maybe..  

Geno has done NOTHING on or off the field to warrant getting a shot to start.  Lets not forget how horrible he was, how immature he is and what a complete moron he is for losing HIS job over a measley to him $600.00.  

$600 dollars.  Think about how much money that is to a millionaire.  He probably had it in his man purse. or in the change cup in his car.  

not killing us w/ pick 6's but still killing us.

Killing us with a 2-1 record, better than most thought it would be after three games. And when the Jets beat the Dolphins and then roll up two more victories against inferior opponents after the bye, this will all seem silly. 

I don't think this decision has been made based on ability, if it was Geno would have entered the game last week and would be starting going forward.  I think it has to do w/ Fitz carrying himself like a pro and commanding respect in the LR.  that will only go so far if he keeps struggling but I believe that is why he is really the starter going forward.

No it is purely ability based. Geno has proven he has none for two years.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

they lost one game, where they had a Brandon marshall pitch fumble and Sproles PR TD. I don't see how that's Fitz killing them. 

even w/ those 2 plays if Fitz makes some of the plays that were there we win that game.  we beat Indy but midway through the 4th w/ a +4 TO ratio we were ahead only 10-7.  he is struggling, I hope he snaps out of it this week.

even w/ those 2 plays if Fitz makes some of the plays that were there we win that game.  we beat Indy but midway through the 4th w/ a +4 TO ratio we were ahead only 10-7.  he is struggling, I hope he snaps out of it this week.

usually the team that returns a PR for a TD wins. It's a game changer. 

For all the talk about Fitz and his "Struggles" he's still the best QB this team has played since Favre. 

usually the team that returns a PR for a TD wins. It's a game changer. 

For all the talk about Fitz and his "Struggles" he's still the best QB this team has played since Favre. 

I'm with you but our D kept giving the O chances, twice while attempting to comeback the O was given the ball on Philly's side of the field and we came away empty both trips.

Fitz is not the best QB since Favre, Fitz is nowhere near as good as Sanchez and he is on a Geno level.

by the way, favre sucked for us too. let's not pretend that move was a good one.

Archived