Gang Green Should be Gunning for Glennon

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   Following injuries to quarterbacks Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith during an embarrassing 34-20 loss on the road to the Oakland Raiders, multiple news outlets have reported that the Jets are already making calls to add another signal caller before Tuesday’s trade deadline but nobody knows who exactly they’re targeting at this […]

Click here to read the full story...

By Glenn Naughton

Following injuries to quarterbacks Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith during an embarrassing 34-20 loss on the road to the Oakland Raiders, multiple news outlets have reported that the Jets are already making calls to add another signal caller before Tuesday’s trade deadline but nobody knows who exactly they’re targeting at this point.

It’s worth pointing out however, that given the solid play of number one overall pick from this season’s draft, Jameis Winston, his back-up, Mike Glennon, is a more viable target than he may have been during this off-season when there was rumored interest from multiple teams in Glennon’s services.

Going out and acquiring a player of Glennon’s caliber makes so much sense that it would be a tremendous oversight on the part of the Jets if they fail to even make a call just to check the asking price .

A third-year player out of NC State, Glennon has appeared in 19 pro games in two seasons, 18 of them as a starter.  In somewhat of an odd twist however, Glennon found himself planted on the bench by Lovie Smith last season as the Head Coach chose to ignore two key factors in choosing his quarterback.

First and foremost, the big-armed Glennon, who can make every throw on the field, had a strong rookie campaign despite playing for a Tampa Bay Bucs team that was hit hard by injuries and lacked top-tier talent.  Even still, Glennon would complete just under 60% of his passes (59.4%) while throwing 19 touchdowns to just 9 interceptions.

It was after Glennon’s solid rookie campaign that Smith was hired on to lead the Bucs and without doing so much as having his quarterbacks lace up their cleats in training camp, handed the starting job to journeyman addition Josh McCown.

When McCown faltered, Smith deferred to Glennon who, in the same offense, with the same players, performed at a much higher level than McCown.  Glennon would throw 10 touchdowns to 6 interceptions in his five starts while McCown was eventually re-inserted, and finished the season with just one more TD pass than Glennon (11) and more than twice the number of interceptions (14).  Glennon also held a slight edge over McCown in completion percentage at 57.6 to 56.3.

So while only Lovie Smith knows why he sat a player who was clearly out-performing the guy in front of him, Jets fans shouldn’t allow Glennon’s inability to get on the field to dissuade them from favoring such a move.

Clearly there will be a learning curve for Glennon if he is brought in, but that’s going to be the case with almost any quarterback the Jets opt to make a move for.  What sets Glennon apart however, is that his addition brings on board another arm to compete for quarterback job on a long-term basis, something they won’t get if they call on a Matt Flynn or Tyler Thigpen-type.

Glennon has out-performed current Jets QB Geno Smith by almost every statistical measure through the first two seasons of their young careers, and if the Jets thought Bryce Petty was ready, they wouldn’t have been making phone calls before Ryan Fitzpatrick even had a chance to get looked over by the Jets training staff.

Fitzpatrick is likely going to be out for several weeks.  Geno Smith made some good throws yesterday, but also made some very Geno-like mistakes, and Petty isn’t ready.

All things considered, if there, the Jets shouldn’t pass up on the opportunity to snag a young quarterback with one of the strongest arms in the NFL who has outplayed a good number of current starting quarterbacks currently playing, in favor of a stop-gap journeyman who will be here and gone in a matter of weeks.

Offer them a conditional 4th rounder and see what happens.

If it would only take a 4th rounder the Jets would be stupid not to do it. They just spend a 4th rounder on a project in Petty. Getting an NFL experienced player who's put up nice numbers in spite of his surrounding situation would be a complete fail by Maccagnan if they dont pull the trigger. 

My thoughts is that it will probably take a little more than a 4th rounder. It may either take a 3rd, or a 4th and another late rounder, or a 4th and a player. I say trade the 4th rounder and Quinton Coples. Coples will be in a 4-3 defense which is natural for him to play and the Bucs need a DE. Coples can play DE and DT in a 4-3. 

He may have lost some weight though given his position change, but I think a 4th and Coples is a good deal for a QB they're not even using. Coples could possibly contribute immediately and getting a 4th rounder to continue to build your team around your new QB would be a wise decision to make. 

If it would only take a 4th rounder the Jets would be stupid not to do it. They just spend a 4th rounder on a project in Petty. Getting an NFL experienced player who's put up nice numbers in spite of his surrounding situation would be a complete fail by Maccagnan if they dont pull the trigger. 

My thoughts is that it will probably take a little more than a 4th rounder. It may either take a 3rd, or a 4th and another late rounder, or a 4th and a player. I say trade the 4th rounder and Quinton Coples. Coples will be in a 4-3 defense which is natural for him to play and the Bucs need a DE. Coples can play DE and DT in a 4-3. 

He may have lost some weight though given his position change, but I think a 4th and Coples is a good deal for a QB they're not even using. Coples could possibly contribute immediately and getting a 4th rounder to continue to build your team around your new QB would be a wise decision to make. 

Coples would be a very good player to trade due to his cap number next year.  But I wouldn't do any more than a 4th rounder.  4th + Coples I'm fine with.  Anything more than that, not a chance.

3 82 Tennessee Titans Mike Martin  DT Michigan Big Ten  
  3 83 Cincinnati Bengals Mohamed Sanu  WR Rutgers Big East  
  3 84 Baltimore Ravens Bernard Pierce  RB Temple MAC from Atlanta [R3 - 8]
  3 85 Detroit Lions Dwight Bentley  CB Louisiana-Lafayette Sun Belt  
  3 86 Pittsburgh Steelers Sean Spence  LB Miami (FL) ACC  
  3 87 Cleveland Browns John Hughes  DT Cincinnati Big East from Denver [R3 - 9]
  3 88 Philadelphia Eagles Nick Foles  QB Arizona Pac-12 from Houston [R3 - 10]

This is the area in the third round of the 2012 draft in which we would be drafting. Am I really going to not trade for a potential franchise QB because I'm afraid to miss out on one of these guys Jesus ******* Christ with the overvaluation of single draft picks.

Coples would be a very good player to trade due to his cap number next year.  But I wouldn't do any more than a 4th rounder.  4th + Coples I'm fine with.  Anything more than that, not a chance.

I can understand this, but I would most definitely trade a 3rd rounder for a QB that from jump I thought was better than both our back up and starter. 

We may not have to go that high, but with less than 24 hours until the trade deadline and the Jets back to the wall the Bucs may just stand firm on that. The Bucs still have the worry of trading Glennon and then Winston getting hurt next week. The value is there, not only because its Glennon but for the fact that if Winston gets hurt they will no longer have Glennon to maintain stability at the position. 

The Jets may have to pay for such a trade. 

I can understand this, but I would most definitely trade a 3rd rounder for a QB that from jump I thought was better than both our back up and starter. 

We may not have to go that high, but with less than 24 hours until the trade deadline and the Jets back to the wall the Bucs may just stand firm on that. The Bucs still have the worry of trading Glennon and then Winston getting hurt next week. The value is there, not only because its Glennon but for the fact that if Winston gets hurt they will no longer have Glennon to maintain stability at the position. 

See my post, above.

Just depends how the Jets would view someone like Glennon.  If they view him as a guy just to try to get us to the playoffs this year, then they shouldn't be giving up any more than a low rounder.  If they think he can be the guy for us for multiple years, and your rosy perspective of him is correct, then a 2nd rounder would be more than acceptable.  But I'm in the middle on this one.  I think he can produce for us in the short-term and be an excellent hold-the-fort guy while Petty develops.  Which means he's worth a mid-rounder in my eyes.

Just depends how the Jets would view someone like Glennon.  If they view him as a guy just to try to get us to the playoffs this year, then they shouldn't be giving up any more than a low rounder.  If they think he can be the guy for us for multiple years, and your rosy perspective of him is correct, then a 2nd rounder would be more than acceptable.  But I'm in the middle on this one.  I think he can produce for us in the short-term and be an excellent hold-the-fort guy while Petty develops.  Which means he's worth a mid-rounder in my eyes.

Good point. 

I agree, a third is too much.  Especially without knowing how long Fitz is out, how Geno will look after a week of practice with the 1s and what they really think of Petty at this point

I think they would hold us up.   I don't think a fourth would do it, as they have us over a barrel.

I think they would hold us up.   I don't think a fourth would do it, as they have us over a barrel.

I guess.  Glennon's contract expires after 2016 so they don't really have to trade him until the trade deadline NEXT season, but at the same time, it's possible this would be the only time to recoup solid value for him.  Backups who don't get a chance to show what they can do only lose value.  Plus, they have a 3rd stringer (Ryan Griffin) who has been around the league for 2+ seasons, so it's not like they'd need to sign a backup once trading Glennon either.

The pick does not matter.  We stink at drafting offense.  Glennon will almost certainly be better than any offensive player we pick.  Unless we want another outstanding d lineman to our mediocre defense.  

Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Buccaneers are not fielding trade offers from other teams for back QB Mike Glennon.

• According to Stroud, Buccaneers GM Jason Licht won’t deal Glennon for a mid-round pick.

Glennon has been a popular name in trade rumors for awhile now. However, all indications have been that Tampa Bay prefers to keep him as their backup, given that he’s under contract through 2016 at a reasonable salary.

The Jets were suggested as a potential suitor after Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith both sustained injuries, but it sounds like this won’t be happening.

Glennon, 25, is in the third year of his four-year, $3.104 million rookie contract that included a $637,500 signing bonus. He’ll make reasonable base salaries of $687,188 and $675,000 over the next two years.

Last year, Glennon appeared in six games for the Buccaneers and threw for 1,417 yards while completing 57.6 percent of his passes to go along with 10 touchdowns and six interceptions.

Makes sense for Tampa, why deal a very viable backup on a good contract for a middling pick?  If they wait till the off season some desperate team might give them a 2nd or a couple of picks if they choose to trade him.

If the Buc's wanted a 2nd I would do it looking at the history of our 2nd rd picks..LOL Or Coples and a 3rd would work also..

Archived