Stafford?

cant wait

would you support the jets making a deal to acquire stafford if the lions made him available? I think I would, I'm not sure how long  the jets window is given their core players are all getting older (Revis, mangold, brick, marshall, Harris) and may soon run into cap issues with keeping the DL together so I think the time for a big move should be soon

Off season. Yes.  I agree about the window closing. Brick, nick, Marshall, revis, Harris - the core is getting older.  we need a vet QB - not enough time to develop and wait on a rook - and I think Stafford is a significant upgrade from fitz.  We should be active in trying to get any decent available vets to come in the offseason.

blah blah blah lol like we don't say this all the time! 

he's an accurate passer, has a cannon for an arm, and has been pretty damn tough and durable (after his first two seasons obviously)

he has 2 years left on his deal, and his cap number is $22 mill

http://overthecap.com/player/matt-stafford/1060/#.Vjv4fys8tbw

27 year old QB's don't give money away, so forget about trading for him and having him do you any favors there

27 year old QB's don't give money away, so forget about trading for him and having him do you any favors there

yeah mac would need to do some creative work there, probably have to cut cro immediately, include wilkerson/coples with a deal and get their numbers off the books too, then sign stafford to an extension and spread the cap number out over a couple years? I'm not going to pretend I understand maneuvering the salary cap stuff but I think it's possible to find room

Wonder how much an offseason trade would cost for him... Wouldn't be cheap, but how much better is he really than what we've had? Granted, he'll have a megatron type receiver in Marshall that can still bail him out, and he's no stranger to throwing 300 yard games, something that should intrigue us. Large cap number but I wouldn't be mad if we made that move. Try everything until you find a QB. 

yeah mac would need to do some creative work there, probably have to cut cro immediately, include wilkerson/coples with a deal and get their numbers off the books too, then sign stafford to an extension and spread the cap number out over a couple years? I'm not going to pretend I understand maneuvering the salary cap stuff but I think it's possible to find room

holy sh*t I just looked up cro's deal.  he is 100% gone after this year, lol

http://overthecap.com/player/antonio-cromartie/966/'

I think wilk gets tagged, and his number jumps from $7mm to about $14 mm, erasing cro's savings

coples is another dead man walking, he will save us almost $8mm which could bring staffords number down to $14mm essentially

http://overthecap.com/player/quinton-coples/1016/

but that leaves the team needing an OLB they aren't cheap

I think he's just too expensive

Wonder how much an offseason trade would cost for him... Wouldn't be cheap, but how much better is he really than what we've had? Granted, he'll have a megatron type receiver in Marshall that can still bail him out, and he's no stranger to throwing 300 yard games, something that should intrigue us. Large cap number but I wouldn't be mad if we made that move. Try everything until you find a QB. 

chicago gave up orton, two firsts (09 & 10) and a 3rd for cutler and a 5th. I think cutler was still on his rookie deal too so keep that in mind... I'd expect the lions to want at least a wilk and a 1st rounder plus others

chicago gave up orton, two firsts (09 & 10) and a 3rd for cutler and a 5th. I think cutler was still on his rookie deal too so keep that in mind... I'd expect the lions to want at least a wilk and a 1st rounder plus others

Yeesh, good point. 22 is a big number, I'd definitely give up a first. Regardless, I wouldn't want to end up on the bad side of this hypothetical deal lol

holy sh*t I just looked up cro's deal.  he is 100% gone after this year, lol

http://overthecap.com/player/antonio-cromartie/966/'

I think wilk gets tagged, and his number jumps from $7mm to about $14 mm, erasing cro's savings

coples is another dead man walking, he will save us almost $8mm which could bring staffords number down to $14mm essentially

http://overthecap.com/player/quinton-coples/1016/

but that leaves the team needing an OLB they aren't cheap

I think he's just too expensive

I would imagine Detroit would definitely be interested in a player like Wilkerson after losing suh and fairley 

"Window is closing because the core is getting old" is an overrated statement. 

Why?

Because we have over $50 millions invested in that core (Revis, Harris, Brick, Mangold, Marshall). When that core retires, we'll have that 50+ mil to spend on new players and pickup a few younger core players besides developing the already existing core (Mo, Richardson, Leo), and then You have Pryor and hopefully Devin Smith. I understand we have no real upcoming core on the offense (yet), but we have time and the opportunity as we do not need to touch that DL for another 5-6 years if we re-sign them all. 

Johnny Manziel can play in this league.  Matt Stafford got his OC fired and he threw for more yards every game than Manziel's career high. 

Stafford has been great.  Love that every time an OC is fired its the QBs fault, not that the OC sucked.  Given how good Stafford has been, I'd say it's on the OC.  Stafford would put every QB we've had since Namath on the bench

What any of this had to do with Manziel, or any other QB being one hit away from injury is the real question.

Stafford has been great.  Love that every time an OC is fired its the QBs fault, not that the OC sucked.  Given how good Stafford has been, I'd say it's on the OC.  Stafford would put every QB we've had since Namath on the bench

What any of this had to do with Manziel, or any other QB being one hit away from injury is the real question.

Even Favre or 1998 Vinny?? :o

His cap number wouldn't be $22M for the Jets, since we wouldn't be hit with the prorated portion of his bonus.  Would be just his base salaries: 17M in 2016 and 16.5M in 2017.  That's not cheap, either - but probably appropriate to his market (at an average of 16.75M per year, he would be the 16th highest paid QB by average annual salary, sliding back behind Peyton Manning and ahead of Carson Palmer).

His cap number wouldn't be $22M for the Jets, since we wouldn't be hit with the prorated portion of his bonus.  Would be just his base salaries: 17M in 2016 and 16.5M in 2017.  That's not cheap, either - but probably appropriate to his market (at an average of 16.75M per year, he would be the 16th highest paid QB by average annual salary, sliding back behind Peyton Manning and ahead of Carson Palmer).

OF course, when you looking at it that way you have to consider that he will cost over $10M in dead money to the Lions. 

Beware of guys going backwards.  I like Stafford to some extent, his arm and some of his play.  But he has regressed.  Also people are not exaggerating about the effect of Calvin Johnson.  There have been a lot of plays the last few years where Stafford just heaves it up for grabs knowing that megatron is going to win the battle.  In the end he is not good enough to justify the contract in imo so I pass.

OF course, when you looking at it that way you have to consider that he will cost over $10M in dead money to the Lions. 

Yes, but they'd clear about 12M in cap room in 2016 and 20+M in 2017, so if they're in a position to draft a young QB they like that will still leave them net-cap-positive at the QB position for 2016 (10M dead money plus rookie salary v. 22M for Stafford), and way ahead in 2017 (no dead money).  So the cap hit to Detroit isn't going to be a factor that prevents them from dealing Stafford.

Bottom line, dealing for Stafford is unlikely to be a cap issue for either Detroit or a team that trades for him.  As Beerfish pointed out, the real issue is evaluative: is Stafford worth that much money, and how does the Megatron effect impact your evaluation of him?

Personally, if I'm the Jets I seriously inquire on this one.  A 2 year evaluation period with Stafford making less than top-50% QB money is a worthwhile gamble; if he blossoms into a franchise QB, you can pay him like one, and if not, you can either move on or pay him at the going rate for the tier of QB he belongs in.  For all his flaws, Stafford would immediately be the best QB the Jets have had in decades, and his arm strength would open up the deep routes that Fitzpatrick (who I'm very happy with) can't really hit.  Devin Smith would suddenly have value, and teams wouldn't stack the box/short field as much as they can now.  And the Jets have good enough weapons on offense to take advantage of that; neither Marshall nor Decker is Megatron (who is?) but Marshall is a stud in his own right and Decker would be the best secondary target Stafford's ever had (yes, he's better than Tate).  If Detroit would take it, I'd deal a second round pick + Geno for him.

Archived